What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (9 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
The Andy Griffith Show
"Man in a Hurry" (S3Ep16)

Big City Charlotte businessman Malcolm Tucker's (Robert Emhardt) big-ass Lincoln breaks down in Mayberry while on his way to an important meeting the next day. Being Sunday, Malcolm is completely out of luck in obtaining any help towards car repair. Gas station owner Wally has the day off, and station attendant Gomer (Jim Nabors) barely knows how to operate a pump much less inspect a high powered auto.
Andy explains to exasperated Malcolm, "Gomer's just part-time. He's saving up for college so's he can become a doctor." Yep--someday Dr. Gomer's going to be overseeing your triple bypass.

images
images
View attachment 54935
Exasperated Robert Emhardt, Sunday dinner at the Taylor house, rounding out the day

There follows a whole phalanx of homespun vignettes juxtaposing semi-comatose Mayberryites against a highly-vexed business guy frantically climbing life's splintery rungs. For him, dealing with the townsfolk is like trying to sort pie tins in a hail storm. At wit's end, Malcom succumbs to Sunday dinner at Andy's house. Aunt Bee's meals are systematically designed to crush any human impulses toward energy extension.

To this day, I still believe there's no funnier character than Don Knott's bright-as-a-brillo pad Deputy Barney Fife. Leaning back after a gut filling dinner, Barney announces, "Gonna go home, have a nap, then go over to Thelma Lou's to drop some killer acid and listen to Black Sabbath." Okay, I applied a bit of artistic license to that sentence, but you get the drift. Even Malcolm finally relaxes and joins in a warble of "Go Tell Aunt Rhody". If you're not familiar with the song, Aunt Rhody must be told--for whatever reason-- that the old gray goose is dead.

This is a very sweet representative episode of The Andy Griffith Show, the series' obvious success defined by the number of iconic characters that are permanently entwined in classic TV lore.

Randoms:
I was surprised to learn that Robert Emhardt hails from my home town, Indianapolis. Never knew that, nor have I ever seen any tributes to the man in our local media or otherwise. He became sort of TV's Sydney Greenstreet and was a staple in the 60's-70's. Robert was also a founding member of the Actor's Studio. He left us the day after Christmas in 1994 at the age of 80.

Stay tuned---I will have a Leave It To Beaver commentary coming up soon to read. Well, actually, if you have something better to do--please--by all means....

This is my all-time favorite Andy Griffith Show episode. Just absolutely perfect in every way, and even sort of touching, as you can see big city businessman Tucker slowly unwind and become more human..and eventually not want to leave Mayberry. I especially love the chatty old birds who won't get off the party line when Tucker is trying to call out. The 50th Anniversary DVD set (and the S1 Blu-Ray) have the original sponsor spots included, and we hear the gossipy old gals return in the Sanka tag at the end of this episode.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It's rare I purchase one I don't like in some fashion and your comments really make me want to pick up others I've never seen or rarely watched during their original runs.

That's been much my experience as well. Pretty much every 70s cop or detective show - most dramas of any stripe, actually - I've picked on DVD I really enjoy today, including many which I never really watched back when they were first run. I was aware of them, of course... I just didn't care for them. Now I think they're great. Shows like McCloud, McMillan & Wife, Cannon, Columbo, Barnaby Jones, etc. Luckily the 70s, like the 60s, are pretty well represented on DVD. Still lots to catch up on!

I never did care much for The Six Million Dollar Man or The Bionic Woman although I would watch Woman on occasion just for Lindsay Wagner. Of all things it was the sound effects and slo-mo work on the shows that absolutely turned me off.

That's funny, as the sound effects, etc. is what most uberfans of those two shows remember most. I'm guessing you were older and grown up when the Bionic shows were airing, and so found them silly and juvenile. The really big fans of those shows seem to have been between 6 and 12 years old when they first saw them. That's probably the perfect demographic to respond to them unironically. That said, I still find them pretty entertaining today. Surprisingly, watching Six Million Dollar Man episodes for the first time in 40 years or so was one of the high points of my vintage TV viewing in 2018. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. Cheesy, yes, but very entertaining. It helps that the two stars are so down-to-earth and likeable.

The slow-mo thing bothered me a bit as a kid (especially when Steve or Jaime were running), but it doesn't so much now. I'm guessing the producers thought that speeding up the camera would look even sillier (like the Keystone Cops). In the pilot film and in a few other instances in 6MDM S1, there are a few quick shots of Steve moving super fast, which is a nice touch.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's funny, as the sound effects, etc. is what most uberfans of those two shows remember most. I'm guessing you were older and grown up when the Bionic shows were airing, and so found them silly and juvenile. The really big fans of those shows seem to have been between 6 and 12 years old when they first saw them. That's probably the perfect demographic to respond to them unironically.
I was 19 when The Six Million Dollar Man premiered. During my college years I didn't watch much prime-time TV and was very selective with what I did make time for. Because of class schedules I saw far more daytime TV which was horrendous in those years - mostly game shows and soaps with the occasional bright spots of Gilligan's Island or Star Trek reruns. That's when I developed a habit of turning the TV sound down to either listen to music or practice the guitar while watching. I'd say you're spot on with the target audience for the Bionic shows.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

I need to make a full disclosure.
It just now dawned on me that this thread focuses on classic TV specific to that found on DVDs or Blu Ray. I spaced that requirement. I don't buy DVDs. I couldn't tell you the difference between a Blu Ray and a Manta Ray. I know nothing about aspect ratios, MOD Discs, 4K scans, Cinram, home theater equipment or anything posted by Mike Frezon or Robert Crawford.

All my commentaries in this Forum are based on what I watch or record off MeTV, ANTV or any channel that carries stuff from an earlier era on my non-impressive Sony 40-inch flat screen. My entire purpose in the Forum is to share my love for classic TV shows and movies--and maybe provide a scant amount of amusement and information.
I hope I haven't disqualified myself for participation here, but I thought it a good idea to come clean on my preferred vehicle of viewing shows. Somewhere in my basement I have cardboard box with about 18 dusty VHS cassettes of episodes from 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye and Route 66. That's it.

But I sure do enjoy reading the commentaries by all you more technically-oriented folks, especially those of you with extensive libraries. Impressive access and knowledge.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon

It just now dawned on me that this thread focuses on classic TV specific to that found on DVDs or Blu Ray. I spaced that requirement. I don't buy DVDs. I couldn't tell you the difference between a Blu Ray and a Manta Ray. I know nothing about aspect ratios, MOD Discs, 4K scans, Cinram, home theater equipment or anything posted by Mike Frezon or Robert Crawford.

All my commentaries in this Forum are based on what I watch or record off MeTV, ANTV or any channel that carries stuff from an earlier era on my non-impressive Sony 40-inch flat screen. My entire purpose in the Forum is to share my love for classic TV shows and movies--and maybe provide a scant amount of amusement and information.
I hope I haven't disqualified myself for participation here, but I thought it a good idea to come clean on my preferred vehicle of viewing shows. Somewhere in my basement I have cardboard box with about 18 dusty VHS cassettes of episodes from 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye and Route 66. That's it.

But I sure do enjoy reading the commentaries by all you more technically-oriented folks, especially those of you with extensive libraries. Impressive access and knowledge.
I sure hope they let you stay, you add a lot to my enjoyment.:)

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Perry Mason Season 2:
Episode 1: The Case of the Corresponding Corpse.
Episode 2: The Case of the Lucky Loser
A good start to season 2. Spoiler alert: Hamilton Burger loses both of these cases. Actually he was barely in the second episode but he still took the loss.

Maverick Season 1:
Episode 7: Relic Of Fort Tejon
Episode 8: Hostage

The first episode is good with Bret winning what he thought was a prize Arabian horse but winding up with a camel. This keeps him busy trying to find a home for his prize while also trying to take down a mayor who runs a crooked gambling operation. The second episode is solid, bringing us the arrival of brother Bart.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Episode Commentary
The Andy Griffith Show
"Man in a Hurry" (S3Ep16)

Big City Charlotte businessman Malcolm Tucker's (Robert Emhardt) big-ass Lincoln breaks down in Mayberry while on his way to an important meeting the next day. Being Sunday, Malcolm is completely out of luck in obtaining any help towards car repair. Gas station owner Wally has the day off, and station attendant Gomer (Jim Nabors) barely knows how to operate a pump much less inspect a high powered auto.
Andy explains to exasperated Malcolm, "Gomer's just part-time. He's saving up for college so's he can become a doctor." Yep--someday Dr. Gomer's going to be overseeing your triple bypass.

images
images
View attachment 54935
Exasperated Robert Emhardt, Sunday dinner at the Taylor house, rounding out the day

There follows a whole phalanx of homespun vignettes juxtaposing semi-comatose Mayberryites against a highly-vexed business guy frantically climbing life's splintery rungs. For him, dealing with the townsfolk is like trying to sort pie tins in a hail storm. At wit's end, Malcom succumbs to Sunday dinner at Andy's house. Aunt Bee's meals are systematically designed to crush any human impulses toward energy extension.

To this day, I still believe there's no funnier character than Don Knott's bright-as-a-brillo pad Deputy Barney Fife. Leaning back after a gut filling dinner, Barney announces, "Gonna go home, have a nap, then go over to Thelma Lou's to drop some killer acid and listen to Black Sabbath." Okay, I applied a bit of artistic license to that sentence, but you get the drift. Even Malcolm finally relaxes and joins in a warble of "Go Tell Aunt Rhody". If you're not familiar with the song, Aunt Rhody must be told--for whatever reason-- that the old gray goose is dead.

This is a very sweet representative episode of The Andy Griffith Show, the series' obvious success defined by the number of iconic characters that are permanently entwined in classic TV lore.

Randoms:
I was surprised to learn that Robert Emhardt hails from my home town, Indianapolis. Never knew that, nor have I ever seen any tributes to the man in our local media or otherwise. He became sort of TV's Sydney Greenstreet and was a staple in the 60's-70's. Robert was also a founding member of the Actor's Studio. He left us the day after Christmas in 1994 at the age of 80.

Stay tuned---I will have a Leave It To Beaver commentary coming up soon to read. Well, actually, if you have something better to do--please--by all means....

This is my all-time favorite Andy Griffith Show episode. Just absolutely perfect in every way, and even sort of touching, as you can see big city businessman Tucker slowly unwind and become more human..and eventually not want to leave Mayberry. I especially love the chatty old birds who won't get off the party line when Tucker is trying to call out. The 50th Anniversary DVD set (and the S1 Blu-Ray) have the original sponsor spots included, and we hear the gossipy old gals return in the Sanka tag at the end of this episode.
Very much in agreement, Russ and Jeff! In a series of 249 episodes, it would be easy to compile a top 40 list of favorites, as there are so many worthy candidates for "best of" in The Andy Griffith Show...even with a much more strict top 20 or even the ultimate top 10, most fans would include Man in a Hurry (Jan. 14, 1963)...such is it's lasting warmth, wisdom and comedic charm...an absolute gem and one of my absolute favorite revisitings to Mayberry...or classic TV as a whole...in other words, a beloved classic TV artifact, then and now...and it's immortal message being supremely relevant today...
AAA Andy Griffith 5.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 6.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 8.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 9.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 4.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 1.JPG

AAA Andy Griffith 3.JPG

I took these screen caps from my DVD for this post, but guess what? I'm also going to use them in rotation as a screensaver...to remind me of those times when I just need to relax and surrender to life itself...

Russ, I don't think we need to hold to any strict criteria as to the source of our viewing being physical media for the purposes of this thread...however you are watching these great shows, we love to hear your insights and witticisms...I value them highly and delight in your witty sarcasm and creative analysis, so please continue to post!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

Russ - I had the same problem in the what did you watch movies thread. They are linked to Blu Ray. It was explained to me that whatever movies you were watching were OK but try not to drift into items that would be pirated materials. A little checking on your stuff to at least aknowledge sources helps.(i.e. I see this shows available in DVD or Blu Ray) As long as you are adding to the discussion in a productive way (I think you are in spades) it's all good.
That's my take - if someone disagrees - let's have it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

WHAT!!!?!?!?!!!

Let's lynch him! Anybody got any lynch? (bonus points if you know the source - also proves you're likely an old hippy)

;) - Just kidding...

I don't think anyone here cares about how you watch your classic TV or the type of equipment on which you watch. When we talk about DVD or BR it's normally asking how you watched and where to get a "reasonably priced" copy (some of this stuff is long OOP and expensive). Sure, it'd be nice if what you watch *is* available on physical media but, IMHO, the whole point is to watch classic TV shows and talk about them. You can find threads about the latest "hot" TV show everywhere but *not* about older shows.

For me, this thread is about discovery. People talk about what they've watched. Often, I've seen the show and have an opinion but there are those I've never seen and the discussion will frequently pique my interest and I go looking for episodes to sample, often making a purchase in the process. Just as often someone will mention an old favorite I've forgotten about (the recent Andy Griffith episode "Man in a Hurry" is just one example) simply due to watching so much over the years. Part of that can be attributed to having a large collection. People will mention a title I own but just haven't made time for. If it's currently unopened (and I'm frequently taken aback when I see how many unopened seasons I have) the discussion will often be that little nudge I need to finally correct that oversight.

By all means share your views and insights into what you and others have watched.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I should note that I think if you have a boot of something and its part of a marathon, that's fair game. I've done that with all of my actress marathon spotlights. Speaking of which, it's been two months since my last one but a chance viewing of "Beach Blanket Bingo" made me decide to check out what I have of Deborah Walley!

Naked City, S2-"To Walk in Silence." Claude Rains is a respectable banker who while taking a visit to an illegal betting parlor sees racketeer Telly Savalas murder Sorrell Booke who hasn't paid a debt. Rains takes a bullet in the shoulder and refuses to come forward (which means he can't get the bullet out) because he doesn't want to hurt the respectability of his firm. Deborah, then an aspiring New York theater actress, is his teen daughter who gets kidnapped by Savalas and his goons.

Route 66, S1-"Ten Drops of Water." It wasn't uncommon for many performers to get signed to a package deal to do both "Naked City" and "Route 66" and Deborah's episode here aired just two days later and she gets an "introducing" credit. Buz and Todd are in Utah where Burt Brinckerhoff, younger sister Deborah and their 12 year old brother are all alone running a struggling ranch after the deaths of both parents. Brinckerhoff is too proud to ask for help running it and is too proud to sell the land even though it's now impossible to manage. Both of these episodes of serious drama are a reminder of how Walley's career started and how getting cast in the second Gidget film not long afterwards changed her career forever.

Burke's Law, S1-"Who Killed Andy Zygmunt?" A Warhol like pop artist is found impaled on one of his own paintings in a gallery! This Harlan Ellison penned-tale lets us consider among the suspects Deborah (the artist's assistant who specializes in mechanical work), MacDonald Carey, Aldo Ray, Ann Blyth, Jack Weston and Tab Hunter.

Wagon Train, S8-"The Nancy Styles Story." From the final season, and because Deborah is top-billed it shows how this was the peak of her professional fame. She plays a rebellious runaway trying to get to Denver and she may or may not be the daughter of the owner of the trail line. Along the way, she charms Michael Burns to get her way. I have to admit this was the first time I had ever seen an episode of the show from the McIntire era, and I get a reminder of why Ward Bond was such a powerful presence who could never be fully replaced. Ryan O'Neal, one year before "Peyton Place" appears as a milquetoast Deborah takes advantage of earlier in the episode.

Gomer Pyle USMC, S3-"Lies, Lies, Lies." No one believes Gomer when he says he spent the afternoon at the home of a famous movie star (Deborah) after he got left behind by the tour bus. A very hilarious tag ending.

The Virginian/Men From Shiloh S9-"With Love, Bullets and Valentines." Her only immediate guest shot after the two year run of "The Mothers-In-Law" the episode is a Trampas tale of getting involved with a crooked steamboat owner (Art Carney) and an outlaw gang (Jack Albertson, Tom Ewell). This episode was another reminder to me of how "Men From Shiloh" episodes just seem so godawfully padded compared to the classic "Virginian" episodes.

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, S2-"Mystery Of The Avalanche Express." Her first TV show guest shot in eight years in an episode loaded with early 60s pop figures (Troy Donohue, Vic Damone, Fabian, Tommy Sands, Edd Byrnes) she was totally unrecognizable to me from her classic period thanks to a different hair style and color. This is also the last episode to feature the Nancy Drew character and by this point Pamela Sue Martin had quit the show over her reduced role so it's one of the few episodes with "fake" Nancy, Janet Louise Johnson.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mission:Impossible - Season 3
Doomsday (3.17) Alf Kjellin, Arthur Batanides, Wesley Lau, Philip Ahn, Khigh Dhiegh, Sid Haig.
From IMDB: Industrialist Carl Vandaam claims to have a hydrogen bomb for sale. He invites representatives from a variety of countries and factions to participate in an auction for the device at his company's headquarters. As the bargaining goes on, Barney performs one of his tunnel-crawling assignments, climbing up and down an elevator shaft to get access to the room where the bomb is housed - hoping to substitute a dummy unit for a critical part of the bomb's hardware before the sale to an enemy power is completed.
Live Bait (3.18) Anthony Zerbe, Martin Sheen, John Crawford.
From IMDB: The IMF manipulates a naive intelligence officer in order to free an agent who can expose a deep-cover mole. In addition to rescuing the agent, they create an elaborate ruse to neutralize the Machiavellian security chief who is on the verge of discovering the mole's identity.
The Bunker: Part 1 (3.19) Milton Selzer, Lee Meriwether, David Sheiner.
From IMDB: In the first of two parts, Dr. Erich Rojak, a brilliant scientist, is being held in an underground bunker containing a laboratory where he is forced to work on a small but extremely powerful long-range missile. If he succeeds, the missile has the potential to change the balance of power between the East and the West. Rojak is cooperating only because his totalitarian government is holding his wife, Anna, and threatens to kill her unless he completes the missile. The IMF's assignment is to rescue Rojak and his wife and to destroy his missile research. But another unfriendly government has sent professional killer Alexander Ventlos to make certain Rojak never completes his work.
Interesting set up and eager to see the conclusion.

Dr. Who - Peter Davison - Year One Bluray
Black Orchid (19.17, 18) Barbara Murray, Moray Watson, Michael Cochrane, Brian Hawksley. I enjoy the "costume, period" episodes and this one strikes me as an Agatha Christie type of story. I realize it is not high art (even Dr. Who himself doesn't really care for it) but I always enjoy my time with this one.

Mr. Novak - Season 1
Love In The Wrong Season (1.11) Pat Crowley, Tommy Kirk, David Macklin, Tim McIntire. A student in remedial reading begins to fall for his special ed teacher. Mr. Novak is a bit perplexed as he also has eyes for this teacher. Interesting to see Tommy Kirk as a lovesick student who is coming to grips with his emotions.
The Boy Without A Country (1.12) Walter Koenig, Jeanne Cooper. A 16 year old defected from Russia and has ended up placed with Mrs. Cooper. She wants Alexi to feel loved and part of her family, but he is unable to return her affections. The entire school tries very hard to make him feel welcome and he finally begins to make the adjustment after talking with Principal Vane.
A Thousand Voices (1.13) Frankie Avalon, Robert F. Simon, Rita Lynn. An off campus car club must get a sponsor or it will be disbanded. A cry for help from an abandoned boy. An episode that leaves me with questions and that is a good thing.
My Name Is Not Legion (1.14) Eddie Applegate, Shelly Fabares, Peter Lazer. A misfit student gets under Mr. Novak's skin. Mr. Novak hopes to unlock the key to this boy. Dedication personified.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

No worries, Russ! You've added greatly to this thread with your reviews and feedback, and how you watch the classic shows you cover hardly matters. Please keep doing what you're doing.

I don't believe anyone's ever bothered about the niggling details of whether something talked about here was watched on DVD or not. Yes, this is a home theater forum, so a lot of what one finds on other threads here is DVD or BD-specific, but certainly in this thread, at least the way I interpret it, the emphasis is on what classic television members watch, rather than on how they watch it. Several of the shows I've posted about here over the past year or so were things I watched on YouTube. It's all good.

Basically, this is a thread to talk about these older shows we love with other like-minded people. So keep doing your thing!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Mission:Impossible - Season 3
Doomsday (3.17) Alf Kjellin, Arthur Batanides, Wesley Lau, Philip Ahn, Khigh Dhiegh, Sid Haig.
From IMDB: Industrialist Carl Vandaam claims to have a hydrogen bomb for sale. He invites representatives from a variety of countries and factions to participate in an auction for the device at his company's headquarters. As the bargaining goes on, Barney performs one of his tunnel-crawling assignments, climbing up and down an elevator shaft to get access to the room where the bomb is housed - hoping to substitute a dummy unit for a critical part of the bomb's hardware before the sale to an enemy power is completed.
Live Bait (3.18) Anthony Zerbe, Martin Sheen, John Crawford.
From IMDB: The IMF manipulates a naive intelligence officer in order to free an agent who can expose a deep-cover mole. In addition to rescuing the agent, they create an elaborate ruse to neutralize the Machiavellian security chief who is on the verge of discovering the mole's identity.
The Bunker: Part 1 (3.19) Milton Selzer, Lee Meriwether, David Sheiner.
From IMDB: In the first of two parts, Dr. Erich Rojak, a brilliant scientist, is being held in an underground bunker containing a laboratory where he is forced to work on a small but extremely powerful long-range missile. If he succeeds, the missile has the potential to change the balance of power between the East and the West. Rojak is cooperating only because his totalitarian government is holding his wife, Anna, and threatens to kill her unless he completes the missile. The IMF's assignment is to rescue Rojak and his wife and to destroy his missile research. But another unfriendly government has sent professional killer Alexander Ventlos to make certain Rojak never completes his work.
Interesting set up and eager to see the conclusion.

The best of the bunch remains “Live Bait” because it is directed by Stuart Hagmann and guest stars Anthony Zerbe and Martin Sheen
as the antagonist State officials. The script is very slick. Actor Anthony Zerbe was one of the best recurring guests on MISSION.
Highly recommended!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Welcome back to the thread, Jack! Been a long time since we've had one of your actress marathons...

Route 66, S1-"Ten Drops of Water." It wasn't uncommon for many performers to get signed to a package deal to do both "Naked City" and "Route 66" and Deborah's episode here aired just two days later and she gets an "introducing" credit. Buz and Todd are in Utah where Burt Brinckerhoff, younger sister Deborah and their 12 year old brother are all alone running a struggling ranch after the deaths of both parents. Brinckerhoff is too proud to ask for help running it and is too proud to sell the land even though it's now impossible to manage. Both of these episodes of serious drama are a reminder of how Walley's career started and how getting cast in the second Gidget film not long afterwards changed her career forever.

I've seen this episode before and found it very fine indeed (though I didn't notice that it was Deborah Walley playing the sister character, as she wasn't on my radar at all at the time). I was just catching up with this series via the Roxbury Entertainment S1 volume sets, having never seen it before, and completely fell in love with the show, and its varied and dramatic storytelling. This episode carried a strong central message and ended in a very realistic, bittersweet fashion. Thanks for reminding me to dig back into Route 66...still many episodes remaining to be seen - especially from S4.

00DeborahWalleyRoute66.jpg

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, S2-"Mystery Of The Avalanche Express." Her first TV show guest shot in eight years in an episode loaded with early 60s pop figures (Troy Donohue, Vic Damone, Fabian, Tommy Sands, Edd Byrnes) she was totally unrecognizable to me from her classic period thanks to a different hair style and color. This is also the last episode to feature the Nancy Drew character and by this point Pamela Sue Martin had quit the show over her reduced role so it's one of the few episodes with "fake" Nancy, Janet Louise Johnson.

Haven't seen any of the "fake" Nancy Drew eps yet...and am somewhat dreading them, though this one sounds interesting due to its guest cast. It's a real shame that Pamela Sue Martin quit the series, though I can understand her motivation, after the way the producers shifted the emphasis to the more popular (at the time) Hardy Boys and reduced her to a mostly co-starring role. In retrospect, Martin's Nancy Drew episodes have aged better, thanks partly to her more polished acting and sex appeal, but also, it must be said, due to her episodes' lack of any Shaun Cassidy crooning.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Dr. Who - Peter Davison - Year One Bluray
Black Orchid (19.17, 18) Barbara Murray, Moray Watson, Michael Cochrane, Brian Hawksley. I enjoy the "costume, period" episodes and this one strikes me as an Agatha Christie type of story. I realize it is not high art (eve Dr. Who himself doesn't really care for it) but I always enjoy my time with this one.

"Black Orchid" comes in for a real slagging from Peter Davison and co. on the commentary, but I've always really liked this story and disagree with their criticisms of it. It's got a lovely period feel and lots of location filming, Sarah Sutton gets to play dual roles, and both she and Janet Fielding look great in their period costumes. In addition, Davison is at his peak portraying the Doctor. The extended audiobook (read by guest star Michael Cochrane) is well worth a listen.

I really need to pick up this Blu-Ray Series 20 set soon...lots of good stories in Davison's first year.

ce62e65a163567e4cbd52c3429cef312.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ha! I always felt sorry for poor old Hamilton Burger. I always hoped that we'd see him win a case over Perry at least once.
Unless I'm mistaken - Perry *did* lose once to Burger in "The Case of the Deadly Verdict" in S7E4.

But the verdict was reversed before the final credits - so does it count or not? Hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks