What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
February 16th - March 1st:

Columbo: "Murder by the Book" (Season 1, Episode 1, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Death Lends a Hand" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Dead Weight" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Suitable for Framing" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Lady in Waiting" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1971) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "In the Soup" (Season 4, Episode 32, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Community Chest" (Season 4, Episode 33, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Junior Fire Chief" (Season 4, Episode 34, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Frogs" (Season 4, Episode 35, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver Goes in Business" (Season 4, Episode 36, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Kite Day" (Season 4, Episode 37, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Doll Buggy" (Season 4, Episode 38, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Substitute Father" (Season 4, Episode 39, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Wally Goes Steady" (Season 5, Episode 1, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "No Time for Babysitters" (Season 5, Episode 2, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Car" (Season 5, Episode 3, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Birthday" (Season 5, Episode 4, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Cat Problem" (Season 5, Episode 5, 1961) DVD
The Outer Limits: "The Moonstone" (Season 1, Episode 24, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Mutant" (Season 1, Episode 25, 1964) Blu-ray
Gumby: "The Zoops" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1960) DVD
Shazzan: "Master of Thieves / The Living Island" (Episode 1, 1967) MOD DVD-R
Science Fiction Theatre: "When a Camera Fails" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "Bullet Proof" (Season 2, Episode 6, 1956) DVD
In Search of... : "Shark-Worshippers" (Season 2, Episode 12, 1977) DVD
In Search of... : "Anastasia" (Season 2, Episode 13, 1977) DVD
The Fugitive: "World's End" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1964) DVD
The Fugitive: "Man on a String" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1964) DVD
The Andy Griffith Show: "Opie and the Bully" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Barney's Replacement" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Andy and the Woman Speeder" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Mayberry Goes Bankrupt" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Barney on the Rebound" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Opie's Hobo Friend" (Season 2, Episode 6, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Crime-Free Mayberry" (Season 2, Episode 7, 1961) Streaming
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Curious Bride" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Buried Clock" (Season 2, Episode 6, 1958) DVD

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Another fine array of series' reviews, Jeff. I'm unfamiliar with most of them--but due to your commentaries will be watching for any of them to show up on a local channel at some point.
The Rebel was always of favorite of mine when I was a lad---Nick Adams had that "cool" factor to which kids my age would gravitate. He actually made the Confederate biscuit hat look hip.
Too bad his life was wrapped in some salaciousness and a suicide-induced death at age 36...

Thanks for the further detail on Nick Adams, Russ! I was remiss in not referencing his all-too-short life along with the other actresses mentioned in my post. Adams seemed to be one of those tightly-wound, ambitious guys who never quite got where he wanted to go in his career and personal life. I have read some controversy surrounding his death, whether it was a suicide or accidental. At any rate, a tragic, early end to the life of a talented, mercurial performer.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Stuff I watched this week:

Rifleman
Bewitched
Midsommer Murders
Sgt. Preston
Have Gun Will Travel

Good shows, all. It would be cool to see Sergeant Preston again...it's been a looong time since I've seen it. I was a doofus and snoozed on picking up the remastered DVD sets when they first came out...they're OOP and quite expensive now.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Columbo: "Murder by the Book" (Season 1, Episode 1, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Death Lends a Hand" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Dead Weight" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Suitable for Framing" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1971) DVD
Columbo: "Lady in Waiting" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1971) DVD

The best episodes of Columbo were during that first season.
“Murder by the Book" is the masterpiece followed closely by “Death Lends a Hand” thanks to actor Robert Culp… nuff said …
Even the music scores were excellent: see composers Billy Goldenberg and Gil Mellé.
Columbo and Kolchak were the best Universal series of the Seventies all the way!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Good shows, all. It would be cool to see Sergeant Preston again...it's been a looong time since I've seen it. I was a doofus and snoozed on picking up the remastered DVD sets when they first came out...they're OOP and quite expensive now.
Sgt. Preston is a bit dated, but still fun to watch. I didn't realize it made it to DVD...

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
One of the Season 4 Leave It to Beaver episodes I watched, "Community Chest" --where Beaver helps out his mom (who has other commitments) by filling in for her by collecting donations door-to-door for the neighborhood community chest, accompanied by his pal, Gilbert-- yielded some fun bit parts by some familiar faces. The neighbors included:

Dorothy Neumann, who played aging spinsters in movies and TV from the late 1940s through the early 1990s:

SmmPrdT.png

--Here, she lives in what will later be the Munsters' house!

Jn5cDdE.png

Busy B-movie actor Bruno VeSota (Attack of the Giant Leeches, Daddy-O, Rock All Night, A Bucket of Blood, The Wasp Woman), the bargain-rate Orson Welles, who isn't happy that his shower was interrupted:

hokOoUq.png

And, best of all, Lee Meriwether!

jPrDJ9W.png

Her second scene (of two) provided the funniest exchange in the episode. After collecting the donations, Beaver accidentally loses the can holding the money (the can falls out of Beav's back pocket on a city bench, during a stop for ice cream at the end of the job). He breaks the bad news to his dad, who tells him to go back and make the rounds the next day, to find out how much each neighbor donated, so that the amount can be covered. Once again, Gilbert joins him, to "help".

a8jBAKQ.png

4NSiyTc.png

Gilbert: "Excuse me, lady, but this dumb kid lost the money you gave him yesterday."

Lee Meriwether: "For the Community Chest?"

Gilbert: "Yes, ma'am. His father's making him find out what everybody gave him, so he can make it up."

Lee Meriwether: "Oh, well, I think I gave him a dollar."

Gilbert: "Some of the people are giving him the money again, 'cause they feel sorry for him, for being so dumb!" :laugh:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
a8jBAKQ.png

4NSiyTc.png

Gilbert: "Excuse me, lady, but this dumb kid lost the money you gave him yesterday."

Lee Meriwether: "For the Community Chest?"

Gilbert: "Yes, ma'am. His father's making him find out what everybody gave him, so he can make it up."

Lee Meriwether: "Oh, well, I think I gave him a dollar."

Gilbert: "Some of the people are giving him the money again, 'cause they feel sorry for him, for being so dumb!" :laugh:

Funny stuff, Peter! And a nice photo essay. Man, I don't think I've ever seen Lee Meriwether looking so young!

I prefer these LITBs where Jerry Mathers is still (just barely) in the "cute little kid" zone. If I remember right, he goes through quite a growth spurt in those last few seasons and is no longer able to quite pull off that "adorable little squirt" act of his. Are you in for the long haul (i.e. all 6 seasons) with the show?

Between all the positive buzz you, Russ and Tim have been giving LITB lately, you're slowly convincing me to check some of these early episodes out.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Funny stuff, Peter! And a nice photo essay. Man, I don't think I've ever seen Lee Meriwether looking so young!

Yeah, she's pretty young here, plus I don't usually see her with this type of short hairstyle. Maybe she was messing around with the Time Tunnel, after hours, to tweak the results of the Bay of Pigs Invasion or something ("Nobody'll ever know!"). I have seen her in something from a couple of years earlier (this Leave it to Beaver episode is from mid-1961)... she co-starred with Robert Lansing in the sci-fi thriller, The 4D Man (1959)--

6JB3BPk.png

I prefer these LITBs where Jerry Mathers is still (just barely) in the "cute little kid" zone. If I remember right, he goes through quite a growth spurt in those last few seasons and is no longer able to quite pull off that "adorable little squirt" act of his. Are you in for the long haul (i.e. all 6 seasons) with the show?

Sure, I've been a big Leave It to Beaver fan since the early 1980s, so I have the complete series set. Actually, the growth spurt that affects Mathers only starts to factor in the last season or two, mainly Season 6. I'm a handful of episodes into Season 5 right now, and it's not detrimental at all, though he isn't quite the cute little kid he was in the first few seasons. He doesn't seem to be too old for the part, however.

They also mature Beaver's personality just a bit; he still does some stupid kid stuff, but he's a bit wiser and more responsible, as well as starting to chafe a little about being treated like a little kid. Somewhere around this season or the next, he also starts to get interested in girls. Additionally, there's compensation in the fact that there's a lot of Wally-centric episodes, and Eddie and Lumpy get funnier as they get older. Beaver manages to zing Eddie more frequently, too, which is very comically satisfying. Example: in the late Season 4 episode, "Wally and Dudley", Eddie is visiting Wally and Beaver in their room, about to unveil his plan to set up Dudley for another practical joke at the party Marta Kristen is throwing for the teenage set, since Wally is a little embarrassed to be hanging around with this oddball new kid--

Eddie: "Hey Wally, don't say I never did anything for ya!" (chuckles)

Wally: "What?"

Eddie: "You're gonna flip!" (chuckles some more)

Beaver: "You're moving away, Eddie?"

Eddie: "No! Pipe down, squirt!" :laugh:

Also interesting is the parade of young actresses playing local girls interested in Wally. In addition to Marta Kristen, I've seen Candy Moore (who played Gil Favor's older daughter, "Gillian" in a couple of episodes of Rawhide, and was Lucille Ball's daughter, "Chris", in the first 3 seasons of The Lucy Show) in Season 4's "Mother's Helper"--

zZAnMSY.png

The Kim Novak-like Mary Mitchel (from Panic in Year Zero! (1962), Dementia 13 (1963) and Spider Baby (1963/67)!), in Season 5's "Wally Goes Steady"--

5Y5j9Xg.png

And Barbara Parkins, later star of the full run of TV's Peyton Place (1964-69) and Valley of the Dolls (1967), as Beaver's babysitter, in Season 5's "No Time for Babysitters"--

bZFwW96.png

Between all the positive buzz you, Russ and Tim have been giving LITB lately, you're slowly convincing me to check some of these early episodes out.

Good to hear, but these episodes I'm currently talking about are pretty late in the series' run... I'm watching the 1961-62 season (the most shocking change is June Cleaver's bigger/different hairdo!), and only have a little over a season-and-a-half left to go!

kVh7gF0.png

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm currently watching S3 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I'd put it off a while due to all the negativity on the season, how it succumbed to "Batmania" and became campy. I'm absolutely sure I didn't watch this season during its original airing as it came on opposite the last half hour of The Time Tunnel. So...

Oh my... yes, it's pretty much gone into high gear with camp and a lowering of production values. First off, the new theme is "jazzy" and has a more "action/adventure" feeling. There seems to be more use of rear projections for foreign locations, obvious stock footage, obvious set bound outdoor scenes, and music that frequently sounds like it's channeling, if not outright borrowing, that used on Batman. U.N.C.L.E. seems less a spy organization than a planetary police force. The "bad guys" just look at Solo and Kuryakin and immediately say "There's an U.N.C.L.E. man!"

All in all, it's lesser but still enjoyable. Mostly. There've been a few episodes that are just groan inducing. One opened with an extended musical number in a stage play, that IMHO is pretty bad, and just went downhill from there.

A two parter had both Jack Palance *and* Janet Leigh but played more like a Batman episode without Batman. It's one of the better episodes I've seen so far but still a far cry from the more serious first two seasons.

At this point I can absolutely see why viewers were dropping out. It didn't help that it came on opposite Hogan's Heroes, which was #17 for the season, and the last half hour of The Time Tunnel.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Good to hear, but these episodes I'm currently talking about are pretty late in the series' run... I'm watching the 1961-62 season (the most shocking change is June Cleaver's bigger/different hairdo!), and only have a little over a season-and-a-half left to go!

kVh7gF0.png

Yikes!

Thanks for the reply, Peter! Sorry for the confusion...by "early" episodes I meant a) the ones where the Beav is younger and b) earlier in the series' run because I only own the first 3 seasons. They were a gift from a friend who received the complete series set. I gladly accepted them because I thought it was a good idea to have such an iconic show in my collection...yet I've not watched more than a single episode since receiving them. As I've mentioned before (after some of Russ' detailed reviews of the series), I watched this show a lot as a kid, but not because I liked it particularly (it was never a favorite), but because...well, I was a kid, and I watched pretty much everything. ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just finished a trifecta of episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. that are pretty much guaranteed to completely turn you off of this series. Anyone who was still watching in 1966 probably had huge second thoughts after watching these episodes:

"The Abominable Snowman Affair" (IMDB 4.7) - Solo and Kuryakin investigate a plot in Ghupat, a nation in the Himalayas.

When the opening scene has a "native" who looks like a mole man you know you're in trouble.

"The My Friend the Gorilla Affair" (IMDB 3.7) - Kuryakin is captured while investigating a mysterious threat in an African country. Solo is sent to pick up his trail. The agent encounters a woman simply named Girl who has a pet gorilla named Baby. For reasons not readily apparent, Solo at one point dances with the gorilla.

Featuring a "Tarzan" yell that sounds like it was lifted from one of Jane's calls in the Weissmuller Tarzan movies.

"The Jingle Bells Affair" (IMDB 5.1) - The leader of a country (who appears to be modeled on Nikita Kruschev) is visiting New York City. Solo and Kuryakin must protect him from assassination attempts.

Also features "Santa Claus," a sick boy, Macy's, and Santa battling the baddies.

I think the IMDB scores are a bit generous for these three episodes. They aired on December 9th, 16th, and 23rd in 1966. Maybe they thought no one would be watching during the month or would be watching Christmas Specials on another channel. They certainly provided no reason to watch U.N.C.L.E. those weeks. I can say with certainty that I'll not bother with them again. Since all three are on the same disc it's tempting to label the disc "Skip - not worth the time."

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon

Seasons 3 & 4 are the sweet spot for Leave It To Beaver in my opinion, although all of it can be enjoyed. I think I like those seasons because of Beaver's age and the greater involvement of his and Wally's friends.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I just finished a trifecta of episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. that are pretty much guaranteed to completely turn you off of this series. Anyone who was still watching in 1966 probably had huge second thoughts after watching these episodes:

"The Abominable Snowman Affair" (IMDB 4.7) - Solo and Kuryakin investigate a plot in Ghupat, a nation in the Himalayas.

When the opening scene has a "native" who looks like a mole man you know you're in trouble.

"The My Friend the Gorilla Affair" (IMDB 3.7) - Kuryakin is captured while investigating a mysterious threat in an African country. Solo is sent to pick up his trail. The agent encounters a woman simply named Girl who has a pet gorilla named Baby. For reasons not readily apparent, Solo at one point dances with the gorilla.

Featuring a "Tarzan" yell that sounds like it was lifted from one of Jane's calls in the Weissmuller Tarzan movies.

"The Jingle Bells Affair" (IMDB 5.1) - The leader of a country (who appears to be modeled on Nikita Kruschev) is visiting New York City. Solo and Kuryakin must protect him from assassination attempts.

Also features "Santa Claus," a sick boy, Macy's, and Santa battling the baddies.

I think the IMDB scores are a bit generous for these three episodes. They aired on December 9th, 16th, and 23rd in 1966. Maybe they thought no one would be watching during the month or would be watching Christmas Specials on another channel. They certainly provided no reason to watch U.N.C.L.E. those weeks. I can say with certainty that I'll not bother with them again. Since all three are on the same disc it's tempting to label the disc "Skip - not worth the time."

Wow, that's quite a run of notoriously bad episodes! I've heard "The My Friend the Gorilla Affair" often referred to as the nadir of the series.

I know Peter and others have talked about how the 4th season showed a return to the more serious style of the first, but by then I guess it was too little too late, and only lasted 16 episodes. I've not seen any of the 4th season U.N.C.L.E. episodes, but they can't help but be an improvement.

I still need to pickup S2 of this show on DVD. Or, barring that, the Warner Archive Man from U.N.C.L.E. 8-movie collection.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Seasons 3 & 4 are the sweet spot for Leave It To Beaver in my opinion, although all of it can be enjoyed.

OT: I think similarly that Michael Douglas being with Karl Malden was the sweet spot on The Streets of San Francisco-- the fifth and final one (Hatch/Robbins) is watchable, albeit Hatch wasn't Douglas.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Jeff's Collie (Lassie)
"The Raft" (S2E24) 1956

Even today, when I hear the theme song to Jeff's Collie (Secret of the Silent Hills), it warms the cockles of my heart ("cockles" being what?). A great series that easily made do with just five main stars: Jeff (Tommy Rettig), Ellen Miller (Jan Clayton), Gramps (George Cleveland), Porky (Donnald Keeler), and of course, Lassie (Lassie). The simple one-camera shot of the yard between the Miller's house and the barn (despite being an obvious studio set) remains one of the more iconic scenes of my childhood. I sooo wanted to live on a farm, with a bedroom widow that was open and able to be crawled in and out of by boy and dog.

This story engenders the age-old desire of boys to construct a raft and float down a river as pirates in search of treasure. Jeff and Porky are busy trying to build a seaworthy craft using old lumber and Gramps' gruff instructions. Porky bangs his thumb while hammering in a nail and Gramps advises sucking his thumb to relieve the pain. Seconds later, Gramps does the same--with Jeff gleefully echoing "Suck it, Gramps!" A good phrase Jeff could have used about a 100 times to the cantankerous old coot over the years.

upload_2019-3-3_18-35-27.jpeg
upload_2019-3-3_18-35-56.jpeg
images

Tommy Rettig and Lassie, Jan Clayton, George Cleveland

Jeff and Porky finish the rickety craft. Ellen wants the them have lunch first before launching, to which Jeff complains wanting to get supplies on board, "We've got to get loaded, Mom!" Oh, way too easy for me to hit that line hard...

Finally, the boys get the raft on the creek and float a bit down the waterway before putting ashore to dig for treasure off a map that Gramps secretly devised. After digging a hole deep enough for a coffin and finding nothing, Porky then digs into a basket of goodies (pie, cake, prime roast, stone crab, caviar) that Ellen has thoughtfully provided and does justice to his moniker. Oink. Meanwhile, the untended raft drifts off as dark storm clouds gather and lightning flashes. Using the combined acumen of mayonnaise, the boys and Lassie jump into the creek to swim back home seemingly unafraid of being fried alive by a lightning strike. Ellen and Gramps, nearly prostrate with grief, hurry to the creek to rescue the kids. All ends well with everyone soaking their feet in tubs of warm water in the kitchen. More pie, anyone?

Randoms
Jan Clayton, although playing the consummate careworn mom in the series, was actually a fine figure of a woman and had extensive Broadway creds before landing her iconic role. After her 16-year old daughter died in a car accident, she sank into alcoholism, but was a able to recover before her death at age 66.

upload_2019-3-3_19-2-21.jpeg

Jan, looking a bit less mommy-like...

George Cleveland was a native of Nova Scotia. His death pretty much put an end to Jeff's Collie series, which then reverted to the pool-sized saccharine opus that featured Timmy (Jon Provost). Tommy Rettig always had a subtle sharpness to his character, which Provost totally lacked--having about as much edge as a marble.

Jeff's Collie was filmed nearly entirely on Stage 1 of KTTV in Los Angeles, occasionally venturing out to surrounding farm-like hills nearby.
Oftentimes you can hear the echo of a sound stage in the scenes around the house and barn.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-3_19-17-50.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-3_19-17-50.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great review as always, Russ! I must hang my head in shame and confess to never having seen a single episode of any of the various Lassie incarnations. By child actor standards, Tommy Rettig is pretty good and not overly annoying, so this Jeff's Collie version (along with perhaps the "Lassie wandering alone" years, whatever that one is called) would seem the most interesting for me.

Looks like there's an edited COZI-TV copy of this particular episode on YouTube...might have to check it out later.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Episode Commentary
Jeff's Collie
"The Raft" (S2E24) 1956

Even today, when I hear the theme song to Jeff's Collie (Secret of the Silent Hills), it warms the cockles of my heart ("cockles" being what?). A great series that easily made do with just five main stars: Jeff (Tommy Rettig), Ellen Miller (Jan Clayton), Gramps (George Cleveland), Porky (Donnald Keeler), and of course, Lassie (Lassie). The simple one-camera shot of the yard between the Miller's house and the barn (despite being an obvious studio set) remains one of the more iconic scenes of my childhood. I sooo wanted to live on a farm, with a bedroom widow that was open and able to be crawled in and out of by boy and dog.

This story engenders the age-old desire of boys to construct a raft and float down a river as pirates in search of treasure. Jeff and Porky are busy trying to build a seaworthy craft using old lumber and Gramps' gruff instructions. Porky bangs his thumb while hammering in a nail and Gramps advises sucking his thumb to relieve the pain. Seconds later, Gramps does the same--with Jeff gleefully echoing "Suck it, Gramps!" A good phrase Jeff could have used about a 100 times to the cantankerous old coot over the years.

View attachment 55810 View attachment 55811
images

Tommy Rettig and Lassie, Jan Clayton, George Cleveland

Jeff and Porky finish the rickety craft. Ellen wants the them have lunch first before launching, to which Jeff complains wanting to get supplies on board, "We've got to get loaded, Mom!" Oh, way too easy for me to hit that line hard...

Finally, the boys get the raft on the creek and float a bit down the waterway before putting ashore to dig for treasure off a map that Gramps secretly devised. After digging a hole deep enough for a coffin and finding nothing, Porky then digs into a basket of goodies (pie, cake, prime roast, stone crab, caviar) that Ellen has thoughtfully provided and does justice to his moniker. Oink. Meanwhile, the untended raft drifts off as dark storm clouds gather and lightning flashes. Using the combined acumen of mayonnaise, the boys and Lassie jump into the creek to swim back home seemingly unafraid of being fried alive by a lightning strike. Ellen and Gramps, nearly prostrate with grief, hurry to the creek to rescue the kids. All ends well with everyone soaking their feet in tubs of warm water in the kitchen. More pie, anyone?

Randoms
Jan Clayton, although playing the consummate careworn mom in the series, was actually a fine figure of a woman and had extensive Broadway creds before landing her iconic role. After her 16-year old daughter died in a car accident, she sank into alcoholism, but was a able to recover before her death at age 66.

View attachment 55812
Jan, looking a bit less mommy-like...

George Cleveland was a native of Nova Scotia. His death pretty much put an end to Jeff's Collie series, which then reverted to the pool-sized saccharine opus that featured Timmy (Jon Provost). Tommy Rettig always had a subtle sharpness to his character, which Provost totally lacked--having about as much edge as a marble.

Jeff's Collie was filmed nearly entirely on Stage 1 of KTTV in Los Angeles, occasionally venturing out to surrounding farm-like hills nearby.
Oftentimes you can hear the echo of a sound stage in the scenes around the house and barn.
Good review - I haven't watched this since I was a kid.
I remember Jeff well but for me - I wanted to be mothered by June Lockhart. (Later Lassie series)
june04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks