What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (6 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Happy New Year from Mike Hammer (1982 edition)...Mike knows it's gonna be a great year!

Not 2022 of course, but 1983!

You just Know that 1983 was a great year!
Mike Hammer 6.JPG

Mike Hammer 7.JPG

Mike Hammer 8.JPG

Mike Hammer 20.JPG

Mike Hammer 25.JPG

Mike Hammer 29.JPG

Mike Hammer 35.JPG

Mike Hammer 33.JPG

Mike Hammer 55.JPG

Mike Hammer 57.JPG

Mike Hammer 96.JPG

Mike Hammer 98.JPG

Mike Hammer 97.JPG

Mike Hammer 99.JPG

Mike Hammer 113.JPG

Mike Hammer 112.JPG

Mike Hammer 74.JPG

Mike Hammer 70.JPG

Mike Hammer 63.JPG

Mike Hammer 58.JPG

(My screen caps from the new ViaVision region-free DVD set)...more to come, sometime...

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Gratuitous much? I think Mike is contemplating jumping off, because he then realized the show wasn't about him at all. Even in his last possible desperate act, a woman (Lady Liberty) is overshadowing him.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
To be fair, Stacy Keach is shown in an undershirt and the dogs being walked are wearing even less, so it’s hardly just the women who are shown in states of undress. I think Randall’s screencaps above qualify more as a sociological examination of “the way we lived and dressed in the 1980’s” and are more appropriate for dry, academic scrutiny than lecherous, eye popping, heart thumping, blood pumping ogling.

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
To be fair, Stacy Keach is shown in an undershirt and the dogs being walked are wearing even less, so it’s hardly just the women who are shown in states of undress. I think Randall’s screencaps above qualify more as a sociological examination of “the way we lived and dressed in the 1980’s” and are more appropriate for dry, academic scrutiny than lecherous, eye popping, heart thumping, blood pumping ogling.
OTOH, my sister never dressed like that. Yes, it's more an indictment of the perversities of the producers most likely. Nude dogs? How appalling! And my avatar being a dog, he's none too pleased. He hates to realize that when he was without clothes himself, he was without clothes, and as such doesn't like reminders.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I think Randall’s screencaps above qualify more as a sociological examination of “the way we lived and dressed in the 1980’s” and are more appropriate for dry, academic scrutiny than lecherous, eye popping, heart thumping, blood pumping ogling.
There's even more lecherous, eye popping, heart thumping, blood pumping ogling to come! Btw Randall who is this woman? She's particularly stunning!

Mike Hammer 70.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Btw Randall who is this woman? She's particularly stunning!

Neal, that's the lady known as "The Face," a mystery woman who Mike Hammer (Stacy Keach) always encounters once an episode, just in passing. There's definite electricity between them, yet she remains tantalizingly out of reach. The actress playing her is Donna Denton, and I don't recall her ever speaking a single line on the show. But, even with all the plunging necklines and pulchritude on display, she was the one that always stopped Hammer dead in his tracks.

I like to think that one day, Hammer hung up his P.I. shingle and settled down with this lovely lady, producing a passel of kids who all walk around wearing trenchcoats and fedoras.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Happy New Year from Mike Hammer (1982 edition)...Mike knows it's gonna be a great year!

Not 2022 of course, but 1983!

You just Know that 1983 was a great year!
Whoa! Way to ring in the New Year, Randall! This is exactly how I remember the '80s Mike Hammer, which I watched religiously as a hormonal teenager back when it first aired: a constant parade of cleavage cleavage cleavage...plus Stacy Keach's sly grin and soft-spoken charisma, good action and guest stars. Fantastic and fun post, thanks for sharing! Am going to order that ViaVision set ASAP.

The main theme, an arrangement of "Harlem Nocturne," was also terrific.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, that's the lady known as "The Face," a mystery woman who Mike Hammer (Stacy Keach) always encounters once an episode, just in passing. There's definite electricity between them, yet she remains tantalizingly out of reach. The actress playing her is Donna Denton, and I don't recall her ever speaking a single line on the show. But, even with all the plunging necklines and pulchritude on display, she was the one that always stopped Hammer dead in his tracks.

I like to think that one day, Hammer hung up his P.I. shingle and settled down with this lovely lady, producing a passel of kids who all walk around wearing trenchcoats and fedoras.
Jeff you romanticist you. She is captivating. Donna Denton The Face 39 episodes, 1984-1987

This series correct? The New Mike Hammer Original Title Mike Hammer (1984-1989)

Btw I'm seeing some mediocre episodes originating from the A&E Network on YouTube.

Here’s what I found worthy of a look.

I may just have to pick this up Randall. I plan to sample the 1984 TV-Movie first. I never watch post 1970's stuff but Miss Denton might've changed all that.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Here’s what I found worthy of a look.

Oooh...I know what I'll be watching this evening - thanks for the YT links to those Mike Hammer TV movies, Neal!

Man, while following your Amazon link to ViaVision's '80s Mike Hammer set above, I noticed that the '50s Darren McGavin version from Timeless must have gone OOP, as it's going for some pretty crazy prices now ($120 new, $79 used!) Glad I snagged a copy back when it was more reasonable...

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy

Woah, nice touch, a constant mystery lady to always stalk him. It rather reminds me of my AAAL, if I ever told that story (and there are several). In fact, AAAL (Almost Always Alone Lady) was a LOT less demonstrative than this girl apparently is, but then she was truly a stalker of sorts.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Whoa! Way to ring in the New Year, Randall! This is exactly how I remember the '80s Mike Hammer, which I watched religiously as a hormonal teenager back when it first aired: a constant parade of cleavage cleavage cleavage...plus Stacy Keach's sly grin and soft-spoken charisma, good action and guest stars. Fantastic and fun post, thanks for sharing! Am going to order that Via Vision set ASAP.

Sounds like this series is just dying for blu-ray, but I'll bet if suffered from that constant mishap known as tape recordings. Oddly enough, i never saw a wink of that show, as it being an NBC product probably scared me away. NBC for so long always had such poor video quality compared to the other stations (which probably ended in the 90's somewhere).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Sounds like this series is just dying for blu-ray, but I'll bet if suffered from that constant mishap known as tape recordings. Oddly enough, i never saw a wink of that show, as it being an NBC product probably scared me away. NBC for so long always had such poor video quality compared to the other stations (which probably ended in the 90's somewhere).
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer was a CBS series, Charles. The first two seasons Randall is referencing above (before Keach's cocaine bust resulted in the show eventually returning in a more toned-down version in 1986) aired on Saturday nights on CBS. These episodes are the ones many fans of the show remember the most fondly. More info here.

This is the ViaVision set containing the first two movie-length pilots and the 26 episodes from the first two seasons:

81as9VzFg6S._SY445_.jpg

I'll be buying this puppy soon...

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
View attachment 123556
View attachment 123560
View attachment 123561
Just noticed the interesting cast list in "Murder Me, Murder You" (1983), Randall! The late Tanya Roberts as Mike Hammer's loyal secretary Velda (soon to be replaced by Lindsay Bloom for the series)...Randi Brooks, Delta Burke, Lisa Blount, Lee Meredith and Michelle Phillips...not too mention all the other no-name beauties who pop up here and there to proposition Hammer (to which he usually responds: "I'll make a note.")

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Guns of Will Sonnett
1.8 “Meeting at Devil’s Fork”
1.12 “The Turkey Shoot”
1.14 “Find a Sonnett, Kill a Sonnett”
I really like this, one of the last TV westerns to utilize the half-hour format,

Great reviews as always Jeff! I just polished off an episode of The Guns Of Will Sonnett myself a few minutes ago. The downbeat existential nature of the serIes, Brennan’s voiceovers, the theme music and even the timelost, battered quality of the print made it perfectly appropriate viewing for a chilly afternoon as the rain pours down, the heater hums, the year winds down. In “Ride The Man Down”, the Sonnetts accompany a posse led by Sheriff Kevin McCarthy after a fleeing bankrobber said to be Will Sonnett. McCarthy is perfect as the Sheriff, who once rode with Sonnett but is bent on bringing him in for trial.
Thanks Jeff and Alan for your excellent reviews and reminding me to dive back into The Guns of Will Sonnett. I have the TMG complete series, but only viewed about a dozen episodes before going onto other shows. Probably a little discouraged by the washed-out, and worse yet, edited transfers. But I greatly enjoyed TMG's complete series set of Chuck Connors' Branded (great bonus features on that set with multiple and hilarious on-camera interviews with the great Larry Cohen!), Branded, of course, features the same type of edited King World syndicated sources, but to my eye, less washed out than Guns of Will Sonnett.
Ellery Queen – 1.7 “The Adventure of Col. Nivins’ Memoirs”
When Ellery’s publicist, Jenny (cutie-pie Gretchen Corbett, soon to gain greater fame as attorney Beth Davenport on The Rockford Files) discovers the body of her client, a former WWII spy (Lloyd Bochner) who has just written a tell-all memoir, she turns to the great detective for help clearing her of any suspicion in the murder.
Glad to have finally acquired the UK Fabulous Films DVD set, thanks to Doug Wallen's effusive praise for this series in his own episode reviews. Thanks Doug and Jeff for giving this show some publicity here, and thanks Jeff for the great screen caps. The Mystery Movie pilot telefilm also features some great location filming in NYC, including a nice scene at the '30 Rock' Rockefeller Center ice skating rink...and the guest stars are great and many!
Banak – 1.8 “The Two Million Clams of Cap’n Jack”
Everyone’s favorite smug bastard insurance investigator, Thomas Banacek (George Peppard), has just 36 hours to locate two million in stock certificates which have been stolen from inside a top-security elevator - while it was moving. The certificate plates were for the acquisition of Cap’n Jack Osburn’s seafood restaurant chain, set to go public following the weekend of the robbery. Cap’n Jack’s flaky but very attractive daughter, Erica (Jessica Walter) is soon dogging Banacek’s every step…but are her full-court press romantic overtures genuine?...or does she have her own agenda, i.e. beating him to the punch in solving the case?

Banacek pokes around in his usual seemingly laid-back fashion to earn his 10% finder’s fee, chomping on expensive cigars, wearing natty turtlenecks, trading good-natured banter with his assistants, runty chauffeur Jay (Ralph Manza) and bon vivant bookseller Felix (Murray Matheson) - all the while sifting through the suspects, who include Cap’n Jack himself (a bushy-bearded Andrew Duggan); his brother (William Shallert); the mogul (Jason Evers) who is buying out the company; a building maintenance supervisor (Gregory Sierra); and an ex-con security guard (Wally Taylor) who's either the prime suspect or a fall guy. This show, part of the NBC Wednesday Mystery Movie anthology series, can be relied on to deliver a clever “locked room” type of mystery every episode, and the solution to the crime here is, true to form, deceptively simple yet ingenious. Walter’s character verges on annoying, but there’s no denying that the actress is a real looker. Also with Linden Chiles, Fredd Wayne and David White (late of Bewitched) as the head of the insurance company who reluctantly engages Banacek’s costly services.
We do love our "favorite smug bastard" Banacek George Peppard don't we? What a slick, beautiful show...one of my favorites from the 'Mystery Movie Wheel'...and man, that sweet, cool Billy Goldenberg theme music!
Tombstone Territory – 1.29 “Doc Holliday in Durango”
Seeing Pat Conway’s effective guest star appearance in the above Gunsmoke episode spurred me on to dive back into his own very capable ZIV western. In this one, Tombstone sheriff Clay Hollister (Conway) heads to Durango on the trail of gunman Ed Mace (Mark Tapscott) and his crew, after Mace kills two men, one of whom was Hollister’s deputy. Seems Mace has plans to gun down infamous gambler and fast draw Doc Holliday (Gerald Mohr). After a brief gunfight in a Durango saloon, the wounded Hollister teams up with Doc to track Mace and his gang down. Deadly frontier justice results. The talented Mohr tamps down his innate charm to depict Holliday as a full-on arrogant, bullying prick; I’m curious to compare Mohr's take on the role here with his two appearances as Holliday on Maverick.
It is remarkable that Gerald Mohr played Doc Holliday in both Maverick (multiple episodes as 'Doc') and Tombstone Territory...I have all of both series, Maverick in those pricy Warner Archive sets, and all of Tombstone Territory in the excellent and humbly priced Timeless set (God Bless Norm Andersen, founder of TMG!). When I purchased the Tombstone Territory complete series set of 91 episodes in beautiful transfers, I think I paid $17 Canadian...about $14 American! I felt like I was a thief getting this quality series at that price!

Back to Gerald Mohr...if you have James Garner's autobiography, The Garner Files, James Garner is effusive in his praise of Gerald Mohr, saying what a great and interesting guy he was...a well-read intellectual, a talented musician (pianist and singer), a member of Orson Welles' fabled Mercury Theatre Players...and according to Garner, Gerald Mohr was a guy who always had the most interesting and hilarious true stories to tell during their breaks on Maverick...Gerald Mohr, sometimes described as a bargain basement Humphrey Bogart, appears frequently in all the WB shows...all the Westerns like Cheyenne, Bronco, Lawman and Sugarfoot (one of my favorite Mohr appearances in S3's Outlaw Island)...and Mohr is frequently seen in 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat and Surfside 6...On the radio, he was the voice actor behind Boston Blackie, and was the voice of Green Lantern in the animated TV series The New Adventures of Superman/ Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure...and also the voice of 'Mr. Fantastic' Reed Richards in 1967's animated Fantastic Four series....he had just finished the movie Funny Girl, co-starring with Barbara Streisand and Omar Sharif when he passed away in 1968 at age 54 from a coronary...far too young! I always look forward to seeing him in many episodes of my collection...a classy guy!
Alfred Hitchcock Hitchcock Presents
Revenge (1.1) Vera Miles, Ralph Meeker, Frances Bavier, Ray Teal. Directed by Hitchcock. Excellent series and season premier. A woman(Miles) suffering from a breakdown due to the stress of being a ballet dancer is attacked in her trailer. She is near comatose and very nervous. While trying to get her mind off her ordeal, she sees her attacker and her husband(Meeker) takes his revenge. Once they are traveling, she again sees her attacker. Uh-oh!!!
Great reviews as always Doug! I was glad to see that you have acquired most of Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour...there's so much to love in this extraordinary TV series!
I also spent an inordinate amount of cash this past year, picking up a lot of titles on both DVD and Blu-Ray to add to my collection. I estimate my physical media acquisitions at around 76 or so titles, either single season or complete series sets...and that's only for TV! Luckily, my wife is a patient and understanding woman who gives me minimal flack about my disc spending. After all, I don't drink, smoke or hold any season passes for sporting events, so what the hell? We all spend money on things we like...might just as well be on home entertainment. ;)
You and me both Jeff! Ha, ha...I don't even want to know how much I've spent this last year (my first in retirement) on DVD and Blu-rays...but there's less and less that I absolutely need to have, so perhaps I'm getting close to completing the collection of all that I'll ever need. Now, if Kino-Lorber wasn't releasing a lot of great product every month, and staging 3 great sales in the last six months, my wallet might take a breather...I currently have a dozen Blus on the way from Kino-Lorber!
Whoa! Way to ring in the New Year, Randall! This is exactly how I remember the '80s Mike Hammer, which I watched religiously as a hormonal teenager back when it first aired: a constant parade of cleavage cleavage cleavage...plus Stacy Keach's sly grin and soft-spoken charisma, good action and guest stars. Fantastic and fun post, thanks for sharing! Am going to order that ViaVision set ASAP.

Glad you enjoyed it Jeff! Glad to see that the pilot telefilms are on YT in nice quality, along with some episodes from the three distinct Stacy Keach Mike Hammer sojourns...the 1983-84 episodes are entirely new to DVD, but the pilot movies were previously released about 15 years ago...thanks Neal for the YT links...but I still have to have it on DVD, and ViaVision always does a great job...hopefully with more new-to-DVD stuff to come...
I may just have to pick this up Randall. I plan to sample the 1984 TV-Movie first. I never watch post 1970's stuff but Miss Denton might've changed all that.
Neal, I think you'd like it...even though the series is set in 1983-84, Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer treats 1983 like it's still 1943...he don't give a damn, and is a lovable 1940s anachronism in the 1980s...
Oooh...I know what I'll be watching this evening - thanks for the YT links to those Mike Hammer TV movies, Neal!

Man, while following your Amazon link to ViaVision's '80s Mike Hammer set above, I noticed that the '50s Darren McGavin version from Timeless must have gone OOP, as it's going for some pretty crazy prices now ($120 new, $79 used!) Glad I snagged a copy back when it was more reasonable...
I love Darren McGavin's Mike Hammer too! I'm glad I got the complete series way back in 2011...I'd hate to pay the OOP going rate these days, but this series would still be worth it in my book!
Just noticed the interesting cast list in "Murder Me, Murder You" (1983), Randall! The late Tanya Roberts as Mike Hammer's loyal secretary Velda (soon to be replaced by Lindsay Bloom for the series)...Randi Brooks, Delta Burke, Lisa Blount, Lee Meredith and Michelle Phillips...not too mention all the other no-name beauties who pop up here and there to proposition Hammer (to which he usually responds: "I'll make a note.")
Yes, it features a lovely gallery of beauties...here's a few more caps that I took from the new DVD set...
Mike Hammer 1.JPG

Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas)...
Mike Hammer 5.JPG

Tanya Roberts...
Mike Hammer 3.JPG

Mike Hammer 41.JPG

Delta Burke...
Mike Hammer 43.JPG

Mike Hammer 46.JPG

Mike Hammer 50.JPG

Lisa Blount...
Mike Hammer 52.JPG

Figure skater Lynn-Holly Johnson (Bond girl in For Your Eyes Only)...
Mike Hammer 89.JPG

Mike Hammer 90.JPG

Lindsay Bloom...
Mike Hammer 119.JPG

Mike Hammer 120.JPG

She gets to drive Hammer's 1966 Mustang!
Mike Hammer 111.JPG

And a few more from Hammer's first encounter with "The Face", Donna Denton...yea, I'd have the same stunned look on my face that Stacy Keach displays...
Mike Hammer 72.JPG

Mike Hammer 78.JPG

Mike Hammer 75.JPG

Mike Hammer 70.JPG

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer was a CBS series, Charles. The first two seasons Randall is referencing above (before Keach's cocaine bust resulted in the show eventually returning in a more toned-down version in 1986) aired on Saturday nights on CBS. These episodes are the ones many fans of the show remember the most fondly. More info here.

This is the ViaVision set containing the first two movie-length pilots and the 26 episodes from the first two seasons:

81as9VzFg6S._SY445_.jpg

I'll be buying this puppy soon...
I'll be pining away waiting for the blu-ray which, if shot on video as I think it was, will never see the light of day. I do have the original McGavin Mike Hammer series on dvd though. Actually if sharpness means anything to you, and you have a region-free player, I would look abroad for it, UK amazon for a start (in my own case, I just don't have the habit of doing that). Oddly enough, though I haven't used it but once since IMDB went to the new format, I can't find anything about how it was shot, apart from the aspect ratio, and since all tv was shot in that aspect back then, that tells me nothing.

Oh damn, I knew that series had one of my favorites on it. Oh yes, little Ms Caryn Richman super-fox, the best looking actress I have ever seen (at her best). Yes, my interest level just went through the roof. Hmm, I may buy that after all, only, she's in the tailend of the series instead ('87). Blast, and IMDB had no photos of the episode either. Man, with so many floozies apparently on the series, it makes me wonder what getup they had her in. She seems to be the main guest star in that episode at least.

There's some pretty good pics on Caryn on the net, and I just found one of her in a bikini off the Gidget tv show, which is super clear and she looks great, but I had a black and white of her once, which was VERY prominent for her on the net, but nowadays it's completely gone (just a headshot). I used to have that pic saved on my hard drive, but I think she was so hot it corrupted the file and therefore was no longer viewable😆! If I had considered the hotness factor, I should had made multiple copies. I ought to beat myself silly for that omission😉. Blast, my most precious pic and it hotted away. I'm laughing my ass off and crying at the same time🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😢😢😢!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And for something totally different... I’ve been watching on and off The Twilight Zone marathon on Decades this weekend. I didn’t watch too much on Friday as the episodes they curated were not some of my favorites. But on Saturday, they had many many of the better ones. And there’s no obvious to me any good reasons for the order of episodes. This morning have been more great ones and one of my favorites, Nick of Time is on now. :)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Thanks Jeff and Alan for your excellent reviews and reminding me to dive back into The Guns of Will Sonnett. I have the TMG complete series, but only viewed about a dozen episodes before going onto other shows. Probably a little discouraged by the washed-out, and worse yet, edited transfers. But I greatly enjoyed TMG's complete series set of Chuck Connors' Branded (great bonus features on that set with multiple and hilarious on-camera interviews with the great Larry Cohen!), Branded, of course, features the same type of edited King World syndicated sources, but to my eye, less washed out than Guns of Will Sonnett.

Glad to have finally acquired the UK Fabulous Films DVD set, thanks to Doug Wallen's effusive praise for this series in his own episode reviews. Thanks Doug and Jeff for giving this show some publicity here, and thanks Jeff for the great screen caps. The Mystery Movie pilot telefilm also features some great location filming in NYC, including a nice scene at the '30 Rock' Rockefeller Center ice skating rink...and the guest stars are great and many!

We do love our "favorite smug bastard" Banacek George Peppard don't we? What a slick, beautiful show...one of my favorites from the 'Mystery Movie Wheel'...and man, that sweet, cool Billy Goldenberg theme music!

It is remarkable that Gerald Mohr played Doc Holliday in both Maverick (multiple episodes as 'Doc') and Tombstone Territory...I have all of both series, Maverick in those pricy Warner Archive sets, and all of Tombstone Territory in the excellent and humbly priced Timeless set (God Bless Norm Andersen, founder of TMG!). When I purchased the Tombstone Territory complete series set of 91 episodes in beautiful transfers, I think I paid $17 Canadian...about $14 American! I felt like I was a thief getting this quality series at that price!

Back to Gerald Mohr...if you have James Garner's autobiography, The Garner Files, James Garner is effusive in his praise of Gerald Mohr, saying what a great and interesting guy he was...a well-read intellectual, a talented musician (pianist and singer), a member of Orson Welles' fabled Mercury Theatre Players...and according to Garner, Gerald Mohr was a guy who always had the most interesting and hilarious true stories to tell during their breaks on Maverick...Gerald Mohr, sometimes described as a bargain basement Humphrey Bogart, appears frequently in all the WB shows...all the Westerns like Cheyenne, Bronco, Lawman and Sugarfoot (one of my favorite Mohr appearances in S3's Outlaw Island)...and Mohr is frequently seen in 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat and Surfside 6...On the radio, he was the voice actor behind Boston Blackie, and was the voice of Green Lantern in the animated TV series The New Adventures of Superman/ Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure...and also the voice of 'Mr. Fantastic' Reed Richards in 1967's animated Fantastic Four series....he had just finished the movie Funny Girl, co-starring with Barbara Streisand and Omar Sharif when he passed away in 1968 at age 54 from a coronary...far too young! I always look forward to seeing him in many episodes of my collection...a classy guy!

Great reviews as always Doug! I was glad to see that you have acquired most of Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour...there's so much to love in this extraordinary TV series!

You and me both Jeff! Ha, ha...I don't even want to know how much I've spent this last year (my first in retirement) on DVD and Blu-rays...but there's less and less that I absolutely need to have, so perhaps I'm getting close to completing the collection of all that I'll ever need. Now, if Kino-Lorber wasn't releasing a lot of great product every month, and staging 3 great sales in the last six months, my wallet might take a breather...I currently have a dozen Blus on the way from Kino-Lorber!

Glad you enjoyed it Jeff! Glad to see that the pilot telefilms are on YT in nice quality, along with some episodes from the three distinct Stacy Keach Mike Hammer sojourns...the 1983-84 episodes are entirely new to DVD, but the pilot movies were previously released about 15 years ago...thanks Neal for the YT links...but I still have to have it on DVD, and ViaVision always does a great job...hopefully with more new-to-DVD stuff to come...

Neal, I think you'd like it...even though the series is set in 1983-84, Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer treats 1983 like it's still 1943...he don't give a damn, and is a lovable 1940s anachronism in the 1980s...

I love Darren McGavin's Mike Hammer too! I'm glad I got the complete series way back in 2011...I'd hate to pay the OOP going rate these days, but this series would still be worth it in my book!

Yes, it features a lovely gallery of beauties...here's a few more caps that I took from the new DVD set...
View attachment 123663

Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas)...
View attachment 123664

Tanya Roberts...
View attachment 123665
View attachment 123670

Delta Burke...
View attachment 123666
View attachment 123667
View attachment 123668

Lisa Blount...
View attachment 123669

Figure skater Lynn-Holly Johnson (Bond girl in For Your Eyes Only)...
View attachment 123671
View attachment 123672

Lindsay Bloom...
View attachment 123673
View attachment 123674

She gets to drive Hammer's 1966 Mustang!
View attachment 123675

And a few more from Hammer's first encounter with "The Face", Donna Denton...yea, I'd have the same stunned look on my face that Stacy Keach displays...
View attachment 123676
View attachment 123677
View attachment 123678
View attachment 123679
This role reminds me quite a bit of another mysterious lady. This may not had been mysterious to anybody else, but I always wondered who the girl was on the three Bryan Adams videos some people may be familiar with (Summer of '69, Run to Me, and Heaven)

Now what made this girl more mysterious than most, was the fact that she also never says a word (except in Summer of '69) in all the videos, plus, she resembles a model I recall from the Montgomery Ward catalog days. Now I wasn't terribly keen on her, but she seemed to be everywhere. So much so that she actually appeared as a main star in a movie, which I saw, never learned her name, and then promptly forgot which movie it was. Decades later I'm curious about her, and despite looking for that movie for so long, finally bumped into the right one. I was fairly sure she wasn't the Bryan Adams girl, but I just had to know, and once I saw her picture again, I was sure she wasn't the same girl, and, of course, knew her name then. The girl on the BA vids is named Lysette Anthony, and she's had a pretty good career in film, especially in the UK.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
And for something totally different... I’ve been watching on and off The Twilight Zone marathon on Decades this weekend. I didn’t watch too much on Friday as the episodes they curated were not some of my favorites. But on Saturday, they had many many of the better ones. And there’s no obvious to me any good reasons for the order of episodes. This morning have been more great ones and one of my favorites, Nick of Time is on now. :)
I suspect nobody will catch it in the nick of time. You've got 14 more minutes folks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Yes, the Mystic Seer says it has already been decided.

I’m surprised the curator has scheduled Nightmare at 20,000 Feet as the next episode. So it’s nice to see both Shatner episodes back to back.

Though I’m trying to not watch as these are not looking as good as the Blu Rays and they are edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks