What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Continuing on my Brit TV kick...watched all four 25-minute parts of "The Beautiful People," the final story of the third series (season) of the 1970-1972 program, Ace of Wands. This is another show that had a large chunk of its episodes wiped (in this case, by either Thames TV or the ITV network). All 8 stories (26 episodes) from the first 2 seasons are sadly lost. What remains is the complete third season, which was released by Network on a DVD set with solid transfers, a nice making-of doc and an 88-page booklet about the show. Reputedly this 3rd series is not as good as the first two, but from what I've seen of it, it's still a fun, colorful show. Much like Doctor Who, Ace of Wands consists of several stories or serials, usually 3 to 4 episodes in length, with each episode ending in a cliffhanger. (The series itself ends on a cliffhanger, as the show was cancelled after this final story and replaced on the ITV schedule by The Tomorrow People - a practice that happens even more often today, in this modern age of serial storytelling.)

The show revolves around an illusionist named Tarot, who seems to also possess some real magical abilities, especially in telepathy and hypnotism. Tarot lives with a pet owl called Ozymandias and spends his time between magic shows taking on all manner of strange and nasty villains, or investigating odd and threatening events. Also akin to Doctor Who, he's assisted by a couple of younger pals, in this season photographer Chas and his dolly bird sister, Mikki. "The Beautiful People" of this story are a brother and his two sisters, an odd, detached trio who travel around having jumble sales and village fetes, giving expensive but free prizes out to poor pensioners. Their seeming philanthropy masks a sinister motive, however, and it's up to Tarot and friends to find out who they are, where they come from and what they are up to, before their cruel games become fatal.

aow-beautiful02.jpg

This is a very 70s show in every sense, with hair styles, fashions and lingo (courtesy of the snarky Chas) very much of the time, which just adds to its appeal as far as I'm concerned. By modern standards the pace is fairly sedate, but the story is original and intriguing. The leads make for an engaging group, with Michael Mackenzie possessing some decent charisma as the central hero. Edward Hammond is also good as the effete yet threatening villain, Jay. Being a early 70s British children's show (again, like Doctor Who, a children's show in name only), the budget and special effects are not first class by any means, but the writing, acting and ideas are all good, and the series can get nicely creepy from time to time. I had a good time with this show and would recommend it. Although the Region 2 DVD set is splendid and cheap, I suggest interested parties check out an episode or two on You Tube first (where you can find all existing episodes).

The theme song and credits are pretty dang groovy:

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
¶ I'm still into the first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea because I'm trying to explain to a friend
the overall quality of that season alone.

¶ So far I watched the first eleven episodes and the best ones of the bunch are related to espionage ("The Fear-Makers", "The Mist of Silence", "The Price of Doom", "Hot Line", "The Magnus Beam") and guest characters ("Submarine Sunk Here").
The ones I tend to stay away are related to abstraction (world catastrophy as in "Eleven Days to zero", “The City Beneath the Sea") or far-fetched situation with big beasts as in "Turn Back the Clock", "The Village of Guilt".

¶ I experienced again the masterpiece of volume 1: "Submarine Sunk Here".
It's realistic and gloomy like a real military submarine adventure. You witness real people in a predicament.

¶ I find the work of director Leonard Horn to be very engaging and Film Noir.
"The Fear-Makers", "The Mist of Silence", "The Sky is Falling, "Submarine Sunk Here", "The Magnus Beam".

¶ I still have to watch five more to complete the first set.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
My wife and I have been enjoying Here Come the Brides recently. I bought season 1 a long time ago and we have finally started watching it. It is sweet, corny, funny and touching all at the same time. We have watched 8 episodes so far and are looking forward to the remaining 18 as we have time to watch.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Beverly Hillbillies S1 E2: Getting Settled

In all of the years I've watched the show, I've never noticed the error, nor have I heard anyone else mention it. Look at the doors of the mansion behind Mr. Drysdale and Ellie Mae. That's not the same doors!!! A few seconds later, when they all walk in the mansion, the doors are the normal Clampett mansion doors. This screen grab isn't as good as what would be on the DVD; I grabbed this off YouTube from a public domain upload since my DVD is still in the player.
Getting Settled.jpg

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Night Gallery - Season 2
The Dark Boy / Keep In Touch - We'll Think of Something (2.10)
Pickman's Model / The Dear Departed / An Act Of Chivalry (2.11)
Cool Air / Camera Obscura / Quoth The Raven (2.12) Henry Darrow, Ross Martin, Rene Auberjunois
The Messiah On Mott Street / The Painted Mirror (2.13) Edward G. Robinson, Yaphet Kotto, Tony Roberts, Arthur O'Connell
The Different Ones / Tell David... / Lagoda's Heads (2.14) A TZ retread, Dana Andrews, Sandra Dee, Patrick MacNee, Jared Martin, Brock Peters, Denise Nicholas

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
¶ I'm still into the first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea because I'm trying to explain to a friend
the overall quality of that season alone.

I can't resist but to publish my overview of the masterpiece of volume 1.

Submarine Sunk Here
My single favourite one and the most realistic episode because of the inner tension and in the nadir of despair. An authentic slice of life with a first-rate climax. The situation is straight serious. There’s a real death threat. This is amok time.

It shows a case of human error that starts with a trouble-maker sailor (Cf. the behavior of sailor Clark in “Hot Line”) like this: sailor Evans (actor Carl Reindel) wants to visit his pregnant wife and asks the replacement exec Bishop (actor Paul Comi) about it but he refuses cold so Evans insists and it gets worst. It ends up with a fistfight, sonar man Blake leaves his post to cool off the situation and Bishop is left unconscious and injured while the vacant sonar screen spots a minefield. In the nose’s windshield, Nelson is surprised to see derelict mines and orders to back off. But the mine’s cable is fouled in the Seaview’s searching housing. A mini-sub is launched to cut the cable with a laser coming from its nose but the released mine touches another one with triggers an explosion and the mini-sub collides a mine which triggers a chain reaction of explosions.

The sub sinks, the engine room is flooded and the air purifier is badly damaged. Nelson orders sailor Harker to seal off a hatch leading to a flooded compartment with blocked sailors. Harker feels guilty. Crane orders O’Brien to release the Emergency Marker Buoy in which it is written down: “Submarine Seaview Sunk Here”. Sailors antagonize themselves: Blake (actor Robert Doyle) vs. Harker (actor Eddie Ryder), Harker vs. Evans. Chip Morton and Chief Jones work against the clock in New London to repair the diving bell. O’Brien has a stroke in the control room and Crane gives him some oxygen. Nelson has an accident in a flooded quarter and faints. Sailor Collins makes a fatal attempt to escape in the hatch of the missile room with Evans who refuses to get out. Feeling guilty, Blake sacrifies himself and locks himself and floods compartment 47 to adjust the balance of the sub.

Actor Robert Doyle returns as an uptight sailor from “The Fear-Makers” (also directed by Leonard Horn—the best director of season 1 who went on working for Mission: Impossible—and, here, Horn tilts the frame and dims the light). Find a new MD: Doctor Baines played by Wright King.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Odd Couple 1:4 The Jury Story
I really enjoy the short introductions that Garry Marshall does on these episodes. Garry Marshall comedies are so enjoyable to watch and such a contrast to the Norman Lear developed shows. Felix and Oscar tell their two dates about how they first met on jury duty.

Secret Agent Thursday Nikita 1:4 Rough Trade
Ordered the complete series on Blu-ray at a really good price when I first got my Blu ray player and have to say that I really enjoy this show. The disc has the ability to remember where you left off even if you take it out of the player and put it back in later, I wish more sets would have that ability. This episode had an interesting twist and some really good fight scenes.

