What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (22 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Of course, it wouldn't be a Gunsmoke episode without yet another dirty, weaselly family of crumbums (this time including Michael Strong and an unrecognizable William Devane), who make the mistake of trying to ambush the two marshals on the return trip.
Great stuff all around, Jeff! The literary quality of your reviews reminds us yet again that you are a professional English teacher, of the kind that any student would be grateful for! As are we here! I just hope my own disjointed, run-together sentence construction, and the awful deadend totality found in my incomprehensible meanderings don't assault your sensibilities too much, ha, ha!
You know, the more of this show I watch, the more I’m convinced that John Russell’s implacable death stare might just surpass that of his closest rivals in lean, mean badassery: Richard Boone as Paladin and Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain.

846d38abdb561e7d8a3726ca195a6338--tv-westerns-western-movies.jpg
Ain't that the truth! John Russell had a scary intensity about him. I finally completed my series' sets of Lawman on DVD with my purchase of season four last summer. 39 action-packed episodes every season! Glad to finally have it all, and the totality of every black and white WB and MGM Western TV series that Warner Archive has released. $$$$, yikes!
Lawman 15.JPG

Lawman 12.JPG

12 O’Clock High – 1.9 “Appointment at Liege”
General Savage (brooding, beetle-browed Robert Lansing), prepping for a risky bombing raid, has misgivings about one of his squadron leaders, Major Gus Denver (Gary Lockwood), who seems rarin’ to go on the surface, but is in reality harboring a death wish, wracked with guilt and anguish after his previous squad was wiped out by German artillery while he was on temporary duty Stateside. The stunning Nancy Kovack co-stars as a WAC lieutenant who falls for the troubled young pilot. Unfortunately, most of Ms. Kovack’s scenes seem to have been hacked out of the 46 minute syndicated cut print that’s on YouTube, leaving their characters' burgeoning relationship feeling rather truncated.

Otherwise, this is a powerful slice of WWII military drama, as well as an early and welcome televisual focus on the PTSD suffered by many of the men and women who served. Hazel Court, no slouch in the looks department herself, shows up briefly, in her second of four appearances, as Gen. Savage’s English widow girlfriend. After watching this one, I sampled a few scenes from the second and third color seasons, in which Paul Burke replaced an unjustly fired Lansing as series’ lead. I like Burke well enough in other things, but he sadly hasn’t a 10th of the charisma of the compellingly intense Lansing. I’ll happily watch more of the black-and-white, Lansing-led S1 one, though…just wish we had access to an official – and uncut – DVD release.

Screenshot (217).png
That's a fine episode isn't it? Very impressed with Gary Lockwood's performance. I love that foreboding prelude, where Lockwood's Major Denver drives recklessly through the night in a torrential rainstorm, frightening the sergeant beside him and telling him that he's "...immortal"...I love your description of a "beetle browed" Lansing, ha, ha!
Honey West – 1.13 “The Gray Lady”
A snappy script (courtesy of Columbo creators Richard Levinson and William Link) and clever editing make this one a heck of a lot of fun. When a debonair jewel thief (Cesare Danova) pulls one over on glamorous private eye Honey West (Anne Francis) and her right-hand man, Sam (John Ericson), she’s determined to nab him during his next caper, to steal a priceless necklace called "the Gray Lady," belonging to a spoiled socialite (Pat Collins). Nancy Kovack has a brief bit at the beginning, doing her best Zsa Zsa Gabor impression as Honey and Sam’s European film star client. Again, the lack of Kovack is no biggie, as voluptuous Anne Francis (and her adorable beauty mark) brings the va-va-voom, holding center stage in the story with elegant poise, scaling down the outside of a high-rise hotel in a catsuit and judo flipping baddies all over the place. Also with smug, smirking Kevin McCarthy (up to no good, per usual) and a cameo appearance by Bert Parks (as himself).
I enjoy this series too much, and am fond of this episode...I took these screen caps a few years ago...Nancy Kovack is stunning, as is Anne Francis too...and like yourself, I particularly enjoy Kevin McCarthy's many, many slick and evil bad guys...
A fare 74.JPG

A fare 76.JPG

A fare 79.JPG

A fare 69.JPG

A fare 78.JPG

I really love this typical 'Bastard' role by Kevin McCarthy in an episode of Rod Taylor's Bearcats! (1971)...
A fare 27.JPG

A fare 50.JPG

A fare 62.JPG

A fare 53.JPG

A fare 66.JPG

Star Trek: TOS – 2.19 “A Private Little War”
This second season episode is easily one of most famous roles in Ms. Kovack’s career. She plays Nona, ambitious witch-woman wife of peaceful tribal leader
My God, I can tell you just what an effect her appearance in Star Trek had on me as an 11 year old boy...inducing a hormonal delirium in my pre-pubescent and witless self...
Bronk – 1.18 “Long Time Dying”
Jack Palance is surprisingly effective as cerebral, pipe-smoking Lt. Alex Bronkov, a police detective solving crimes in Ocean City, California, in this one-season wonder,
Thanks Jeff, I didn't know that any of Bronk was available on YT! That's yet another 1970s TV cop show that still waits on my WAC want list...along with an '80s selection, all of Spenser: For Hire, that you speak highly of...
Cannon – 5.23 “Blood Lines”
Ms. Kovack ended her acting career early in 1976 with this middling episode of the reliably entertaining Quinn-Martin crime drama, starring the great William Conrad (looking increasingly – and worringly - rotund here, near the end of the series’ run)
Yes, good ol' William Conrad seemed to have really let himself go by this point...he didn't give a damn that one of his near-future long running series was titled Jake and the Fatman, just cash the cheque and hire a personal chef...he really was the 'Gourmand' in real life, living well but looking like hell...just my style these days, ha, ha!

I can never forget his work in John Wayne's 1956 Genghis Khan epic, The Conqueror...
1642099907564.png

1642099964618.png

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
12 O’Clock High – 1.9 “Appointment at Liege”
General Savage (brooding, beetle-browed Robert Lansing), prepping for a risky bombing raid, has misgivings about one of his squadron leaders, Major Gus Denver (Gary Lockwood), who seems rarin’ to go on the surface, but is in reality harboring a death wish, wracked with guilt and anguish after his previous squad was wiped out by German artillery while he was on temporary duty Stateside. The stunning Nancy Kovack co-stars as a WAC lieutenant who falls for the troubled young pilot. Unfortunately, most of Ms. Kovack’s scenes seem to have been hacked out of the 46 minute syndicated cut print that’s on YouTube, leaving their characters' burgeoning relationship feeling rather truncated.

Otherwise, this is a powerful slice of WWII military drama, as well as an early and welcome televisual focus on the PTSD suffered by many of the men and women who served. Hazel Court, no slouch in the looks department herself, shows up briefly, in her second of four appearances, as Gen. Savage’s English widow girlfriend. After watching this one, I sampled a few scenes from the second and third color seasons, in which Paul Burke replaced an unjustly fired Lansing as series’ lead. I like Burke well enough in other things, but he sadly hasn’t a 10th of the charisma of the compellingly intense Lansing. I’ll happily watch more of the black-and-white, Lansing-led S1 one, though…just wish we had access to an official – and uncut – DVD release.

I Dream of Jeannie – 1.9 “The Moving Finger”
Tony (Larry Hagman) is sent to Hollywood as an advisor on a high-concept sci-fi movie, starring sultry movie star Rita Mitchell (Kovack). A jealous Jeannie, posing as Tony’s secretary and worried about his going on a date with the six-times-married Rita, tries to compete for his affections by becoming a movie star herself...even getting as far as filming a screen test with manly hunk actor Jason Huberts ("Marlboro Man" David McLean, formerly of Tate). But she is shocked to discover that a genie's likeness apparently can’t be captured on film. Not much of Ms. Kovack here, as most of the focus is on the delectable Barbara Eden - compensation enough, I'd wager. Woodrow Parfrey is amusing as a producer who has the hots for Jeannie.

Honey West
– 1.13 “The Gray Lady”
A snappy script (courtesy of Columbo creators Richard Levinson and William Link) and clever editing make this one a heck of a lot of fun. When a debonair jewel thief (Cesare Danova) pulls one over on glamorous private eye Honey West (Anne Francis) and her right-hand man, Sam (John Ericson), she’s determined to nab him during his next caper, to steal a priceless necklace called "the Gray Lady," belonging to a spoiled socialite (Pat Collins). Nancy Kovack has a brief bit at the beginning, doing her best Zsa Zsa Gabor impression as Honey and Sam’s European film star client. Again, the lack of Kovack is no biggie, as voluptuous Anne Francis (and her adorable beauty mark) brings the va-va-voom, holding center stage in the story with elegant poise, scaling down the outside of a high-rise hotel in a catsuit and judo flipping baddies all over the place. Also with smug, smirking Kevin McCarthy (up to no good, per usual) and a cameo appearance by Bert Parks (as himself).

Star Trek: TOS – 2.19 “A Private Little War”
This second season episode is easily one of most famous roles in Ms. Kovack’s career. She plays Nona, ambitious witch-woman wife of peaceful tribal leader (and Captain Kirk’s old friend), Tyree (Michael Witney). Kirk – who had spent time on the planet 13 years before and earmarked it as a veritable Eden, peaceful and idyllic, and not to be tampered with - is dismayed to find that Klingon interference, arming a rival tribe with flintlock rifles, has upset the delicate balance of power on the plant. Kirk must grudgingly violate the Prime Directive and arm Tyree’s people, in order to prevent a one-sided slaughter. Our main Enterprise trio come in for some serious punishment in this one: Spock is shot in the back during the pre-credits sequence; later, Kirk is attacked and mauled by a one-horned ape-like monster called a mugato, soon to die of from its poisoned bite until he is cured by Nona (who in return, wants the Captain to give her “knowledge of the stars”); and Bones gets winged in a climactic skirmish. Kovack vamps it up magnificently here, seductively plotting, scheming and trying to claw - and kiss - her way to the top, her splendid figure barely contained by yet another super sexy William Theiss costume creation. Gene Roddenberry’s script is notable for keeping the politics messy and the resolution realistically downbeat. Ned Romero turns up as a Klingon interloper.

Bronk – 1.18 “Long Time Dying”
Jack Palance is surprisingly effective as cerebral, pipe-smoking Lt. Alex Bronkov, a police detective solving crimes in Ocean City, California, in this one-season wonder, yet another in the litany of cool cop shows that proliferated the airwaves in the 1970s. In this episode, a mentally disturbed young woman (Britt Lind, believably deranged) is systematically killing the men she holds responsible for sending her brother to prison…and Bronk is on the hit list. Lloyd Bochner is on hand as the girl’s shifty shrink. In her next-to-last screen work, Nancy Kovack plays a wealthy neighbor who witnessed the killer leaving the scene of the first murder, and who gives Bronk the full court press. Kovack, just shy of 41-years-old here but still looking great, has fun making the moves on a rather bemused Palance.

Despite his gentle demeanor here, the 6’3”, hulking Palance (reputed to be one of the honest-to-God toughest men in Hollywood, along with Robert Mitchum, Lawrence Tierney and Broderick Crawford) remains one scary-looking mo-fo, his scarred face, with its slightly-crazed rictus grin, enough to theoretically make any crook wet themselves in fear. This is my first sampling of this series, and I liked it enough to add the Warner Archive Complete Series DVD set to my “buy soon” list. An interesting sidenote: Carroll O'Connor - yes, Archie Bunker himself - co-created this series, and also co-wrote the pilot movie.

The above episode is available to view on YouTube, at 49 minutes seemingly complete, or very close:

Cannon – 5.23 “Blood Lines”
Ms. Kovack ended her acting career early in 1976 with this middling episode of the reliably entertaining Quinn-Martin crime drama, starring the great William Conrad (looking increasingly – and worringly - rotund here, near the end of the series’ run) as ace P.I. Frank Cannon. Cannon is hired by an autocratic Mexican-American tycoon (Titos Vandis) to investigate the apparent suicide of his son (Robert Hays), who took a drunken dive off a cliff down in Acapulco. Kovack plays the dead man’s estranged wife, a rather unsympathetic, self-centered actress who was with her husband the night of his death. An OK plot, nothing special, and not much action to speak of…but even a so-so episode of Cannon remains watchable meat-and-potatoes fare, thanks to Conrad’s gruff presence. Also featuring Robert Drivas, Pepe Serna and Frank Aletter.

Jeff, thanks for the Nancy Kovack photos. I always thought she should have been a bigger star than she was. She had that perfect 1960's glamour look. Zubin Mehta is one lucky conductor!

As to Paul Burke as Col. Gallagher in 12 O'Clock High, I liked him pretty well even though I preferred Lansing/Savage. The second season is actually in black and white. One episode I remember well from the second season called "The Hotshot" featured Warren Oates as a hot dog P51 squadron commander who butts heads with Gallagher after a B-17 accidentally shoots down one of his pilots. You should check that one out. There is also one from season 2 called "The Slaughter Pen" that is basically the plot of "Return of the Jedi" (the Moon of Endor plot).

Also, Bronk sounds interesting. I remember when it was on and I don't think I ever watched it.

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
Great stuff all around, Jeff! The literary quality of your reviews reminds us yet again that you are a professional English teacher, of the kind that any student would be grateful for! As are we here! I just hope my own disjointed, run-together sentence construction, and the awful deadend totality found in my incomprehensible meanderings don't assault your sensibilities too much, ha, ha!

Ain't that the truth! John Russell had a scary intensity about him. I finally completed my series' sets of Lawman on DVD with my purchase of season four last summer. 39 action-packed episodes every season! Glad to finally have it all, and the totality of every black and white WB and MGM Western TV series that Warner Archive has released. $$$$, yikes!

That's a fine episode isn't it? Very impressed with Gary Lockwood's performance. I love that foreboding prelude, where Lockwood's Major Denver drives recklessly through the night in a torrential rainstorm, frightening the sergeant beside him and telling him that he's "...immortal"...I love your description of a "beetle browed" Lansing, ha, ha!

I enjoy this series too much, and am fond of this episode...I took these screen caps a few years ago...Nancy Kovack is stunning, as is Anne Francis too...and like yourself, I particularly enjoy Kevin McCarthy's many, many slick and evil bad guys...

I really love this typical 'Bastard' role by Kevin McCarthy in an episode of Rod Taylor's Bearcats! (1971)...

My God, I can tell you just what an effect her appearance in Star Trek had on me as an 11 year old boy...inducing a hormonal delirium in my pre-pubescent and witless self...

Thanks Jeff, I didn't know that any of Bronk was available on YT! That's yet another 1970s TV cop show that still waits on my WAC want list...along with an '80s selection, all of Spenser: For Hire, that you speak highly of...

Yes, good ol' William Conrad seemed to have really let himself go by this point...he didn't give a damn that one of his near-future long running series was titled Jake and the Fatman, just cash the cheque and hire a personal chef...he really was the 'Gourmand' in real life, living well but looking like hell...just my style these days, ha, ha!

I can never forget his work in John Wayne's 1956 Genghis Khan epic, The Conqueror...
Takin' up all the damn bandwidth with these goddamn caps!!!
icon_e_angry.gif

On a serious note for anyone who is unfamiliar with Lawman here’s a few sample episodes to check out. It ran four seasons from 1958-1962 and can be purchased here and here. It’s not cheap because it’s Warner.

Randall yes of course Bronk (created and written by Carroll O'Connor), is on YouTube. Here’s the first episode Open Contract (1975) with guest star Michael Parks! Note the theme song, a Kojak rip.

Finally, who doesn’t love Honey West?!

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan
I’m in the same boat with the “deadend totality”, guess that’s one reason I can often relate to your reviews Randall! :)

As far as Honey West goes, this book depicts a few situations too risque for TV.

Attachments

• 3FAFA28F-550F-442F-8C85-EE81C85E5AB2.jpeg
    3FAFA28F-550F-442F-8C85-EE81C85E5AB2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hamilton Book has a great deal on the long OOP TMG (aka Shout!) release of Peter Gunn - Complete series on DVD for $24.99 + shipping/tax:

This is the one I own and it's quite good. Mine came with a music CD - not mentioned on the listing though so that could be a crap shoot.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Super Jeff!! I can see much time and effort went into this post.
Thanks, Neal! Despite my best efforts, I see a bunch of typos and mistakes still crept in...d'oh! That's what I get for posting after 1 a.m.

View attachment 124898
Appreciate the kind words and excellent and illustrative screencaps, Randall! Agreed on all points - except the "deadend totality" bit...your reviews are always terrific, informative and well-written. No need for me to ever have to break out the red pencil. ;)

Yes, Kevin McCarthy is at his most dastardly rat bastardly in that very fun Bearcats! episode you highlighted. Thanks also for mentioning that pre-credits sequence with Gary Lockwood in "Appointment at Liege," too... his fine performance here was something I unfortunately neglected to cover. Watching his work here made me want to dig back into The Lieutenant soon. And I can well imagine the hormonal shock to the system your pre-teen self experienced when witnessing Nancy Kovack's Star Trek appearance. Rowr!

nona-kirk-star-trek-a-private-little-war.jpg

Jeff, thanks for the Nancy Kovack photos. I always thought she should have been a bigger star than she was. She had that perfect 1960's glamour look. Zubin Mehta is one lucky conductor!
Oh, yes...Mr. Mehta has to be one of the luckiest conductors out there. Nice to see that both he and Ms. Kovack are still together and going strong, well into their 80s.

As to Paul Burke as Col. Gallagher in 12 O'Clock High, I liked him pretty well even though I preferred Lansing/Savage. The second season is actually in black and white. One episode I remember well from the second season called "The Hotshot" featured Warren Oates as a hot dog P51 squadron commander who butts heads with Gallagher after a B-17 accidentally shoots down one of his pilots. You should check that one out. There is also one from season 2 called "The Slaughter Pen" that is basically the plot of "Return of the Jedi" (the Moon of Endor plot).
Thanks for the correction about S2 of 12 O'Clock High also being in black-and-white, David! I'll try and take a look at those two Paul Burke episodes you recommended sometime.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Been watching some episodes of the mid seventies Sid and Marty Kofft series, Far Out Space Nuts. My stars! Bob Denver is a comic genius. And Chuck McCann, IMHO, the man can take a pie in the face, even in the zero gravity of space, better than any other man can. Today's kids don't appreciate humor like this. No. They'd just start picking apart the special effects, the music, the suits. There's something to be said for suspension of disbelief.

--jthree

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
"living well but looking like hell" Hahahahahaha. You got me in hysterics again Randall.
Flashed me right back to good old Begley body.
icon_e_lol2.gif

_Begley_Body.jpg

Thanks, Neal! Despite my best efforts, I see a bunch of typos and mistakes still crept in...d'oh! That's what I get for posting after 1 a.m.
And I can well imagine the hormonal shock to the system your pre-teen self experienced when witnessing Nancy Kovack's Star Trek appearance. Rowr!
nona-kirk-star-trek-a-private-little-war.jpg

Oh, yes...Mr. Mehta has to be one of the luckiest conductors out there. Nice to see that both he and Ms. Kovack are still together and going strong, well into their 80s.
Jeff I think Ms. Kovack might have looked better as a Brunette than as a Blonde which I believe is a rarity. Shame on me cause I honestly didn't connect her to Nona until your post today.

Hamilton Book has a great deal on the long OOP TMG (aka Shout!) release of Peter Gunn - Complete series on DVD for $24.99 + shipping/tax:

This is the one I own and it's quite good. Mine came with a music CD - not mentioned on the listing though so that could be a crap shoot.
Howie, thanks. That price seems too good to be true. Have you ordered from these folks before? I'm suspicious.

Been watching some episodes of the mid seventies Sid and Marty Kofft series, Far Out Space Nuts. My stars! Bob Denver is a comic genius. And Chuck McCann, IMHO, the man can take a pie in the face, even in the zero gravity of space, better than any other man can. Today's kids don't appreciate humor like this. No. They'd just start picking apart the special effects, the music, the suits. There's something to be said for suspension of disbelief.

--jthree
Wow James never heard of Far Out Space Nuts until this very moment!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Takin' up all the damn bandwidth with these goddamn caps!!! View attachment 124906

On a serious note for anyone who is unfamiliar with Lawman here’s a few sample episodes to check out. It ran four seasons from 1958-1962 and can be purchased here and here. It’s not cheap because it’s Warner.

Randall yes of course Bronk (created and written by Carroll O'Connor), is on YouTube. Here’s the first episode Open Contract (1975) with guest star Michael Parks! Note the theme song, a Kojak rip.

Finally, who doesn’t love Honey West?!

Thanks Neal (you have the most amazing and hilarious emojis!), great to know that Lawman is available on DM. I guess a lot of stuff can be found on a French based streaming site that (presently, at least) can't be seen on YT. Although there's a LOT of very surprising stuff on archive.org as Jeff pointed out just recently. I have most of anything that I'd ever want on disc already (just received the VEI McCloud complete series set, and a big Kino-Lorber order), but for other vintage TV fans, these sites are a Godsend.
I’m in the same boat with the “deadend totality”, guess that’s one reason I can often relate to your reviews Randall! :)

As far as Honey West goes, this book depicts a few situations too risque for TV.
Thanks Alan! I very much enjoy your posts! Often fascinating and insightful with your personal anecdotes! You have made a positive contribution here, and HTF is all the better for it. That Honey West novelization sounds like hot stuff! As for "deadend totality", I think I was going for some metaphor regarding us keeping our love of vintage TV alive, 40, 50, 60, 70 years later...ironic, as the network producers and commercial sponsors of those olden days considered this stuff to be very perishable, and ultimately, forgettable...Barbarians!
Thanks also for mentioning that pre-credits sequence with Gary Lockwood in "Appointment at Liege," too... his fine performance here was something I unfortunately neglected to cover. Watching his work here made me want to dig back into The Lieutenant soon.
Thanks Jeff for highlighting this fine episode of 12 O'clock High. You know, I was recently thinking the same thing about Gary Lockwood during this 1963-65 period. In addition to this, he's guest star in another two episodes of 12 O'clock High, returning in S1 as Major Denver in V For Vendetta, and again in S2 as a different character in The Idolator...and he's in one of the all-time great action episodes of Combat!, season three's Operation Fly Trap...and then you have him in one of the all-time great action episodes of Gunsmoke, the season eleven two-parter The Raid...I've been thinking of giving The Lieutenant another run-through as well...and revisit the second Star Trek pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before...he's also seen in WAC's recently released Blu of It Happened at the Worlds' Fair, and Kitten With a Whip (hubba, hubba, Ann-Margaret)...I have his even earlier work on Follow the Sun, Saints and Sinners, Kraft Suspense Theatre and Lloyd Bridges Show from alternative sources, and some of his even earlier stuff (like Bronco S2's Bodyguard as Gary Yurosek), Perry Mason (2 eps.), etc., as well as KL's nice Blu of The Magic Sword (a childhood fave, with Anne Helm as the Princess, hubba, hubba)...

Gary Lockwood is 84 now, soon to be 85 in February. I sure hope he's in good health and happiness!

"living well but looking like hell" Hahahahahaha. You got me in hysterics again Randall.
Flashed me right back to good old Begley body.
icon_e_lol2.gif
icon_e_lol2.gif

_Begley_Body.jpg
He who shall not be named! Ha, ha! Great actor that he always was, horrifying old Ed Begley still haunts my nightmares a little bit, even when he's a good guy (as in The Fugitive), I'm still suspicious (Sweet Bird of Youth!)...and that screen cap from Dr. Kildare S2, has pretty Linda Evans and "sock-it-to-me" girl Judy Carne dreading the horror to come...a sponge bath for this monster!, Ha, ha...
Howie, thanks. That price seems too good to be true. Have you ordered from these folks before? I'm suspicious.
Neal, I used to order a lot of books from Hamilton many years ago when I lived stateside. Now that I'm back in Canada, they don't ship here. But Hamilton Booksellers have been in business for over 40 years. Good dealer.

That is a great bargain for the complete Peter Gunn series! Created by Blake Edwards, and that great Henry Mancini music! Anybody interested should jump on that set while they can. I paid full freight ($85) years ago. BTW, thanks to Jeff for highlighting Craig Stevens' ITC series Man of the World, the nice Network R2 DVD set of which I also got last summer!
Peter Gunn 1.JPG

Peter Gunn 29.JPG

Peter Gunn 31.JPG

Peter Gunn 39.JPG
Peter Gunn 11.JPG

Peter Gunn 12.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

That Honey West novelization sounds like hot stuff!

Good stuff, guys! That Honey West paperback is actually a reprint with Anne Francis put on the cover to tie it in to the 1965-66 TV series, which is likely why it's spicier than the TV version. Girl on the Prowl was the fifth Honey West novel, and was first published in 1959. Here's some more info on the novel series, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The Honey West character was created by Gloria and Forrest E. "Skip" Fickling under the pseudonym "G.G. Fickling" in the late 1950s.

Forrest Fickling had been a United States Army Air Forces Air Gunner during World War II; he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve after the war, and as a member of that service was called back to active duty during the Korean War. The G.G. represented the initials of his wife, Gloria Gautraud, whom he had married in 1949. The initials were used so the sex of the author would remain vague. Though Gloria said that most of the writing was done by Forrest, he said her ideas helped make the female character more plausible and gave her a good dress sense. Gloria had been an assistant fashion editor at Look magazine and a fashion writer for Women's Wear Daily. Forrest told the Los Angeles Times, "I first thought of Marilyn Monroe, and then I thought of [fictional detective] Mike Hammer and decided to put the two together... We thought the most used name for someone you really like is Honey. And she lives in the West, so there was her name."

There were 8 Honey West novels published between 1957-1961, a 9th in 1964, and two more in the early '70s. I haven't read any of them, but would like to. From a quick sampling of the ones available on Kindle, they seem like fun reads.

God, I love the old vintage paperback covers from the '50s and '60s!

1642159127208.jpeg

510m9-Pd5YL._SX296_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

honey-west-gg-fickling-vintage_1_e510e3d3da84ca91e832881b3ecf7b9a.jpg

You know, I was recently thinking the same thing about Gary Lockwood during this 1963-65 period. In addition to this, he's guest star in another two episodes of 12 O'clock High, returning in S1 as Major Denver in V For Vendetta, and again in S2 as a different character in The Idolator...and he's in one of the all-time great action episodes of Combat!, season three's Operation Fly Trap...and then you have him in one of the all-time great action episodes of Gunsmoke, the season eleven two-parter The Raid...I've been thinking of giving The Lieutenant another run-through as well...and revisit the second Star Trek pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before...he's also seen in WAC's recently released Blu of It Happened at the Worlds' Fair, and Kitten With a Whip (hubba, hubba, Ann-Margaret)...I have his even earlier work on Follow the Sun, Saints and Sinners, Kraft Suspense Theatre and Lloyd Bridges Show from alternative sources, and some of his even earlier stuff (like Bronco S2's Bodyguard as Gary Yurosek), Perry Mason (2 eps.), etc., as well as KL's nice Blu of The Magic Sword (a childhood fave, with Anne Helm as the Princess, hubba, hubba)...

Gary Lockwood is 84 now, soon to be 85 in February. I sure hope he's in good health and happiness!
Thanks for the further info on Gary Lockwood's TV and film roles, Randall! I'll definitely check out his return as Maj. Gus Denver in that later S1 episode of 12 O'Clock High soon. He was indeed a fine actor, yet another in the long list of those who should've had bigger careers.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I had heard about it all right. I had seen it in the past, but I thought I might give it another go. Read some of the other criticisms on the IMDB page, and they're right about the series. But, by gum! we weren't so picky back then about our entertainment. We took our Hello Larry's, our Bob Denver's, our Far Out Space Nuts, and we enjoyed them.

--jthree

Last edited:

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Neal (you have the most amazing and hilarious emojis!), great to know that Lawman is available on DM. I guess a lot of stuff can be found on a French based streaming site that (presently, at least) can't be seen on YT. Although there's a LOT of very surprising stuff on archive.org as Jeff pointed out just recently. I have most of anything that I'd ever want on disc already (just received the VEI McCloud complete series set, and a big Kino-Lorber order), but for other vintage TV fans, these sites are a Godsend.
Thanks Randall. Seriously? The more time I spend on YT the more I realize there's perhaps a hundred series I'd like to have on DVD. But I realize most will never come to fruition. Can't believe what Jeff found on Archive! Hope you enjoy your new VEI McCloud!
He who shall not be named! Ha, ha! Great actor that he always was, horrifying old Ed Begley still haunts my nightmares a little bit, even when he's a good guy (as in The Fugitive), I'm still suspicious (Sweet Bird of Youth!)...and that screen cap from Dr. Kildare S2, has pretty Linda Evans and "sock-it-to-me" girl Judy Carne dreading the horror to come...a sponge bath for this monster!, Ha, ha...
Hahahhaha, don't get me started again with hairy Begley monster sponge bath body!!
Neal, I used to order a lot of books from Hamilton many years ago when I lived stateside. Now that I'm back in Canada, they don't ship here. But Hamilton Booksellers have been in business for over 40 years. Good dealer.

That is a great bargain for the complete Peter Gunn series! Created by Blake Edwards, and that great Henry Mancini music! Anybody interested should jump on that set while they can. I paid full freight ($85) years ago. BTW, thanks to Jeff for highlighting Craig Stevens' ITC series Man of the World, the nice Network R2 DVD set of which I also got last summer!
Thanks for the endorsement. I ordered it moments after you made this post to give to a good friend who will soon be getting out of the hospital.
Jerry_small.gif

Oh, I had heard about it all right. I had seen it in the past, but I thought I might give it another go. Read some of the other criticisms on the IMDB page, and they're all right about the series. But, by gum! we weren't so picky back then, about our entertainment. We took our Hello Larry's, our Bob Denver's, our Far Out Space Nuts, and we enjoyed them.

--jthree
Agreed. Have you a link for any type of decent quality episodes cause the ones I see on YouTube look like a storm in zero visibility? Thanks jthree (love that nick btw)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
T

Agreed. Have you a link for any type of decent quality episodes cause the ones I see on YouTube look like a storm in zero visibility? Thanks jthree (love that nick btw)
Thanks Randall. Seriously? The more time I spend on YT the more I realize there's perhaps a hundred series I'd like to have on DVD. But I realize most will never come to fruition. Can't believe what Jeff found on Archive! Hope you enjoy your new VEI McCloud!

Hahahhaha, don't get me started again with hairy Begley monster sponge bath body!!

Thanks for the endorsement. I ordered it moments after you made this post to give to a good friend who will soon be getting out of the hospital.

Afraid I don't. My copies are from old videotapes, and the quality isn't so good. So I've had to make allowances. Going back to my rant. Why in my day, we had to walk through six feet of snow in the early Saturday Morning to get back in time to watch the NBC, CBS, and ABC cartoons. And we liked 'em. We weren't so fussy back then. As along as the cartoons were bright and colorful, we enjoyed 'em. As for reusing old footage, we took what we got, and we were thankful. Today's millennials, so spoiled with all their choices. Intenet, Blu Ray, streaming, how do they find the time to enjoy anything. . . . . . ...
jthree

Charles 22

Second Unit
Real Name
Roy
Flashed me right back to good old Begley body. View attachment 124912

View attachment 124913

Jeff I think Ms. Kovack might have looked better as a Brunette than as a Blonde which I believe is a rarity. Shame on me cause I honestly didn't connect her to Nona until your post today.

Wow, having Linda Evens as your nurse, you can't beat that.

Charles 22

Second Unit
Real Name
Roy
Good stuff, guys! That Honey West paperback is actually a reprint with Anne Francis put on the cover to tie it in to the 1965-66 TV series, which is likely why it's spicier than the TV version. Girl on the Prowl was the fifth Honey West novel, and was first published in 1959. Here's some more info on the novel series, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The Honey West character was created by Gloria and Forrest E. "Skip" Fickling under the pseudonym "G.G. Fickling" in the late 1950s.

Forrest Fickling had been a United States Army Air Forces Air Gunner during World War II; he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve after the war, and as a member of that service was called back to active duty during the Korean War. The G.G. represented the initials of his wife, Gloria Gautraud, whom he had married in 1949. The initials were used so the sex of the author would remain vague. Though Gloria said that most of the writing was done by Forrest, he said her ideas helped make the female character more plausible and gave her a good dress sense. Gloria had been an assistant fashion editor at Look magazine and a fashion writer for Women's Wear Daily. Forrest told the Los Angeles Times, "I first thought of Marilyn Monroe, and then I thought of [fictional detective] Mike Hammer and decided to put the two together... We thought the most used name for someone you really like is Honey. And she lives in the West, so there was her name."

There were 8 Honey West novels published between 1957-1961, a 9th in 1964, and two more in the early '70s. I haven't read any of them, but would like to. From a quick sampling of the ones available on Kindle, they seem like fun reads.

God, I love the old vintage paperback covers from the '50s and '60s!

View attachment 124927
510m9-Pd5YL._SX296_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

honey-west-gg-fickling-vintage_1_e510e3d3da84ca91e832881b3ecf7b9a.jpg

Thanks for the further info on Gary Lockwood's TV and film roles, Randall! I'll definitely check out his return as Maj. Gus Denver in that later S1 episode of 12 O'Clock High soon. He was indeed a fine actor, yet another in the long list of those who should've had bigger careers.
I think a sub-title to the Bombshell book would be "I Stripped for the Fuhrer".

Charles 22

Second Unit
Real Name
Roy

Thanks for the tip. I just bought it. I was always lukewarm about the series, and never watched it really. Then out of devotion to Pamela Britton, I caught that one entire episode, and I knew there was at least great potential there (Than a Serpent's Tooth). Damn that was a good story, and I got to see Pamela show quite some versatility there too. There are three IMDB reviews for that episode, one of them mine, and while two of us loved it, another called it an average episode. If that's an average episode, then sign me up (but I think they're wrong nonetheless).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for the tip. I just bought it. I was always lukewarm about the series, and never watched it really. Then out of devotion to Pamela Britton, I caught that one entire episode, and I knew there was at least great potential there (Than a Serpent's Tooth). Damn that was a good story, and I got to see Pamela show quite some versatility there too. There are three IMDB reviews for that episode, one of them mine, and while two of us loved it, another called it an average episode. If that's an average episode, then sign me up (but I think they're wrong nonetheless).
It's a very good series. Blake Edwards created the series and directs many episodes, a jazzy score by Henry Mancini (future composer John Williams plays piano on that theme song), Herschel Bernardi (the voice of "Charley the Tuna") and Lola Albright (who can sing quite well to boot and does so in several episodes) in supporting roles, and Craig Stevens as "Peter Gunn" all make it high quality material.

Charles 22

Second Unit
Real Name
Roy
It's a very good series. Blake Edwards created the series and directs many episodes, a jazzy score by Henry Mancini (future composer John Williams plays piano on that theme song), Herschel Bernardi (the voice of "Charley the Tuna") and Lola Albright (who can sing quite well to boot and does so in several episodes) in supporting roles, and Craig Stevens as "Peter Gunn" all make it high quality material.
I'm currently watching Speed Racer as my dinner video, which means I'm out of thirty minute, never seen video, for the time being. It will be good to see some new stuff again with Gunn. I'm finding that's one of the better things about retro, to watch stuff you never watched before. I don't know if I can commit myself to watching the same thing on tv, especially since it has ruddy commercials, and will likely play episodes in any order, plus being in the middle of the night, plus not having the entire episode, but with buying a dvd set, I'm all in.

Man, recorded media is so many leagues better than tv stuff, unless you can find it in HD somewhere, and even then it has all the other hassles (plus station ID stamp). I never dreamed there would be a Charlie the Tuna connection involved, but with as seedy as Gunn is, is it any surprise? I really do get more involved with a series when I have the complete series all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks