1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    Matlock Season 2. The Reunion. The Umpire

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    RAWHIDE SEASON 8

Episode #1
    “Encounter at Boot Hill”
    written by Anthony Spinner
    directed by Sutton Roley
    music composed and conducted by Bernard Herrmann
    guests: Simon Oakland, Jeff Corey, Peter Haskell, Timothy Carey, Malcolm Atterbury, Dal Jenkins (uncredited)

In a clearing, Morgan Kane (actor Jeff Corey), a father avenges the death of his son Vance and asks his other son—limping Jethroe (actor Peter Haskell)—to prepare the hanging of two innocent drovers when two riders of Yates’ outfit come charging straight at the executioner. Later on, Yates, Quince and Blake find the dead body of drover Peters and wounded drover Ian Cabot that they bring to the town of Regis where Sheriff Blaine (actor Simon Oakland) and his sleazy deputy Ed Walker (actor Timothy Carey) rule as despots. Against the will of the local authorities (the barber working as the judge, the sheriff working as the minister and the deputy), Yates insists to organize a fair trial at Wichita.

It’s a twisted family drama that highlights justice’s corruption and integrates a courtroom scene and a veiled reference to William Wellman’s 1943 lynching film The Ox-Bow Incident. Find an excellent film-making by magician Sutton Roley—see the hanging prologue or Yates fighting the deputy, the off-centered extreme close-ups—helped by a good guest cast (actors Simon Oakland, Jeff Corey, Peter Haskell, Timothy Carey) and a fine score by the legendary Bernard Herrmann (see his cinema output with Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock and his television output on The Twilight Zone and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour).

Director Sutton Roley used to be the best journeyman of the 1960’s business and his finest work lies in three series: Combat!, Mission: Impossible and Mannix. It introduces the character of English drover Ian Cabot (actor David Watson). Oddly enough, no explanation is provided when it comes to the departures of two previous characters (Gil Favor and Mushy). The series is a bit hip and at odds with the initial 1959 formula because of an English actor and a black supporting cast.

Actor Simon Oakland returns from the season 6 “Incident of the Travellin’ Man” and actor Timothy Carey from the season 7 “The Book” and actor Malcolm Atterbury from the season 7 “The Book”.

Both actors Dal Jenkins (see “Nicole” and “The Falcon”) and Peter Haskell (see “Tod-5”) will guest in Mission: Impossible.

The Ox-Bow Incident Trailer

morasp, Rustifer, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  3. John*Wells

John
    Matlock Season 2 The Power Brokers, Season 5 The Trial

Jeff Flugel and morasp like this.
  4. Message #1164 of 2117 Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Kicking off this new year with some excellent viewing.

Stoney Burke - The Complete Series
    Image of Glory (1.18) Simon Oakland, Carol Eve Rossen, Dabbs Greer, Richard Evans. A father trying to recapture the old glory days of rodeo through his son. The son idolizes his father and doesn't want to disappoint evne though he has a serious knee injury. The vicarious living drove his daughter away. Is reconciliation possible? Stoney knows.
    Cat's Eyes (1.19) Fay Spain, Robert Doyle, William Phipps. A freak accident to a rider causes the rider's brother to call foul. The brother believes the girlfriend is a "Jinx" and goes out of his way to make her admit it. Stoney provides balance and uncovers the "accident".
    Web Of Fear (1.20) Carroll O'Connor, Jeanne Cooper, Ted deCorsia, John Milford, Hal Needham. Someone seems to be stalking Stoney. Ves involves local law enforcement even though Stoney believes the incidents are not connected. After being nearly run over by an escaped horse, Stoney begins to change his mind.

Perry Mason - Season 6
    The Case of the Prankish Professor (6.15) Barry Atwater, Kent Smith, Constance Towers, Patricia Breslin, Don Dubbins, Joyce Van Patten. A divorcing couple, aspiring writer of trashy novels, plagiarism, blackmail and college students, what could possibly go wrong??? Everything. Calling Mr. Mason.
    The next several episodes feature guest stars as defense attorneys. Perry is sidelined in a hospital and appears briefly in the episodes.
    The Case of Constant Doyle (6.16) Bette Davis, Michael Parks, Neil Hamilton, Peggy Ann Garner, Les Tremayne, Frances Reid. A "juvenile delinquent" who had crossed paths with Constant's husband needs help. He is accused of murder and since Perry is unavailable, Constant steps in to defend him. Interesting to see Ms. Davis in a PM episode.
    The Case of the Libelous Locket (6.17) Michael Rennie, Patrice Wymore, Ruta Lee, John Hoyt, Patricia Manning. A young woman is being pushed to socialize by her stepmother. She becomes involved in a legal matter involving photographs and potential blackmail. Her law professor gets roped into helping defend her with a brief assist from Perry and some excellent work from Paul Drake.
    The Case of the Two-Faced Turn-A-Bout (6.18) Hugh O'Brian, Lisa Gaye, Abraham Soafer, Werner Klemperer, Robert Simon, Berry Kroeger, Trevor Bardette. What is going on here? I found this one more than a little convoluted. Dopplegangers and the OSS. Very little Perry and enough red herrings to need a list. Sure hope Perry gets well and returns to his series. Didn't enjoy this one at all.

Mr. Novak - Season 1
    The Risk (1.6) Alexander Scourby, Sherry Jackson, Lurene Tuttle. Alcoholism, when is it an issue? The school is in need of a replacement teacher. A former teacher/mentor to Mr. Novak happens to apply. Mr. Novak is aware of Mr. Ferguson's past. He is not aware that the new Mrs. Ferguson has not come to terms with her addiction. Mr. Ferguson has been moving from job to job when someone discovers the family secret. Mr. Novak encourages him to stay and fight for this job if he really wants it. Principal Vane also offers encouragement. Somewhat surprised that Sherry Jackson was able to look almost unattractive as his wife.
    Hello, Miss Phipps (1.7) Lillian Gish, David White, Arch Johnson, Allan Hunt, Sherry Alberoni. Finally some conflict with the local school board and parents. Conflict like this seems to happen all to frequently today. Parents trying to dictate to school officials and school boards. A fine study of loyalty. Loyalty to teacher mentors, to students and to new faculty. Whose needs take precedent, the teacher, the faculty or the students. Every good educator will always side with the needs of the student. That is why I appreciate this episode. Principal Vane knows that Miss Phipps is only concerned about her students just as Mr. Novak is. Great to see that he "forced" them to work together. I really liked the parents meeting. I am enjoying these episodes because of the longer scenes giving the actors a chance to make the story real. The final act is truly amazing to see Mr. Novak come to the defense of a teacher he initially disliked and the students comments sold the scene. I wanted to clap also.

Mission: Impossible - Season 3
    The Play (3.9) John Colicos, Michael Tolan, Barry Atwater, John McLiam. Propaganda used against propaganda through the use of some interesting sound techniques help lead to the downfall of this eisodes villian.
    The Bargain (3.10) Albert Paulsen, Warren Stevens, Phillip Pine. A former dictator, now in exile in Miami, plans to make a deal with the Syndicate -- they will finance the coup that will return him to rule his homeland in exchange for his promise to legalize gambling in the country once he regains power. The IMF agents use the dictator's fondness for gourmet food to gain entry to his house in order to make sure that the bargain never takes place.
    The Freeze (3.11) Donnelly Rhodes, John Zaremba,Milt Kogan, WalterMathews, Vince Howard. A tried and true plot, make a gangster think he was frozen, he wakes up years later and the first thing he does is seek out his ill gotten gain and uncovers the spot before the statute of limitations runs out. Interesting to see some Trek props in this episode. The big screen tv was pretty spot on, the futuristic cars not so much.
    The Exchange (3.12) John Vernon, Will Kuluva, Robert Ellenstein. What happens if a mission goes sideways? This episode lets us know. We prepare a rescue mission. Nice change of pace episode.

Dr. Who - Peter Davison bluray (Season 19)
    The Visitation (19.13, 19.14, 19.15, 19.16) Michael Robbins, Peter van Dissel, John Savident, Anthony Calf. Tegan is supposed to return to Heathrow minutes after she left. Problem, she is about 300 years to early. I really enjoy the highwayman in this episode. he seems to be the stand in for us in this adventure. Androids, vanishing walls and remote controlled townspeople and a companion make for an interesting story. The Doctor seems to be growing into the role. Haven't seen this one since the late 80's, better than I remembered.

Darby67, morasp, Montytc and 4 others like this.
  5. JohnHopper

John Hopper

"The Exchange" is the best of the bunch because of the unusual story that foreshadows the leaning of season 5.
    It's a Cinnamon Carter-oriented episode in which we learn her weakness: claustrophobia.
    Actor John Vernon is excellent.
    The unexpected ending at the border is fabulous!
    Moreover, Jerry Fielding composes the score.
    A must watch season 3 episode all the way!

morasp, Jeff Flugel and Doug Wallen like this.
  6. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    RAWHIDE SEASON 8

Episode #2
    “Ride a Crooked Mile”
    written by N.B. Stone Jr and ‘story editor’ Herman Miller
    story by N.B. Stone Jr
    directed by Justus Addiss
    edited by Robert Sparr
    guests: John Drew Barrymore, Douglas Kennedy, Harry Lauter

Gambler Danny Hawks (actor John Drew Barrymore) joins the outfit of Yates thanks to Jed Colby (actor John Ireland) because of an expensive pure bred horse. Wealthy land owner Nat Benson (actor Douglas Kennedy) and two hired guns stop at the camp to arrest Danny to hang him high and recover his stolen horse. Yates refuses to turn Danny down without a warrant. Benson threatens them and move out. Simon Blake remembers the face of Danny Hawks from somewhere before. Things are not what they appear to be… Later on, Benson poisons all the water holes and abduct Yates to make an exchange.

Apart from the fancy dude performance of John Drew Barrymore, the story is too anecdotal and modest. We learn that Jim Quince is promoted to the status of ramrod. This episode introduces a new regular: Jed Colby (actor John Ireland who guested in previous seasons) who is obsessed by the stallion of the gambler.

Actor John Drew Barrymore returns from the season 7 “Corporal Dasovik” and actor John Ireland from the season 7 “The Spanish Camp”, the season 5 “Incident of the Portrait” and the season 2 “Incident in the Garden of Eden”. For the anecdote, actor John Drew Barrymore appears the same month in another iconic western series (Gunsmoke) and displays his greatest performance in “Seven Hours to Dawn” (season 11).

7. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    First up for 2019:
    Rockford Files Season 1
    Ep.4: Exit Prentiss Carr

Streets Of San Francisco Season 1
    Ep. 6: Hall Of Mirrors
    Good episode with David Soul and A. Martinez doing a good job in guest rolls.

Harry O Season 1
    Ep.3: Guardian At the Gates
    Another strong episode with about as strong a guest cast as I can remember. Barry Sullivan, Linda Evans and a very young Anne Archer are all in big rolls. Gordon Jump of WKRP fame even has a small part.

Get Smart Season 2
    Ep.1: Anatomy of a Lover
    Ep.2: Strike While the Agent Is Hot
    I'm not a big fan of the Hymie character played by Dick Gautier, but the show is still fun at this point. I think I'll make it until 86 and 99 get married.

All three of those detective series are very strong right now and will remain in heavy rotation for the time being.

Flashgear, morasp and Jeff Flugel like this.
  8. John*Wells

John
    Perry Mason Movies

The Case of the Murdered Madam. The case of the avenging Ace, The Case of the Sinister Spirit

9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I just jumped over from my usual haunt (77 Sunset Strip thread) and read some of your reviews. Very nice job on one of my favorite vintage series.

Flashgear, JohnHopper and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Message #1170 of 2117 Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Doomwatch - 2.8 "Web of Fear"
    No relation to the Patrick Troughton Doctor Who story of the same name. The Doomwatch team investigate when a yellow fever-type outbreak strikes down guests at a health farm on a remote island off the coast of England. But what is causing the outbreak, and what does it have to do with a disgraced scientist and his wife who have broken quarantine to sneak onto the island? Builds to quite a suspenseful finale. With Glyn Owen and John Savident, the latter of whom also stars in...

Tightrope

And no relation to the earlier Mike Connors series, either. Watched the first 3 of this 13-episode ATV thriller serial from 1972. Spencer Banks (also seen in the cult Brit sci-fi serial Timeslip) stars as a young man who gets pulled into a twisty espionage plot by an eccentric government agent (John Savident, wonderful). Three episodes in and I still have no clear idea what exactly is going on, or who is on which side. Good stuff!

[​IMG]

Mannix - 2.4 "To the Swiftest, Death"
    Fast-paced and nicely-directed. Joe starts the episode in a race car, and soon is hired to investigate the suspicious death of another driver. Lots of action and good-looking women in this one (including Jill Ireland, Sabrina Scharf and Emily Banks). Joe gets hurt, per usual, but isn't knocked unconscious for a change. And for a guy who keeps proclaiming "I work alone," he gets a lot of help in this story, from another P.I. pal, Albie (Joe Mantell), a former airplane crash investigator (Nicholas Colasanto) and of course his loyal secretary, Peggy. The Beaver's dad, Hugh Beaumont, has a few well-played scenes as a fed.

Petticoat Junction - 1.2 "Quick, Hide the Railroad"
    Kate and her girls try to thaw sourpuss railway executive Homer Bedloe (Charles Lane) with kindness. When that doesn't work, she has to resort to more serious measures. It's a treat to see Charles Lane get a big part in this show; Lane has to hold the record of busiest character actor in Hollywood, with a career spanning 65 years and 370 credits (according to the IMDB). His exasperation is a hoot here.

Flipper - 1.30 "Flipper's Monster"
    I loved this show as a kid (something about Bud's lifestyle appealed to me - living in the Florida Keys, always in the water having adventures with his dolphin pal) but I can't say it's particularly gripping stuff these days, as an adult. Just a little too laid back and juvenile. Not much in the way of drama or suspense in this episode, and some of the guest performances are wooden (the guy playing the film director is particularly bad). The only reason to watch this episode, really, is the presence of the athletic, exotic Wende Wagner as a starlet who befriends Flipper while in the Keys filming a monster movie - a very low budget one, judging by the skeleton film crew. The transfers on the season 1 DVD set (and Ms. Wegner) are gorgeous, anyway.

[​IMG]

Mission: Impossible - 3.12 "The Exchange"
    Doug and John's comments on this episode moved me to give it a watch, and I'm glad I did. A very good episode, tense and ingenious - even if the sequence of events is about as plausible as a unicorn walking down 42nd Street. Barbara Bain gets some good material here as she's put through the emotional wringer. I especially enjoy these M:I eps where they shake up the formula a little. With good guest work from John Vernon, Will Kuluva and Robert Ellenstein.

Bob Gu, Darby67, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    I have a soft spot for Sabrina Scharf.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  12. Message #1172 of 2117 Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I spent some time going through the past pages of this thread to get a feel for it. One of my pet peeves is for newcomers to plop into established threads and unknowingly bring up stuff that's already been thoroughly discussed. Let me know if I've unwittingly trampled on an aforementioned topic.
    So I think I've got the gist here--which suits me fine since I watch a ton of vintage stuff every week and I'm more than happy to add in my two cents' worth.

Episode Commentary
    The Twilight Zone
    "What's In the Box?" (S5Ep24)

Rod Serling sonorously intones the intro:"Taxi driver Joe Britt's flag is down, his meter's running and he's in high gear to the Twilight Zone"
    A good start for an episode, yes?

Married couple Joe (William Demarest at his best garrulous self) and Phyliis (Joan Blondell--sporting eyelashes akin to pregnant centipedes) are having an owl-screeching argument in the kitchen. Joe shuffles off to the living room just as the preternatural TV repairman (Sterling Holloway) is finishing up with the busted set. Sterling's hair always looks to me like a result of having just accidentally peed in the light socket. He offers up a cryptic remark on "how" he fixed the TV.

upload_2019-1-8_14-1-56. upload_2019-1-8_14-3-8. upload_2019-1-8_14-3-58.
    William Demarest, Joan Blondell, Sterling Holloway

At first Joe is ecstatic that he can now get elusive channel 10, until he sees his life surprisingly playing out in real time on the TV station. Starkly exposed is his dallying with another woman (Sandra Gould--yep, crazy Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched) and a yet-to-happen knockdown fight with his wife that eventually ends with her unceremoniously falling to her death out the window. Joe is convinced he's losing what's left of his mind and faints dead away, blaming it on the old standby "must've been something I ate..." (I use that one to my wife for any dysfunction I need to get out of a chore.)
    The doc believes his delusions are due to "stress from our over-mechanized society". Now there's a diagnosis for you. Phyllis is more prone to determindly postulate that it's initiated by fan dancers from Yonkers.

Unfortunately, Joe's delusions from the TV all become true--up to and including him being tried, convicted and strapped to the electric chair. Alas, his taxi is no longer for hire.

I like the simplicity of this little black comedy in a one-room set being executed by consummate character actors towards the tail end of their careers. Tight script by Martin Goldsmith and Rod Serling, directed by Richard Bare.

Randoms:
    I was always fascinated by Joan Blondell. She was quite a chicka-chicka-boom-boom looker in her heyday, and during the Depression was one of the highest paid individuals in the country. Good for her.

upload_2019-1-8_14-32-55. upload_2019-1-8_14-44-0.

I only hear the voice of Disney's Cheshire Cat whenever I hear Sterling Holloway talk. You younger guys probably hear Winnie the Pooh.
    Didn't we always suspect William Demarest as My Three Sons' Uncle Charlie was always just a hair's breadth away from physical abuse of the boys?

Final Note: Thanks, Jeff, for referencing this thread for me. I think I can have some fun in here.

Bob Gu, morasp, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  13. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Started watching Season 2 of THE MUNSTERS, the 2nd disc of THE RAT PATROL and the 2nd disc of WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE, while also watching MR. & MRS. NORTH.

14. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    You're welcome, Russ - and welcome to the thread!

Yep, old William Demerest always seems cranky and ready to rumble. I grew up watching his Uncle Charlie on the color My Three Sons syndication reruns, but now I find myself preferring William Frawley's Bub. Frawley seems gruff but kind-hearted; Demerest is just gruff and crotchety. Still, he's a wonderfully vinegary screen presence, and I'm happy to see him pop up in anything.

Bob Gu, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  15. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Anne Archer always made my heart go pitter patter. Gorgeous gal!
    Anne was the progeny of celebrities John Archer (a perennial guest on many of the early 60's Warner Bros.TV series) and Marjorie Lord, best known as the wifey on Danny Thomas' Make Room For Daddy.

upload_2019-1-8_19-11-42. [​IMG]

Whew! says I.

Bob Gu, Montytc, Darby67 and 3 others like this.
  16. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    I had no idea she was born to the breed, thanks for the info.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and Rustifer like this.
  17. John*Wells

John
    Gomer Pyle USMC Season 2 Opie Joins the Marines

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Message #1178 of 2117 Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Series Commentary
    Peter Gunn (1958-1961)

As a pre-teen in the early 1960's, based on the influence of TV shows of the era, I was sure there was no finer profession than being a private detective in Los Angeles. I can cite several influences on me (which I do in other threads), but I'll concentrate on Peter Gunn here. Craig Stevens as the title character was a semi doppleganger for Cary Grant not only in looks and grooming, but endeavored a fairly unsuccessful voice inflection as well. Still, Stevens was as cool as Weejun loafers and Adler socks.

For those of you who are big fans of the series: Spoiler Alert--I'm about the shred the hell out of it.

One would think that the creation of Blake Edwards (who patterned Gunn after his Richard Diamond (Dick Powell) character), and the driving dark bass beat of Henry Mancini's theme song--how could this turn south? You could bet that most of the episodes--I just finished watching The Torch (S1Ep12) as an example-- would harbor a preponderance of the following elements:
    • Scripts generally began at Mother's (Hope Emerson)-- a dive with limited seating, a crappy tiny bar that somehow supported a first rate singer (Lola Alright as Edie Hart) and a full band. The place is seemingly located on a downtown street, yet there's never any cars moving or parked. Patrons apparently had to walk to the establishment.
    • Gunn's potential clientele requiring his expertise would need to meet him at Mother's as he evidently would not foot the rent for a proper office. Standard fee for services was $1,000 followed by his reassuring "I'll be in touch." Cash only. The IRS is still trying to find his tax records.
    • There is a constant simmering relationship between Gunn and Edie that leads one to believe their hibbity-dibbities were of epic proportion. Edie would invariably have to wait for him in his apartment, usually asleep on the couch, until he wandered in at some ungodly hour. Fortunately, she will have prepared coffee and sandwiches in advance of his arrival. I know I always demand a hot cup of coffee at 3:00 in the morning just before retiring to bed. Perhaps she needed him to stay up just a bit longer.
    • Policeman Lt. Jacoby (Hershel Bernardi) and Gunn inevitably and fortuitously seem to intersect on whatever case Peter is pursuing. There's an attempt to create some sharp dialogue between the two that's usually flatter than a griddle at Waffle House.
    • The bad guy is always identified up front--there's truly no mystery in whodunnit, yet Gunn utilizes a veritable army of skuzzy informants who uncannily have their finger on the pulse of every foul deed in town. Five bucks will get you the skinny on any of it. Shirley Temple could solve these capers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lola and Craig, Craig and Hershel, Craig with one of his reliable informants

Okay. Perhaps I'm a bit harsh on the series. Although Spartan Productions pumped out 114 episodes, it never achieved above 17th in Nielson ratings. However, Mancini's music won a boatload of awards. The scripts--meh.
    So I must temper my commentaries as they're a result of my more practiced adult eye and a self-admitted amateur knowledge of production. But as a kid, watching Peter Gunn was the berries.

Mysto, Bob Gu and Jeff Flugel like this.
  19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    In spite of the negatives, Peter Gunn is a very fun show to watch. Part of the attraction is that you don't have to think much while watching but can simply sit back and go with the flow.

Rustifer and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    A condition also had by the actress Barbara Bain. She was very uncomfortable filming those scenes.

JohnHopper and Jeff Flugel like this.