What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You know, Jeff, Mason Allan Dinehart "wore a cane and derby hat" in S4E22 of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp". Wyatt/Hugh even greets him, echoing the "Bat Masterson" TV show's lyrics, "Bat........Bat Masterson".

Re: Guy Williams. Even though "Bonanza" was in Season 5 when GW had his multi-episode try-out, I think Williams was still a big fan favorite and could have stolen the show from the remaining three, if he stayed with "Bonanza". I think Guy was riding 'Tornado' in "Bonanza". Williams' biography stated that the other Cartwheels, especially Short Mort and Moose, (That's a "Maverick" reference), didn't want another relative joining the show and were not friendly to him. Another cousin showed up at the Ponderosa later. That guy only lasted one episode.

So, after Pernell Roberts really left "Bonanza" after Season 6, Guy Williams was attached to "Lost in Space", and being top billed. Disney slowed his star momentum, also, by keeping him under contact, in case they were going to revive "Zorro", in color, when Disney moved to NBC. But Disney dropped "Zorro" and all the Frontierland westerns after leaving ABC.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
5.24 “The Jet Pilot”
Watched this one on a recommendation from HTF member Josh Steinberg in the dedicated Ozzie and Harriet thread…and he’s right, it’s a pip. Ozzie gives a speech at an event welcoming the opening of a nearby air force base. As thanks, the new AF colonel (Vinton Hayworth) gets special permission from the White House to allow Ozzie a chance to fly in one of their spiffy new fighter jets. Of course, Ozzie is nervous, but all it takes is a few hits off the jet’s oxygen tank and he turns into a daredevil speed demon. Very funny episode, especially Ozzie’s oxygen-fueled commentary during his flight.

View attachment 162539
View attachment 162530 View attachment 162531 View attachment 162532 View attachment 162533 View attachment 162534 View attachment 162535 View attachment 162536 View attachment 162537
Excellent Jeff! Here is Ozzie’s oxygen-fueled commentary. But don't watch if you intend to see the entire episode as it is a spoiler.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
so glad your in Japan Jeff , it gives a night-owl like me something new to read bc of the time zones. great reviews and pics as always , my favorite is little Deborah Watling in The invisible Man from ITC , i wish they would have used her more . she sure grew up to be a smart dolly bird 😸
Cheers, Frankie! Yep, Deborah Watling is arguably the best actor in The Invisible Man...certainly better than the guy who voices the Invisible Man himself! She was a cute kid who grew up to be a very cute Doctor Who companion a decade or so later:

b0a7d6570449e1cb02fd28b50b1a8123.jpg

You know, Jeff, Mason Allan Dinehart "wore a cane and derby hat" in S4E22 of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp". Wyatt/Hugh even greets him, echoing the "Bat Masterson" TV show's lyrics, "Bat........Bat Masterson".
Thanks for all the great extra info, Bob! Still can't picture Dinehart doing justice to the character of Bat, but any way you slice it, Wyatt Earp is a very fine western, and I look forward to watching more.

Re: Guy Williams. Even though "Bonanza" was in Season 5 when GW had his multi-episode try-out, I think Williams was still a big fan favorite and could have stolen the show from the remaining three, if he stayed with "Bonanza". I think Guy was riding 'Tornado' in "Bonanza". Williams' biography stated that the other Cartwheels, especially Short Mort and Moose, (That's a "Maverick" reference), didn't want another relative joining the show and were not friendly to him. Another cousin showed up at the Ponderosa later. That guy only lasted one episode.

So, after Pernell Roberts really left "Bonanza" after Season 6, Guy Williams was attached to "Lost in Space", and being top billed. Disney slowed his star momentum, also, by keeping him under contact, in case they were going to revive "Zorro", in color, when Disney moved to NBC. But Disney dropped "Zorro" and all the Frontierland westerns after leaving ABC.
Yes, I have heard that the regular Bonanza cast were none too welcoming to Guy Williams, sadly. I've yet to watch any of his handful of appearances as Will Cartwright...but at least his character got the girl, stealing Kathie Browne away from an indecisive Adam.

Excellent Jeff! Here is Ozzie’s oxygen-fueled commentary. But don't watch if you intend to see the entire episode as it is a spoiler.

Thanks for the kind words and the clip, Neal! The whole episode is quite funny, but those last few minutes you captured above are the high point, for sure. "Off we goooo, into the wild blue yonderrrrrrr..." :)

Last edited:

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I’ve been watching some episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century from the respective Kino Blu-ray releases and these shows have never looked better!

Yesterday, I pulled out a disc from the complete Columbo DVD set to watch “Fade In to Murder”, with William Shatner as a vain, arrogant actor starring as a TV detective. Rumours abound that Kino has acquired the rights to Columbo for Blu-ray, which would be fantastic, as the series would benefit from an HD presentation!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have made it now to Disc 3 of the second go on Wonder Woman; that will make it where I have 10 outings left in my overall viewing of the series (because I have seen the first and third gos).

Here is the menu for the third disc, second go:

wonderwomanseason2disc3menu.png

And here is the episode guide on that disc:

wonderwomanseason2disc3.jpg

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Peter Gunn 2.11 "The Price is Murder". Peter is stalked by someone who recently broke out of prison. He is committed to killing Gunn b/c he was the one who helped put him away in the first place. The bad guy finally kidnaps Edie to torment Peter. But with a little help from Lt. Jacoby they outsmart the bad guy and rescue the fair maiden. "Peter Gunn" would be my answer to one of those desert island questions: you're stranded on a faraway isle and can bring only one Timeless Media release with you; which will it be? The show is always smooth and even-keeled like Peter Gunn himself. It almost always takes place at night, and is peopled by colorful characters that Gunn interacts with as he solves the crime. In this episode J. Pat O'Malley has a brief turn as an old friend of Peter's. He spouts his philosophy of life in exchange for a little whiskey, and finally gives Peter the information he's looking for. It only takes about three minutes of screen time, but it's those little vignettes that make Peter Gunn such an enjoyable show.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Peter Gunn 2.11 "The Price is Murder". Peter is stalked by someone who recently broke out of prison. He is committed to killing Gunn b/c he was the one who helped put him away in the first place. The bad guy finally kidnaps Edie to torment Peter. But with a little help from Lt. Jacoby they outsmart the bad guy and rescue the fair maiden. "Peter Gunn" would be my answer to one of those desert island questions: you're stranded on a faraway isle and can bring only one Timeless Media release with you; which will it be? The show is always smooth and even-keeled like Peter Gunn himself. It almost always takes place at night, and is peopled by colorful characters that Gunn interacts with as he solves the crime. In this episode J. Pat O'Malley has a brief turn as an old friend of Peter's. He spouts his philosophy of life in exchange for a little whiskey, and finally gives Peter the information he's looking for. It only takes about three minutes of screen time, but it's those little vignettes that make Peter Gunn such an enjoyable show.
Nicely written commentary Glenn for a strong episode. Very enjoyable reading!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Cannon - Moving Target. With Susan Oliver, Richard Carlson, and Keith Andes. Cannon hides his client in a motor home. Conrad and Oliver have good chemistry together.

Did you know that it also had the late, great Tom Kennedy as fictitious talk show host Tommy Corbin (Kennedy was also a real-life talk show host at one time in 1970 w/The Real Tom Kennedy Show)?

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, this will be the last post before Thanksgiving. I went through a few shows, but now I am getting ready for our annual family trip to Nashville, Tn. My family gathers in Tennessee since we are scattered (Mom in Kentucky, I'm in Georgia and my brother is in Nashville). We may get in some Ozzie and Harriet while we visit. I hope everyone has a great time with family while enjoying traditions of turkey, football and the onslaught of favored classic Christmas specials.

Custer
The Gauntlet (1.15) Edward Mulhare, Barbara Rush, Dennis Patrick, Grant Woods. A British colonel (Mulhare) is assigned to root out an Irish revolutionary (Patrick) attempting to sell weapons to the Sioux to try and twist America into supporting his cause. Good cast, but just plain dull episode.

The Raiders (1.16) Yvonne DeCarlo, Peter Adams, Henry Beckman, Reed Hadley. This series appears to be on fumes at this point. The Kiowa are accused of sending raiding parties after small wagon trains and Custer and company are assigned to investigate. Custer doesn't believe it is Indians. Complicating his efforts is a bitter survivor (DeCarlo) of an attack and a Major (Adams) who was a prosecution witness at his court-martial.

Pursued (1.17) Earl Holliman, Pilar Seurat, Dub Taylor, Hank Patterson, Felice Orlandi. Apparently during the network run, this episode went unaired. A shame as it is much better than the above episodes. An Army scout (Holliman) is being imprisoned for supplying Indians with government supplies. Before he is transported, Custer allows him to have a final moment with his pregnant wife/squaw (Seurat). Samuels kills a soldier and escapes. Custer feels responsible, so he goes to bring him back. The story then becomes a chase and hide as Custer and Samuels face each other and go on the run from an Indian party. I always enjoy Holliman in westerns. Excellent episode.

End of series. Finis.

The Waltons
The Choice (3.20) MariClare Costello. Choices – we all make them everyday, as do the two oldest Walton boys. We know that John-boy has made his and has the support of his family. Jason is not as loud about his dreams and ideas. He is very serious about his music and has the support of his piano teacher. The family is not so supportive. Jason is never able to practice as much as he needs, his teacher sees his potential and suggest a music conservatory for his burgeoning abilities. Jason tries to get his families support, but John says absolutely not. He wants Jason to become the son in Walton & Sons Lumber. Jason applies for a scholarship and threatens to move out to do what he is called to do. An emotional episode reminding me that sometimes you need to stand up for yourself and your goals. Conflict between a father's desire to inspire your children and the realization that their independence might lie in a different direction.

The Statue (3.21) Mary Jackson, Helen Kleeb, Ronnie Claire Edwards, Joe Conley. Grandpa wins a statue that aggravates Grandma. John-boy writes a story about the Baldwin sisters that tells the bittersweet story of Miss Emily and Ashley Longworth. If published, the story might prove embarrassing to the ladies.

The Song (3.22) Wilford Brimley, Erin Moran, James Gammon, Mayf Nutter. Jim-Bob has a crush on a young lady(Moran) who can sing well. He interests Jason in using her as a duet partner when singing his newly composed song. Jim-Bob is trying to ask her out. She only has eyes for Jason which creates a romantic triangle. Jason and Jim-Bob display a healthy dose of rivalry in this one.

The Woman (3.23) John Ritter, Paul Jenkins, Laura Campbell. John-Boy meets and falls for a visiting poet. He is ready to run off to New York to be with her. He eventually realizes the futility of his desires as the boy is not ready to leave the mountains. Olivia wishes to celebrate her Anniversary by renewing their vows, John is not quite enamored of this idea but slowly grows to accept the idea.

The Venture (3.24) M. Emmet Walsh, Herbert Anderson, Claudia Bryar, John Carter, James Gammon, Rance Howard. John's idea of Walton & Sons Lumber picks up steam in this episode as John takes out a loan (the Depression is lifting) to buy equipment for the expansion. While building his new shop, Grandpa takes sick and everyone else is unable to help much so John is working long hours and in bad weather. He suffers pneumonia and is hospitalized. Unable to finish the new building, he wonders how he can repay the bank loan, pay the hospital bill and keep from losing the house. Ike overhears a heated argument and rallies the neighbors to assist John and the family complete the sawmill. A sweet ending that seems real. A great way to finish up this excellent season.

End of season 3. Next up, season 4.

M Squad
A Debt Of Honor (3.20) William Phipps, Robert Clarke, Judy Banner. During a crack down on Chicago crime, Bugsy Page makes threats against the Attorney General Russel Madison. Ballinger needs to decide if the threats are real or simply an attempt to throw the man off.

The Man With Frank's Face (3.21) Robert Bailey, Tom Reese, Greta Thyssen, Herbert Ellis, John Harmon. Frank impersonates a forger (Marvin in a duplicate role) and nearly passes himself off until the man's girlfriend uncovers his duplicity. Earliest use of doubles that I have seen in a series.

Burglar's Nightmare (3.22) Robert Armstrong, Connie Hines, John Goddard. A trio of bank robbers try to blow a safe. It all goes wrong and one of the criminals is killed in the explosion. Ballinger thinks there is a connection between other bank vault jobs in the area.

Needle In A Haystack (3.23) H. M. Wynant, Joan Marshall, Kip King, Johnny Silver. Lanny Cord escapes from a court room and disappears. Ballinger is interested in the case because he's originally arrested Cord who had always sworn to kill Ballinger if he had the opportunity.

Due to a M*A*S*H rerun with Dennis Dugan as Col. Potter's son-in-law, I introduced my wife to Dugan's best character – Captain Freedom. Such a great character and emotional involvement from Belker. It has been a while since I viewed any Hill St. I forgot just how compelling this show was. I might be dipping into more of this soon.

