What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
While this colorful ITC series, which ran for a single season of 30 episodes from 1968-1969, would never be accused of being deep or profound, it could be relied on to deliver fun espionage plots, violent action, cool exhibitions of its heroes' superhuman skills (which include greatly increased strength, hyper-sensitive hearing and a shared telepathic link), and a nice, easygoing rapport between the three leads. And often enough, the producers would kindly indulge those of us in the audience who like that sort of thing by dressing the gorgeous Ms. Bastedo in some pretty sexy outfits...including here an extremely short terrycloth robe. While this is not the best this show could offer, it's diverting Saturday morning viewing.

I adored that show as a kid of the Seventies.

Unfortunately, the old PC on which I take assorted screencaps would not play any of the discs from my new-arrived Network DVD set, so I had to settle for quick snaps from the copy on DailyMotion. Rest assured, the DVD transfers, while not pristine, look much better.

I also have a screencap issue with my Mac, in other words, I can't take pictures from any Blu-Ray discs.
So no Kolchak BD screenshots for my dedicated thread and I had to go back to the old DVD set.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
LAUGH OF THE DAY

I just saw Malcolm in the Middle S6E20 called Stilts.

There's a man that works at Malcolm's Lucky Aide, who always did the man-on-stilts routine outside their store, to draw customers, and he dressed like Uncle Sam. They got rid of him, and Malcolm got a thirty cent raise to take the job, which he hates. I think this scene was his second day doing the job:

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The failure of many people to view any older product through the eyes and context of the year(s) made is why older movies and TV series are, far too often, summarily dismissed and laughed at as high camp, or even considered offensive, especially by younger viewers.

Maybe that's why some think shows like Miami Vice are not all that-- because they don't see it through the eyes of the 80s and everything that decade was.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Maybe that's why some think shows like Miami Vice are not all that-- because they don't see it through the eyes of the 80s and everything that decade was.
Context is king for older TV.

Miami Vice was a show I didn't appreciate when it aired. I always resisted the popular 80's favorites and dismissed them as froth. And some of it was (it was the 80's after all). But when I checked out the series around 10 years ago, I really enjoyed a lot of it.

My wife always jokes that I don't like a show until it's 20 years old. She's kinda got a point...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I didn't mind the first two seasons of Miami Vice under Michael Mann but couldn't stand the Dick Wolf episodes, too dark for me.

After watching an excellent episode of Magnum PI last night I started to wonder what my top five favorite dramas were from the 80s. First I had to come up with a list of shows from the 80s and much like the 60s and 70s there were a lot of good ones so narrowing it down was difficult. I finally settled on these:

Murder She Wrote
Star Trek The Next Generation
Magnum PI
MacGyver
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Context is king for older TV.

Miami Vice was a show I didn't appreciate when it aired. I always resisted the popular 80's favorites and dismissed them as froth. And some of it was (it was the 80's after all). But when I checked out the series around 10 years ago, I really enjoyed a lot of it.

My wife always jokes that I don't like a show until it's 20 years old. She's kinda got a point...
I have to agree with that generally, for I'm crushing on X-Files now. I can see what all the fuss was about now, but back then, it was just popular, so it didn't interest me. I think part of the reason we do that sort of thing, is because we want to look at most series these days, through the judgement of time. IOW, we want to take it for face value, and NOT because so many are getting off on it.

As well, why get all hyped up on a series, if it's just going to die in a year or two? I had enough of that nonsense when I was a kid. Of course, I may not touch on all the reasons why we love to look at series after they're dead already, but I think another reason is because of our recorded media habit. Often enough, we want PRODUCT, and by that I mean not only being apart from watching it just because it's popular, but because we, by that time, can watch it on PREMIUM, that is, seeing it on recorded media, where there's no commercials. Man, if only people that watched modern shows knew how much more we can get into a show, because we can stop it when we want, or blow right through it, completely with it at our command, and in many cases, even better than when it aired, since quite a bit of what we may watch goes through upgrades.

Wow, I'm surprised I pulled that out of myself, but that's a pretty good summary I think. Watching a program live, really is for the birds. And for what little i watch that way, I cringe so much due to bloody commercials ruining my mood and immersion.

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
November schedule of shows on DVD/Blu ray. Favorites so far in bold.

Monday 11/1/21
Hawaii Five-O Classic

The Lucy Show
Tuesday 11/2/21
Ironside

Charles in Charge
Wednesday 11/3/21
The Rockford Files

Green Acres
Thursday 11/4/21
The Saint
The Office
Friday 11/5/21

Stargate SG1
Mr. ED
Saturday 11/6/21
JAG
(Excellent episode aboard a carrier and a confrontation with North Korea.)
Have Gun Will Travel
Sunday 11/7/21
Murdoch Mysteries
Public Defender
Monday 11/8/21
The FBI
I Love Lucy
Tuesday 11/9/21
NCIS New Orleans
How I Met Your Mother
Wednesday 11/10/21
Xena Warrior Princess
(Hadn't watched it in a while and I forgot how good this show is.)
The Patty Duke Show (Enjoyed this episode so much it replaced The Lucy Show on my top 5 60s sit-coms list.)
Thursday 11/11/21
The Bionic Woman
Perfect Strangers
Friday 11/12/21
Star Trek The Original Series
The Andy Griffith Show
Saturday 11/13/21
Murder She Wrote
Highway Patrol
Sunday 11/14/21
Promised Land
Sea Hunt
Monday 11/15/21
Magnum P.I.
Here's Lucy
Tuesday 11/16/21
NCIS Los Angeles
Newhart
Wednesday 11/17/21
Daniel Boone
Leave it to Beaver
Thursday 11/18/21
Mission Impossible
Home Improvement
Friday 11/19/21
Star Trek Enterprise
The Beverly Hillbillies
Saturday 11/20/21
Walker Texas Ranger
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Sunday 11/21/21
Eureka
The Adventures of Superman
Monday 11/22/21
The High Chaparral
Father Knows Best
Tuesday 11/23/21
NCIS
The Middle
Wednesday 11/24/21
Bonanza
Bewitched
Thursday 11/25/21
MacGyver Classic
Big Bang Theory
Friday 11/26/21
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
The Bob Newhart Show
Saturday 11/27/21
Perry Mason
The Rifleman
Sunday 11/28/21
Dr. Who
Twilight Zone
Monday 11/29/21
Quincy M.E.
Dennis the Menace
Tuesday 11/30/21
Longstreet (Haven't watched this since it aired so I'm looking forward to seeing how well it holds up.)
Community
Such an extreme diverse lineup. I'm curious, is all that stuff new or forgotten (such that it's like new) for you? As far as Patty Duke was concerned, was the episode that tipped you over the one where Patty can't speak for a week? That's my favorite one by quite a bit. Ironic that the funniest episode was one where Patty couldn't speak (but unusual episodes often bring out the best), but Richard did a killer job making up for it. I always liked his Archie Andrews type character, but he really killed it on that one.

Incidentally, the Patty silent episode, was the last one of season two. It's none too rare for many series, that they pull off their best episodes as the very last one, to give you something to remember them by for the next year. I mean I just glanced over the episode on youtube again, and they REALLY took full advantage of that situation, even a sweet moment between Ross and Patty. There wasn't a dull moment in that episode, and it was non-predictable the whole way. I also have something of a special love for that episode, because it put Patty in some thing of a handicapped position, something my mother was all too familiar with (she having had the opposite problem, of not being able to hear. And really, the episode just magnifies the difficulty a lot of people being deaf or mute have with ordinary society [that they will be treated like crap]). It is VERY fitting also, to think Patty's big break came with her portrayal of Helen Keller. I'm curious if the idea for that episode actually came from Patty or not.

Oh no, I was incorrect, Patty only had to be silent for seventy-two hours, but so much happens on the episode, it seems like a week.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Such an extreme diverse lineup. I'm curious, is all that stuff new or forgotten (such that it's like new) for you? As far as Patty Duke was concerned, was the episode that tipped you over the one where Patty can't speak for a week? That's my favorite one by quite a bit. Ironic that the funniest episode was one where Patty couldn't speak (but unusual episodes often bring out the best), but Richard did a killer job making up for it. I always liked his Archie Andrews type character, but he really killed it on that one.

Incidentally, the Patty silent episode, was the last one of season two. It's none too rare for many series, that they pull off their best episodes as the very last one, to give you something to remember them by for the next year. I mean I just glanced over the episode on youtube again, and they REALLY took full advantage of that situation, even a sweet moment between Ross and Patty. There wasn't a dull moment in that episode, and it was non-predictable the whole way. I also have something of a special love for that episode, because it put Patty in some thing of a handicapped position, something my mother was all too familiar with (she having had the opposite problem, of not being able to hear. And really, the episode just magnifies the difficulty a lot of people being deaf or mute have with ordinary society [that they will be treated like crap]). It is VERY fitting also, to think Patty's big break came with her portrayal of Helen Keller. I'm curious if the idea for that episode actually came from Patty or not.

Oh no, I was incorrect, Patty only had to be silent for seventy-two hours, but so much happens on the episode, it seems like a week.
It's all like new for me as I try to not watch the same episode of a show for at least 10 years. I've watched Dr. Who but not the David Tennant series that I'll be starting with on the 28th so that will be completely new. The Patty Duke episode was a different one but thanks to your description I'm looking forward to watching that one. I think the thing that makes the show so enjoyable to me isn't a specific episode but her confidence and boundless youthful enthusiasm and a screen presence that many actors never achieve let alone ones at such a young age. I also really enjoy the personality contrast she achieves with the Patty and Cathy characters, she was such a talented actress.

The Patty Duke Show A Slight Case of Disaster S1E30
Patty gets an expensive dress for a school dance. But before Patty can pay for it Cathy borrows the dress, with disastrous results.

Patty and her double
1637149280999.png

Group photo of the cast

1637149399744.png

1637149574022.png

I always enjoy William Schallert

1637149652113.png

Characterizes the playful confidence of Patty Lane

1637149700612.png

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Father Knows Best
"Betty's Jet Pilot" (S3E23)

Betty (Elinor Donahue) has the hots for an Army jet pilot. Contrary to her pristine image, she has a thing for fast guys in zippered suits. Betty meets Lt. Charles Baron (Peter Walker) when she returns the helmet he lost to the airfield where he's stationed. Sparks fly when the Lieutenant does a quick recon on Betty's sweater missiles.

In order to get closer to the girl, Charles takes Bud (Billy Gray) up in his F-86 Sabre that reaches speeds of...wait for it...nearly 400 mph! Bud thanks Charles by passing out and puking in the cockpit. The Army will later sell the jet to Bolivia at a highly reduced price. But at least this gets Charles an invite to the Anderson house and a chance to "date" Betty. In 1960, "date" was a euphemism for getting to 3rd base in the back seat of a Chevy. Betty begins to moon around the house in near persistent lust, proudly wearing Charles' military wings like a fraternity pin. He, in turn, proceeds to waste military fuel and flight time by constantly buzzing the house to dip his wings in salute to Betty.

1637154245845.jpeg
1637154271651.jpeg
images

Charles checks out Betty's fuselage; Bud clears the vomit from his mask; "You let him do WHAT?"

Jim and Margaret (Robert Young, Jane Wyatt) begin to worry that perhaps Betty is letting Charles in on what's underneath her poodle skirt. The charges on Jim's Visa card for Betty's overnight stays at the Motel 6 is a red flag. One might think Charles is dipping more than just his wings with her. But what really throws Jim and Margaret in a tizzy is Betty and Charles going on a picnic together. Oh the lascivious horror of it!
As Betty explains to Jim, "For the first time in my life, I'm in love--just like you and Mom." Jim nearly snorts in disgust.

Not to worry. Before Betty can even get the wet spots on her dress dry cleaned, Charles announces he's being transferred to Alaska--where the Army sends pilots for abusing underage girls. Betty is understandably heartbroken. To signal he's leaving, Charles flies over the Anderson house one last time, accidently dumping Bud's vomit from the earlier flight.

What do you call a girl who hangs around military airbases?
Betty and the jets.

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
It's all like new for me as I try to not watch the same episode of a show for at least 10 years. I've watched Dr. Who but not the David Tennant series that I'll be starting with on the 28th so that will be completely new. The Patty Duke episode was a different one but thanks to your description I'm looking forward to watching that one. I think the thing that makes the show so enjoyable to me isn't a specific episode but her confidence and boundless youthful enthusiasm and a screen presence that many actors never achieve let alone ones at such a young age. I also really enjoy the personality contrast she achieves with the Patty and Cathy characters, she was such a talented actress.

The Patty Duke Show A Slight Case of Disaster S1E30
Patty gets an expensive dress for a school dance. But before Patty can pay for it Cathy borrows the dress, with disastrous results.

Patty and her double
View attachment 119025

Group photo of the cast

View attachment 119026

View attachment 119027

I always enjoy William Schallert

View attachment 119028

Characterizes the playful confidence of Patty Lane

View attachment 119029

Hmm, her double is about as close as you would expect, given her face never saw the camera. She has slightly smaller eyebrows, a narrower nose, and darker eyes. The only thing that annoyed me about that show, is so much of the time you're looking at the back of somebody's head (the double), but despite how much it annoys me, you have to admire a bit the nerve to actually do that, because the rest of Hollywood is obsessed with us always seeing the sides or front of people's faces, which isn't bad, but it does get quite unrealistic when you think about it.

As for Schallert, I like his being around tv for so long, but that also works against him as well in my book, because he always seemed like he was part of the wallpaper to me😁. He wasn't exactly a William Shatner🤣. I did think, for his limited role in TPDS, that he did a very good job there. And yes, Jean Byron was quite fine. I liked the Ross character too, but I think that was the one place where the show had a lot to give, was making Ross a larger character than he was. He had one or two significant episodes, and other then that he was pretty much just there. I guess they just didn't feel they could squeeze him in much with Patty taking two roles (or more). BTW, I thought Patty was pretty much an airhead. Cathy was the hottie! I'm curious which personality, if either, the real Patty was. I suspect she was sort of multi-personality anyway, and she might had actually varied between the cool quiet-spoken one and the chatter box.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Episode Commentary
Father Knows Best
"Betty's Jet Pilot" (S3E23)

Betty (Elinor Donahue) has the hots for an Army jet pilot. Contrary to her pristine image, she has a thing for fast guys in zippered suits. Betty meets Lt. Charles Baron (Peter Walker) when she returns the helmet he lost to the airfield where he's stationed. Sparks fly when the Lieutenant does a quick recon on Betty's sweater missiles.

In order to get closer to the girl, Charles takes Bud (Billy Gray) up in his F-86 Sabre that reaches speeds of...wait for it...nearly 400 mph! Bud thanks Charles by passing out and puking in the cockpit. The Army will later sell the jet to Bolivia. But at least this gets Charles an invite to the Anderson house and a chance to "date" Betty. In 1960, "date" was a euphemism for getting to 3rd base in the back seat of a Chevy. Betty begins to moon around the house in near persistent lust, proudly wearing Charles' military wings like a fraternity pin. He, in turn, proceeds to waste military fuel and flight time by constantly buzzing the house to dip his wings in salute to Betty.

View attachment 119043 View attachment 119044
images

Charles checks out Betty's fuselage; Bud clears the vomit from his mask; "You let him do WHAT?"

Jim and Margaret (Robert Young, Jane Wyatt) begin to worry that perhaps Betty is letting Charles in on what's underneath her poodle skirt. The charges on Jim's Visa card for Betty's overnight stays at the Motel 6 is a red flag. One might think Charles is dipping more than just his wings with her. But what really throws Jim and Margaret in a tizzy is Betty and Charles going on a picnic together. Oh the lascivious horror of it!
As Betty explains to Jim, "For the first time in my life, I'm in love--just like you and Mom." Jim nearly snorts in disgust.

Not to worry. Before Betty can even get the wet spots on her dress dry cleaned, Charles announces he's being transferred to Alaska--where the Army sends pilots for abusing underage girls. Betty is understandably heartbroken. To signal he's leaving, Charles flies over the Anderson house one last time, accidently dumping Bud's vomit from the earlier flight.

What do you call a girl who hangs around military airbases?
Betty and the jets.
There's a fly in your ointment Russ. Motel 6 didn't start until 1962, and this was done in '60, unless, of course, Betty had dibs on a time machine for her slutty rendezvous. It was the one way if she got caught, she could claim it was her alibi (you can't get blamed for something that's, sort of, yet to happen). Betty and the Jets?🤣🤣.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Rifleman
"Six Years and a Day" (S3E15)

I hate doctors. Their entire reason for existence centers on belittling their patients' lifestyle choices. You're too fat. Your blood pressure sucks. Your pee is the color of Finnegan's rainbow. You drink too much. Your heart sounds like an offshore oil derrick. Your bowel movements consist entirely of biscuits and gravy. On and on it goes. I look forward to my scheduled doctor visits as I would an exploratory root canal. Just let me wither and die floating in my own toxic body fluids.

North Fork's Doc Burrage is out of town at an inconvenient time. Sarah Marsden is about to give birth and having significant distress. In addition, Lucas, Mark and the Marsdens are being held prisoners by Jack Cooke (John Larch), who's awaiting the return of Doc Burrage so as to extract some sort of revenge on the man. While waiting, Jack takes to sampling Lucas' extensive liquor inventory--tumblers of Johnny Walker Blue, Crown Royal and some cheap Dark Eyes Vodka that Mark (Johnny Crawford) had secretly stashed behind the wash stand.

1637242142070.jpeg
1637242177811.jpeg
images

Sarah vows no more children!; Lucas makes Jack smell his underwear to sober up; Mark practices the Texas Two Step

Turns out that Jack Cooke was once a renown surgeon until drink got in his way. Doc Burrage testified against him six years ago, so Jack was subsequently removed from the AMA but warmly excepted into Elk Lodge No. 145. Lucas listens to Jack's sob story with the empathy of a Nazi prison camp guard. Meanwhile, poor Sarah is writhing and moaning as if trying to give birth to a Brunswick bowling ball. It's time for Lucas to slap Jack into some sense of sobriety to help Sarah and perhaps play a decent game of Parcheesi afterwards.

Poor Jack Cooke, already feeling like the last fly on a dog turd, finally turns his attention and skill at tending to Sarah, albeit with hands as steady as a manicurist on crack. In the end, he successfully delivers Sarah's child--a 42 lb. boy who will later grow up to be middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears. Mark, who witnesses the messy birth, will eventually need therapy for a large portion of his life.

The Moral: As a reformed man, Jack Cooke becomes the US Surgeon General and Head Elk at Local 145.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Hmm, her double is about as close as you would expect, given her face never saw the camera. She has slightly smaller eyebrows, a narrower nose, and darker eyes. The only thing that annoyed me about that show, is so much of the time you're looking at the back of somebody's head (the double), but despite how much it annoys me, you have to admire a bit the nerve to actually do that, because the rest of Hollywood is obsessed with us always seeing the sides or front of people's faces, which isn't bad, but it does get quite unrealistic when you think about it.

As for Schallert, I like his being around tv for so long, but that also works against him as well in my book, because he always seemed like he was part of the wallpaper to me😁. He wasn't exactly a William Shatner🤣. I did think, for his limited role in TPDS, that he did a very good job there. And yes, Jean Byron was quite fine. I liked the Ross character too, but I think that was the one place where the show had a lot to give, was making Ross a larger character than he was. He had one or two significant episodes, and other then that he was pretty much just there. I guess they just didn't feel they could squeeze him in much with Patty taking two roles (or more). BTW, I thought Patty was pretty much an airhead. Cathy was the hottie! I'm curious which personality, if either, the real Patty was. I suspect she was sort of multi-personality anyway, and she might had actually varied between the cool quiet-spoken one and the chatter box.
I always thought Patty and Cathy were perfect compliments of each other. Patty being more action oriented and Cathy more of the thinker.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Episode Commentary
The Rifleman
"Six Years and a Day" (S3E15)

I hate doctors. Their entire reason for existence centers on belittling their patients' lifestyle choices. You're too fat. Your blood pressure sucks. Your pee is the color of Finnegan's rainbow. You drink too much. Your heart sounds like an offshore oil derrick. Your bowel movements consist entirely of biscuits and gravy. On and on it goes. I look forward to my scheduled doctor visits as I would an exploratory root canal. Just let me wither and die floating in my own toxic body fluids.

That's how many doctor's visits are for me as well!

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
That's how many doctor's visits are for me as well!
They're pretty much snakes AFAIC. Never any good news, and my blood pressure goes up 10-20 points every time I have to go. They have no qualms whatsoever about lying to you. Their total robotic submission to the CDC concerning covid, is truly concerning - no independent thought whatsoever, just push those pills buddy.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
The Eleventh Hour - Ann Costigan: A Duel In A Field Of White. In the debut episode of this 1962 series, Psychiatrist Wendell Corey must determine if Ann Costigan (Vera Miles) was insane when she murdered her husband or if she is faking it. Solid all the way through, many great moments. Looking forward to making my way through the rest of the season though I’m a little disappointed that Roger Perry is only in this episode. His intern character gets a lot of screen time and has a great rapport with Corey. Perry is one of those actors I’ve always found very likeable. Seeing as how he was married to both Jo Anne Worley and Joyce Bulifant, he must have appreciated a woman with a sense of humor.

Doctor Who - The Keys Of Marinus. Don’t recall ever having seen this William Hartnell story before, a good one.
Since this little bit of Perry appreciation, I’ve been happy to see him turn up on Emergency last week and Quincy today, both on Cozi TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks