What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Yesterday Jul 27, 2022 we lost a man we all grew up with and loved as Wally Cleaver. This episode aired on Christmas 1958. In an article from ABCNews today July 28, 2022, the late Tony Dow noted this as his favorite LITB episode. You can see why as it’s a beautiful scenic episode filmed with love and tenderness as Ward takes Wally and The Beaver to Shadow Lake to experience the things he did in his childhood. It emphasizes the importance of family, togetherness and relationships. I know this because last Friday I lost someone very close to me, in fact she was my best friend. I dedicate this to the family of Tony Dow and to my dear mother.​

S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-1.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-2.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-5.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-7.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-9.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-10.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-11.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-15.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-16.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-17.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-18.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-20.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-21.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-23.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-26.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-29.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-31.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-34.jpg
S02E13 Happy Weekend (Dec.25.1958)-37.jpg

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I am binge watching The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. In the episode, "The Traders" ( aired May 8, 1953), Harriet at the very beginning of the show mentioned the latest issue of Look magazine with Adlai Stevenson on the cover. She said there was a nice article about the Nelson family inside. Of course, I had to go and look it up on eBay to see if an issue was actually for sale. Guess who just bought it?

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I am binge watching The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. In the episode, "The Traders" ( aired May 8, 1953), Harriet at the very beginning of the show mentioned the latest issue of Look magazine with Adlai Stevenson on the cover. She said there was a nice article about the Nelson family inside (issue dated May 19, 1953). Of course, I had to go and look it up on eBay to see if an issue was actually for sale. Guess who just bought it?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Yesterday Jul 27, 2022 we lost a man we all grew up with and loved as Wally Cleaver. This episode aired on Christmas 1958. In an article from ABCNews today July 28, 2022, the late Tony Dow noted this as his favorite LITB episode. You can see why as it’s a beautiful scenic episode filmed with love and tenderness as Ward takes Wally and The Beaver to Shadow Lake to experience the things he did in his childhood.​
Thanks Neal for your fine screen caps and heartfelt appreciation for this special episode and Tony Dow's recent passing. I'm going to watch this episode tonight! Christmas in July! (even though LITB never actually had a Christmas themed episode, probably because of it's producers syndication considerations in later years, even though that didn't stop other long running shows in heavy syndication like Father Knows Best, I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith Show).
It emphasizes the importance of family, togetherness and relationships. I know this because last Friday I lost someone very close to me, in fact she was my best friend. I dedicate this to the family of Tony Dow and to my dear mother.
May God Bless you Neal during this time of terrible grief. Your deep Love for your Dear Mom is so evident, my sincere condolences for your loss my friend.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Neal for your fine screen caps and heartfelt appreciation for this special episode and Tony Dow's recent passing. I'm going to watch this episode tonight! Christmas in July! (even though LITB never actually had a Christmas themed episode, probably because of it's producers syndication considerations in later years, even though that didn't stop other long running shows in heavy syndication like Father Knows Best, I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith Show).
Randall this was hastily done within a few hours as I wanted it to be a timely tribute. It was not a Christmas episode as you stated but the creators certainly echoed the spirit of Christmas with it’s message. This morning I watched Mr. Novak S01E02 To Lodge and Dislodge (Oct.01.1963) co-starring Tony Dow and Kim Darby. What a spectacular episode that I hadn’t appreciated the first time I viewed it upon it’s release back in November of 2018. Tony Dow showed his versatility as a dramatic actor in this but it was Kim Darby who stole the show in her acting debut. I know that no one needs convince you as to how good Mr. Novak is but anyone who hasn’t seen it must definitely pick it up!
May God Bless you Neal during this time of terrible grief. Your deep Love for your Dear Mom is so evident, my sincere condolences for your loss my friend.
Randall thank you for your condolences and your moral support over the past months along with Jeff, Marv and Alan. Right now it hurts real bad but as the saying goes time heals all wounds or at least lessens the pain. I'm grateful that I joined this forum. Thanks to everyone!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Yesterday Jul 27, 2022 we lost a man we all grew up with and loved as Wally Cleaver. This episode aired on Christmas 1958. In an article from ABCNews today July 28, 2022, the late Tony Dow noted this as his favorite LITB episode. You can see why as it’s a beautiful scenic episode filmed with love and tenderness as Ward takes Wally and The Beaver to Shadow Lake to experience the things he did in his childhood. It emphasizes the importance of family, togetherness and relationships. I know this because last Friday I lost someone very close to me, in fact she was my best friend. I dedicate this to the family of Tony Dow and to my dear mother.​
Sincere condolences, Neal! I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thank you for bringing this funny and sweet Leave It to Beaver episode to my attention. It's one I don't recall seeing before. I just watched it on YouTube, and it helped to pass the time as I wait for my connecting flight here at Incheon Airport.

Rest in peace to your dear mother, Neal...and rest in peace Tony Dow, one of TVdom's best ever big brothers.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Bionic Woman
2.10 “Jaime’s Shield”
2.11 “Jaime’s Shield, Part 2”
2.17 “Jaime and the King”
Been quite a while since I’ve sampled any bionic "ching ching ching..." action, so I dug out my Universal Complete Series DVD set, which has nice picture quality (although apparently compromised audio on some episodes). I started with “Jaime and the King,” which was a hoot. And hey, any excuse that the producers could find to get the lovely Lindsay Wagner in a skimpy belly dancer costume is A-OK with me! Jaime goes undercover as a tutor to the spoiled son (Lance Kerwin) of a king (Robert Loggia, having a ball) of a small but oil-rich Arabian country, in order to protect both royals from an incipient assassination attempt spearheaded by the king’s adjutant (Joseph Ruskin). Jaime wins the punk prince over with some displays of bionic strength, including putting her fist through a metal shield. She also gets a rise out of dad by doing the dance of the seven veils. Meanwhile, Oscar Goldman (the always dapper and deeply-tanned Richard Anderson) gets distracted by some poolside hotties.

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h17m58s436.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h15m36s506.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h14m57s839.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h16m27s318.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h20m08s912.png

“Jaime’s Shield” finds our Bionic babe back undercover, this time as a police academy cadet, graduating to full duty on the mean streets of L.A. in part 2. Yes, this is a two-parter, which means it’s a bit padded. The plot’s typically ridiculous, too, as Jaime is tasked with finding the inside woman at the academy who is actually a devious foreign agent (Rebecca Balding, complete with bad Boris and Natashi accent) planning to kidnap a visiting foreign dignitary. George Maharis, still in fighting trim, guest stars as a chauvinistic cop who is slowly won over by Jaime’s big blue eyes, sunny disposition and legit crimebusting skills. Ms. Wagner remains this series' chief asset, possessing the rare ability to seem completely natural and at ease on screen. She’s genuinely beautiful (and, as the belly dancer outfit showed, rocked a smokin’ bod), but it's her down-to-earth earnest, disarmingly sweet persona which makes so warm approachable to viewers. Also with William Bryant, Linden Chiles, James McEachin and Arch (now billed as Archie) Johnson.

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h11m59s685.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h09m53s277.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h12m29s408.png

Mr. Novak
1.15 “He Who Can, Does”
1.27 “Day in the Year”
A truly excellent show that I’ve left unwatched for too long, featuring James Franciscus in the role of his career as John Novak, a highly principled (nigh on saintly) English teacher at Jefferson High School. Randall profiled these two episodes much better and more thoroughly than I could in his dedicated Mr. Novak thread (here and here respectively)…suffice it to say that both are terrific dramas, anchored by two phenomenal guest performances. Edward Mulhare, miles away from slumming it on Knight Rider, does astonishing work as a famous world travelling, hard-partying novelist whose new-found friendship with Novak masks a hidden agenda – reuniting with one of the many women that he used and left behind…in this case, Vice Principal Pagano (Jeanne Bal, obviously relishing getting some emotionally meaty material to work with).

“Day in the Year” deals with drug use in the school, as one of Novak’s students collapses in class from an overdose. Malachi Throne plays Medford, a narcotics detective on the case, whose brusque, seen-it-all demeanor at first irritates Novak, until he comes to see just how deeply Medford takes his work. Throne, always a reliable screen presence, is just great here. David Sheiner also gives a quietly powerful, albeit brief, performance as the doctor called in to tend to the girl. Eventually, Medford and his men find the pusher responsible (played by a pre-High Chaparral Mark Slade). Both episodes are typical of the series: sensitively written and authentic scripts, full of rich and carefully observed emotion, uniformly acted with passion and intelligence by both the guest performers and regular cast (especially Dean Jagger as Principal Vane, who is utterly fabulous in the role). A very fine series…it’s just a pity that S2 is M.I.A. on DVD.

Naked City – 1.1 “Meridian”
The premiere episode of the initial half-hour version of this famed police procedural, filmed extensively on the streets all around N.Y.C. It’s Lt. Halloran’s (James Franciscus again, pre-Novak) first day on the job as a plainclothes detective, working alongside amiable and compasisonate veteran officer, Lt. Dan Muldoon (John McIntire). The two men take each other’s measure as they deal with a couple of hoodlums who rob a jewelry store and instigate a tense hostage situation at a sporting goods exhibition. Top class cop drama, nicely shot verite style and narrated by producer Herbert B. Leonard. Franciscus really knew how to portray the idealistic, eager beaver new colleague, didn’t he?

Hawaii Five-O
– 1.14 “Up Tight”
A blonde, frequently bikini-clad Brenda Scott gets a juicy role here, as a bored rich girl who’s involved with a Timothy Leary-esque former professor who’s been cooking up some special pills which have been sending his acolytes on some bad – and fatal – trips. Ed Flanders is also good as the smug, slimy guru who gets a taste of his own medicine at the climax, courtesy of grieving father John McLiam. Whle the production was forced to refer to the drugs in question as speed, the trippy-dippy light effects employed onscreen are obviously referencing LSD. As always, the location filming in late '60s Hawaii is invaluable.

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h31m16s221.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h26m31s322.png

MV5BMmFmMzM3YmYtZjFlZS00OTU4LTgzMTItMTMyYzBmNmRjMjA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4NDgxMjU2._V1_.jpg

Ironside – 1.24 “Perfect Crime”
A string of sniper attacks at a local college where Ironside is lecturing lead him to conclude that one of his students – particularly the handful who are members of the school’s shooting club - is responsible. Ironside's team think they’re dealing with a madman, but the Chief senses a clever scheme lurking behind the seemingly-random shootings. Unlike the aforementioned Hawaii Five-O episode, Brenda Scott isn’t given much to work with here, just mostly standing around looking sullen and sporting an unattractive black wig. Instead, guest acting honors go to Pete Duel, who plays one of the student suspects and seems too clever by half. Other suspects include Ron Russell and Shelly Novack. It’s easy to spot the culprit but this is still an entertaining episode, thanks to the always-watchable Raymond Burr as the gruff Ironside.

The Streets of San Francisco
– 2.7 “Harem”
Rick Nelson, a looong way from his innocent Ozzie and Harriet days, is suitably ice-cold and remorseless as a former pop star turned Pied Piper-esque pimp who callously murders any of his runaway groupies-turned-call girls who get out of hand. The case really gets under the skin of veteran detective Mike Stone (the simultaenously avuncular and edgy Karl Malden). We've got quite a bevy of ‘70s beauties on hand here, from Kay Lenz, Battlestar Galactica's Laurette Spang and a returning Darlene Carr, as Det. Stone’s daughter (who oddly calls her dad by his first name "Mike" throughout). Ms. Carr is as cute as can be, and brings a welcome ray of wholesome sunshine to this rather sleazy but well-mounted episode. Also with Mr. Novak's Vince Howard pops up on the show (in one of nine times) as fellow SFPD cop, Charlie Johnson.

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h06m36s833.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-10h56m53s845.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-10h57m19s212.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-10h58m53s588.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h04m31s618.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h05m16s513.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h02m29s508.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-10h59m29s944.png

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-10h58m59s225.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h00m42s375.png

Due South – 1.3 “Manhunt”
Leslie Nielsen guest stars as a veteran mountie badass and former pal of Constable Benton Fraser's (Paul Gross) father, who's being stalked by a 62-year-old but still fearsome William Smith, as a notorious cop killer and escaped con Geiger. Very enjoyable fish-out-of-water buddy cop show. In the first of four appearances on the series, Nielsen amusingly (and skillfully) treads the line between serious old school acting and post-Naked Gun poker-faced comedy. Also with David Marciano as Fraser's American pal on the Chicago P.D., Ray Vecchio.

Leave It to Beaver – 2.13 “Happy Weekend”
As mentioned before, Neal's great screencaps above got me to check this puppy out on YouTube. Funny, warm and sweet family comedy, liberally sprinkled with some cynical wit. Ward's attempt to pass on some of his happy childhood memories spent at a rustic mountain cabin with his sons (who initially would much rather watch a jungle potboiler at the movie theater and read comic books) doesn't quite go as planned.

At first I thought the pond that Ward and the boys went fishing in was the same as the Gilligan's Island lagoon. It sure looked like it. But doing some research, it appears that, although the early seasons of LITB were shot at the Republic (later CBS Studios) lot, the GI lagoon wasn't built until 1964. I'm sure many of you classic TV gurus are much more up on this kind of behind-the-scenes stuff than am I.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
1.22 “The Dental Receptionist”
Ozzie soon regrets a flirtatious moment shared with his dentist's new southern belle receptionist (played by Shirley Mitchell).

1.23 “The Speech”
Ozzie painstakingly rehearses for a speech at the Chamber of Commerce, after Thorny makes him nervous that his old high school speech outline is corny. Joseph Kearns makes the first of 16 appearances on the series).

1.24 “Safe Crackers”
While in Herb Dunkle's empty office handing in his tax return paperwork, Ozzie teaches Ricky how to crack a safe. Or so he thinks…

In the latter, Joseph Kearns returns as accountant Herb Dunkle. Also starring Bob Sweeney, who would go on to forge a formidable career as a TV director – including helming a whopping 80 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Best episode of the week Rosemary and Thyme.
As usual, the best episodes are in bold

Monday
Father Knows best Season 2 Episode 25 The Grass is Greener

Outstanding, I look forward to this show every month. Similar theme to this week's Waltons episode The Legend, Jim's successful college friend stops by for a visit.
Hawaii Five-0 Season 2 Episode 5 Ma'eme'e
Book-Em Danno

1659181821603.png

Tuesday
Fresh Prince of Bel Air Season 1 Episode 6 Mistaken Identity

This show has been getting better with each episode

1659182243495.png

The Waltons Season 1 Episode 10 The Legend
A wide range of topics covered including the hardships of war, living in the past, and becoming a man.

Wednesday
The Bob Newhart Show Season 2 Episode 16 Oh, Brother
Rosemary and Thyme Pilot Episode And No Birds Sing
Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme, two plant and flower lovers, meet and hit it off while searching for the cause of two mysterious accidents concerning a very poisonous plant.

It's hard to believe it's been 19 years since this excellent murder mystery first aired. It hasn't been that long since I watched all 22 episodes on Netflix but I didn't remember much about this episode other than a vague recollection of the ending. Might have to re-evaluate the ten year rule for re-watching episodes. The show has a laid back easy going feel that's never boring and always engaging. My wife and I were trying to predict who did it but couldn't, the ending was quite good and more tense than the rest of the episode. The garden theme of the show is also a nice plus.

If you're looking for a good light murder mystery this is a nice set. Only 22 episodes though, could have done with a few more.

Quotes
Rosemary Boxer: Maybe he'll come back when she's bored with him.
Laura Thyme: [Bitterly] I wouldn't have him back if he crawled back on hands and knees over broken glass!
Rosemary Boxer: Attagirl!

Thursday
Big Bang Theory Season 2 Episode 9 The White Asparagus Triangulation
The Avengers Season 4 Episode 10 Dial a Deadly Number
My second favorite episode of the week.

1659183156640.png

1659183285135.png

Friday
That GIrl Season 1 Episode 8 Little Auction Annie
Stargate SG1 Season 2 Episode 14 Touchstone

Great spook episode

1659183786957.png

1659183848305.png

Saturday

The Protectors Season 1 Episode 5 Ceremony for the Dead
Bonanza Season 3 Episode 23 The Guilty
Ben's friendship gets tested.

Sunday
Adam-12 Season 3 Episode 2 Log 35: Easy, Bare Rider
McCloud Season 1 Episode 1 Who Says You Can't Make Friends in New York City
It was nice to finally see the full episode.

J.D.'s first appearance as Chief Clifford
1659184268005.png

McCloud getting setup for an ambush
1659184303679.png

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Bionic Woman
2.10 “Jaime’s Shield”
Been quite a while since I’ve sampled any bionic "ching ching ching..." action, so I dug out my Universal Complete Series DVD set, which has nice picture quality (although apparently compromised audio on some episodes). I started with “Jaime and the King,” which was a hoot. And hey, any excuse that the producers could find to get the lovely Lindsay Wagner in a skimpy belly dancer costume is A-OK with me! Jaime goes undercover as a tutor to the spoiled son (Lance Kerwin) of a king (Robert Loggia, having a ball) of a small but oil-rich Arabian country, in order to protect both royals from an incipient assassination attempt spearheaded by the king’s adjutant (Joseph Ruskin). Jaime wins the punk prince over with some displays of bionic strength, including putting her fist through a metal shield. She also gets a rise out of dad by doing the dance of the seven veils. Meanwhile, Oscar Goldman (the always dapper and deeply-tanned Richard Anderson) gets distracted by some poolside hotties.

View attachment 146685 View attachment 146686 View attachment 146688 View attachment 146689 View attachment 146690

“Jaime’s Shield” finds our Bionic babe back undercover, this time as a police academy cadet, graduating to full duty on the mean streets of L.A. in part 2. Yes, this is a two-parter, which means it’s a bit padded. The plot’s typically ridiculous, too, as Jaime is tasked with finding the inside woman at the academy who is actually a devious foreign agent (Rebecca Balding, complete with bad Boris and Natashi accent) planning to kidnap a visiting foreign dignitary. George Maharis, still in fighting trim, guest stars as a chauvinistic cop who is slowly won over by Jaime’s big blue eyes, sunny disposition and legit crimebusting skills. Ms. Wagner remains this series' chief asset, possessing the rare ability to seem completely natural and at ease on screen. She’s genuinely beautiful (and, as the belly dancer outfit showed, rocked a smokin’ bod), but it's her down-to-earth earnest, disarmingly sweet persona which makes so warm approachable to viewers. Also with William Bryant, Linden Chiles, James McEachin and Arch (now billed as Archie) Johnson.

View attachment 146692 View attachment 146693 View attachment 146694

Mr. Novak
1.15 “He Who Can, Does”
1.27 “Day in the Year”
A truly excellent show that I’ve left unwatched for too long, featuring James Franciscus in the role of his career as John Novak, a highly principled (nigh on saintly) English teacher at Jefferson High School. Randall profiled these two episodes much better and more thoroughly than I could in his dedicated Mr. Novak thread (here and here respectively)…suffice it to say that both are terrific dramas, anchored by two phenomenal guest performances. Edward Mulhare, miles away from slumming it on Knight Rider, does astonishing work as a famous world travelling, hard-partying novelist whose new-found friendship with Novak masks a hidden agenda – reuniting with one of the many women that he used and left behind…in this case, Vice Principal Pagano (Jeanne Bal, obviously relishing getting some emotionally meaty material to work with).

“Day in the Year” deals with drug use in the school, as one of Novak’s students collapses in class from an overdose. Malachi Throne plays Medford, a narcotics detective on the case, whose brusque, seen-it-all demeanor at first irritates Novak, until he comes to see just how deeply Medford takes his work. Throne, always a reliable screen presence, is just great here. David Sheiner also gives a quietly powerful, albeit brief, performance as the doctor called in to tend to the girl. Eventually, Medford and his men find the pusher responsible (played by a pre-High Chaparral Mark Slade). Both episodes are typical of the series: sensitively written and authentic scripts, full of rich and carefully observed emotion, uniformly acted with passion and intelligence by both the guest performers and regular cast (especially Dean Jagger as Principal Vane, who is utterly fabulous in the role). A very fine series…it’s just a pity that S2 is M.I.A. on DVD.

Naked City – 1.1 “Meridian”
The premiere episode of the initial half-hour version of this famed police procedural, filmed extensively on the streets all around N.Y.C. It’s Lt. Halloran’s (James Franciscus again, pre-Novak) first day on the job as a plainclothes detective, working alongside amiable and compasisonate veteran officer, Lt. Dan Muldoon (John McIntire). The two men take each other’s measure as they deal with a couple of hoodlums who rob a jewelry store and instigate a tense hostage situation at a sporting goods exhibition. Top class cop drama, nicely shot verite style and narrated by producer Herbert B. Leonard. Franciscus really knew how to portray the idealistic, eager beaver new colleague, didn’t he?

Hawaii Five-O
– 1.14 “Up Tight”
A blonde, frequently bikini-clad Brenda Scott gets a juicy role here, as a bored rich girl who’s involved with a Timothy Leary-esque former professor who’s been cooking up some special pills which have been sending his acolytes on some bad – and fatal – trips. Ed Flanders is also good as the smug, slimy guru who gets a taste of his own medicine at the climax, courtesy of grieving father John McLiam. Whle the production was forced to refer to the drugs in question as speed, the trippy-dippy light effects employed onscreen are obviously referencing LSD. As always, the location filming in late '60s Hawaii is invaluable.

View attachment 146695 View attachment 146697
MV5BMmFmMzM3YmYtZjFlZS00OTU4LTgzMTItMTMyYzBmNmRjMjA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4NDgxMjU2._V1_.jpg

Ironside – 1.24 “Perfect Crime”
A string of sniper attacks at a local college where Ironside is lecturing lead him to conclude that one of his students – particularly the handful who are members of the school’s shooting club - is responsible. Ironside's team think they’re dealing with a madman, but the Chief senses a clever scheme lurking behind the seemingly-random shootings. Unlike the aforementioned Hawaii Five-O episode, Brenda Scott isn’t given much to work with here, just mostly standing around looking sullen and sporting an unattractive black wig. Instead, guest acting honors go to Pete Duel, who plays one of the student suspects and seems too clever by half. Other suspects include Ron Russell and Shelly Novack. It’s easy to spot the culprit but this is still an entertaining episode, thanks to the always-watchable Raymond Burr as the gruff Ironside.

The Streets of San Francisco
– 2.7 “Harem”
Rick Nelson, a looong way from his innocent Ozzie and Harriet days, is suitably ice-cold and remorseless as a former pop star turned Pied Piper-esque pimp who callously murders any of his runaway groupies-turned-call girls who get out of hand. The case really gets under the skin of veteran detective Mike Stone (the simultaenously avuncular and edgy Karl Malden). We've got quite a bevy of ‘70s beauties on hand here, from Kay Lenz, Battlestar Galactica's Laurette Spang and a returning Darlene Carr, as Det. Stone’s daughter (who oddly calls her dad by his first name "Mike" throughout). Ms. Carr is as cute as can be, and brings a welcome ray of wholesome sunshine to this rather sleazy but well-mounted episode. Also with Mr. Novak's Vince Howard pops up on the show (in one of nine times) as fellow SFPD cop, Charlie Johnson.

View attachment 146701 View attachment 146702 View attachment 146703 View attachment 146704 View attachment 146705 View attachment 146706 View attachment 146707 View attachment 146711
View attachment 146716 View attachment 146712

Leslie Nielsen guest stars as a veteran mountie badass and former pal of Constable Benton Fraser's (Paul Gross) father, who's being stalked by a 62-year-old but still fearsome William Smith, as a notorious cop killer and escaped con Geiger. Very enjoyable fish-out-of-water buddy cop show. In the first of four appearances on the series, Nielsen amusingly (and skillfully) treads the line between serious old school acting and post-Naked Gun poker-faced comedy. Also with David Marciano as Fraser's American pal on the Chicago P.D., Ray Vecchio.

Leave It to Beaver – 2.13 “Happy Weekend”
As mentioned before, Neal's great screencaps above got me to check this puppy out on YouTube. Funny, warm and sweet family comedy, liberally sprinkled with some cynical wit. Ward's attempt to pass on some of his happy childhood memories spent at a rustic mountain cabin with his sons (who initially would much rather watch a jungle potboiler at the movie theater and read comic books) doesn't quite go as planned.

At first I thought the pond that Ward and the boys went fishing in was the same as the Gilligan's Island lagoon. It sure looked like it. But doing some research, it appears that, although the early seasons of LITB were shot at the Republic (later CBS Studios) lot, the GI lagoon wasn't built until 1964. I'm sure many of you classic TV gurus are much more up on this kind of behind-the-scenes stuff than am I.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
1.22 “The Dental Receptionist”
Ozzie soon regrets a flirtatious moment shared with his dentist's new southern belle receptionist (played by Shirley Mitchell).

1.23 “The Speech”
Ozzie painstakingly rehearses for a speech at the Chamber of Commerce, after Thorny makes him nervous that his old high school speech outline is corny. Joseph Kearns makes the first of 16 appearances on the series).

1.24 “Safe Crackers”
While in Herb Dunkle's empty office handing in his tax return paperwork, Ozzie teaches Ricky how to crack a safe. Or so he thinks…

In the latter, Joseph Kearns returns as accountant Herb Dunkle. Also starring Bob Sweeney, who would go on to forge a formidable career as a TV director – including helming a whopping 80 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.
Jeff, I'm not sure what the difference between like and appreciate is but either way great write up as usual. Just finished the Jaime's shield episodes and it was nice to read your thoughts on it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Bionic Woman
2.10 “Jaime’s Shield”

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h17m58s436.png
Very interesting reviews and nice screen caps, Jeff! The Bionic Woman is a show that I don't have in my collection and really haven't thought about much since watching it first run (along with The Six Million Dollar Man), during my high school years. Your screen caps show that it already looks great on DVD, let alone what the new Blu upgrade would look like. Lindsay Wagner is certainly a fox and an appealing screen personality. Thank goodness she shows up in quite a few '70s shows!
Mr. Novak
1.15 “He Who Can, Does”
1.27 “Day in the Year”

Great reviews, Jeff! As you know, Edward Mulhare and Malachi Throne deliver two of my absolute favorite strong performances in Mr. Novak's truly superb season one! Just as you said, they are phenomenal, and not soon forgotten. James Franciscus delivers some of his best work in response to these two great guest star performances. And sad-eyed Jeanne Bal also gets a rare opportunity to play off of Edward Mulhare's wounded alcoholic with an unseen, terrible burden of suffering. Man, Mr. Novak is such a gem of a drama series!
Hawaii Five-O – 1.14 “Up Tight”

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h31m16s221.png
Thanks for the review and excellent screen caps of lovely Brenda Scott! I definitely prefer her as a natural brunette, but blonde is a nice change too! She also delivers another of my absolute favorite performances in Mr. Novak's season one, the unforgettable Fear is a Handful of Dust.
The Streets of San Francisco – 2.7 “Harem”

vlcsnap-2022-07-28-11h06m36s833.png
Nice to see Rick Nelson as a bad-guy scum. Too bad he didn't have the chance to try more change-of-pace acting roles and pursue his music career into old age. If it wasn't for the plane crash disaster, he might be playing Vegas today. Great screen caps too, Jeff! Streets of San Francisco would clearly support a Blu upgrade if CBS wanted to. Although among QM shows, I'd want The Fugitive on Blu first!
Jeff, thanks for the reminder. As a Canadian you'd think I'd have Due South on DVD in my collection! (I actually have very few '90s shows on disc) It lasted a surprisingly high 67 episodes over three seasons! Not sure if I'll track it down (now OOP), but it is available still. I know it can be streamed as well. Paul Gross did a good job, and Leslie Nielsen was memorable in both drama and comedy.
McCloud Season 1 Episode 1 Who Says You Can't Make Friends in New York City
It was nice to finally see the full episode.
Steve, did you buy the new VEI complete series DVD of McCloud? Were you watching it on the 'Four-in-One' disc in that collection? I have the new VEI complete series set, and liked the somewhat abused look of these circulated film prints. Nostalgic for me. I don't have the overseas R4 Madman S1 set which apparently had pristine new transfers of all four of the original 'Four-in-One' episodes, leading me to believe that Madman (ViaVision) had paid for these proprietary remastered transfers themselves which are not seen in the VEI set. OK with me, as the series' episodes going forward look superb, and as I said, the 'Four-in-One' transfers look good enough to me with vibrant and true colors. As you say, very nice to see them as first presented in 1970.

Admirably diverse selection of shows that you watch there, Steve!
Picked this book for a quarter at an estate sale today, but passed on the LP below. Sorry Medical Center fans!
9621C93F-8888-4041-A36A-BED18421789B.jpeg
"Rock's coolest supergroup" Wow! Although when I was 15, I would have loved to share some alone time in the dark with Susan Dey in a spooky haunted house, ha, ha. I would have also punched Danny Bonaduce in the face, however.
Alan, love to see all your collectible finds! Thanks! Chad Everett had the most perfect hair this side of Glen Campbell in the early '70s! Was he at least as good a singer as Shatner?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Continuing with my examination of the late James Caan's early work in TV...he got another pretty good opportunity in Dr. Kildare season two's The Mosaic (Jan. 31, 1963) W: Jerry McNeely, D: David Lowell Rich. Guest starring Tom Tryon, Barbara Barrie, James Caan and Carl Reindel.

Tom Tryon (The Cardinal, Longest Day, In Harm's Way) stars as an epidemiologist who tries to identify the infectious 'patient zero' among an outbreak of deadly hepatitis (serum, the blood-bourne variety, not airbourne) among Blair General Hospital's class of young med students and interns. The outbreak soon kills one of the students, and also leaves two interns very ill (James Caan and Barbara Barrie, who's still working as an actress today!). This episode presents a nice procedural as the obsessed epidemiologist assists Dr. Kildare (Richard Chamberlain) and Dr. Gillespie (Raymond Massey) in the then-manual process of contact tracing, as it was in 1962, laboriously examining the contact mosaic of suspected purveyors of the virus one-by-one in a systematic process of elimination. My screen caps from the season two WAC DVD set...
Kildare 33.JPG

Kildare 32.JPG

Kildare 35.JPG

Kildare 34.JPG

Kildare 39.JPG

Kildare 40.JPG

Kildare 42.JPG

Kildare 46.JPG

Kildare 47.JPG

Kildare 49.JPG

Kildare 52.JPG

Kildare 54.JPG

Kildare 53.JPG

Kildare 56.JPG

Kildare 59.JPG

Kildare 43.JPG

Kildare 44.JPG

Kildare 38.JPG

James Caan was certainly building his acting experience with better roles throughout 1963. The Mosaic is a fascinating time capsule about epidemiological contact tracing by manually drawn tables and flow charts, long before our current pandemic age with sophisticated cell phone apps doing the job. For anyone who loves the classic TV dramas of the first golden age, Dr. Kildare ranks in the upper echelon of the great B+W TV drama series.

Last edited:

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Steve, did you buy the new VEI complete series DVD of McCloud? Were you watching it on the 'Four-in-One' disc in that collection? I have the new VEI complete series set, and liked the somewhat abused look of these circulated film prints. Nostalgic for me. I don't have the overseas R4 Madman S1 set which apparently had pristine new transfers of all four of the original 'Four-in-One' episodes, leading me to believe that Madman (ViaVision) had paid for these proprietary remastered transfers themselves which are not seen in the VEI set. OK with me, as the series' episodes going forward look superb, and as I said, the 'Four-in-One' transfers look good enough to me with vibrant and true colors. As you say, very nice to see them as first presented in 1970.

I believe that Madman acquired the six Four-In-One McCloud episodes from tape backups from a British TV station. Details in this entry from the Classic TV History Blog:

https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/procrustes-comes-to-syndication/

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wagon Train
The Marie Dupree Story (1.25) Debra Paget, Nick Adams, Robert Lowery, Nicky Blair, Raymond Greenleaf, Sam McDaniel, Dorothy Provine. A southern belle (Paget) and her aging father (Greenleaf) are trying to live in the antebellum past as they are heading West to join family. Wiley Howard (Lowery), a scoundrel involved in several duels joins and finds himself flirting. Howard is not interested in marriage, but Antonio (Adams) is. Once again there is jealousy on this train.

A Man Called Horse (1.26) Ralph Meeker, Joan Taylor, Celia Lovsky, Michael Pate. Apparently the first filmed version of this story later dramatized on film starring Richard Harris. Both versions are told well. I actually appreciated Meeker's portrayal of Horse. Obviously the film version is a bit more graphic in showing Horse's initiation into the tribe. All in all, a good presentation.

The Sarah Drummond Story (1.27) Gene Evans, June Lockhart, William Talman, Lorna Thayer. Rape, questions concerning who the father is and blatant racism. Must have made for some interesting talk in early 1958. Excellent episode, but the ending concerning Archer (Talman) was a bit to TV-fied (unrealistic), still it gave us a happy ending as opposed to one where time would be required to change a lifetime of prejudice.

The Sally Potter Story (1.28) Vanessa Brown, Lyle Bettger, Martin Milner, Johnny Crawford, King Donovan, Brad Dexter, Jocelyn Brando. A flirtatious woman running away, hitches a ride to care for a sick child (Crawford) and creates problems. She catches the eye of an older man (Bettger) who is just looking for arm candy. She uses a younger man (Milner) to make the older, richer guy jealous. Thankfully, patience and an understanding of love clears the air and satisfies everyone.

Matlock
The Nurse (1.16) Julie Sommars (first appearance as Julie March ADA), Cristine Rose, Lise Cutter, Billy Zane, Laurie O'Brien, Jason Wingreen. A private duty nurse becomes accused of murdering her charge, who she claims was going to marry her. Fun episode as Ben chases after the evil family that is hiding many secrets.

The Convict (1.17) Larry Wilcox, Robert Pine, Robert Walden, Lee Purcell, Nick Cassavettes, Robin Thomas, David Lander, Lucille Meredith. Seven years ago, Ben put up a valiant defense that failed and his client, Lester Matthews (Wilcox) has been in jail. Lester is now ready to be paroled, he again finds himself the victim of an elaborate frame of a jailhouse inmate. Ben swallows his pride and asks Lester to trust him as he feels guilty about his original conviction. A rather intriguing set-up, even though the murderer is easily apparent.

The Court-Martial: Part 1, Part 2 ( 1.18, 1.19) Tony Becker, Georg Stanford Brown, Barry Corbin, Cliff De Young, Dana Elcar, Diane Franklin, Bruce French, Richard Green, Gregg Henry, Steve Kahan, Robert Mandan, Wendy Phillips, Tim Reid, Glynn Turman, Philip Bailey. A death on a military base where everyone except the accused seems to have an excellent reason to murder the deceased. Some big talent in this two part story. Always interesting to watch the little bits that Ben plays for comedy, sometimes to great effect on his interviewees.

The Paper Chase
The Man Who Would Be King (1.2) Don Porter, Stacy Nelkin, Charles Hallahan. Ford's dad (Porter) visits and makes life miserable for Ford. He (Porter) tries to intimidate Kingsfield and is appropriately schooled himself.

A Day In The Life Of … (1.3) Darleen Carr, Stanley DeSantis. Hart makes the mistake of asking Kingsfield a question. Kingsfield then gives Hart an assignment to research the question to find his own answer. While this is going on the other students are reaching a breaking point and doing immature things (eg. stealing Bell's property outline, not having outlines ready when time to study, getting kicked out of the library and being unable to research and a bicycle accident). Just general college craziness, remember.

Great Expectations (1.4) Danutu Wesley, Marshall Colt, Deborah Harmon, Vernon Weddle, Peggy Rea. Drowning under pressure and assignments, the students throw a big party that ends in mischief including a breaking and entering charge for Anderson. Anderson requests Hart for representation instead of the expected 3L.

Cheyenne
Border Showdown (1.4) Adele Mara, L. Q. Jones, Lisa Montell, Myron Healey, Richard Reeves. A friend of Cheyenne's is gunned down before him. Cheyenne promises the guilty man will be brought to justice. In that event, he and Smitty head to Mexico to track the gang leader Thompson (Healey) and bring him back to the US to be prosecuted. In order to accomplish this Cheyenne must inspire the citizens of Paso Alto.

The Outlander (1.5) Doris Dowling, Onslow Stevens, Leo Gordon, Dub Taylor. Cheyenne is riding and comes upon a sign claiming that Paradise Springs is a friendly place. He rides into town and beaten and hauled to the outskirts of town and told to leave. Well, this is Cheyenne, so he goes back into town and stirs up a hornets nest, ends up on trial and is found innocent. His judge Stevens) then has to arrest his number man (Gordon). Plenty of story in this 45 minute episode. A good one.

The Travelers (1.6) James Gleason, Diane Brewster, Robert Armstrong, Morris Ankrum, Gregory Walcott. Cheyenne is tasked by a dying Marshall to see that justice is done with a man (Gleason) accused of murdering a young man. The young man's father (Ankrum) is out to hang the culprit who confessed to rustling cattle but not murder. Cheyenne has to deal with crosses and double crosses, traveling across desert land with no water and belligerence at every turn until the truth is finally exposed (rather obvious).

A Man Called Shenandoah
The Riley Brand (1.23) Elisha Cook, Jr., Joanna Pettet, Warren Stevens, DeForest Kelley. Shenandoah ends up in a town where a man recognizes him as a man who left a saddle to be repaired over a year ago. Shenandoah accepts the saddle and clue and goes searching for the Riley land. He is met with suspicion by the hands but is accepted as a potential long lost brother of Julia Riley (Pettet). Did his search end? Of course not.

Muted Fife's, Muffled Drums (1.24) Norman Fell, Anne Helm. Finding a picture in some archives, Shenandoah is mistaken as a coward and brought up on charges of desertion. Could this be true, the prosecution promises an eyewitness.

Plunder (1.25) Pat Hingle, Paul Fix, Jan Shepard, Mark Allen. In his search for the identity of the woman in the locket, Shenandoah finds himself on the trail of a bank robber. Seems he is going to be accompanied by a lawman. Shenandoah has his doubts.

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer
No Pockets In A Shroud (1.30) Joan Taylor, King Calder, Dick Crockett. The past is hard to put behind you if you end up in a picture. Mike decides to investigate when the darkroom belonging to his girlfriend's brother is destroyed. The photos and negatives have been destroyed but Hammer has a rail dusted and unravels the mystery through fingerprints.

The Living Dead (1.31) Robert Vaughn, John Hoyt, Patricia Huston. Hammer is hired by a young lady who stands him up. He is then hired by the lady's husband (Vaughn) to find his wife. This involves Hammer in the case of a reclusive old lady who had money. Who is alive, who may be dead, is anyone telling the truth?

Old Folks At Home Blues (1.32) Ruta Lee, Arthur Batanides, Robert Clarke. Another missing person's case. A wife (Lee) is searching for her husband, a missing blues piano player. As always with Hammer, the trail leads to bodies.

Kung Fu
Night OF The Owls, Day Of The Doves (2.17) Barry Atwater, Ken Swofford, Anne Francis, Rayford Barnes, George Dzundza, Claire Torao. Caine protects a madam (Francis) and her bordello from a band of vigilantes (Swofford, Atwater) who want land that a former customer deeded to the ladies.

Crossties (2.18) Barry Sullivan, John Anderson, Harrison Ford, Denver Pyle, Andrew Robinson. Caine is injected into a war between a hate maddened detective (Sullivan) and an outlaw (Anderson) leading a gang of ex-farmers victimized by the railroad.

The Passion Of Chen Yi (2.19) Bethel Leslie, Robert Middleton, Marianna Hill, Soon-Tek Oh, Arch Johnson, Ivor Francis, Robert Cornthwaite, James Hong. Caine, delivering a fellow Shaolin from a gallant but foolish death for a woman, turns an old enemy into a friend.

Arrogant Dragon (2.20) Richard Loo, Clyde Kusatsu, Joycelyne Lew, James Hong, Yuki Shimado. For the sake of an unwed mother and her expected child, Caine champions an aging Tong leader who is under a sentence of death. The Tong leader and Caine share some ancestors.

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour
The Long Silence (1.25) Michael Rennie, Phyllis Thaxter, Jim McMullan, Natalie Trundy, Connie Gilchrist. A paralyzed woman (Thaxter) is terrified her husband (Rennie) will learn she is regaining her ability to move and possibly talk. Pretty good suspense.

An Out For Oscar (1.26) Henry Silva, Linda Christian, Larry Storch, John Marley, George Petrie, Myron Healey, Rayford Barnes, David White, Alan Napier. Interesting to see Larry Storch in this one since I basically remember him for F Troop. He still plays his role lightly, but with a bit of an edge. Nice to see this performance. Mousy bank teller (Storch) is a guest at a desert casino and falls for a hostess (Christian) who is a big time gold digger and part time girlfriend of Bill Grant (Silva) a con man. Interesting set up and conclusion.

Death And The Joyful Woman (1.27) Gilbert Roland, Laraine Day, Laura Devon, Tom Lowell, Don Galloway, Richard Bull, Andy Romano, Frank Overton. The secretary of a wine baron murders when her dream of marrying him is shattered. Early role of Don Galloway and Tom Lowell must have mustered out of Combat.

Last Seen Wearing Blue Jeans (1.28) Michael Wilding, Anna Lee, Katherine Crawford, Randy Boone, James Anderson, Russ Conway, Carlos Romero. A beautiful 17 year old wants to sleep in the back of her family station wagon but she is to tired to realize she got into the wrong car and ends up in a stolen car in Mexico waiting to be repurposed.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
the fbi season 4

Watched this past week
“The Maze” (Steve Ihnat/Simon Oakland)
16 “The Fraud” (Roger Perry/William Smithers)
14 “The Widow” (Lynda Day George/Glenn Corbett)
12 “The Flaw” (Barry Morse)
10 “The Intermediary” (Monte Markham)
9 “The Harvest” (Diane Baker)
8 “Breaktrough” (Peter Mark Richman)
7 “The Nightmare” (William Windom/Lee Meriwether/Bruce Dern)

Find my favorite ones

“The Flaw” (Barry Morse) (espionage)
Picture Inspector Gerard as a deaf Soviet killer and operative! Nuff said!
14 “The Widow” (Lynda Day George/Glenn Corbett) (murder)
Lynda Day George as a serial lover!

good
“The Intermediary” (Monte Markham) (jewelry theft)
8 “Breaktrough” (Peter Mark Richman) (the mob)
7 “The Nightmare” (William Windom/Lee Meriwether/Bruce Dern) (bank money theft)

Footnotes
Barry Morse plays soviet agent Glen Parmenter in “The Flaw” from The FBI and, in 1972, he will play UK ministry man Mr Parminter in The Adventurer (ITC), starring Gene Barry. Parmenter and Parminter: what a coincidence, isn’t it?

morse.png

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
This episode was from the VEI set. Can't remember what the disc was called but it was the one hour version and not the episode where they combined two episodes into one 1.5 hour episode. The video wasn't perfect but very good. I also didn't feel like anything got taken away which sometimes happens with these "video restorations" leaving waxy looking flesh tones and hyper etched images that can be hard to look at. I've heard some people mention too much digital noise reduction (DNR) as a culprit but I'm no expert.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Week in review
My favorite episode last week was My Three Sons

Monday
Gomer Pyle Season 2 Episode 15 Gomer Pyle, P.O.W.

Perry Mason Season 1 Episode 30 The Case of the Screaming Woman

1659729431067.png

Tuesday
Growing Pains Season 1 Episode 5 Superdad

Best episode of the show so far

Eureka Season 1 Episode 5 Invincible

Wednesday
My Three Sons Season 1 Episode 4 Countdown

A telecast of a countdown to a 1957 satellite launch provides the backdrop for a Monday morning in the Douglas household. Everyone seems to be unusually tired.

Written by David Duncan, Countdown is one of the most creative episodes of a television show I've ever watched. Would love to go into the details of this outstanding episode but wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who may want to look it up. Here are the broad strokes. Everyone sleeps in on Monday which makes them late for work and school. Chip turns the TV to a countdown of a space launch for a new satellite. From that point on complete chaos ensues with everyone rushing to get ready and the satellite launch voice over mirroring the chaos. The hook at the end was equally creative and I never saw it coming. Paul Frees of the Rankin/Bass Holiday specials handled the voice over.

The first two seasons of this underrated show have excellent picture quality and are still available on DVD at quite reasonable prices and well worth a look.

1659708644470.png

1659712141290.png

1659712173568.png

Vegas (2012) Season 1 Episode 1 Pilot

Thursday
As Time Goes By Season 1 Episode 2 Getting to Know You-Again

Really enjoy this show

Bionic Woman Season 2 Episode 11 Jaime's Shield Part 2

1659729780824.png

Friday
The Doris Day Show Season 1 Episode 20 Love Thy Neighbor

Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 2 Episode 13 Armageddon game