Hill St. Blues
The World According To Freedom (2.8) Dennis Dugan, Trinidad Silva. Mick crosses path with a good-hearted soul who is just a bit off normal. Captain Freedom (Dugan) assumed that Belker was a criminal and interfered with an undercover sting. The Hill is in chaos due to an horrific murder/rape in a local bar that appears to be gang related. Furillo calls a summit and promises hourly rousts until the culprits are found. LaRue goes undercover in Holding to gather information about an arsonist and finds himself helpless.

Pestolozzi's Revenge (2.9) Dennis Dugan, Jon Cypher, Vincent Lucchesi. Sullivan commission is searching for corruption and Chief Daniels hemorrhoids. Craziness is still running at the Hill,Furillo and all upper tier personnel have been issued subpoena's, Renko is missing his revolver, an undercover sting is set up and Captain Freedom is involved in a robbery.

The Spy Who Came In From Delgado (2.10) Dennis Dugan, John Karlen, Janet DeMay. A sexy spy is sent to the Hill to uncover corruption, Art Delgado returns to the precinct and Lt. Hunter uses basset hounds to track down feral dogs. Captain Freedom may have come from an abusive home.

Freedom's Last Stand (2.11) Dennis Dugan, Jon Cypher, John Karlen. Chief Daniels had a grand pain free movement before he is to testify in front of the commission, the case against Art Delgado is settled and Furillo tenders his badge and gun for being used by the Chief. Lucy Bates is representing the Hill in an off the books poker tournament. Captain Freedom makes a huge assist at the undercover sting and is cradled by Mick as Andy watches quietly.

Hard to condense these episodes into just a few sentences.

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer
That School Girl Complex (1.37) Andrea King, Katherine Squire, Maureen Cassidy, Francis MacDonald, Carol Nugent. Mike is hired to find the culprit behind a series of pranks at an exclusive girls' prep school - students have been poisoned, burned with acid and now shot at. Mike has three suspects: an elderly caretaker who was forced to retire, a middle-aged administrator who was passed over when the new head mistress was hired by the school's Board of Trustees, and lovely student who craves attention.

To Bury A Friend (1.38) James Westerfield, Jacqueline Mayo, Than Wyenn, Larry Blake. A friend from the old neighborhood asks Mike to travel to Chicago to claim the body of her son. While visiting the Windy City, Mike learns that the young man was murdered and the police don't appear to be interested in investigating the crime. When Mike visits the murdered man's room to pick up his personal effects, he is attacked and brutally beaten by a pair of thugs who want to know where "it" is. Mike has no idea, but he's determined to find out and make the two goons who attacked him which they'd never been born.

Mere Maid (1.39) Allison Hayes, Neil Hamilton, Mary Webster, Robert Riordan. A pretty secretary swims across the lake to the cabin Mike has rented for vacation and invites him to a party at her uncle's estate. The party soon loses its appeal when Mike bumps into an old adversary, a lawyer who claims Mike railroaded his client by faking evidence. When the lawyer is accused of murdering his host, Mike shows the value of a fake identification to smoke out the real killer.

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour
Blood Bargain (2.5) Richard Kiley, Anne Francis, Richard Long, Barney Martin, Ross Elliott, Peter Brocco. A hired killer takes pity on his intended victim and agrees to help “stage” a murder. What is they say, “No good deed goes unpunished.” Good story and a nice twist.

Nothing Ever Happens In Linvale (2.6) Gary Merrill, Phyllis Thaxter, Fess Parker, George Furth, Burt Mustin. Best story on this disk, just the right amount of comedy and suspense. I definitely didn't see the twist on this one, I thought this was going to be a low rent “Rear Window”, boy was I wrong. Fess Parker was excellent as the “aw shucks” law officer.

Starring The Defense (2.7) Richard Basehart, Russell Johnson, S. John Launer, Diane Mountford, Jean Hale, Teno Pollick, John Zaremba, Christopher Connelly, Barney Phillips. An absentee father (absent as he was an actor) feels compelled to play one final role when his son is arrested for murder. Good performances even if the ending was rather obvious.

The Cadaver (2.8) Michael Parks, Joby Baker, Jennifer West, Don Marshall, Ruth McDevitt. Deliciously creepy episode about a college student with a drinking problem and the prank his roommate played on him. The outcome was unsuspected. Another good episode.

The Abbott & Costello Show
Haunted House (1.12) Hillary Brooke, Sid Fields, Joe Besser. Bud and Lou spend the night in a haunted house to help out Hillary.

Hungry (1.13) Joe Kirk. Lou just wants to eat anything as long as it is not meatballs.

Music Lover (1.14) Hillary Brooke, Sid Fields, Joe Kirk. Lou and Bud play a trick on the music loving father of Hillary.

What can you say, just hilarious and looking so good.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Well, this will be the last post before Thanksgiving. I went through a few shows, but now I am getting ready for our annual family trip to Nashville, Tn. My family gathers in Tennessee since we are scattered (Mom in Kentucky, I'm in Georgia and my brother is in Nashville). We may get in some Ozzie and Harriet while we visit. I hope everyone has a great time with family while enjoying traditions of turkey, football and the onslaught of favored classic Christmas specials.

Hill St. Blues
The World According To Freedom (2.8) Dennis Dugan, Trinidad Silva. Mick crosses path with a good-hearted soul who is just a bit off normal. Captain Freedom (Dugan) assumed that Belker was a criminal and interfered with an undercover sting. The Hill is in chaos due to an horrific murder/rape in a local bar that appears to be gang related. Furillo calls a summit and promises hourly rousts until the culprits are found. LaRue goes undercover in Holding to gather information about an arsonist and finds himself helpless.

Pestolozzi's Revenge (2.9) Dennis Dugan, Jon Cypher, Vincent Lucchesi. Sullivan commission is searching for corruption and Chief Daniels hemorrhoids. Craziness is still running at the Hill,Furillo and all upper tier personnel have been issued subpoena's, Renko is missing his revolver, an undercover sting is set up and Captain Freedom is involved in a robbery.

The Spy Who Came In From Delgado (2.10) Dennis Dugan, John Karlen, Janet DeMay. A sexy spy is sent to the Hill to uncover corruption, Art Delgado returns to the precinct and Lt. Hunter uses basset hounds to track down feral dogs. Captain Freedom may have come from an abusive home.

Freedom's Last Stand (2.11) Dennis Dugan, Jon Cypher, John Karlen. Chief Daniels had a grand pain free movement before he is to testify in front of the commission, the case against Art Delgado is settled and Furillo tenders his badge and gun for being used by the Chief. Lucy Bates is representing the Hill in an off the books poker tournament. Captain Freedom makes a huge assist at the undercover sting and is cradled by Mick as Andy watches quietly.
Doug great to see someone here who appreciates Hill Street Blues, one of the greatest cop series in the history of classic television yet very much forgotten on this forum.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doug great to see someone here who appreciates Hill Street Blues, one of the greatest cop series in the history of classic television yet very much forgotten on this forum.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

In my opinion (for what that is worth) this is my favorite series. I have a strong love of Star Trek (original) and I used to say that was my favorite.

About a year before the series premiered, I began working at DFCS (Dept. Of Family and Children Services - Macon, Ga.). In no way is casework the same as police work, but the people element is similar (people pushed to their limits, losing patience with their situations, personal or job wise; the show struck a chord with me). It was the most real representation of my work milieu I had ever seen. I was hooked by the gut wrenching ending of the first episode. The series never failed to surprise me. I took to watching the ratings to see if this great show would be renewed. It lasted 7 years and it became a little less surprising, but I don't believe it ever jumped the shark. I'm glad it left on its own terms.

When tv on DVD became a thing, I eagerly purchased season 1 and then 2, then nothing. I was devastated. I hated Fox for their decision.

Imagine my delight when Shout! finally announced the complete series release. I pre-ordered the set at full price and couldn't wait for it to arrive. Great set and I still like the case, housing the 7 individual seasons. I now see a bargain version available at Walmart.

Still consider this my all time favorite series. Still holds up and still wrecks me emotionally.

"Hello J. D." still brings me to tears.

As always, " Let's be careful out there! "

TLones1060

Agent
Real Name
Tim Lones
First of all I am in a Holiday Mood. Second, nothing says these have to be official releases.

Statler Brothers Christmas Present. A new re-release of a 1985 Holiday Special with guests Crystal Gayle, Roger Miller, Merle Haggard and son Marty, with special guest Gene Autry.

TNN 1991 rerun of the NBC Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters Christmas Show from 1980. With Andre Crouch, Bobby Goldsboro, Mr. and Mrs. Mandrell their parents, and the Krofft Puppets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks