1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Hmmm. Sounds like an interesting show. Will check and see if Netflix Japan have it.

3. Message #1423 of 1850 Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    "The Republic of Doyle". You can catch it on Netflix. Ran about 5 seasons--a comedy / drama about a family of private eyes in Newfoundland. Alan Hawco stars in it and is highly engaging.

Sorry for the erroneous empty posts above. One should never attempt a "Reply" on a cell phone.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Shetland was great! I had forgotten that McGinley was in that series as well. Sort of a sister show to HinterLand.
    I'm a sucker for police procedurals in gawd-awful climates.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yeah, that last series of Shetland was a real heart-breaker. Hinterland was excellent as well, but soooooo dark. Can't take a steady diet of that show (a few too many shows like it these days for my tastes), but there's no denying it's well done.

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  6. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Is that the vice squad knocking at your door, Jeff? :rolling-smiley:

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the recommendation, Howie! I've had S1 of Gomer Pyle in my wishlist for a while now.

Flashgear likes this.
  8. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Actually, where Sally Field really knocks me out is in Hooper.

[​IMG]

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and BobO'Link like this.
  9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Whew yeah. True dat.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Great background info, Howie! Did not know that Jock Mahoney was Sally Field's stepfather.

11. Message #1431 of 1850 Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Mr. Novak - Season 1
    He Who Can Does (1.15) Edward Mulhare. Miss Pagano has a past. Rand Hardy had a "lost" weekend (three weeks) with our Vice Principal and is trying to find her again. She wants nothing to do with him. A rather soapy episode that I feel is the one misfire I have seen so far.

Perry Mason - Season 6
    The Case of the Skeleton's Closet (6.26) Keith Andes, Peggy McKay, Frank Aletter, Michael Pate, David Lewis, Dabbs Greer. Appears to be a case of Peyton Place with Perry as the attorney hired to stop publication of the tell all story. Naturally murder of the author occurs and Perry must aid his client who was heard making death threats.

The Case of the Potted Planter (6.27) Constance Ford, Diane Brewster, Paul Fix, Mark Goddard, Joe Maross, Robert Bray. Jealous husband is checking on his wife. He has many suspects for the "cheater"; his nephew and an old acquaintance who is in debt to him. Husband is killed and we find out the husband has been "gambling' to hide his assets before he divorces his wife. Perry has to sort out the lies to uncover the truth.

The Case of the Witless Witness - Season Finale (6.28) Robert Middleton, David White,Jackie Coogan, Steve Brodie, Florida Friebus, Vaughn Taylor, Lee Bergere. A sitting judge has been tapped for Lt. Governor. He and Perry are courtroom acquaintances. The judge becomes entangled in a circumstantial corruption case that ends in murder. Who ya gonna call? The judges secretary enlists help from Perry.

This is the final episode in the second big Perry Mason volume I have purchased from WalMart. The third and final set is not out yet and may never be. If the big combo set is not released, what I have will be fine. I have enjoyed going through this second volume and remember some of these cases.

Gunsmoke - Season 6
    Friend's Pay-Off (6.1) Mike Road, Tom Reese. A friend's of Matt's (Ab) has been shot. As he recovers, Ab fears a visitor. Matt learns a suprising fact.

The Blacksmith (6.2) George Kennedy, Anna-Lisa, Robert Anderson. An immigrant blacksmith runs afoul of race hatred. George Kennedy is fun to watch.

Small Water (6.3) Trevor Bardette, Warren Oates. Matt picks a man because he has received a wanted poster. The man claims innocence and his sons surround Matt and Chester to prove it.

Say Uncle (6.4) Gene Neslon, Dorothy Green, Richard Rust, Roy Barcroft. A visiting Uncle just happens to be around when his brother dies. The son suspects the uncle. Matt investigates.

Shooting Stopover (6.5) Anthony Caruso, Patricia Barry, Robert Brubaker. Matt transfers a prisoner via stagecoach that just happens to be carrying gold. A robbery attempt is made at the stagecoach stopover.

The Peace Officer (6.6) Susan Cummings, Lane Bradford, Arthur Peterson. Matt is summoned to Tascosa to help the citizens unseat a crooked Sheriff.

Don Matteo (6.7) Bing Russell, Lawrence Dobkin, Barney Phillips. An old friend shows up looking for revenge and it seems his path will cross a line Matt cannot allow.

Lost In Space - Complete Series - Remastered Widescreen (Budget Release)
    A childhood favorite, at least the first season. Some memorable episodes loaded with bad effects and overacting. All part of its charm. I enjoyed this first disc and I have some favorites scattered throughout the rest of the series.

The Reluctant Stowaway (1.1) 1997, the year of colonization. I have always enjoyed Dr. Smith in these opening episodes as he is most definitely 'the heavy". I truly wish he could've stayed that way before being pushed out of an airlock. A missed opportunity in my opinion. Never really understood why weightlessness had to be portrayed as upside down.

The Derelict (1.2) First contact LIS style. Dr. Smith shoots first and doesn't ask questions.

Island In The Sky (1.3) John is on a space walk (upside down weightless, again) and accidentally ends up being pulled into the planet's gravity. Major West lands the ship to search. They are "home" for now.

There Were Giants In The Earth (1.4) More trials for our weary castaways. Giant growing vegetables, giants, extreme cold that causes them to abandon the Jupiter 2 as well as Dr. Smith. They uncover a lost civilization that holds danger.

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Good stuff, Doug! You remind me that I have the first season set of Lost in Space sitting on my shelf (think it's the 2004 set). A friend gave it to me years ago when he received the complete series Blu-Ray, but I've yet to watch an episode. Perhaps I need to remedy that. I have heard that the beginning of S1 is pretty strong, certainly much better than the campier seasons 2 and 3.. Your reviews (and Irwin Allen's track record with shows that start out strong and gradually peter out into silliness) bear that out.

Doug Wallen, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  13. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    Star Trek TOS The Cage (Extended Version from the Season 3 Blu ray.. w/ Roddenberry Commentary)
    Star Trek TOS All our yesterdays, Turnabout Intruder.
    Star Trek TNG Season 1 Encounter at Farpoint, Where No one has Gone before, Justice

14. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I think I've seen every episode of Perry Mason--some several times. Until I plugged into this thread, I never paid attention to the differentiation of the seasons. Thanks for your recaps, Doug, as they not only remind me of the episodes I've seen, but also encourages me to go back and watch some of my favorites and maybe create a few commentaries of my own.

15. Message #1435 of 1850 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    Maverick
    "A Fellow's Brother" (S3Ep11)

Brett rides into town and is immediately set upon by young Smoky Vaughn (Gary Vinson), who thinks Brett is a famous gunfighter. Smoky's sis Holly (Diane McBain) spends the better part of her time looking about as unsexy as I've ever seen Diane McBain, while trying to keep her brother in line. Smoky sticks to Brett like a persistent tick on a buffalo's ear.
    Maverick is trying to collect some old debts in order to scare up an ante stake in a big upcoming poker game. Before that gets accomplished, he's mistaken for someone who robbed Wells Fargo of $50,000 and killed an employee. Brett's being stalked by a bounty hunter and the town's sheriff, who--combined--have the pooled wisdom of tar paper. In addition, the brother of the employee that Brett supposedly killed is looking for revenge. You following all this? Several repeated iterations of "A brother has to avenge his brother's death, brother" recur ad nauseam.

upload_2019-2-11_10-6-59. upload_2019-2-11_10-7-16. upload_2019-2-11_10-7-43.
    Gary Vinson and James Garner, an unusually plain Diane McBain, a whole bunch of guys looking to kill Maverick

Maverick is about 10 steps ahead of those seeking his hide, and hatches a scheme on how to easily raise his poker ante money by convoluting the Wells Fargo robbery to his advantage. In doing so, he throws his brother Bart temporarily under the bus. A wild goose chase for the stolen money ensues, one in which Brett comes out ahead.
    In the end, Holly asks Brett to teach her brother "prudence, modesty and humiliation". All traits that have never seen the inside of Maverick's saddlebag of attributes.

A nice little comedic episode that highlights the anti-heroism of Maverick, which was an unheard-of characteristic of Western champions in this era. Directed by Leslie Goodwins, a former gag writer of two-reel comedies.

Randoms:
    In an uncredited role, Tom Kennedy is one of the card players in Maverick's poker game. Kennedy was one of the stars of the 1930's Torchy Blane film series.

Adam West has an almost throw-away part as a gunfighter who owes Maverick money.

You might remember Gary Vinson as Quartermaster Christy Christopher in McHale's Navy. For reasons generally unknown, Gary shot and killed himself shortly before his 48th birthday.

This is a touch more representative of Diane McBain (at least how I like to remember her)---

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Message #1436 of 1850 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    All the Star Trek: TOS talk got my itch going so I scratched it by bingeing S1 of TOS over the past few days. This time I watched with the "updated" visuals (but *always* the 2.0 audio - it's a superior mix and has the original theme song). They didn't bother me as much as before, well... other than a few episodes, and I think I've figured out that my main issue with them is they're too "clean." They don't have that 60s look or fit the look of the interior shots. The ones that bother me most are those where they redesigned things as well as cleaned them up ("The Corbomite Maneuver" specifically with the spherical ship and its protrusions). I'd still have preferred they kept the designs exact, just cleaner (essentially cleaning up bad mattes). BUT... it is what it is and I *do* have the option of watching with the original visuals so it's good. I *was* surprised at how more accepting of the updates I am today than when I first watched them ~3 years ago. Yes... it's been that long since I last visited this series.

I *always* forget how good S1 is and that there are no true stinkers in that season. I'm hard pressed to select a "favorite" episode but some of those in contention are "The Balance of Terror," "The Corbomite Maneuver," "The Naked Time," "What Are Little Girl's Made Of?" (although I still dislike Majel Barrett in the role of Nurse Chappel), "The Menagerie," "Space Seed," "City on the Edge of Forever," "Shore Leave," "The Galileo Seven," OK... if I keep going I'll have half the episodes or more listed. Suffice it to say that I could do a "needle drop" and be happy with whatever episode came up.

Some favorite moments:

"The Balance of Terror" - The looks given to Mr. Spock when everyone first sees a Romulan.

"What Are Little Girl's Made Of" - When Andrea (Sherry Jackson) kills "Kirk" and walks through the door to see him alive... Ted Cassidy as Ruk is awesome.

"The Galileo Seven" - When Scotty realizes what Spock has done to possibly save them.

"City on the Edge of Forever" - Dr. McCoy: "You deliberately stopped me, Jim. I could have saved her. Do you know what you just did?" Spock: "He knows, Doctor. He knows."
    Spock: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."
    Kirk explaining Mr. Spock's unfortunate rice picking machine accident.
    Spock: [to Kirk] "I'll finish with the furnace." Edith Keeler: [to Kirk] ""Captain." Even when he doesn't say it, he does."
    In spite of how much I like this episode I'd love to see what it would have been had Ellison's original script been filmed. I've read it. It's quite different.

Lots more... I'm really wanting to watch S2 & S3 again but put it off while I watch that BR of S1 of The Andy Griffith Show I picked up recently.

I've watched the first 3 episodes of that, all with the Sponsor bits. They're quite fun and reminded me how many shows did that sort of thing. The worst part of that is they didn't "ring true" to us kids back then and they still have that feeling. The lines feel mostly forced - at least those that specifically mention the sponsor. Still, they're a fun inclusion. I'd like more of that on TV releases from that period as long as you have the option of watching with or without as with the TAGS set.

Every time I watch this series I'm amazed at how good a acting job Ron Howard does at such a young age. I also forget that Andy and Barney are cousins. In one of the episodes Andy tells Barney something along the lines of "If we dismissed all charges because someone was related we'd never issue any tickets!" That makes me want to see the Mayberry family tree. :)

And the menu they put on that set is horrid! OK...maybe that's a bit harsh. It's the music that doesn't quite fit, is louder than the episodes, and loops constantly even if you select to watch an episode at a time. Most DVD sets have a sub menu for episode selection that's typically silent. I do like the visual that loops while the music plays but it's rather unnecessary.

In all fairness, Star Trek:TOS BR also suffers from "music" on the menu that constantly loops but it's not overly loud and doesn't annoy me nearly as much as that music on the BR S1 of TAGS.

Flashgear, Mysto, Jeff Flugel and 2 others like this.
  17. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    Gidget Season 1:
    Episode 1 - Dear Diary: Et Al
    Episode 2 - In God, And Nobody Else We Trust

Well, this forum continues to guide a lot of my viewing choices, so I had to pull this off the shelf. I thought the second episode was actually pretty good, and I can see that if this show had been given a proper chance it could have been a big hit with the teens of the day. I also had no idea that Pete Duel was a regular on the show playing Gidget's brother in-law.

Maverick Season 1
    Episode 9 - Stampede

A fun episode featuring Efrem Zimbalist Jr. in what may be a continuing role as a con man to rival Bret. There were so many cons going on I needed a score card but it was a lot of fun.

18. Message #1438 of 1850 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    It was James Garner's light touch and innate likeability that could leaven those "anti-heroism" characteristics of Maverick which really made the show work. I enjoy when Jack Kelly takes the lead as Bart, too (he does do especially well in the more dramatic episodes), but he lacks that special spark which Garner brought to the show. Not to disparage Kelly's acting talents...few actors had that special magic that Garner .

And you're right, Russ...that's NOT a good look for the very attractive Diane McBain. The hairstyle doesn't help.

Mysto, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  19. Message #1439 of 1850 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Lots of good comments on Original Recipe Star Trek there, Howie! Though I'm not sure I could agree completely with your no stinkers in Season 1 ruling, not with "The Alternative Factor" in the mix...but overall, it is indeed an extremely strong season with so many classic episodes, many of which you referred to in your post. I like your "needle drop" analogy, and I concur. I feel the same way about S2 for the most part, though there are episodes in both S1 and S2 that I tend to avoid over other particular "favorites" when I pop on the Blu-Rays.

Glad to hear that the updated F/X worked better for you this time out. I like them for the most part, but it is true that some work better than others, depending on how much time and money was spent on them.

BobO'Link likes this.
  20. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    While the sponsor bits on TAGS still seem somewhat forced, they are a real treat to watch (ditto those on the first 3 seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies). Both shows usually did a pretty good job fitting them in to the general storyline of each episode in some way. And both Andy Griffith and Buddy Ebson so believably and naturally inhabit their respective characters that they almost make the obvious insertion of the sponsor's advertising slogans work.

Flashgear and BobO'Link like this.