What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mannix - Season 4
The Crime That Wasn't (4.18)
A Gathering of Ghosts (4.19)
A Day Filled With Shadows (4.20)

Streets of San Francisco - Season 2
Inferno (2.20)
The Hard Breed (2.21)
Rampage (2.22)
Death And The Favored Few (2.23)

The Outer Limits - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
Corpus Earthling (1.9)
Nightmare (1.10)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Anyway, back on topic.
Still working my way through the original Hawaii Five-0. Great show. Looks really good on DVD. Remastered I guess?

Indeed-- CBS' releases of O-R Jack Lord Five-O look splendid, and even better on an upscaling player; IINM, each of the releases states flat-out that the episodes are remastered.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I had planned to view some of the late Joseph Campanella's work, but the recent passing of one of my fave TV stars, Clint Walker, sent me on a different path. In honor of the big man, I watched the 1972 TV movie The Bounty Man. It was quite good, if a bit unusual in how its narrative plays out. A very fetching Margot Kidder co-starred, along with John Ericson, Richard Baseheart and (briefly) Gene Evans and Arthur Hunnicutt. Solidly directed by John Llewellyn Moxey, and Clint was in fine form as the hard-bitten bounty hunter (though he looked a bit odd to me with a moustache.)

Also watched 1974's Scream of the Wolf, with Clint in a rare villainous role (which he played very well, one of the best performances I've seen from him) as a big game hunter with an interesting, atavistic philosophy, who at first refuses to help his old hunter buddy Peter Graves track down some beast that's been murdering the local populace. Jo Ann Pflug and Phillip Carey also star in this very interesting and tense thriller from the winning team of writer Richard Matheson, producer/director Dan Curtis and composer Robert Cobert, who brought us many creepy 70s TV movies, including the all-time great The Night Stalker.

The+Underground+Man+-+Peter+Graves+and+Jo+Ann+Pflug.jpg

Also slowly working my way through the aforementioned, fabulously eerie 7-part Children of the Stones. Watching an episode every other night is working well. The credit sequence is freaky deaky...check it out:

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I’m watching them on my Sony and my Oppo 203. They both do a great job at upscaling. I’ve seen the term “remastered” but I don’t really know what it means.

Here's somewhat of an explanation from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaster#Film_and_television

And also, I forgot to put this on the original post, but here's the back of one of the Five-O seasonal releases where it states that the episodes are remastered...

fiveofourthseasonremastered.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I''ve been watching episodes from Man of the World, the short lived british series starring Craig Stevens (Peter Gunn), from the mid sixties, and from The Saint, season 3.

How is Man of the World, Jorge? Been eyeballing that series for a while now...hope to one day own most of the ITC catalog on DVD or Blu-Ray (think I'll pass on Shirley's World). Do you have the Network DVD set? How's the quality?

Have also been considering Ghost Squad, The Four Just Men and The Sentimental Agent.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Very good. A bit like Danger Man, but more easy going. Great production values... some of the episodes were filmed on location in different -and exotic- parts of the world. There's even a great color episode, apparently filmed as an experiment. In short, a very similar series to the equally short lived and well made Hong Kong, starring Rod Taylor, from the same era, although Taylo's character was an Australian journalist stationed in Hong Kong and Stevens' am internacionally recognized photographer.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I took something of a hiatus from classic-TV-watching for the last few months, mostly due to my job, some new series (The Americans: Final Season, Halt & Catch Fire: Final Season, Jessica Jones: Season 2, Outlander: Season 3, the new Lost in Space, the new Mystery Science Theater 3000) and the backlog of classic movies on my DVR (still too many!). However, I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things. Over the past three months, I watched:

Perry Mason: "The Case of the Haunted Husband" (Season 1, Episode 19, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Lonely Heiress" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Fugitive Nurse" (Season 1, Episode 22, 1958) DVD
Perry Mason: "The Case of the One-Eyed Witness" (Season 1, Episode 23, 1958) DVD
The Outer Limits: "The Galaxy Being" (Season 1, Episode 1, 1963) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Hundred Days of the Dragon" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1963) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Architects of Fear" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1963) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Man With the Power" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1963) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Sixth Finger" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1963) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Man Who Was Never Born" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1963) Blu-ray
The Fugitive: "Decision in the Ring" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1963) DVD
The Fugitive: "Smoke Screen" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1963) DVD
The Fugitive: "See Hollywood and Die" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1963) DVD
The Fugitive: "Ticket to Alaska" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1963) DVD
Coronet Blue: "Tomoyo" (1967, Episode 7 in production order) DVD
The Immortal: "White Elephants Don't Grow on Trees" (Episode 2, 1970) DVD
The Immortal: "Reflections on a Lost Tomorrow" (Episode 3, 1970) DVD
The Californians: "The Noose" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1957) DVR
The Californians: "The Avenger" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1957) DVR
77 Sunset Strip: "Nightmare" (Season 4, Episode 40, 1962) DVR
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jed Throws a Wingding" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1963) Streaming
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jed Plays Solomon" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1963) Streaming
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Duke Steals a Wife" (Season 1, Episode 22, 1963) Streaming
The Andy Griffith Show: "Cyrano Andy" (Season 1, Episode 21, 1961) Streaming
Dark Shadows: Episodes #682 - #695 (1969) DVD
Decoy: "Escape into Danger" (Episode 8, 1957) DVD
Decoy: "Necklace of Glass" (Episode 9, 1957) DVD
Dragnet: "The Big Explosion" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1967) DVD
Science Fiction Theater: "The Other Side of the Moon" (Season 1, Episode 39, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theater: "Signals From the Heart" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1956) DVD
In Search Of...: "The Ogopogo Monster" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1978) DVD

I also watched this classic 1960s TV commercial a lot in the last couple of days, since I monkeyed around with it a little--

:D

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Started watching Baa Baa Black Sheep last night. I watched it as a kid but haven’t seen it in probably 40 years. Enjoying it, I watched the pilot and the first episode. I got the entire first season at a thrift store for $6 along with the first three seasons of Mission Impossible for $3 each.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I honestly don’t know if I have ever seen any of the show, possibly reruns when I was young. I have a feeling I’ll like it as I’m into the classics from many moons ago. Mannix, Hawaii Five-0, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, Columbo, Rockford Files, etc.

Problem is as usual, so much to watch. Just started the complete Friends Blu-ray set. BBBS as mentioned earlier. Need to finish my TJ Hooker set, I’m in the last season there. Halfway through Mannix, about to start season 5. I usually watch about three hours of tv per night. Sometimes a movie and an episode or whatever I’m into, sometimes 3 or 4 episodes in a row.

And I need to see the last season of The Americans that came out this year...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You're not the only one-- there are a lot of things I have that I have barely even scratched the surface of, that as I said in another thread, I don't know if I'll ever break even!
I feel your pain... Every time I think "I'm done" another series I don't expect will be released, or there'll be a really good sale on one I'm interested in enough if the price is right, or one I never thought would unstall does. At least now I don't feel like I'm purchasing 3-5 for every one I'm watching. The pendulum has actually swung the other direction and I'm finally watching more than I'm purchasing - most months. But I still cringe a bit when I look over the "unwatched series/seasons" list to pick the next thing to watch. There's also lots of it I want to share with my grandkids but there's just not enough time to do that and get in the other stuff we do together (play board/video games, go to the park, visit caverns in the area, and more). I've resigned myself to making sure they at least get a sampling of a favorite series and leave it up to them to ask for more.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Which is why I sometimes purchase other things than discs from Amazon-- books, for instance; I may even get a game now and then.
I'm also guilty of having far too many unread books and unplayed games! At the rate I've been reading the past few years I have 10+ years of novels, a year or two of comics (I'm ~3 years behind on those), and a dozen or so games I purchased that are just sitting on the shelf - and that's just for the current console (an XBox 360 I inherited from my grandson when he got an XBox One - I also have ~15 for the Wii and ~30 for the computer and would have to build a "retro" computer system to play most of those as I'm not sure they'd run on Win10 [most are for Win98 and/or XP - I have the hardware, just not the inclination to spend the time on the build]). You could say I'm a bit "behind"...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm also guilty of having far too many unread books and unplayed games! At the rate I've been reading the past few years I have 10+ years of novels, a year or two of comics (I'm ~3 years behind on those), and a dozen or so games I purchased that are just sitting on the shelf - and that's just for the current console (an XBox 360 I inherited from my grandson when he got an XBox One - I also have ~15 for the Wii and ~30 for the computer and would have to build a "retro" computer system to play most of those as I'm not sure they'd run on Win10 [most are for Win98 and/or XP - I have the hardware, just not the inclination to spend the time on the build]). You could say I'm a bit "behind"...

Looks like we're kindred spirits!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Looks like we're kindred spirits!
I guess that's why we all end up on HTF everyday. I figured out that if I never bought another book, movie, TV show or piece of music again, I could listen, read or watch something new everyday until I died.

I enjoy reading the reviews of shows I never watched before. I have made the majority of my recent TV show DVD purchases based on the enthusiasm of fellow board members here. I'm still hoping for a release of 77 Sunset Strip based on the loyal fans of the show here. Alan has me watching Barnaby Jones again after I stopped at season 5 because of his wonderful reviews. (I'm not a fan of J.R.).

So I'll keep adding room for more DVDs on the shelf as the reviews keep coming in. Maybe it's more fun to sample a large number of shows rather than watch a complete series? (I'm still on season one of Perry Mason. I've owned the complete series for years.:()

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks