What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (6 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I do not believe that 2nd photo is the same Pauline Moran that plays Miss Lemon. There are subtle differences. Eye color, eye shape, mouth shape, eyebrows (I've found no other style Ms. Moran used other than what she sports with Miss Lemon) and nose are all slightly different. I've also found no other site, other than one Pinterest page, which uses that photo.
621full-pauline-moran.jpg

You may be right but she looks similar to me. Mouth and jowls in particular. I can't prove it one way or tother but here is another picture from the Killing Cleopatras. (I'm sure this is her)

Some of these images could go back to when she was the bass player in the She Trinity Rock Group.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Peter Gunn
"Keep Smiling" (S1Ep26)

It's what we've all been anticipating--the 10th annual Bowling Conclave is in town! Every hick and hayseed bowler from small towns just east of nowhere are gathered in one place and become easy pickings for the local grifters.
We meet vixen Emily (Mara Corday), who sashays into the bowling alley wearing a dress that accentuates her female...uh...balcony that truly tests the fidelity of gravity.
She meets up with Sam, her latest blackmail victim, and her two goon accomplices end up whacking him with--what else--a bowling ball. Lt. Jacoby (Herschel Bernardi) and team find the body floating in the bay.
The head of the bowling tournament Eric Woolrich (Jackie Coogan), another victim of her blackmail racket, hires Peter to retrieve incriminating evidence that Emily has on him.

images
images
upload_2019-2-14_12-53-7.jpeg

Mara Corday--Playboy's Miss October 1958; Jackie Coogan--yep..Uncle Fester himself, Herschel Bernardi

Against Jacoby's wishes, Peter sets himself up as Emily's next target, posing as a bowling bumpkin proudly wearing the bowling tournament ribbon badge and sporting a flashy bow tie. As a rural yokel, he's about as believable as Cary Grant in bib overalls and a fishing pole.
Peter hangs out in the Bamboo Club waiting for the femme fatale to appear. As backup, Lt. Jacoby plays his wingman and is about as useful as swim fins on a cat. Emily finally appears, and Peter immediately attaches himself to her like a barnacle on a pier piling. At first, she acts as distant as the cheese side of the moon.
"You city girls--gee, you're...you're... just different " gushes Pete. Jacoby suppresses the urge to hurl.
Emily eventually invites Peter to her apartment and sets up the sting. While they're sucking face with each other, the goons break in to take his picture. Oops--one of them recognizes Peter as a private eye. Fisticuffs and gunfire erupt, but the day belongs to Peter and Jacoby. We kinda knew it would end that way.

Written by Blake Edwards, this episode is directed by one of the sultans of sci-fi, Jack Arnold.

Randoms:
Measurements of 37-24-35 assisted Mara in gaining the title of Most Photographed Model of 1954. That same year, while going out on a date with Audie Murphy, she curtailed him from reaching for his gun over some teens flipping him the bird at a Ventura stoplight.
She had a long and troubled marriage to Richard Long, asking for a divorce no less than 10 times in the first year. At one point in 1961, Long was arrested for beating and strangling her. Charges were dropped. Surprisingly, she stayed married to Long until his death in 1974.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
images

Mara Corday--Playboy's Miss October 1958

Written by Blake Edwards, this episode is directed by one of the sultans of sci-fi, Jack Arnold.

Speaking of 50s sci-fi guru Jack Arnold...most of my memories of Mara Corday come from her appearance as the female lead in Tarantula. She also vamps it up in another 50s big bug gem (not directed by Arnold), The Black Scorpion. She is hot to trot in that one, giving the full court press to star Richard Denning. She had a definite Ava Gardner look about her. She also shows up in a brief bit as the waitress putting too much sugar in Dirty Harry's coffee to signal him about the hold-up in the diner at the beginning of Sudden Impact.

280full.jpg
mara-corday.jpg

Randoms:
Measurements of 37-24-35 assisted Mara in gaining the title of Most Photographed Model of 1954. That same year, while going out on a date with Audie Murphy, she curtailed him from reaching for his gun over some teens flipping him the bird at a Ventura stoplight.
She had a long and troubled marriage to Richard Long, asking for a divorce no less than 10 times in the first year. At one point in 1961, Long was arrested for beating and strangling her. Charges were dropped. Surprisingly, she stayed married to Long until his death in 1974.

That's a disturbing story about Richard Long. I've always liked him a lot in The Big Valley. I haven't seen his work in Bourbon Street Beat but would love to. Sometimes learning too much about the personal lives of actors and actresses is more a curse than a blessing. Generally, though, I'm able to separate the work from the messy private life stuff... otherwise, I'd never be able to still watch and enjoy things like I Spy and Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ha! There's probably hundreds of stories out there about the constant battling going on between the married Long and Corday. The stories are so outlandish as to almost be comical. Like when Corday was in her car, backing up and crashing into their garage numerous times, in response to a drunk Long after he picked up a prostitute at a local bar and brought her home with him!

Eh. That's enough. Not really my thing to broadcast these things. But their marriage sounded pretty cartoonish, in terms of their fights and brawls. In a weird way, they might have been a pretty compatible match-up. I like them both as actors.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ha! There's probably hundreds of stories out there about the constant battling going on between the married Long and Corday. The stories are so outlandish as to almost be comical. Like when Corday was in her car, backing up and crashing into their garage numerous times, in response to a drunk Long after he picked up a prostitute at a local bar and brought her home with him!

Eh. That's enough. Not really my thing to broadcast these things. But their marriage sounded pretty cartoonish, in terms of their fights and brawls. In a weird way, they might have been a pretty compatible match-up. I like them both as actors.

Reminds me of the "Battling Bogarts"...though that one did not end well, especially for Mayo Methot. Bogie did just fine for himself in the end.

150508-bogart-bacall-01.jpg

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Recent forum discussions had a definite influence on the shows I've been watching lately. My favorite episode was the recently acquired Dukes of Hazzard. The episode was over 48 minutes long but when it was over I wish it would have lasted longer.

The Dukes of Hazzard Mrs. Daisy Hogg 4.1
I didn't watch this show when it was on but knew of it. When Amazon Prime added it to the line up I watched some episodes and really enjoyed them. In the past I checked the prices for individual seasons and they were a little high so I didn't pick them up. Sometimes patience pays off because the recently released sets of seasons 1-3 and 4-7 are a great price and they are on single sided discs instead of double sided. I can tell that I'm enjoying an episode if I'm not constantly checking to see how much time is left and that was the case with this one. Without giving too much away, the patrol car at the end of the chase scene is hilarious. A young Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek Next Generation) guest stars as Boss Hogg's nephew.
Plot from IMDB 8.0 (56)
Daisy is smitten by Boss Hogg's handsome, rich nephew, Jamie Lee Hogg, who has come to town to purchase his uncle's grits mill. While romance quickly blossoms and a wedding appears to be on the horizon, it isn't long before Bo and Luke confirm their initial suspicions about Jamie's criminal side as a counterfeiter.

Have Gun Will Travel The Great Mojave Chase 1.3
If it wasn't for the current discussion going on I might not have watched this episode so it pays to frequent this site. This episode was written by none other than Star Trek creator Gene RoddenBerry. The neat thing about Paladin is you never know if he's going to solve problems using his wit or the brute force method so it's always fun to see how he does it. The DVD is pretty elaborate and includes write ups for the cast members of each episode. The picture quality was very good for this episode.
Quotes
Paladin: In various countries I've been served sheep eyes, roast dog and stewed lizard. Compared to this, they were a bargain.
Plot from IMDB 8.2 (102)
Paladin gambles on eluding an accomplished team of man-hunters in their own stretch of arid wasteland - with the help of an unorthodox Army surplus purchase.

The Lone Ranger The Masked Rider 1.14
The Lone Ranger is geared towards a younger audience but I enjoy watching it the same way that I enjoy watching the older cartoons. The strong moralistic theme is nice to see too, you don't see too much of that in shows these days. In one scene when he's offered a drink the lone ranger tells his host he never touches spirits. This episode was from the Mill Creek set but I think I'll go pick up the complete season one and two set that I saw at the local Wal Mart.
Plot from IMDB 7.7 (43)
The Lone Ranger, pretends to be a notorious outlaw known as "The Mask Rider" so he can join a gang that is holding the sheriff's fiancée hostage and save her.

Bewitched And Something Makes Three 1.12
Slowly making my way through season one of Bewitched. I'm more familiar with the later seasons but have to say that I'm enjoying season one as much or even more. The later seasons are more polished but these episodes seem to have more of an early 60s feel like Hazel or the early seasons of My Three Sons. The excellent picture quality really added to the enjoyment of this episode.
Quotes
Louise Tate: ...And Larry, do you know what?
Larry Tate: Yes, I know what! You can't keep your mouth shut, that's what!
Plot from IMDB 7.8 (208)
When a nervous Louise Tate has Samantha go with her to the doctor, Larry overhears them and thinks that Darrin is going to be a father.

Wagon Train The Dora Gray Story 1.20
Watched this episode on MeTV so when this set arrived I wanted to see what got taken out for syndication. There wasn't anything removed that made later scenes confusing but watching the complete episode made it seem much more cohesive. Like the Lone Ranger there is a moralistic theme portrayed where no matter what she does, Flint won't let a woman involved with selling guns to the Indians off the hook. In the end she ends up respecting him for it. This episode included Dan Blocker (Bonanza) and Mike Connors (Mannix) as guest stars.
Plot from IMDB 8.4 (42)
Dora Gray has made some poor choices in her life. Just wanting to get to San Francisco, her latest one involves someone who sells army guns to the Indians and Flint finds himself right in the middle of it.

Rawhide Incident at Poco Tiempo 3.8
Great picture quality, story, and acting. Clint Eastwood really shines in this episode guest starring Agnes Moorehead (Bewitched). My great grandfather migrated to Montana on a cattle drive and my mom was telling me a story about how her dad didn't really care much about TV when it first came out until this show came around. One thing that stood out to me while watching this episode was the attention to detail. When the wagon wheel came loose they diagnose it as not a problem with the wheel but a bent axel and actually show them fixing it. The Drovers other than the trail boss Gil Favor seem to have an easy going manner that seems appropriate to that line of work also.
Plot from IMDB 8.1 (48)
Rowdy and Jim, approached by a makeshift posse, are asked a lot of questions but not given many answers. Taken to the town they were headed anyway it is mostly burnt; the bank robbed, a local priest killed and they look good for all of it.

Emergency Nagging Suspicion 4.4
Things can sure change quickly, it wasn't too long ago that I could watch this show on Netflix or MeTV and now I don't get it at all. I guess the moral is if there's a show you like make sure to buy the DVDs. The format of this show kind of follows the formula used in Adam-12 with multiple work related stops for the paramedics and an overall story between DeSoto and Gage that usually concludes at the end of the episode. In this one John tries to get Roy to tell him his system for picking winners in horse races. The final emergency call got pretty dramatic with the crew assisting the police who are trying to stop a sniper.
Plot from IMDB 8.8 (42)
John is trying to get Roy to give up his "system" for picking winning horses out of the newspaper. The firemen rescue a woman who fell into the lion's cage at the zoo and was bitten, help an exotic dancer who became ill from mono at a strip club, whom Dr. Brackett and Dixie takes care of, then, the paramedics assist an adult who fell off a skateboard into a cactus patch on his rump (then John does the exact same thing), and save a wounded policeman from a sniper.

The Andy Griffith Show TV or Not TV 5.23
There's a great commercial for this show on MeTV that has Aunt Bee singing a tribute to Mayberry that perfectly sums up the virtues of small town life. I think the show's portrayal of small life is a big reason I like it so much. We watched this after really enjoying Don Knotts in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken on Svengoolie. Gavin MacLeod (Love Boat) guest stars in this episode.
Quotes
Barney Fife: Now to the average person, this might just look like a back room, but if these walls could talk...
Andy Taylor: If these walls could talk, they'd probably say "This ain't nothin' but a back room."
Plot from IMDB 8.1 (136)
After Andy is profiled in a national sheriff's magazine as the 'Sheriff Without A Gun', a television production team comes to town to research a possible TV show about Mayberry's sheriff department. Andy suspects something's up when they spend a lot of time checking out the bank.

Cheers No Contest 1.18
The boys in the bar are back with another entertaining episode. I always get a feeling of anticipation when I put in the Cheers DVD, from the opening theme song to the closing notes each episode is pure fun. With the show available on most streaming services and some networks it was hard to make the decision to purchase the set at what seemed like a high price for a sitcom. When the price came down to about $0.19/episode I finally purchased it and never regretted it. This episode featured the real Tip O'Neill in the opening scene which was pretty funny. Diane was featured in the main story and she really shined. It's too bad Shelley Long decided to leave the show because I really enjoy her character.
Quotes
Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill: Actually, I'm Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Norm: Hah! That would make you Tip O'Neill, and me...
[recognizes him]
Norm: ...a horse's butt.
Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill: You said it, not me.
Plot from IMDB 7.7 (353)

Diane reluctantly enters the Miss Boston Barmaid contest, but only so she can publicly denounce the competition as sexist and chauvinistic.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
January 14th - February 15th:

Mr. Novak: "The Risk" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Hello, Miss Phipps" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "To Break a Camel's Back" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "A Feeling for Friday" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Pay the Two Dollars" (Season 1, Episode 10, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Love in the Wrong Season" (Season 1, Episode 11, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Boy Without a Country" (Season 1, Episode 12, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "A Thousand Voices" (Season 1, Episode 13, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "My Name Is Not Legion" (Season 1, Episode 14, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "He Who Can, Does" (Season 1, Episode 15, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Song of Songs" (Season 1, Episode 16, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Exile" (Season 1, Episode 17, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Sparrow on the Wire" (Season 1, Episode 18, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Private Life of Douglas Morgan, Jr." (Season 1, Episode 19, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Death of a Teacher" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "I'm on the Outside" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Chin Up, Mr. Novak" (Season 1, Episode 22, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Fear Is a Handful of Dust" (Season 1, Episode 23, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "How Does Your Garden Grow?" (Season 1, Episode 24, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Tower" (Season 1, Episode 25, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "One Way to Say Goodbye" (Season 1, Episode 26, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Day in the Year" (Season 1, Episode 27, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Moment Without Armor" (Season 1, Episode 28, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Fare Thee Well" (Season 1, Episode 29, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Senior Prom" (Season 1, Episode 30, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Rolling Bones" (Season 1, Episode 39, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Corresponding Corpse" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Lucky Loser" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Pint-Sized Client" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Sardonic Sergeant" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1958) DVD
The Fugitive: "Somebody to Remember" (Season 1, Episode 26, 1964) DVD
The Fugitive: "Never Stop Running" (Season 1, Episode 27, 1964) DVD
The Fugitive: "The Homecoming" (Season 1, Episode 28, 1964) DVD
The Fugitive: "Storm Center" (Season 1, Episode 29, 1964) DVD
The Fugitive: "Man in a Chariot" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1964) DVD
The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: "Menace in the Ice" (Episode 12, 1968) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Track Meet" (Season 4, Episode 18, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Old Buddy" (Season 4, Episode 19, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Tonsils" (Season 4, Episode 20, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "The Big Fish Count" (Season 4, Episode 21, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Poster" (Season 4, Episode 22, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Mother's Helper" (Season 4, Episode 23, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "The Dramatic Club" (Season 4, Episode 24, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Wally and Dudley" (Season 4, Episode 25, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Eddie Spends the Night" (Season 4, Episode 26, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Report Card" (Season 4, Episode 27, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Mistaken Identity" (Season 4, Episode 28, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Dream Girl" (Season 4, Episode 29, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "The School Picture" (Season 4, Episode 30, 1961) DVD
Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Rat" (Season 4, Episode 31, 1961) DVD
The Immortal: "My Brother's Keeper" (Episode 15 --final episode, 1971) DVD
The Outer Limits: "The Bellero Shield" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Children of Spider County" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "Specimen: Unknown" (Season 1, Episode 22, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "Second Chance" (Season 1, Episode 23, 1964) Blu-ray
The Andy Griffith Show: "Barney Gets His Man" (Season 1, Episode 29, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "The Guitar Player Returns" (Season 1, Episode 30, 1961) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Bringing Up Opie" (Season 1, Episode 31, 1961) Streaming
Columbo: "Ransom for a Dead Man" (TV-Movie Series Pilot # 2, 1971) DVD

Recent series: I also watched the remainder of Season 2 of Legion (2018, DVR), Seasons 1-4 of Black Mirror (2011-2017, Streaming), and the first three episodes of Season 3 of Daredevil (2018, Streaming).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Recent forum discussions had a definite influence on the shows I've been watching lately. My favorite episode was the recently acquired Dukes of Hazzard. The episode was over 48 minutes long but when it was over I wish it would have lasted longer.

The Dukes of Hazzard Mrs. Daisy Hogg 4.1
I didn't watch this show when it was on but knew of it. When Amazon Prime added it to the line up I watched some episodes and really enjoyed them. In the past I checked the prices for individual seasons and they were a little high so I didn't pick them up. Sometimes patience pays off because the recently released sets of seasons 1-3 and 4-7 are a great price and they are on single sided discs instead of double sided. I can tell that I'm enjoying an episode if I'm not constantly checking to see how much time is left and that was the case with this one. Without giving too much away, the patrol car at the end of the chase scene is hilarious. A young Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek Next Generation) guest stars as Boss Hogg's nephew.
Plot from IMDB 8.0 (56)
Daisy is smitten by Boss Hogg's handsome, rich nephew, Jamie Lee Hogg, who has come to town to purchase his uncle's grits mill. While romance quickly blossoms and a wedding appears to be on the horizon, it isn't long before Bo and Luke confirm their initial suspicions about Jamie's criminal side as a counterfeiter.

Have Gun Will Travel The Great Mojave Chase 1.3
If it wasn't for the current discussion going on I might not have watched this episode so it pays to frequent this site. This episode was written by none other than Star Trek creator Gene RoddenBerry. The neat thing about Paladin is you never know if he's going to solve problems using his wit or the brute force method so it's always fun to see how he does it. The DVD is pretty elaborate and includes write ups for the cast members of each episode. The picture quality was very good for this episode.
Quotes
Paladin: In various countries I've been served sheep eyes, roast dog and stewed lizard. Compared to this, they were a bargain.
Plot from IMDB 8.2 (102)
Paladin gambles on eluding an accomplished team of man-hunters in their own stretch of arid wasteland - with the help of an unorthodox Army surplus purchase.

The Lone Ranger The Masked Rider 1.14
The Lone Ranger is geared towards a younger audience but I enjoy watching it the same way that I enjoy watching the older cartoons. The strong moralistic theme is nice to see too, you don't see too much of that in shows these days. In one scene when he's offered a drink the lone ranger tells his host he never touches spirits. This episode was from the Mill Creek set but I think I'll go pick up the complete season one and two set that I saw at the local Wal Mart.
Plot from IMDB 7.7 (43)
The Lone Ranger, pretends to be a notorious outlaw known as "The Mask Rider" so he can join a gang that is holding the sheriff's fiancée hostage and save her.

Bewitched And Something Makes Three 1.12
Slowly making my way through season one of Bewitched. I'm more familiar with the later seasons but have to say that I'm enjoying season one as much or even more. The later seasons are more polished but these episodes seem to have more of an early 60s feel like Hazel or the early seasons of My Three Sons. The excellent picture quality really added to the enjoyment of this episode.
Quotes
Louise Tate: ...And Larry, do you know what?
Larry Tate: Yes, I know what! You can't keep your mouth shut, that's what!
Plot from IMDB 7.8 (208)
When a nervous Louise Tate has Samantha go with her to the doctor, Larry overhears them and thinks that Darrin is going to be a father.

Wagon Train The Dora Gray Story 1.20
Watched this episode on MeTV so when this set arrived I wanted to see what got taken out for syndication. There wasn't anything removed that made later scenes confusing but watching the complete episode made it seem much more cohesive. Like the Lone Ranger there is a moralistic theme portrayed where no matter what she does, Flint won't let a woman involved with selling guns to the Indians off the hook. In the end she ends up respecting him for it. This episode included Dan Blocker (Bonanza) and Mike Connors (Mannix) as guest stars.
Plot from IMDB 8.4 (42)
Dora Gray has made some poor choices in her life. Just wanting to get to San Francisco, her latest one involves someone who sells army guns to the Indians and Flint finds himself right in the middle of it.

Great picture quality, story, and acting. Clint Eastwood really shines in this episode guest starring Agnes Moorehead (Bewitched). My great grandfather migrated to Montana on a cattle drive and my mom was telling me a story about how her dad didn't really care much about TV when it first came out until this show came around. One thing that stood out to me while watching this episode was the attention to detail. When the wagon wheel came loose they diagnose it as not a problem with the wheel but a bent axel and actually show them fixing it. The Drovers other than the trail boss Gil Favor seem to have an easy going manner that seems appropriate to that line of work also.
Plot from IMDB 8.1 (48)
Rowdy and Jim, approached by a makeshift posse, are asked a lot of questions but not given many answers. Taken to the town they were headed anyway it is mostly burnt; the bank robbed, a local priest killed and they look good for all of it.

Emergency Nagging Suspicion 4.4
Things can sure change quickly, it wasn't too long ago that I could watch this show on Netflix or MeTV and now I don't get it at all. I guess the moral is if there's a show you like make sure to buy the DVDs. The format of this show kind of follows the formula used in Adam-12 with multiple work related stops for the paramedics and an overall story between DeSoto and Gage that usually concludes at the end of the episode. In this one John tries to get Roy to tell him his system for picking winners in horse races. The ending emergency got pretty dramatic with the crew assisting the police who are trying to stop a sniper.
Plot from IMDB 8.8 (42)
John is trying to get Roy to give up his "system" for picking winning horses out of the newspaper. The firemen rescue a woman who fell into the lion's cage at the zoo and was bitten, help an exotic dancer who became ill from mono at a strip club, whom Dr. Brackett and Dixie takes care of, then, the paramedics assist an adult who fell off a skateboard into a cactus patch on his rump (then John does the exact same thing), and save a wounded policeman from a sniper.

The Andy Griffith Show TV or Not TV 5.23
There's a great commercial for this show on MeTV that has Aunt Bee singing a tribute to Mayberry that perfectly sums up the virtues of small town life. I think the show's portrayal of small life is a big reason I like it so much. We watched this after really enjoying Don Knotts in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken on Svengoolie. Gavin MacLeod (Love Boat) guest stars in this episode.
Quotes
Barney Fife: Now to the average person, this might just look like a back room, but if these walls could talk...
Andy Taylor: If these walls could talk, they'd probably say "This ain't nothin' but a back room."
Plot from IMDB 8.1 (136)
After Andy is profiled in a national sheriff's magazine as the 'Sheriff Without A Gun', a television production team comes to town to research a possible TV show about Mayberry's sheriff department. Andy suspects something's up when they spend a lot of time checking out the bank.

Cheers No Contest 1.18
The boys in the bar are back with another entertaining episode. I always get a feeling of anticipation when I put in the Cheers DVD, from the opening theme song to the closing notes each episode is pure fun. With the show available on most streaming services and some networks it was hard to make the decision to purchase the set at what seemed like a high price for a sitcom. When the price came down to about $0.19/episode I finally purchased it and never regretted it. This episode featured the real Tip O'Neill in the opening scene which was pretty funny. Diane was featured in the main story and she really shined. It's too bad Shelley Long decided to leave the show because I really enjoy her character.
Quotes
Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill: Actually, I'm Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Norm: Hah! That would make you Tip O'Neill, and me...
[recognizes him]
Norm: ...a horse's butt.
Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill: You said it, not me.
Plot from IMDB 7.7 (353)

Diane reluctantly enters the Miss Boston Barmaid contest, but only so she can publicly denounce the competition as sexist and chauvinistic.

Wow, Steve, what a great batch of shows!

Big fan of the westerns you mentioned above, and of course for classic comedy you can't go wrong with Bewitched and The Andy Griffith Show. Two shows I haven't seen in a long while are The Dukes of Hazzard and Emergency! I remember watching some of Emergency! with my mom when I was little...the only memory I retain of it is the scene where the attractive blonde woman gets her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet and has to be rescued...I'd like to check the series out again, but the Complete Series set is a bit expensive for what would essentially be a blind buy at this stage. Season 1 is cheap enough, though...

I was a teen when Dukes aired, and of course like most teen boys I was impressed with the car stunts and gobsmacked by sexy Catherine Bach in her "Daisy Dukes." Haven't seen the show since...might be worth picking up the first season for some James Best "Roscoe P. Coltrane" action.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I remember watching some of Emergency! with my mom when I was little...the only memory I retain of it is the scene where the attractive blonde woman gets her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet and has to be rescued...I'd like to check the series out again, but the DVD sets are a bit expensive at the moment.

I recall also (unrelated) that a similar storyline is what happened to Susan Sullivan's character Maggie Gioberti Channing at the top of the ninth and final go of Falcon Crest (1989-90); unfortunately, unlike the Emergency! scene you saw, Maggie could not be rescued (also, Maggie got her finger stuck, not her toe [and Maggie's accident was in a pool drain, not a bathtub]).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
January 14th - February 15th:

Mr. Novak: "The Risk" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Hello, Miss Phipps" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "To Break a Camel's Back" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "A Feeling for Friday" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Pay the Two Dollars" (Season 1, Episode 10, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Love in the Wrong Season" (Season 1, Episode 11, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Boy Without a Country" (Season 1, Episode 12, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "A Thousand Voices" (Season 1, Episode 13, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "My Name Is Not Legion" (Season 1, Episode 14, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "He Who Can, Does" (Season 1, Episode 15, 1963) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Song of Songs" (Season 1, Episode 16, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Exile" (Season 1, Episode 17, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Sparrow on the Wire" (Season 1, Episode 18, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Private Life of Douglas Morgan, Jr." (Season 1, Episode 19, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Death of a Teacher" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "I'm on the Outside" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Chin Up, Mr. Novak" (Season 1, Episode 22, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Fear Is a Handful of Dust" (Season 1, Episode 23, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "How Does Your Garden Grow?" (Season 1, Episode 24, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Tower" (Season 1, Episode 25, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "One Way to Say Goodbye" (Season 1, Episode 26, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Day in the Year" (Season 1, Episode 27, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Moment Without Armor" (Season 1, Episode 28, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "Fare Thee Well" (Season 1, Episode 29, 1964) MOD DVD-R
Mr. Novak: "The Senior Prom" (Season 1, Episode 30, 1964) MOD DVD-R

Looks like you polished off S1 of Mr. Novak in short order, Peter. What did you think of the series overall?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I was a teen when Dukes aired, and of course like most teen boys I was impressed with the car stunts and gobsmacked by sexy Catherine Bach in her "Daisy Dukes."
Yo, Jeff....some of us septuagenarians are still gobsmacked by Catherine Bach in her Daisy Dukes. We may be old, but we ain't dead.
.the only memory I retain of it is the scene where the attractive blonde woman gets her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet and has to be rescued
Reminds me of the Dick Van Dyke episode where Laura Petrie gets her big toe stuck in the tub's faucet. Rob calls the plumber before he realizes that the guy will be seeing his wife naked in trying to extricate her.

upload_2019-2-16_7-53-52.jpeg

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Steve, I heartily agree with Jeff--you've presented us with a great batch of shows! I am always impressed by commentaries that contain a personal slant to the shows. Looking forward to more reviews from you.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Wow, Steve, what a great batch of shows!

Big fan of the westerns you mentioned above, and of course for classic comedy you can't go wrong with Bewitched and The Andy Griffith Show. Two shows I haven't seen in a long while are The Dukes of Hazzard and Emergency! I remember watching some of Emergency! with my mom when I was little...the only memory I retain of it is the scene where the attractive blonde woman gets her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet and has to be rescued...I'd like to check the series out again, but the Complete Series set is a bit expensive for what would essentially be a blind buy at this stage. Season 1 is cheap enough, though...

I was a teen when Dukes aired, and of course like most teen boys I was impressed with the car stunts and gobsmacked by sexy Catherine Bach in her "Daisy Dukes." Haven't seen the show since...might be worth picking up the first season for James Best Roscoe P. Coltrane action.
I was lucky to get the complete set of Emergency when it went on sale. Season 1 would be a good place to start though. It's funny, when it was on Netflix and MeTV I kind of took it for granted but now that I have the DVDs it's one of the shows that we really look forward to watching.

I kind of look at the Dukes as a funnier more interesting version of the A-team. It has a great ensemble cast, nobody gets killed, and the good guys always win. If you take it for what it is good clean fun and don't expect a deep intricate plot it's a great way to spend an hour. The interaction between Boss Hogg and Roscoe is pretty funny. In the episode I watched Hogg was upset about something so Roscoe lent him a hankie and right before he went to use it Roscoe jerked it away. It looks like Zia has a used very good copy of season two for a pretty good price on amazon which has a lot more episodes than season one.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Yo, Jeff....some of us septuagenarians are still gobsmacked by Catherine Bach in her Daisy Dukes. We may be old, but we ain't dead.

Reminds me of the Dick Van Dyke episode where Laura Petrie gets her big toe stuck in the tub's faucet. Rob calls the plumber before he realizes that the guy will be seeing his wife naked in trying to extricate her.

View attachment 55349
That's the one I was going to mention too.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Steve, you mentioned The Lone Ranger not taking a drink.

On the radio shows there was a rule that The Lone Ranger and Sgt. Preston were never to be seen in saloons. You will notice that the bad guys always hang out in cafes.

The TV shows followed the rule. With thousands of radio episodes I am not sure if the radio shows were always able to keep to that rule.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Steve, I heartily agree with Jeff--you've presented us with a great batch of shows! I am always impressed by commentaries that contain a personal slant to the shows. Looking forward to more reviews from you.
Thanks, I've learned a lot about buying and viewing preferences from other people here so I try to mention things that might be helpful.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Steve, you mentioned The Lone Ranger not taking a drink.

On the radio shows there was a rule that The Lone Ranger and Sgt. Preston were never to be seen in saloons. You will notice that the bad guys always hang out in cafes.

The TV shows followed the rule. With thousands of radio episodes I am not sure if the radio shows were always able to keep to that rule.
Thanks Bob great insight. I think I'm going to check youtube for old lone ranger radio broadcasts.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

View attachment 55349

Haven't seen that particular Dick Van Dyke Show episode, Russ, but now I want to! Coincidentally, I just watched a great one the other night, "One Angry Man," with the aforementioned Sue Ane Langdon guest starring. More on that anon...

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Plot from IMDB 8.1 (48)

As a reminder

RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Episode #8
“Incident at Poco Tiempo”
written by Buckley Angell
directed by Ted Magnum Force Post
cast: Agnes Moorehead, Gigi Perreau, Carolyn Hughes, Lew Gallo, Stewart Bradley

It’s a solo assignment (Yates/Quince) episode and a blackmail episode in which two nuns are forced by two robbers to travel to another town to make a money delivery so that they spare their padre. One scene shines and foreshadows the feel of Dirty Harry at 30:04: at night, Rowdy Yates discreetly follows the nuns on a buggy run when a traveler from the stagecoach steals their money bag and Yates appears and does his Inspector Callahan mannerism with the the punk, if you catch my meaning. Funny how the best or the unusual episodes are directed by Ted Post. Speaking of nuns, actor Clint Eastwood will later star in Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks