What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Teri Garr drive-through appearance on The Andy Griffith Show S08E26 The Wedding (Mar.04.1968)

Andy Griffith S08E26 The Wedding-1.jpg
Andy Griffith S08E26 The Wedding-3.jpg

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Roy, I share your Terri Garr affection (or affliction as the case may be, ha, ha). As a young lady, she certainly had that precious 'cute sexy' essence. I look forward to seeing her in nearly everything, including her unbilled appearances in shows like Mr. Novak and Get Smart, let alone her famous Star Trek appearance with Robert Lansing (I wish that backdoor pilot had been greenlit for a series with 'Garry Seven'). Her episodes of McCloud will be a delight to revisit, I've already got my confirmed order in with VEI for the new complete series release. I previously only owned Universal's seasons one and two, and the R4 Madman releases of seasons four and six.

Here's beautiful Terri Garr in It Takes a Thief season two, Guess Who's Coming to Rio? (Jan.7,1969)...my screen caps from the E One DVD complete series set...
View attachment 120904
View attachment 120905
View attachment 120897
View attachment 120899
View attachment 120900
View attachment 120901
View attachment 120902
View attachment 120903

Wow! What a cutie! I hope she's doing well these days, her career tragically cut short by MS, sadly.
What little I know of Friends, I did see that she was Lisa Kudrow's mother on the show. If there were anybody you could pass off as another Teri, it would be Lisa, so very good choice there. make sure and let us knwo what sort of quality you get with the new McCloud set.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
View attachment 120908
Funny how this image of Teri is what sticks most with me*...

*incontrovertible letch
There's quite a few juicy pics of Teri from that movie. I did see a scene on youtube a day or two ago, where Gene and her are getting very close to each other, but refusing to touch (rather reminding me of Madeline Kahn in the movie). This is particularly funny to me now, because of one girl I met I had to be alone with for some three plus hours, when she worked with me one night at my first job of fast food.

That girl was standing next to me like an inch away all the time, and as hot as Teri is in this movie, she didn't compare to this girl. I would say that girl was in the top five of girls I have seen on this planet, and that was wearing one of those lousy uniforms. If it hadn't been for me knowing she had a fiancé serving abroad, she might had become Mrs 22. I'm not really sure she was as keen on me as I was on her, but an inch away? She had to be somewhat close, because though she had experience (what kind of experience?) I still had to teach her somewhat. I think they transferred her the next day, and as far as I know, neither of us told anybody about how close she stood to me😂, and everybody saw it, because she was doing it probably the first second I saw her. If you moved from where you were standing, you actually had to back up before you did, lest you run into her, she was that close.

The more I think about that incident, the stranger it seems. I mean why send some pretty much trained girl to work with me one lousy night? You almost wonder if she wasn't a setup or something.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Out Of The Clear Blue Of The Western Sky Comes ~~~~~~~~ Sky King

Sky King DVD Box Set All 72 TV Episodes + Book + Aviation History BonusSky King DVD Box Set Al...jpg

On November 30th of this year I purchased this DVD Collection. I received the Official Sky King Complete 18 DVD (72 Episodes) Box Set on Monday afternoon. I was quite fortunate as the seller was a very conservative grader. He assessed the set as Very Good. It was closer to Like New. So I feel I got a really good deal for $125. Yet another pleasant eBay experience in my 20+ years as a member.

I have viewed only the first 10 episodes so this is still very preliminary but I am delighted to say the image quality is surprisingly good. You guys know I'm extremely picky. But don't get me wrong. This is no CBS or TimeWarner release. However, it is as good or better than many TimelessMedia/Shout!Factory! offerings.

My likes: The Sky King (1951-1959) storylines are quite entertaining. The show reminds me of the Adventures of Superman (1952-1958) from the same music cues to the stall of familiar supporting actors particularly the bad guys. Even Kirby Grant's mannerisms oft-times remind me of George Reeves without a cape. The running times vary anywhere from 24:50 to 27 minutes. As HTF member John (Sky King) surmised, "might be a result of the Peter Pan Peanut Butter or Nabisco commercials that were cut from these prints. Just a guess."

My dislikes: At the start of each show there's a brief description of the storyline. The printed text bleeds into the opening seconds of each episode. John and I both agree this might have been done to prevent bootlegging which as I understand it is quite easy with DVR-R's. Also the owner-creator failed to include Episode Titles, Episode Numbers, Season Number, and Original Airdates with each episode. There are only four episodes per disc so it does become a bit annoying having to eject and insert each disc. Ripping to digital copies would be my preference if I had a working Drive. These are all really minor items for me.

The set includes a very nice b&w 132-page Leatherette booklet which tells you just about everything you'd ever want to know about the Sky King television series. It does include almost all the detailed episode information missing from each disc but it still fails to designate each season's episode numbers.

Something I wasn't aware of, writes John (Sky King), "from what I understand all 35mm elements of this show were destroyed by the shows producer Jack Chertok. He also destroyed all of the elements of another show he produced, My Living Doll because he didn't want to pay storage fee costs." I was aware about My Living Doll being destroyed but not Sky King.

This complete collection can be purchased at Amazon or directly from the owner at SkyKing.com. I have to be honest and say IMO I don't feel it's worth $179 bucks (more on Amazon), but that's a personal preference. I'm very pleased with my acquisition at $125 bucks and I hope at least I've taken some of the mystery out of a purchase if any of you decide to do so. A special thanks goes out to HTF member John (Sky King) who helped educate me about this collection and about the Sky King legacy!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up-- Miami Vice, fourth-season episode "Child's Play" (OAD Friday, October 30, 1987 on NBC; Disc 1 in Season 4 on Mill Creek all-in-one DVD): here, Crockett shoots a boy while he is undercover, and the basis of the story is, for one thing, how it drives Crockett crazy (best scene to that end is where he has a one-on-one w/Castillo in Castillo's office [Crockett returns after having been gone without telling his fellow officers], and Crockett explodes about how much that shooting is eating him up inside [not just the shooting, but the community backlash]; Castillo is compassionate, and says that while Crockett did shoot someone, he needs to put it behind him and not let it affect the good that he has done for Miami, the county and all related communities [at least how I see it]).

Here is that one-on-one between Crockett and Castillo (from the later clip show episode "A Bullet For Crockett"); the dialogue here (at least Crockett's part) shows how much that shooting tore Crockett up:

Crockett: "What does he [DiLello, a character that Castillo talked to] want me to say! What do you want me to say! I'd like to see you up there. I shot the kid. I shot him, he may die. It was my gun; I can't pull the bullet back in there. And there's nothing that you say, or anybody says, or no shrink is gonna change that!!"

And here are a few screenshots from this episode on Mill Creek's DVD, showing the depth of Crockett's anguish in his face:

miamivicechildsplaycrockett1.png

miamivicechildsplaycrockett2.png

miamivicechildsplaycrockett3.png

miamivicechildsplaycrockett4.png

More on this episode:

As fourth-season episodes go, this one was pretty good, IMO, and far better than "Missing Hours," because it shows how something a police officer does that lands him or her in hot water w/the department and the community can drive him or her nuts, and how that officer has to deal with the backlash.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Bewitched
"The Girl With The Golden Nose" (S2E37)

Poor Darrin is feeling a bit inadequate in his career progress. His scrotum satchel of a boss, Larry Tate, has denied him the opportunity to handle the agency's big new account, Waterhouse & Co. For a go-getter like Darrin, it's a kick right in his trouser trumpet. Samantha tries to cheer Darrin up with a breakfast of eggs, pancakes, bacon and coffee cake just to prove to him they're doing well enough to afford coronary-inducing food. But alas, Darrin still feels like a human daffodil in a business world of snap dragons.

Hold on! Larry changes his mind and suddenly presents the big account to Darrin. But instead of being uplifted by the news, Darrin believes Samantha has worked her witchy magic to make it happen. As a result, he's determined to undermine his role in the account. He approaches his first meeting with Mr. Waterhouse like a stinksome horseslap with an irritating and cringeworthy demeanor. Although Larry is flabbergasted, Mr. Waterhouse--whose company has been manufacturing thumb tacks since 1880, is actually impressed with Darrin's tacky behavior. Darrin's now completely convinced that Samantha is secretly manipulating the events. Feeling defeated, he gives in to her magic and buys her an expensive mink coat in appreciation. If he can't get screwed at work, at least he might as well get some rumpy pumpy at home, right? It works--Samantha is on him like a hormone-drenched cheerleader on the captain of the football team.

1639403564095.png
1639403694885.png
1639403837977.png

Darrin chows down his future heart attack; Larry assumes his Harvey Korman face; Welcome home, Dear!

Darrin begins to act recklessly, believing his fate is completely in the soft but manipulative hands of his wife. She's entirely against him giving in to her witchy ways and sets forth to change his mind back to its original anti-magic stance. When Darrin returns home from work, he finds the house staffed with a butler and maid service, and furnished as if Macy's and Tiffany's had vomited their entire inventory within. As she imagined, he's incensed by the undeserved extravagance produced by nothing more than her wizardry.

In the end, Darrin realizes he doesn't need Sam's voodoo to be a successful businessman and a providing husband. He does, however, convince her to keep the Victoria Secret wardrobe she purchased. There's some powerful magic in that, by golly.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Bumping this up-- Miami Vice, fourth-season episode "Child's Play" (OAD Friday, October 30, 1987 on NBC; Disc 1 in Season 4 on Mill Creek all-in-one DVD): here, Crockett shoots a boy while he is undercover, and the basis of the story is, for one thing, how it drives Crockett crazy (best scene to that end is where he has a one-on-one w/Castillo in Castillo's office [Crockett returns after having been gone without telling his fellow officers], and Crockett explodes about how much that shooting is eating him up inside [not just the shooting, but the community backlash]; Castillo is compassionate, and says that while Crockett did shoot someone, he needs to put it behind him and not let it affect the good that he has done for Miami, the county and all related communities [at least how I see it]).

Here is that one-on-one between Crockett and Castillo (from the later clip show episode "A Bullet For Crockett"); the dialogue here (at least Crockett's part) shows how much that shooting tore Crockett up:

Crockett: "What does he [DiLello, a character that Castillo talked to] want me to say! What do you want me to say! I'd like to see you up there. I shot the kid. I shot him, he may die. It was my gun; I can't pull the bullet back in there. And there's nothing that you say, or anybody says, or no shrink is gonna change that!!"

And here are a few screenshots from this episode on Mill Creek's DVD, showing the depth of Crockett's anguish in his face:

View attachment 121069

View attachment 121070

View attachment 121071

View attachment 121072

More on this episode:

As fourth-season episodes go, this one was pretty good, IMO, and far better than "Missing Hours," because it shows how something a police officer does that lands him or her in hot water w/the department and the community can drive him or her nuts, and how that officer has to deal with the backlash.

Don Johnson and I are 10 days apart in age.

1639404626645.png

He's better looking than me.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Don Johnson and I are 10 days apart in age.

1639404626645.png
1639404626645.png

He's better looking than me.
Ha, ha, Russ! I'm sure you undersell yourself. I imagine you to be a debonair Indiana gentleman that makes your state proud.

BTW, Mel Gibson and I are 5 days apart in age. Tom Hanks is 6 months younger than myself. I have been in the habit of comparing my state of decay to theirs, at least up until this pandemic, now being a hideous shut-in. Most days, I'm thankful for the mask, ha, ha...

Man, that lingerie pic of Elizabeth Montgomery sure stirred my soul this morning...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oh, I don't think it's an uncommon circumstance...
I don't get preferred seating in restaurants because of it.
I agree - I share a birthday with Fred Astaire (though he's 56 years my senior and had essentially retired by the time I came along). I can't dance (though if a Rita Hayworth clone had come along I'd have done my best to learn), but I do sing quite well (got a scholarship to do that in college).

I've never thought to mention it in a restaurant - but these days I'd be surprised if the young staff would even know who Astaire is.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Two Ronnies
9.9 "1982 Christmas Special"
10.7 “1984 Christmas Special”
The irrepressible Ronnies Corbett and Barker hosted several Christmas specials throughout their long-running BBC sketch comedy show, which ran intermittently from 1971 to 1987. These two (from 1982 and 1984 respectively) are typically clever and mildly ribald fun, full of songs, skits, wordplay, puns and plenty of chances for the two to indulge in their flair for mimicry and portraying a variety of oddball characters. They even dress up as a pair of singing Santas (and two sarcastic elves) at one point. Ronnie Barker especially is a real chameleon as well as a very skilled comic actor, as witnessed by his starring turns in two big hit U.K. sitcoms of the ‘70s and ‘80s, Porridge and Open All Hours. Jokes and skits fly thick and fast, only slowing down for one musical number each: a completely forgettable dirge by some guy called David Essex in the 1982 special (cut from the YouTube version I watched - hooray!) and another in the 1984 special featuring singer Elaine Paige, who croons a very ‘80s version of “Windmills of My Mind.” This one – other than her looking a whole lot like Inger Stevens – is also well worth skipping. Second Doctor Who Patrick Troughton and Peter Wyngarde guest star in the 1984 special. Both episodes are on YouTube and are recommended if you like this sort of thing.

ronnies-84.jpg
rm5fuszp1zbts6xqzzlp.jpg

The Beverly Hillbillies - 5.15 "The Christmas Present"
In this episode, the Clampetts demonstrate one of the key factors that make them such lovable characters - their concern and compassion for their fellow man. Granny's feeling down in the dumps about the holidays and not even the ginormous tree that Jethro's brought home cheers her up. But then Jed starts to reminisce about past Christmases that became special because the family all pulled together and pitched in to get someone else something they really needed. Inspired by these recollections, the Clampetts decide to do something nice for Mrs. Drysdale by taking jobs at a swish department store, hoping to raise enough money to buy back the old clothes she had planned to donate to a rummage sale. (The explanation for why the Clampetts don't just dip into their fat $60 million-plus bank account to do this is supposedly to not alert Mr. Drysdale about their plans). Jed starts off in sporting goods but is talked into switching places with Granny, who's been manning the lingerie counter. Jethro is playing the store Santa Claus (with Elly Mae looking cute as can be as his helper elf). This leads to a very funny exchange between a female customer and the snide floor manager:

Customer (referring to Jethro as Santa): "I've never seen anyone with such rapport with children....it's just as if he had the mind of a 7-year-old."

Manager: "Well, you may be closer than you think..."

Just a terrific, warm bon bon of a seasonal episode, full of good cheer and Christmas spirit...capped off with the main cast turning to the camera and singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" to the audience at the close.

vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h27m31s163.png

vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h26m59s283.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h29m04s705.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h25m08s631.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h25m44s138.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h25m24s444.png

Bewitched - 4.16 "Humbug Not to Be Spoken Here"
Another lovely little episode, basically a reprise of S1's "A Vision of Sugar Plums"...but instead of a little boy (Bill Mumy) who doesn't believe in Santa, this time out we get Hollywood's go-to prune-faced curmudgeon, the great Charles Lane, as Mr. Mortimer, an uber-rich business owner who has no time for Christmas. When Darrin cuts short a meeting with Mortimer, the old grouch marches right over to the Stephens' house (with Darrin's kowtowing, money grubbing boss, Larry Tate, in tow) and demands Darrin give up his holidays to work on a new promo for his canned soup company. Darrin, showing a surprising amount of backbone, refuses, leading the old grinch to storm off, threatening to cancel his $500,000 contract with Darrin and Larry's ad agency. Samantha decides to use her witchy powers to intervene, whisking the pajama-clad Mortimer away to the North Pole to visit Santa. Nothing surprising or earth-shatteringly original here, but I found this episode to be a real treat regardless, thanks to the skilled playing by the cast. And who can resist the offhandedly sexy, sweetly laid-back, cheerful screen presence of Elizabeth Montgomery? The extra tinsel on this tree is the complete absence of Agnes Moorehead's Endora (of whom a little goes a long way).

vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h36m24s900.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h36m45s380.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h32m01s502.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h38m35s777.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h38m57s292.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h39m08s820.png

vlcsnap-2021-12-14-22h32m57s669.png

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I always found this extraordinary episode particularly haunting. Each time I watch it I pick up new things. This time around I realized Mr. Serling was telling you right at the beginning what was actually going to happen. Of course the gorgeous and troubled Inger Stevens made this a classic for the ages! This photo-essay is from the BluRay edition.​

And Now, Mr. Serling:

"Next week we'll drive with Miss Inger Stevens, who starts out on what begins as a vacation and ends as a desperate flight. She begins her trip next week on
The Twilight Zone. And you'll be with her when she meets . . . "The Hitch-Hiker." We hope you'll be alongside. Goodnight."

Cast:

Nan Adams:
Inger Stevens
Hitch-Hiker: Leonard Strong
Sailor: Adam Williams
Gas Station Owner: George Mitchell
Mechanic: Lew Gallo
Counterman: Russ Bender
Highway Worker: Dwight Townsend

Crew:

Writer:
Rod Serling (based on the radio play by Lucille Fletcher)
Director: Alvin Ganzer
Producer: Buck Houghton
Production Manager: Ralph W. Nelson
Director of Photography: George T. Clemens
Art Direction: George W. Davis and William Ferrari
Set Decoration: Rudy Butler and Henry Grace
Assistant Director: Edward Denault
Casting: Mildred Gusse
Editor: Bill Mosher
Sound: Franklin Milton and Jean Valentino
Music: stock

Rod Serling's Opening Narration:

"Her name is Nan Adams. She's twenty-seven years old. Her occupation: buyer at a New York department store. At present on vacation, driving cross-country to Los Angeles, California, from Manhattan. Minor incident on Highway 11 in Pennsylvania, perhaps to be filed away under accidents you walk away from. But from this moment on, Nan Adam's companion on a trip to California will be terror, her route fear, her destination quite unknown."

S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-1.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-2.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-3.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-4.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-5.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-6.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-7.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-8.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-9.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-10.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-11.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-12.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-13.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-14.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-15.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-16.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-17.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-18.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-19.jpg
S01E16 The Hitch-Hiker (Jan.22.1960)-20.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I always found this extraordinary episode particularly haunting. Each time I watch it I pick up new things. This time around I realized Mr. Serling was telling you right at the beginning what was actually going to happen. Of course the gorgeous and troubled Inger Stevens made this a classic for the ages! This photo-essay is from the BluRay edition.​

Have always loved this episode of The Twilight Zone, Neal...and of course, have forever been smitten with Inger Stevens. Excellent job on the photo essay! The show sure looks fabulous in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks