What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

GMBurns

Second Unit
Real Name
Glenn
I've been on vacation the last two weeks and been able to reunite with a few old favorites that I haven't watched in a long time. Tonight it was....

Mannix 8.2 Game Plan Joe helps rescue his kidnapped goddaughter. Typical 70's hard-boiled detective fare. Joe has three fistfights and a dune buggy chase through the desserts of New Mexico. And man, do I dig those plaid sport coats.

Doug Wallen

Lead Actor
Supporter
Real Name
Doug
St. Elsewhere - Season 6 - Hulu
Requiem For A Heavyweight (6.19) Ehrlich vs. Craig, Helen begins family therapy without any family and Elliott undergoes heart bypass surgery without Dr. Craig.

Split Decision (6.20) Craig returns to work, Victor is missing, Helen wonders if she can return to work, Brett Johnston's parents return and are struggling with the truth of his AIDS diagnosis. Luther makes a special request of Dr. Auschlander.

The Abby Singer Show (6.21) Third year residents are awaiting Board results, Doctor Of The Year Awards are held in the Towering Inferno, Lucy and Victor's parents search for Victor, Elliott's father collects Elliott's belongings and Wade is angered by her patients parents triggering her own self doubt. Chandler makes a life decision.

The Last One (6.22) Classic final episode with too many in jokes (love the Dr. Kimball - one-armed man subplot) and the indescribable "real-life" ending.

Surely do wish this one was available on disc. Rewatching this with my son has been something we have enjoyed for several years now. we started with my copy of season 1 on dvd. We found that GoodLife was running the series and went through seasons 2 through most of 4 and then that network vanished. I despaired of ever finishing that series until I discovered that Hulu had it. What an enjoyable ride to catch the episodes when we had free time. So glad he enjoyed it as much as his old dad. Still, wish I could have a copy to place next to my complete Hill St. Blues.

Gunsmoke - Seasons 13-15
Vengeance - Part 1 (13.4) James Stacy, Morgan Woodward, Buck Taylor, John Ireland, Kim Darby, Paul Fix, James Anderson, Royal Dano. A rancher who wants to control his own town metes out some frontier justice thorough a thrashing of a family following the "law" of the prairie as it relates to cattle. Parker and his son create a vengeance obsessed son who also brings down his girlfriend.

Vengeance - Part 2 (13.5) Conclusion.

A Hat (13.6) Chill Wills, Tom Simcox, Gene Evans, Ted Jordan. A badly wounded mountain man kills the son of a powerful rancher in self defense and flees to Dodge, where Dillon provides protection for him against the father and his gang. Excellent episode.

Hard-Luck Henry (13.7) John Astin, Royal Dano. More misadventures with the Haggen Clan. Hard-Luck Henry Haggen comes to Dodge City to persuade his cousin Festus to return home on an important mission. Festus, as the wisest of the Haggens, is to act as Solomon and divide a chest of Confederate gold pieces among the Haggen clan. Henry's constant mishaps thwart Festus's efforts in one of the funniest episodes of the series.

Hawaii Five-O - Seasons 1-4
A Thousands Pardons - You're Dead (2.1) Harry Guardino, James Hong, Loretta Swit, Barbara Luna, Barbara Nichols. An Army Sergeant who lost his brother comes to resent his sister-in-law (a bar girl) develops a plan to rid the bars of their girls. Interesting plot and good execution.

To Hell With Babe Ruth (2.2) Mark Lenard. An episode casting a white actor into an Asian role (including slanted Asian eyepiece) to tell a story of a sleeper "Ninja" who has been locked up for many years. Having now escaped the mental institution, he is intent on carrying out his "mission", to light the way for Japanese fighters coming to Pearl Harboron Dec. 7, 1041.

Forty Feet Hight And It Kills (2.3) Khigh Dhiegh, Will Geer. Sabrina Scharf. Wo Fat returns. His men break into a center and send out a false tsunami warning. This provides cover so other of his operatives can kidnap a scientist. However, it turns out the scientist is a diabetic who requires insulin shots. This complicates Wo Fat's plans to remove the scientist from Hawaii. Five-O races to prevent Wo Fat from succeeding. Diabetes plays a part in this one.

Just Lucky, I Guess (2.4) John Randolph, Albert Paulsen, Elaine Joyce, Anne Helm. A hardware conventioneer looking for excitement finds more than he bargained for, murder. McGarret has a witness to murder who is afraid to come forward as he will be embarrassed since he was attempting to break his marriage vows. I really like John Randolph in this role.

Rawhide - Season 2 Volume 2
Incident At Sulphur Creek (2.21) John Dehner, Jan Shepard, Charles Aidman. A local rancher steals horses from the drovers and Commanches and then turns a lucrative profit by reselling the horses to their rightful owners. The Commanches place the ranch under siege.

Incident Of The Champagne Bottles (2.22) Hugh Marlow, Patricia Barry, Lane Bradford. A slow travelling wagon arouses the interest of Gil and Rowdy. They are told it carries champagne but in reality is carrying stolen nitroglycerin. Double dealing abounds.

Incident Of The Stargazer (2.23) Buddy Ebsen, Richard Webb, Dorothy Green, Ted de Corsia. A woman gets off the stage expecting to meet her husband. But she was let off in the middle of nowhere, a good 30 miles from her home. Pete decides to help her get there but when they arrive, she recognizes everyone except her husband.

Incident Of The Dancing Death (2.24) Mabel Albertson, Warren Oates, Anthony Caruso, Paul Picerni. When the son of a gypsy queen is murdered, she insists one of the drovers did it and demands the killer be found and turned over. Gil rebuffs her, prompting the old woman to predict trouble for the drive, which does start to happen. Using white actors to play gypsies. I was unable to accept Mabel Albertson or Warren Oates as heavily made up gypsies. Not one that held my interest.

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
I believe Russ has given both of these episodes his patented sarcastic commentary in the aforementioned 77 Sunset Strip thread, as I recognized the plots while watching.
I take a bit of exception to the word "sarcastic" regarding my commentaries as it seems to indicate a mean-spirited attitude. I understand what you really meant, Jeff, so no offense taken.

For the record, I adore classic TV since I lived during the epoch of these shows and they still represent a giant pillow of nostalgic comfort for me. Pointing out the unavoidable era ironies on episodes like Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace, Hazel, Lassie, Rifleman, etc., inspires me to paint my commentaries with a loving satirical brush---and in doing so, poking as much fun at myself as I do the various shows about which I write.

It has never been--and never will be-- my intent to offend anyone's remembrance of their favorite TV series. I celebrate each participant's own take of their best-loved episodes as it adds so much to the colorful fabric we create in this thread.

Last edited:

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Here's what's on the schedule for this week. I'll try to recap my favorites next week.

Monday
Welcome Back Kotter Season 2 Episode 3 Sweatside Story
The F.B.I. Season 1 Episode 2 Image in a Cracked Mirror (Jack Klugman)
Tuesday
According To Jim Season 1 Episode 7 The Crush
Perry Mason Season 1 Episode 12 The Case of the Negligent Nymph
Wednesday
Home Improvement Season 1 Episode 8 Flying Sauces
NCIS Season 1 Episode 2 Hung Out to Dry
Thursday
F-Troop Season 1 Episode 4 Corporal Agarn's Farewell to the Troops
The Six Million Dollar Man Season 1 Episode 6 Doomsday and Counting
Friday
Hot In Cleveland Season 2 Episode 7 Dog Tricks, Sex Flicks, and Joy's Fix
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 1 Episode 19 In the Hands of the Prophets
Saturday
Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny
Border Town Season one Episode 26 Keenan's Raiders
JAG Season 2 Episode 13 Code Blue
Sunday
Mike Hammer Season 1 Episode 3 Hot Hands Cold Dice
Murdoch Mysteries Season 4 Episode 3 Buffalo Shuffle
Great lineup, that's the way I like to watch TV, bouncing all around.

Jeff Flugel

Effects Supervisor
Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I take a bit of exception to the word "sarcastic" regarding my commentaries as it seems to indicate a mean-spirited attitude. I understand what you really meant, Jeff, so no offense taken.
Certainly no offense intended, Russ! I know you kid in jest. But occasionally - just occasionally, mind you - you do take the gloves off a bit and give a particularly silly episode a bit of a hammering - to very funny effect, I hasten to add. And we wouldn't want it any other way. :)

Last edited:

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Certainly no offense intended, Russ! I know you kid in jest. But occasionally - just occasionally, mind you - you do take the gloves off a bit and give a particularly silly episode a bit of a hammering - to very funny effect, I hasten to add. And we wouldn't want it any other way. :)
You're not wrong there, Jeff.
Some episodes are almost too dumb for commentary. Yet still I wade into them...

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hopper

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Started Wild, Wild West's first season. Show is surprisingly good with the villains and building suspense. Michael Dunn's performance as Loveless is . . . . if you really think about it, rather chilling at times. He can switch from being sympathetic to a selfish cruel child at a moment's notice. He blames others for making him kill, but than he enjoys the murder at times.

--james

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hopper
The
Started Wild, Wild West's first season. Show is surprisingly good with the villains and building suspense. Michael Dunn's performance as Loveless is . . . . if you really think about it, rather chilling at times. He can switch from being sympathetic to a selfish cruel child at a moment's notice. He blames others for making him kill, but than he enjoys the murder at times.

--james
The original and first Dr Loveless' episode (“The Night The Wizard Shook the Earth”) is very dramatical and tense thanks to the music score by Robert Drasnin.

morasp

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Great lineup, that's the way I like to watch TV, bouncing all around.
Same here. The other thing I've noticed is that the more time there is between watching episodes of a certain show seems to make it more enjoyable. Today I watched Home Improvement which I hadn't watched for four months and enjoyed the heck out of it.

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
The

The original and first Dr Loveless' episode (“The Night The Wizard Shook the Earth”) is very dramatical and tense thanks to the music score by Robert Drasnin.
Noticed the wide variety of cues and use of that haunting . . . was it a harpsichord song that one of Loveless' lady assistants was playing. Today's television would never give the screen time for such a moment, but it did built our understanding of the mad scientist's personality. For me, it was how he switched back and forth from being rational to his childlike blaming of others. Wish today's tv composers could come up with music like that, instead of using pop tunes. Also, the Wild Wild West theme really comes across as stirring and triumphant in these episodes. It's just . . . . thrilling.

--jthree

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not watching classic shows right now, but it is filled with classic footage.

It's that time of year again... Moon fever time! The Apollo 11 anniversary is upon us, so time to watch Space documentaries and original footage on YouTube and all that sort of thing.

Tonight is Apollo's Moon Shot, a 6 part Smithsonian documentary.

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hopper
Noticed the wide variety of cues and use of that haunting . . . was it a harpsichord song that one of Loveless' lady assistants was playing. Today's television would never give the screen time for such a moment, but it did built our understanding of the mad scientist's personality. For me, it was how he switched back and forth from being rational to his childlike blaming of others. Wish today's tv composers could come up with music like that, instead of using pop tunes. Also, the Wild Wild West theme really comes across as stirring and triumphant in these episodes. It's just . . . . thrilling.

--jthree

During that season 1 and in the first two Dr Loveless season 2 instalments, they placed songs performed by Dr Loveless and Antoinette.
From the season 2 “The Night of the Surreal McCoy”, the original formula was gone and gone was the songs and Antoinette.
The original team of Dr Loveless was a troika: the good doctor, musician Antoinette and mute henchman Voltaire.
By the fourth Dr Loveless season 1 instalment, Voltaire vanished and with no reason.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Poking around on youtube I came across a posting of one of the ABC Movies of the Week that I remember seeing back when. Even in a battered, faded 16mm print Satan's School for Girls still drew me in. It may not make my top ten MotW list but it would be in the top third of the ones I have seen. Some nice moments of traditional suspense and mystery, with a good score by Laurence Rosenthal who also knew when to back off and let silence carry the scene. And how can you turn your back on a flick that brought together two of Charlie's finest for the first time?

charlie's finest.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Effects Supervisor
Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Poking around on youtube I came across a posting of one of the ABC Movies of the Week that I remember seeing back when. Even in a battered, faded 16mm print Satan's School for Girls still drew me in. It may not make my top ten MotW list but it would be in the top third of the ones I have seen. Some nice moments of traditional suspense and mystery, with a good score by Laurence Rosenthal who also knew when to back off and let silence carry the scene. And how can you turn your back on a flick that brought together two of Charlie's finest for the first time?
Wow, Cheryl Ladd looks soooo young in the above photo! Haven't seen Satan's School for Girls, Mark, but I do love me a good horror-themed '70s Movie of the Week. Really looking forward to Kino's upcoming double feature of Fear No Evil / Ritual of Evil, with Louis Jourdan.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
How I wish there would be more of these 90-minute/2-hour TV movies out on DVD, but different companies hold rights to them depending on the studio who made them.

For example, Paramount Home Video would release these:
Seven in Darkness (9/23/69) - first ABC Movie of the Week ever shown, in lieu of the proposed 90-minute version of Love, American Style after it was decided that was to run on a weekly basis (the first episode aired six nights later)
The Silent Gun (12/16/69)
Quarantined (2/24/70)
Weekend of Terror (12/8/70)
Assault on the Wayne (1/12/71)
Dr. Cook's Garden (1/19/71)
Escape (4/6/71)
Terror in the Sky (9/17/71)
Women in Chains (1/25/72)
Night of Terror (10/10/72)
The Heist (11/21/72)
The Weekend Nun (12/19/72)
Poor Devil (2/14/73)
Call to Danger (2/27/73) - was supposed to have been what Peter Graves would do if CBS did not renew Mission: Impossible for an eighth season

~Ben

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawleralter