What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I just finished up the first disc of Lawman. I have 5 discs.

The remaining episode were:
"The Substitute" with Whit Bissell (a comical episode: A drunk mature scholar is forced to become the new teacher of Laramie)

"The Stalker" (a survival episode: a bulky trapper is insulted and threatened at the saloon and kills by accident his aggressor so Dan Troop chases him in the forest)

"The Catalog Woman" (a film noir episode: a male crook disguised a woman widower cons and robs naive rich men in Laramie including Dan Troop posing as a decoy)

"The Cold One" with Michael Pate (a revenge episode: an escaped convict and a hardened criminal is on his way to Laramie to kill his treacherous wife)

"Porphyria's Lover" (a film noir episode: an escaped convict and educated man is madly in love with Miss Lily and harasses her) (It's done like John Brahm's The Lodger) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've been doing a Vera Miles marathon.

Marcus Welby MD (S1-"The Merely Syndrome"
Hawaii Five-O (S3-"Dear Enemy")
Mannix (S3-"Return To Summer Grove")
The FBI (S5-"The Swindler")
Twilight Zone (S1-"Mirror Image")
Medic (S1-"The Wild Intruder")
Ironside (S5-"In The Line Of Duty") (Boot)
Route 66 (S3-"Where Is Chick Lorimer, Where Has She Gone?")
Checkmate (S2-"The Crimson Pool")
Barnaby Jones (S6-"Resurrection")
Burke's Law (S2-"Who Killed The Horne Of Plenty?") (Boot)

That there's so much to sample is a testament not just to the scope of her career but to the scope of what's available on DVD!

mark-edk

Second Unit
This is kind of cheating because I'm not sure if it's old enough to qualify as 'classic' but I finished a rewatch of all five seasons of Alias. Show wasn't perfect but it hit some glorious highs. Actually it's a double cheat because I didn't watch it DVD or Blu; I watched my recently purchased HD iTunes downloads which are quite a step up from the DVDs.

Now working on a rewatch of another fave, VR.5, (mostly) home-recorded from the original Fox network showings. This is less of a cheat because I did make DVD-Rs out of my S-VHS tapes.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Streets of San Francisco, "Dead Air," OAD Thurs. Nov. 13, 1975 on ABC; this w/the late, great Larry Hagman as arrogant S.F. radio host Terry Vine; IMO, it's Larry as that arrogant radio host (his show-within-a-show was "Vine, Women and Song," on fictional station KYOL, FM 93) that makes this a very watchable show

(Screenshots from this episode within fourth-season, first-volume release, Disc 3; also part of condensed Streets all-in-one)

streetsdeadair1.jpg
streetsdeadair2.jpg
streetsdeadair3.jpg
streetsdeadair4.jpg
streetsdeadair5.jpg
streetsdeadair6.jpg
streetsdeadair7.jpg
streetsdeadair8.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Streets of San Francisco, "Dead Air," OAD Thurs. Nov. 13, 1975 on ABC; this w/the late, great Larry Hagman as arrogant S.F. radio host Terry Vine; IMO, it's Larry as that arrogant radio host (his show-within-a-show was "Vine, Women and Song," on fictional station KYOL, FM 93) that makes this a very watchable show

(Screenshots from this episode within fourth-season, first-volume release, Disc 3; also part of condensed Streets all-in-one)

View attachment 47612 View attachment 47613 View attachment 47614 View attachment 47615 View attachment 47616 View attachment 47617 View attachment 47618 View attachment 47619

Love the cravats Hagman is sporting. Your post reminds me that I need to start watching some more Streets of San Francisco...I have the first 2 seasons and have only barely scratched the surface on those sets.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Marcus Welby MD (S1-"The Merely Syndrome"
Hawaii Five-O (S3-"Dear Enemy")
Mannix (S3-"Return To Summer Grove")
The FBI (S5-"The Swindler")
Twilight Zone (S1-"Mirror Image")
Medic (S1-"The Wild Intruder")
Ironside (S5-"In The Line Of Duty") (Boot)
Route 66 (S3-"Where Is Chick Lorimer, Where Has She Gone?")
Checkmate (S2-"The Crimson Pool")
Barnaby Jones (S6-"Resurrection")
Burke's Law (S2-"Who Killed The Horne Of Plenty?") (Boot)

That there's so much to sample is a testament not just to the scope of her career but to the scope of what's available on DVD!

Nice line-up, Jack! Been a long time since I've seen you post one of your actor/actress marathons...

One of Ms. Miles most memorable TV starring roles for me was as the killer in the third season Columbo episode, "Lovely But Lethal." Good performance from her, though perhaps not one of her best hairstyles...

fe5bdb1ce8edcb712f98dcb3f5c10e1b.png

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just watched that again last night, too! (along with her "Dr. Kildare" that ended up being re-edited as the first episode of "Eleventh Hour".) I agree, that's not her best because it's clearly a red wig. And even though I've seen that episode many times before, last night was the first time I realized that her character is based on Arlene Dahl, who had mostly retired from acting by then to become a cosmetics executive/expert. And the red wig I'm sure was meant to make those familiar with Dahl go, "Oh, right!"

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Vera Miles marathon, Part 2! (and probably one more to come)

Dr. Kildare (S1-"The Eleventh Hour". I prefer the Kildare cut of the episode to it's re-edited version)
Columbo (S3-"Lovely But Lethal")
The Virginian (S1-"The Man Who Could Not Die")
Arrest And Trial (S1-"Isn't It A Lovely View")
Sam Benedict (S1-"Maddon's Folly". Critical as I was of many episodes of this series when I binged it last years, this human interest drama story I overlooked in my reviews and it's a good one).

It occurs to me that these kinds of marathons, and *especially* with someone like Miles is all but impossible with today's TV shows because TV shows really don't give us focal point guest star appearances any longer, nor do we see actors like a Miles whose career was chiefly defined by being a top-billed TV guest star mixed with the supporting role in the occasional film (but never a focal point. Of course if she had done "Vertigo" maybe that changes her career forever).

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

Vera Miles-wise, don't forget the 'monochrome' episodes:

"Revenge" (pilot) from Alfred Hitchcock Presents
"Mirror image" from The Twilight Zone
"Incident at the Buffalo Smokehouse" from Rawhide
"Fear in the Desert City" (pilot) from The Fugitive
"The Forms of Things Unknown" from The Outer Limits

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Already did "Mirror Image." AHP, Fugitive and Outer Limits are all "familiar" ones for me so they will likely come last after I feel like I've exhausted everything else I haven't looked at before. Outer Limits may in fact be the best way to segue into a Barbara Rush marathon!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Love the cravats Hagman is sporting. Your post reminds me that I need to start watching some more Streets of San Francisco...I have the first 2 seasons and have only barely scratched the surface on those sets.

I've got the all-in-one now, and I've got a lot to see (unfortunately, the version I have has all the discs on spindles, so the discs will be hard to handle).

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Gunsmoke - Season 2
What The Whiskey Drummer Heard (2.31) Vic Perrin as the whiskey drummer.
Cheap Labor (2.32) Andrew Duggan, Robert F. Simon. Interesting story and unusually violent attitude towards women/sister.
Moon (2.33) Philip Pine, Stafford Repp (Chief O'Hara)

Doctor Who - The Tom Baker Years - Season 12
Genesis Of The Daleks (12.11-16)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine -Season 6
Profit and Lace (6.23) Another Ferengi episode featuring Zek and Moogie - not a fan of this one
Time's Orphan (6.24) Another time anomaly featuring chronoton particles. Again not a fan. Looking forward to sharing the final two with my son and then moving on to the escalation/conclusion of the Dominion arc.

Jonny Quest
Pirates From Below (1.18)
Attack of the Tree People (1.19)
The Invisible Monster (1.20)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well this was how my "Miles to Go!" Festival ended!

20th Century Fox Hour-"Man On A Ledge" (YT). TV version of "14 Hours" with a much better ending than the film had.
Startime (S1-"Incident On A Corner") (YT)
Kraft Suspense Theatre (S1-"Sergeant Ryker") (YT)
Eleventh Hour (S1-"Beauty Playing a Mandolin Under A Willow Tree")
Frontier Circus (S1-"Lippizan")
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (S1-"Revenge")
The Fugitive ("Fear In A Desert City"-Unaired Pilot version)
The Outer Limits (S1-"The Forms Of Things Unknown")
The Man From UNCLE (S2-"The Bridge Of Lions Affair")
I Spy (S1-"Affair in T'Sien Cha")

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not exactly this week, but one significant one of last week-- another Streets of San Francisco show w/a pre-Dallas appearance: the second-season episode "The Hard Breed," OAD Saturday, Feb. 21, 1974 on ABC (big guest star in this one was the special one, the late Jim Davis [as Roy Johnson]; also watch for the late Keith Jackson on a Wide World of Sports show-within-a-show)

(screencaps from Season 2, Vol. 2 within Streets all-in-one)

streetshardbreed1.jpg
streetshardbreed2.jpg
streetshardbreed3.jpg
streetshardbreed4.jpg
streetshardbreed5.jpg
streetshardbreed6.jpg
streetshardbreed7.jpg
streetshardbreed8.jpg
streetshardbreed9.jpg
streetshardbreed10.jpg
streetshardbreed11.jpg
streetshardbreed12.jpg
streetshardbreed13.jpg

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm currently getting close to done with S3 of Charlie's Angels. I'm going to miss Sabrina. I know I'll get disagreement here, and I know every one of them were attractive, but I've always had a thing for Kate Jackson. Cheryl Ladd is my second choice, though she could easily tie with Kate, I guess. It's still a good show at what is basically it's midpoint, but it's starting to become a little bit formulaic and repetitive. I haven't watched much of S4 or S5, so I'm not exactly sure how it will hold up, although I always thought Shelley Hack was never that wonderful the few times I saw her. I hold her in the same vein I do Joe Besser for The Three Stooges-the character kept the show going, but not much else.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
My view is that once you get to Tanya Roberts, that's when Hack really seems to look better by comparison!
We shall see! I just know already I'm gonna miss Kate Jackson. I suppose it's like who replaces Shemp as the 3rd Stooge-no one is up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks