What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

mark-edk

Second Unit
I was a Hardy Boys kid. I don't remember if it was the Disney serial that hooked me, or the book that was in our basement bookcase for as far back as I can remember: 'The Great Airport Mystery'. But I was hooked and eventually read (and collected) all the books, wishing I could live a life as exciting as Frank and Joe. I remember watching the ABC series when it aired; by then I no longer had the books but thought the show was good enough to relive some of the spirit of the stories. I even watched the Nancy Drew segments, though I'd never read even a single book of hers.

I stumbled across the Canadian Hardy & Nancy shows on Tubi; pretty bad at first, but they both improved as they went on, Nancy more so than the Hardys, tho Nancy was badly miscast. Eventually I figured I'd rewatch the ABC series; I had the DVDs but never even opened the boxes. (A few years ago, I must admit, I re-collected all the Hardy Boys books...the originals, not the watered-down rewrites.) An inconsistent series. One episode thoroughly in the spirit of the books might be followed by some silliness with Joe Hardy singing song after song as Frank Hardy competes in a surfing competition! An actual Hardy Boys book was the source of one of the early episodes. Overall the season was fairly good, and Nancy's episodes were even better. Pamela Sue Martin didn't look like the book's Nancy but the stories were generally better than the Hardy shows. Good casts, with a lot of well known names, and in that episode where she goes under cover at a carnival, the photography really DID make it look like Pam was actually riding that motorcycle and spinning in the out-of-control carnival ride (maybe she was). Another good ep involved reviving a play with all the original stars returning and they all share a dark secret.

Season two found the Hardys on a world tour that Charlie Chan himself would have envied. Almost every episode found them in a different country, and all this away time meant that the few glimpses of family and friends (Aunt Gertrude, Callie Shaw, Chet Morton etc) in season one were no more. Pamela Sue Martin got upset that she was being short-changed: reduced to guest-star status in Hardy Boys episodes and fewer Nancy Drew eps. So she quit halfway through and moved on to do a Playboy spread. Nancy got a few more appearances via Janet Louise Johnson. Unfortunately, this is like the Assistant Stage Manager taking over for the Broadway star. Janet didn't have the spark or confidence of Pamela and both shows declined as the season progressed. One episode was designed around footage from a Universal TV film 'The Lost Flight'. Another was similarly built around fire footage from 'Emergency!'.

Season three was a revamp: Nancy is out, Hardy Boys are now troubleshooting investigators for the Justice Department. It kicked off with a boring, maudlin seemingly-endless two-parter with Joe's fiancé killed on the day before their wedding. This may have been inspired by the Hardy Boys 'Casefiles' series where Iola Morton bit the dust thanks to a terrorist's bomb, but on tv it was a mess. Increasingly preposterous escapades led to the show filming only ten episodes. The DVDs, fine in the first two seasons, are pretty poor in season three. Smeary, low-resolution syndication prints, with several minutes missing from each episode. One high point in a disappointing season: In 'Assault on the Tower' Patrick Macnee played 'the man with the umbrella', a British agent whose name is never mentioned (they'd probably have to get permission to do that) but looks and acts exactly like you-know-who.

Lots of guest stars on the show, many of them old-timers (an apparent attempt to attract adult viewers). A visit to Hollywood (as a way to publicize the Universal Studios tour) found them running into Robert Wagner, Jacyln Smith, and Dennis Weaver in cameos--kind of tacky but entertaining, which describes more than one episode of this show. Future stars seen over the series run included Jamie Lee Curtis, Melanie Griffith, Mark Harmon, and Anne Lockhart. Producer Glen Larson used many Hardy/Nancy guest stars on Battlestar Galactica.

Mystery of the Fallen Angels-s01e10.jpg The House on Possessed Hill-s02e15.jpg The Mystery of the Solid Gold Kicker-s01e14.jpg The Last Kiss of Summer part one-s03e01.jpg

It's worth noting the influence of Disney's original Hardy Boys serial. Though Mrs Hardy is alive and well throughout the original books, in the serial Disney made Fenton Hardy a widower. This tradition was carried on in this ABC series and the later Canadian version.

Speaking of Disney, in looking up info on Nancy Drew I found something I hadn't heard of. Disney did a tv-movie pilot for a Nancy Drew series with Maggie Lawson (of Psych fame) as the intrepid young investigator now enrolled at River Heights University. There's a bad copy on youtube (even worse than the season three Hardy DVDs) but for my money it treats Nancy better than either of the two recent movie attempts to reboot the franchise. (My introduction to Nancy was Bonita Granville, still hard to top that.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oh, man, I highly, HIGHLY recommend getting the Miss Marple Blu-Rays if at all possible, Howie. They were completely remastered in HD like Poirot and the Brett Holmes episodes, and look amazing! Unfortunately, they never seem to drop in price...and Volume 1 seems to be currently OOP. :( (There do seem to be some on eBay for around $35).
They're from BBC America. They rarely drop anything's price. The DVDs dropped to a great price a few months back but I'd already somewhat overextended my purchases for that month so had to pass them up. While I'd like BRs I'd also be quite happy with the remastered DVD sets, especially at the premium BBC America charges for them. I got the DVDs of Poirot for the same reason and am quite happy with the quality.
Amazon dropped the price of the DVD set to $44.97 today. Tentatively ordered as that's one of the lowest prices it's been (the low was ~$35 last Christmas season and ~$37 this past March) and I really like Joan Hickson as Miss Marple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Pamela Sue Martin got upset that she was being short-changed: reduced to guest-star status in Hardy Boys episodes and fewer Nancy Drew eps.
Sort of what Valerie Harper would complain about regarding the mid-late-80s NBC comedy that had her name, IIRC (that the producers were not letting her run her own show, and pushing Jason Bateman over her).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I was a Hardy Boys kid. I don't remember if it was the Disney serial that hooked me, or the book that was in our basement bookcase for as far back as I can remember: 'The Great Airport Mystery'. But I was hooked and eventually read (and collected) all the books, wishing I could live a life as exciting as Frank and Joe. I remember watching the ABC series when it aired; by then I no longer had the books but thought the show was good enough to relive some of the spirit of the stories. I even watched the Nancy Drew segments, though I'd never read even a single book of hers.
Great overview of The Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew Mysteries, Mark! I enjoy the first one and a half seasons of this show (once Pamela Sue Martin leaves, my interest in Nancy Drew wanes, no offense to the replacement actress). They're good, late '70s cheesy fun. The first season is the strongest, but some of those Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew crossovers in S2 are quite enjoyable, especially the opening "...Meet Dracula" two-parter. Haven't watched any of S3 and have no plans to, as having Frank and Joe working gritty cases for the F.B.I. seems to rid the show of any of its already tiny remaining resemblance to the books.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Haven't watched any of S3 and have no plans to, as having Frank and Joe working gritty cases for the F.B.I. seems to rid the show of any tiny remaining resemblance to the book characters.
Me either-- not even worth touching on DVD (not just for the sharp change of focus, but because, as mentioned before by others, of how that final partial go looks on DVD [horrible picture quality, syndie episodes]).

Rustifer

Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
It's worth noting the influence of Disney's original Hardy Boys serial. Though Mrs Hardy is alive and well throughout the original books, in the serial Disney made Fenton Hardy a widower.
Man, oh man...you've hit on one of my favorite subjects from my youth---The Hardy Boys. I, too, was an avid Hardy Boys book reader, having read every one at least three times or more. I still re-read some of my favorites like What Happened At Midnight and The Shore Road Mystery, much to the amusement of my wife and grown kids who think I'm rapidly slipping into some sort of early onset pre-puberty dementia. I just finished the atmospheric House on the Cliff.

I was enthralled at the original Mousketeers Club Hardy Boys series rendition of The Tower Treasure. Its black and white simplicity and 1950's setting just blew away the slicker but less accurate 1970's version with Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy. Ugh!--As bad as the more recent updates to the Grosset & Dunlap books that attempted to make the boys and their environment more "modern"--which completely destroyed their original charm. I'm glad I kept all my original volumes.
1600694523798.png
1600694554830.png
1600694578107.png

Fenton and the boys the way they SHOULD look; Great opening credits and theme; Joe's main squeeze Iola Morton

My biggest hope is that Disney+ will soon stream the Mousketeers Club version, as they have with the Spin & Marty series. I shall eagerly watch while wearing dungarees, flannel shirt and high-top Keds..

Rustifer

Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Maverick
"The Lonesome Reunion" (S2E29)

I have to admit that Bret Maverick is one cool dude. There's no kerfuffle he can't escape, no dazzling dame he can't woo, no poker hand he can't beat and no dandy he can't outdress. He does it all with flair and a healthy dose of humor while maintaining a perfect $150 haircut and spotless ruffled shirt. Even on our best day, most of us can't touch this guy. Warner Bros. outdid themselves in developing James Garner's character, despite his calling it quits after three of the series five seasons. The show suffered significantly for it. Who is the tall dark stranger there? It sure as hell wasn't Robert Colbert's Brent Maverick...the on ramp to jumping the shark.

As Bret struggles to pay off his hotel debt of $57.40 (which is probably the cost of an entire year's stay back then), he bumps into a pretty lady (Joanna Barnes) with a hatbox in hand. She confesses to being followed and offers Brett $100 to safeguard her and her hatbox, which supposedly contains documents proclaiming rights to a large silver mine in Wyoming. Maverick obliges, only to discover the hatbox actually contains...a hat. Somehow this whole event is tied to $120,000 in stolen money. The lady, Abigail, is in cahoots with escaped prisoner / bank robber Maxwell (John Russell sans pencil-thin moustache), who takes Maverick's clothes and money. It's just another in a string of bad luck for Brett. Eventually his skill in poker affords him enough dough to get back on his feet.

1600698345964.png
1600698392618.png
1600698421890.png

Joanna Barne's figure is enough to knock the moustache off John Russell; Gotta pay the hotel bill with more than poker chips; Some days are like having a shotgun pointed at you

With a load of misused curiosity, Maverick resolves to follow up on the missing $120,000. The key is to re-find Abigail and the notorious Maxwell--both who have hotfooted to the town of Lonesome, where apparently the stolen cash is buried. Turns out Abigail is married to one of the bank robbers, unknowing that Maxwell has already killed him. Maxwell displays the temperament of a man who could start a fight with an empty room. Luckily, Maverick overhears where the moola is hidden and determines to dig it up.

Well, things get pretty complicated at this point--so much so I'm too lazy to spell it out in detail, which includes a hard-bitten female deputy with the disposition of a persimmon. She promptly sticks Bret in Jail. As with most Maverick episodes, his wit, charm and ingenuity overcomes all obstacles that most others would have thrown in the towel on. In the end, Maverick digs up the cash and turns it over to the deputy for a handsome reward. And what of Abigail? Some loose ends are best left as such.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jason King – 1.1 “Nadine”
Jason King (the one and only Peter Wyngarde), famous crime fiction writer and occasional solver of impossible mysteries himself, is sent to Athens by his long-suffering publisher, where he finds himself being steered into the romantic orbit of a stunning but aloof beauty (Ingrid Pitt), in a scheme orchestrated by a gang of drug traffickers. King plays along, partly because his playboy nature can't resist dallying with such a seductive siren, and partly because the unfolding mystery is getting the creative juices flowing for his far behind schedule novel.

Most ITC shows would have already thrown in a couple of murders, a car chase, a fight or a kidnapping by the time that this episode’s plot finally lurches into gear and we see Pitt’s smooth operator, Nadine, sidle up to Jason King. But there’s something about the languorous pace and Peter Wyngarde’s droll demeanor which gradually weaves a spell…and once the plot does kick in, this proves to be a rather interesting and fun little caper that sets up the premise well. Jason King is a lover, not a fighter, more brains than brawn, and a sharp cookie in his own right, staying several steps ahead of the baddies, never breaking a sweat nor spilling a drop of champagne. Ms. Pitt displays her ample cleavage, tosses her lustrous hair, and bats her big eyes alluringly as the mysterious Nadine. She can be a terrible actress (witness her work in The Zoo Gang's "Mindless Murder" or the Peter Davison Doctor Who story "Warriors of the Deep"), but she's pretty effective here, as someone who's willing to use her feminine wiles for money, but who draws the line at murder. Anne Sharp is charming as King’s publisher, who would go on to appear another half-dozen times in the series. (Sharp was married to Monty Berman, penny-pinching producer of this show, plus many others in the ITC stable, including Randall and Hopkirk - Deceased, The Baron, The Champions and, of course, Department S). Patrick Mower and Alfred Marks guest star.

Speaking of cheap productions...unlike Department S, Jason King's extensive European location footage is undermined by the series being filmed in 16mm instead of the usual 35mm (something of a rarity for ITC, with only fellow '70s efforts The Protectors and The Adventurer suffering the same fate). The transfers on Network's DVD set look fine, though will likely never see the light of day on Blu-Ray. That said, while it's a series very different in tone and feel from its predecessor, Department S, it's enjoyable enough taken on its own terms, helped immeasurably by the charisma of star Peter Wyngarde, who - despite his poodle wig and garish, ultra-groovy early '70s fashions - remains eminently watchable. He's obviously having a ball playing Jason King, and his dry wit and bon vivant nature keeps this light confection afloat.

INGRID PITT 1.jpg
jason king.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
Maverick
"The Lonesome Reunion" (S2E29)

I have to admit that Bret Maverick is one cool dude. There's no kerfuffle he can't escape, no dazzling dame he can't woo, no poker hand he can't beat and no dandy he can't outdress. He does it all with flair and a healthy dose of humor while maintaining a perfect $150 haircut and spotless ruffled shirt. Even on our best day, most of us can't touch this guy. Warner Bros. outdid themselves in developing James Garner's character, despite his calling it quits after three of the series five seasons. The show suffered significantly for it. Who is the tall dark stranger there? It sure as hell wasn't Robert Colbert's Brent Maverick...the on ramp to jumping the shark.
This one sounds great, Russ - excellent job on your summary! No arguments from me, James Garner lights up the screen as Bret Maverick...and of course, would do it all over again as Jim Rockford a decade-plus later.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Man, oh man...you've hit on one of my favorite subjects from my youth---The Hardy Boys. I, too, was an avid Hardy Boys book reader, having read every one at least three times or more. I still re-read some of my favorites like What Happened At Midnight and The Shore Road Mystery, much to the amusement of my wife and grown kids who think I'm rapidly slipping into some sort of early onset pre-puberty dementia. I just finished the atmospheric House on the Cliff.

I was enthralled at the original Mousketeers Club Hardy Boys series rendition of The Tower Treasure. Its black and white simplicity and 1950's setting just blew away the slicker but less accurate 1970's version with Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy. Ugh!--As bad as the more recent updates to the Grosset & Dunlap books that attempted to make the boys and their environment more "modern"--which completely destroyed their original charm. I'm glad I kept all my original volumes.
View attachment 78877 View attachment 78878 View attachment 78879
Fenton and the boys the way they SHOULD look; Great opening credits and theme; Joe's main squeeze Iola Morton

My biggest hope is that Disney+ will soon stream the Mousketeers Club version, as they have with the Spin & Marty series. I shall eagerly watch while wearing dungarees, flannel shirt and high-top Keds..
I, too, read The Hardy Boys *and* Nancy Drew as my sister was a fan of that series and I was an avid reader so why not? I've not re-read any of them since I was a kid but I remember them being fairly quick reads (never taking more than a few days). I still have a couple of my old books and should re-read them. I never could get my kids interested in either series and haven't even tried with the grandkids.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Jason King – 1.1 “Nadia”
Jason King (the one and only Peter Wyngarde), famous crime fiction writer and occasional solver of impossible mysteries himself, is sent to Athens by his long-suffering publisher, where he finds himself being steered into the romantic orbit of a stunning but aloof beauty (Ingrid Pitt), in a scheme orchestrated by a gang of drug traffickers. King plays along, partly because his playboy nature can't resist dallying with such a seductive siren, and partly because the unfolding mystery is getting the creative juices flowing for his far behind schedule novel.

Most ITC shows would have already thrown in a couple of murders, a car chase, a fight or a kidnapping by the time that this episode’s plot finally lurches into gear and we see Pitt’s smooth operator, Nadia, sidle up to Jason King. But there’s something about the languorous pace and Peter Wyngarde’s droll demeanor which gradually weaves a spell…and once the plot does kick in, this proves to be a rather interesting and fun little caper that sets up the premise well. Jason King is a lover, not a fighter, more brains than brawn, and a sharp cookie in his own right, staying several steps ahead of the baddies, never breaking a sweat nor spilling a drop of champagne. Ms. Pitt displays her ample cleavage, tosses her lustrous hair, and bats her big eyes alluringly as the mysterious Nadia. She can be a terrible actress (witness her work in The Zoo Gang's "Mindless Murder" or the Peter Davison Doctor Who story "Warriors of the Deep"), but she's pretty effective here, as someone who's willing to use her feminine wiles for money, but who draws the line at murder. Anne Sharp is charming as King’s publisher, who would go on to appear another half-dozen times in the series. (Sharp was married to Monty Berman, penny-pinching producer of this show, plus many others in the ITC stable, including Randall and Hopkirk - Deceased, The Baron, The Champions and, of course, Department S). Patrick Mower and Alfred Marks guest star.

Speaking of cheap productions...unlike Department S, Jason King's extensive European location footage is undermined by the series being filmed in 16mm instead of the usual 35mm (something of a rarity for ITC, with only fellow '70s efforts The Protectors and The Adventurer suffering the same fate). The transfers on Network's DVD set look fine, though will likely never see the light of day on Blu-Ray. That said, while it's a series very different in tone and feel from its predecessor, Department S, it's enjoyable enough taken on its own terms, helped immeasurably by the charisma of star Peter Wyngarde, who - despite his poodle wig and garish, ultra-groovy early '70s fashions - remains eminently watchable. He's obviously having a ball playing Jason King, and his dry wit and bon vivant nature keeps this light confection afloat.

View attachment 78884 View attachment 78885
OK... where's your caption for this one?
1600716784278.png

It should be: "Hey, buddy! I'm up here!"

I'd watch paint dry if Ingrid Pitt was sitting in front of it...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randall
Steve Canyon episode 9, Operation B-52 (Nov.15, 1958) W: Charles Beaumont, D: Arthur Hiller. Guest starring Richard Anderson, Sylvia Lewis, John Compton...

Colonel Steve Canyon is having a SH*T day on what should be an enjoyable assignment flying a B-52 on an around-the-world flight in a record-setting bid to prove the huge Boeing jet's global reach to drop an H-Bomb anywhere, anytime...the B-52 is a gas guzzler to beat them all, and thus will require at least 3 in-flight re-fuelings to accomplish the 25,000 mile flight...problem is, his B-52's re-fueling port is frozen over and he can't take on any fuel from the KC-97 tanker jet at the first rendevous point...Canyon also has a nagging efficiency expert from the Pentagon hovering over his shoulder, played to conceited and imperious perfection by Richard Anderson...this is the kind of guy that would make up defense secretary Robert McNamara's cadre of the "best and brightest" at the JFK/LBJ era Pentagon during the coming disastrous Vietnam war debacle...Canyon and his crew find themselves in a no-win position, too far from any suitable landing airfield, and left with the option of abandoning the big bomber via ejection...an embarrassing last resort, as Canyon notes it is "an 8 million dollar aircraft"...Canyon definitely wants to make General someday, and as his current boss at SAC (Strategic Air Command) is four-star general and WW2 legend Curtis Lemay, affectionally known as "Ironass" and said to be the real-life model for Dr. Strangelove's General Buck Turgidson, or even General Jack D. Ripper (ha, ha), Canyon will do anything to avoid losing the expensive jet bomber...and even in successful ejections from a B-52, serious injuries and even death can result, as explosive charges and a fuselage cutter are deployed to punch a man right through the aluminum fuselage at 500 mph...

In exotic French Morocco, where the USAF had a base in the less hate-filled era of the 50s, Col. Steve Canyon (Dean Fredericks) and his co-pilot (John Compton) are enjoying a night on the town, ogling a lovely dancer (Sylvia Lewis), they also meet the smarmy civilian Pentagon efficiency expert Ben Radin (Richard Anderson) before being briefed the next day on their round-the-world mission...my screen caps taken from the truly superb, independently released DVD sets produced by John Ellis from original 35mm film prints from the Milton Canniff estate...creator of the comic strip character Steve Canyon, and the earlier Terry and the Pirates...
Canyon 52.JPG

The Pentagon expert is one of these guys who prefers the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) as a means to nuking the Russkies back to the stone age...he thinks that the flesh and blood men of the SAC bomber force are the weak link in the Cold War...from a bygone age and now superseded by the missile era of the superpower space-race...this was a very hot debate at the time, an internal battle in the USAF between the bomber boys of General Curtis Lemay versus the missile men of General Bernard Schriever and former Nazi rocket scientist Dr. Werner Von Braun...with billions of $ in military procurement contracts at stake in what President Dwight D. Eisenhower would warn was a burgeoning "Military-Industrial Complex" in his immortal farewell address to the nation three days before JFK's inauguration in January 1961... Canyon gets a quick hate-on for the arrogant know-it-all...
Canyon 53.JPG

Canyon 54.JPG

Canyon eagerly looks forward to schooling the expert on the fact that the bomber boys can find their targets with greater accuracy than the rudimentary missiles then in development...and unlike a missile, a bomber can be recalled in the event some terrible mistake has set the stage for thermonuclear war...
Canyon 55.JPG

But all of that is now foiled by a frozen-up refueling probe...Canyon descends in a bid to find warmer air that can defrost the receptacle, but with no luck...they are quickly running out of gas, and too far from Elmendorf AFB in Alaska or Fairchild AFB at Spokane Washington...
Canyon 56.JPG

Canyon 58.JPG

Canyon 59.JPG

The embarrassing option of abandoning the 8 million dollar bomber just because they can't gas up looms...and Canyon also knows that the civilian expert is far less likely to successfully eject than his well-trained crew...the prospect of crashing the bomber and killing the know-it-all Pentagon expert really ruins Canyon's day...and probably his career as well...
Canyon 60.JPG

Canyon 61.JPG

Our hero has a brainwave...will it work? Canyon, with a white-knuckled grip on the yoke, maneuvers his bomber back into position for one last desperate attempt at refueling from the KC-97 tanker jet...
Canyon 62.JPG

Everyone gets a good sweat on, ha, ha...
Canyon 64.JPG

Canyon 63.JPG

Canyon, sweating bullets, saves the day by cranking the cockpit temp to 120 F, thawing out the probe receptacle above...the B-52 was renowned for it's cockpit heater, once remembered for making a pilot's seat cushion ignite in an uncontrollable fire over Greenland in 1968...the crew was forced to eject, leaving the bomber to crash on the icy tundra with it's 4 H-bombs onboard...no nuclear explosions resulted, but a very messy and expensive clean-up that took over a year was needed to recover the warheads and radioactive contamination...much like as at Palomares Spain in 1966, when a B-52 with 4 H-bombs collided inflight at night with it's refueling tanker...ultimately, the famous mini-submarine Alvin was needed to recover the last missing H-bomb from 2500 ft. underwater in the Mediterranean sea...
Canyon 65.JPG

Canyon 71.JPG

Canyon 72.JPG

Canyon 73.JPG

Canyon 74.JPG

Future Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominated director Arthur Hiller directed...he would win acclaim in coming years for such films as The Americanization of Emily, The Wheeler Dealers, Tobruk, The Out of Towners, Love Story, Man of La Mancha, The Hospital, Man in the Glass Booth, Silver Streak etc.,...this fine episode was written by Charles Beaumont (Burn Witch Burn, The Premature Burial, 7 Faces of Dr. Lao), who contributed memorable scripts for some of the most highly acclaimed episodes of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone (Perchance to Dream, Elegy, Long Live Walter Jamison, The Howling Man, Miniature, Etc.), before his premature death at age 38 in 1967...Dean Fredericks was perfect in the stoic and heroic title role of the beloved comic-strip character made flesh and blood...he was decorated for gallantry in WW2 while serving in the Pacific war...while Steve Canyon was his career signature role, he often played indian chiefs and ethnic types in the multitude of television westerns of the day, retiring from acting in 1965...Richard Anderson (Forbidden Planet, Paths of Glory, The Long Hot Summer, a Gathering of Eagles), among hundreds of TV and Movie credits, was of course best known as Oscar Goldman of The Six Million Dollar Man...and as Richard Kimble's brother-in-law in the epic two-parter finale of David Janssen's The Fugitive in the television ratings event of the sixties in 1967...

Watching these B-52 episodes of Steve Canyon, I almost half-expected Major "King" Kong of Dr. Strangelove to make an appearance, ha, ha...
1600723041039.png

1600723124222.png

Last edited:

Rustifer

Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Jason King – 1.1 “Nadia”
Once again, Jeff, I'm a bit jealous that I don't have access to some of these remarkable series that you highlight--whether on cable or DVD (which I still won't buy) because your screen caps are so intriguing. On this particular series, I have no idea who Ingrid Pitt is, but by golly I'd like to see more of her--literally. I'm definitely missing something there, dammit.

Rustifer

Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
I, too, read The Hardy Boys *and* Nancy Drew as my sister was a fan of that series and I was an avid reader so why not? I've not re-read any of them since I was a kid but I remember them being fairly quick reads (never taking more than a few days). I still have a couple of my old books and should re-read them. I never could get my kids interested in either series and haven't even tried with the grandkids.
Yeah, you probably won't get your kids or grandkids interested in the Hardy Boys books--too mundane and out of date for their generation. For us old coots--as simplistic and and easily discernible who were the bad guys in the plots, it still enthralled me as a 13 year old laying in bed at night and hooked on the idea that two teenage brothers could be so successful at solving mysteries that they could afford their own car, speed boat and motorcycles. Not to mention a wide circle of friends with the now-archaic names of Chet, Biff, Iola, Callie, etc.

Forget about your kids reading the books--re-read them yourself and re-live the fun you had living in the Hardys' world.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Once again, Jeff, I'm a bit jealous that I don't have access to some of these remarkable series that you highlight--whether on cable or DVD (which I still won't buy) because your screen caps are so intriguing. On this particular series, I have no idea who Ingrid Pitt is, but by golly I'd like to see more of her--literally. I'm definitely missing something there, dammit.
Ah...Google Images is your friend, Russ! Ingrid Pitt's main claim to fame is for appearing in two...umm...revealing roles in a couple of early '70s Hammer horror films, The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula. She also had a good part as a buxom barmaid who assists Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood on their top secret crazy Nazi-killing commando mission in Where Eagles Dare (one of my favorite "fun" WWII films).

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ah...Google Images is your friend, Russ! Ingrid Pitt's main claim to fame is for appearing in two...um...revealing roles in a couple of early '70s Hammer horror films, The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula. She also had a good part as a buxom barmaid who assists Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood on their top secret crazy Nazi-killing commando mission in Where Eagles Dare (one of my favorite "fun" WWII films).

And I have both DVDs and BRs of all 3 of those titles you mention, Jeff. I really like them all, seeing and really liking "Where Eagles Dare" *long* before those Hammer titles (I was too young to get into those when they came out) - but I'm a fan of Hammer's horror output no matter how cheesy it may be (and some are decidedly cheesy). She also appears in the portmanteau film, "The House of Horrors," from Amicus Productions (one of the main competitors for Hammer in the 60s/70s). Both had similar styles and used many of the same actors for their films. According to IMDB she also appeared in a couple of Doctor Who series, one in 1972, "The Time Monster" with Jon Pertwee, and one in 1984, "Warriors of the Deep" with Peter Davidson.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
And I have both DVDs and BRs of all 3 of those titles you mention, Jeff. I really like them all, seeing and really liking "Where Eagles Dare" *long* before those Hammer titles (I was too young to get into those when they came out) - but I'm a fan of Hammer's horror output no matter how cheesy it may be (and some are decidedly cheesy). She also appears in the portmanteau film, The House of Horrors, from Amicus Productions (one of the main competitors for Hammer in the 60s/70s). Both had similar styles and used many of the same actors for their films. According to IMDB she also appeared in a couple of Doctor Who series, one in 1972, "The Time Monster" with Jon Pertwee, and one in 1984, "Warriors of the Deep" with Peter Davidson.
She's fine in the Pertwee "The Time Monster" serial, Howie (as some sort of Atlantean queen, if I recall correctly), but stinks up the room with her cringeworthy performance in Davison's "Warriors of the Deep." She was obviously an actress more suited to period roles.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16