Sue Thomas F.B. Eye 1:15 Prodigal Father
Very good show that ended too soon. Bobby has to reconcile with his estranged con man father to solve a case.

Hazel 3:8 George's 32nd Cousin
Just received season 3 and had to watch an episode. Diane Ladd plays a freeloading distant cousin that moves in on the Baxters. George can't get rid of her and allows Hazel to try.
Star Trek Friday Star Trek The Next Generation 2:4 The Outrageous Okona
Data Learns to laugh. the Enterprise meets a swashbuckler. Ships from two different planets threaten the Enterprise with Lasers.

Road to Avonlea 2:5 Old Quarrels, Old Love
This was by far my favorite episode last week. Hetty King's old beau comes back to town and rekindles a friendship with her despite her trying to hold on to an old grudge. In the end he leaves due to a terminal illness not wanting to be a burden. It was fun to see the two getting along at the end and how she changed from being bitter to being happy and how it changed her entire outlook.

Not Classic DVD episodes that I watched
Hawaii Five-0 1:4 "Lanakila" Victory
Heartland 10:1 There Will Be Changes

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Trying to find time to watch and digest all of the info (commentaries) for disc 3 of The Outer Limits - Season 1.

It Crawled Out Of The Woodwork (1.11) - Ed Asner, Barbara Luna, Michael Forest, Kent Smith. Creepy "bear"Pretty good scare fest.
The Borderland (1.12) - Even Peter Mark Richman couldn't keep me awake. A scientific "medium).
Tourist Attraction (1.13) - Creature From the Black Lagoon rip-off, not one of my favorites even though Henry Silva is featured.
The Zanti Misfits (1.14) - Bruce Dern, Robert F. Simon, Michael Tolan. One of the best. Nothing to complain about, love the "practiced executioner" line.
The Mice (1.15) - Henry Silva (again?), Diana Sands, Dabney Coleman. A tricky alien race wants to plunder earth. They teleport one advanced member to our planet to assess and then co-opt the planet. Lucky for us it doesn't work. Really creepy man in the Chromoite suit.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I watched a celebrity edition of Family Feud last night on YouTube. Dallas vs. Eight is Enough. It opened up with Linda Gray, Victoria Principal, Steve Kanaly, and Charlene Tilton holding Larry Hagman in mid-air. Once everyone was introduced from the cast, they "accidentally" dropped him. Later in the show Richard Dawson was talking to Charlene Tilton who said when she was 7 she started hanging around various movie studios and had met Richard, although he didn't remember it. He was filming Hogan's Heroes, and he managed to get her on set to watch filming, and then gave her all kinds of candy.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hardcastle and McCormick, third-and-final-season episode "Games People Play," OAD Nov. 11, 1985 on ABC (big guest star was Tom Kennedy as Bryce Benson, host of a quiz show called Trivia Master, which at the beginning of the episode had a $25K jackpot, then when Mark McCormick [Daniel Hugh-Kelly] played on it, it became Million-Dollar Trivia Master]).

Here's more on that from a site called Game Show Utopia:
http://www.game-show-utopia.net/hardcastle.htm

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I'm still aboard Seaview with Nelson and Crane. I finished up the first volume of season 1.
Find my top ten list for that set.

“Submarine Sunk Here”
“The Fear-Makers”
“Hot Line”
“No Way Out”
“The Blizzard Makers”
“Hail to the Chief”
“The Mist of Silence”
“The Price of Doom”
“The Sky is Falling”
“The Magnus Beam”

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Hardcastle and McCormick, third-and-final-season episode "Games People Play," OAD Nov. 11, 1985 on ABC (big guest star was Tom Kennedy as Bryce Benson, host of a quiz show called Trivia Master, which at the beginning of the episode had a $25K jackpot, then when Mark McCormick [Daniel Hugh-Kelly] played on it, it became Million-Dollar Trivia Master]).

Here's more on that from a site called Game Show Utopia:
http://www.game-show-utopia.net/hardcastle.htm

I've had that show on my radar for some time but never got to watch it. Any thoughts you have on it would be good to hear.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Barney Miller - Season 7
Homicide : Part 1 (7.1) Inspector Luger pushes for the 12th to be the main investigators for Homicide. It takes a toll on the men.
Homicide : Part 2 (7.2) Goodbye Mr. Cotterman, "He deserved better than this, ... from all of us!" Mr. Haddad
The Delegate (7.3)
Dorsey (7.4)
Agent Orange (7.5) Joe Regalbuto, Lyman Ward, Louis Giambalvo, Doris Roberts - great cast and a compelling episode. Wojo takes on bureaucrats.
Call Girl (7.6) Arthur Malet - didn't he guest in everything???
Resignation (7.7)

Not really a bad one in the bunch.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Still inside Seaview with Mr. Morton, Nelson and Crane, I just initiated the second set of season 1.
I launched the first torpedo entitled "The Last Battle" featuring a good ensemble of guest actors:
John Van Dreelen, Joe de Santis, Ben Wright and Rudy Solari.
I call that one Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea meets Stalag 17.

I also ordered the fourth and final season of the western series Lawman.
It's planned to be watched in July.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Death Valley Days - Season 13 - The Reagan Years
A Bell For Volcano (13.14)
The Trouble With Taxes (13.15) Royal Dano as an honest man
The Race At Cherry Creek (13.16) A newspaper race. Alvy Moore (Hank Kimball) in a dramatic supporting role.
Death In The Desert (13.17) Valentin de Vargas as an Indian??? (Touch of Evil)
Raid On The San Francisco Mint (13.18) Ronald Reagan guests on this one, a comical episode, enjoyable.
Magic Locket (13.19) June Lockhart and Kathy Garver in a very surprising episode, a favorite.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Still dealing with Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, so far, the best directors used to work on The Outer Limits:
  1. Leonard Horn ("The Fear-Makers", "The Mist of Silence", "The Sky is Falling, "Submarine Sunk Here", "The Magnus Beam")
  2. James Goldstone ("The Price of Doom")
  3. Felix Feist ("No Way Out")
  4. Gerd Oswald (" Hail to the Chief”)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Vega$, third-season episode "The Andreas Addiction," OAD Jan. 7, 1981 on ABC:

Someone has a vendetta against Dan Tanna, and spikes his health drink with angel dust and heroin, then takes him captive and chains him. Dan goes just plain bonkers under the effects-- IMO, that was something to see!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Gunsmoke - Season 2
Bloody Hands (2.21) Russell Johnson. (The Professor in a western???) Interesting, psychologically tinged drama.
Skid Row (2.22)
Sweet And Sour (2.23) Karen Sharpe. :dance: Gorgeous "bad" girl who just invites trouble and Matt can't see it.
Cain (2.24) A novel approach to the "I'm gonna die real soon" cliche.
Bureaucrat (2.25) John Hoyt and Ken Lynch, two favorite character actors involved in a compelling lesson about life in lawless towns.
Last Fling (2.26) Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ... .

Streets of San Francisco - Season 3
One Last Shot (3.1) Leslie Nielsen, Jacqueline Scott(Doc Kimbles's sis). Better than average "alcoholic" cop story. Nielsen at his sleazy/smarmy best.
The Most Deadly Species (3.2) Brenda Vaccaro, Joe Ruskin, Barry Sullivan, Dennis Patrick, Larry Manetti. Excellent cast.
Target: Red(3.3) Andrew Duggan, Bill Bixby, Linda Marsh, Byron Morrow. Unstable special forces story, with an odd romantic entanglement.
Mask of Death (3.4) John Davidson (cross dresser?), John Feidler, Herb Edelman, Bernie Kopell, Denny Miller

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks