What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
This show is so much fun! Robert Vaughn apparantly hated doing it. I met him at a convention and he was so disinterested in conversation while I forked over my $40 fo rhis autograph, I made sure to tell him this was my favorite of his shows.

Two things always seemed weird: that the shots of Vaughn in the opening credits were really uninteresting (making eggs, eating breakfast, giving toast to his green dog) and that there is a sillohuette in the credits that is becver explained.

I like the stuff with Vaughn feeding his big weird-looking dog, but yeah, that unexplained silhouette bugs me too. Who is that supposed to be? Some special guest member of the Protectors (of which there are usually none, aside from the main three.) Very odd. But it's got a great theme tune, and as you say, is a fun show. I'm glad I got this set. The transfers look pretty good for a show shot on 16mm, despite the fact that VEI crams 16+ episodes on a single disc.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Have Gun--Will Travel
"The Long Night" (S1E10)

Big shot cattle baron Louis Strome (Kent Smith) is in a tizzy over the murder of his wife. He's cast a net for possible suspects that include singing cowboy Andy (James Best) who has the mental acuity of pocket lint, traveling salesman Clyde (William Schallert) with a spine comprised mostly of Jello, and Paladin (Richard Boone)--a man in black with a big gun and and a moustache reminiscent of Hercule Poirot.

Strome's fevered brain conjures up a vague story as to why any of these three guys could be his wife's murderer. Paladin knows he didn't do it--but does it mean either Andy or Clyde is the killer? This is going to require a fair degree of deep deciphering by Paladin that includes a whole lot of yakety-yak and soul-searching. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Surprise! It turns out Strome himself killed his wife over a fit of jealousy but needs to pin it on someone else. Strome's obviously been smoking some strange prairie weed to scramble his gray matter in such a manner. He leaves it up to his three captives to decide among them as to who should hang. Welll, this is something that one just doesn't decide over tea and crumpets. No sir. This requires some serious and sophisticated jurisprudence. They decide whoever picks the smallest rock hidden under Paladin's hat is it. Problem solved, yes?
Clyde loses and his hide is offered up to Strome. But Paladin has a trick up his black sleeve.

1592486083760.png
1592486103814.png

Clyde, Andy and Paladin discuss NFL odds; Paladin asks Stome for his opinion of his biz card design

Meanwhile cowboy Andy sings a song and plays a guitar that sounds as if it was tuned by Helen Keller. "We're three fools", complains Clyde.
"I find comradeship like this comforting at times", quips Paladin. Nothing like a little humor to help diffuse a difficult situation.
To make a short story even shorter, Paladin offers up himself to replace Clyde in the noose. Fortunately, Andy and Clyde find their cohones in the nick of time and kill Strome's henchmen before the rope can tighten. Strome, racked with guilt, hangs himself.

There's a lesson to be learned here, but damned if I know what it is.

The attachment below was supposed to fit alongside my pic row above, but I fat-fingered a boo-boo that I'm too dumb to rectify.

Attachments

• 1592486243750.png
    1592486243750.png
    92 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like the stuff with Vaughn feeding his big weird-looking dog, but yeah, that unexplained silhouette bugs me too. Who is that supposed to be? Some special guest member of the Protectors (of which there are usually none, aside from the main three.) Very odd. But it's got a great theme tune, and as you say, is a fun show. I'm glad I got this set. The transfers look pretty good for a show shot on 16mm, despite the fact that VEI crams 16+ episodes on a single disc.

I have the A&E sets which were thankfully uncompressed. The main and end title music was amazing. The instrumental at the strart and the song at the end are so infectous. It's a breezy half hour. I enjoy 30 minute adventure shows. No time for padding (or character development sadly), nothing too complex, just a little junk food TV on a rainy Saturday. The Adventurer was less good, and I've read Gene Barry was just awful with ego, but there was still something charming about it. You know you've watched too much ITC television when names like Dennis Spooner and Monty Berman are as familair to you as Steven Speilberg.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Maverick S4E8, The Witch of Hound Dog (Nov. 6, 1960) D: Leslie Goodwins, W: Mae Melotte. Guest cast: Anita Sands, Wayde Preston, Sheldon Allman, William B. Corrie.

Bart Maverick (Jack Kelly, natch.) is up in the great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee in the backwoods Ville of Hound Dog trying to track down his $10,000 rightfully owed him by recently deceased gambler High Card Harris. The money is in a safe once held by his old friend Luke Baxter, played by Wayde Preston (previously seen as a different character, the effortlessly charismatic Waco Williams in Maverick season two's The Saga of Waco Williams, and once the star of his own WB Western series, Colt .45), the problem for Bart is that the safe is now held by back wood thieves Ox and Zack Sutliff. These two oafs have a very lovely sister, Nancy (Anita Sands), reputed to be a Witch and much feared by the unfriendly denizens of Hound Dog...Bart soon encounters the raven-haired "Witch" Nancy, and not believing in these things, offers a friendly ride into Hound Dog...the girl is beautiful, and yes, bewitching for sure...she insists that her "Pa" is actually that nasty looking raven that hovers about watching Bart with uncanny interest...Nancy tells Bart that she is only misunderstood by the townspeople...she tries to use her "powers" only for good, but sometimes people just suffer accidents by chance, which are always blamed on her anyway...can she help Bart get his money out of the safe now held by her two shotgun wielding idiot brothers?...Is she really a witch? The girl can seemingly conjure a thunder storm at will, for crying out loud! Can Bart escape falling under her courting spell (who would want to?) and also escape with his ten grand? Can a prize Bassett Hound called "Peaches" help Bart with any of this? Ha, ha...My screen caps from the WAC season 4 box set...
Maverick 1.JPG

Maverick 6.JPG

Maverick 4.JPG

Maverick 8.JPG

Maverick 10.JPG

Maverick 11.JPG

Maverick 12.JPG

Maverick 17.JPG

Maverick 18.JPG

Maverick 20.JPG

Maverick 22.JPG

Maverick 23.JPG

Maverick 24.JPG

Maverick 25.JPG

Maverick 26.JPG

Maverick 27.JPG

Maverick 28.JPG

Maverick 31.JPG

Maverick 32.JPG

Maverick 37.JPG

Most fans regard the first 3 seasons as the height of Maverick...I don't disagree, as there was no replacing the great James Garner, after all...but to me, Jack Kelly always held his own while being overshadowed by the meteoric rise of James Garner in WB's big screen marquee pictures...I still like much of what I see in season 4...Roger Moore as the British Maverick cousin Beau, and occasionally a rare supporting appearance by the otherwise bland and inert Robert Colbert (Time Tunnel) as yet another previously undiscovered cousin Brent Maverick... apparently cast as he fit perfectly into James Garner's old Bret Maverick wardrobe! The protracted writer's guild strike of 1960 gave WB an excuse to re-use as many as 14 previously written scripts under the nom-de-plume "W. Hermanos" so all their series could go back into production while the strike was on and Garner's holdout counter-suit was finally resolved...but the script for The Witch of Hound Dog is a winning one...I don't know if the credited script writer Mae Melotte was yet another pseudonym for Coles Trapnell or not...her other credit was for a pretty good fourth season episode of 77 Sunset Strip, The Bel Air Hermit...

What really makes this episode is the truly bewitching Anita Sands (Hernandez) and Jack Kelly's adept comic timing...apparently in later years, Anita Sands became something of an astrologer to the stars and still maintains a website devoted to such things...Wayde Preston, having suffered the same shabby indignities as other WB TV stars, eventually went into commercial aviation as a pilot for TWA and Quantas in Australia...

In a historical context, this episode aired the night before the 1960 presidential election, with JFK squaring off against Richard Nixon the next day...

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kelly did indeed hold his own, though once Garner was gone it put too much pressure I felt on Kelly to now be #1. When Kelly followed a Garner episode it was more a nice change of pace because Kelly was better suited to some of the more hard-core serious episodes (I think what Kelly has to go through in S2-"Prey Of The Cat" is something Garner could never have done in a million years and it had me holding my breath to the last second). Also, the episodes when Garner and Kelly would appear together are the best in the series overall because they played off each other so perfectly (Kelly's brief cameo at the end of the last episode of the 81-82 "Bret Maverick" series is the high point of that show's run). But once Garner was gone, the balance had shifted and consequently that's why I found I haven't been able to dive into the late S4 episodes (after Moore's departure) or S5 when it was just Kelly alone. I think there is just one reference to Bret after Garner's departure in a S4 episode where Bart is asked to name his next of kin and he mentions Bret, but then in a hilarious in-joke reference to Garner's walking off then says, "I haven't seen him recently though." It might have helped if in one of the later Bart episodes they'd brought back one of the great semi-regulars of S1-2 like Diane Brewster's Samantha Crawford.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great stuff, guys! I really enjoyed your photo essay on that 4th season Maverick episode, Randall...and wow - Anita Sands looks highly alluring in those screengrabs! I'm not familiar with this actress...no surprise, as she apparently didn't appear in much before retiring from acting in 1963, her final appearance being in a third season My Three Sons episode. She seems perfectly cast as the kind of sexy mystery woman that could cast a spell over Bart. Looks like the only episode of hers that I currently have in my collection is in Bonanza S2's "The Spitfire." Might have to throw that one in later this week.

Despite Jack P's valid reservations about S4 of Maverick, I'm planning on picking that season set up, not only for the above episode and other Jack Kelly entries, but also for the 15 or so episodes with Roger Moore as Cousin Beau. I think I might just pass on the abbreviated, Kelly-only S5 though.

the-spitfire-episode-17-pictured-anita-sands-as-willow-hoad-michael-picture-id140763168

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Maverick S4E8, The Witch of Hound Dog (Nov. 6, 1960) D: Leslie Goodwins, W: Mae Melotte. Guest cast: Anita Sands, Wayde Preston, Sheldon Allman, William B. Corrie.

Bart Maverick (Jack Kelly, natch.) is up in the great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee in the backwoods Ville of Hound Dog trying to track down his $10,000 rightfully owed him by recently deceased gambler High Card Harris. The money is in a safe once held by his old friend Luke Baxter, played by Wayde Preston (previously seen as a different character, the effortlessly charismatic Waco Williams in Maverick season two's The Saga of Waco Williams, and once the star of his own WB Western series, Colt .45), the problem for Bart is that the safe is now held by back wood thieves Ox and Zack Sutliff. These two oafs have a very lovely sister, Nancy (Anita Sands), reputed to be a Witch and much feared by the unfriendly denizens of Hound Dog...Bart soon encounters the raven-haired "Witch" Nancy, and not believing in these things, offers a friendly ride into Hound Dog...the girl is beautiful, and yes, bewitching for sure...she insists that her "Pa" is actually that nasty looking raven that hovers about watching Bart with uncanny interest...Nancy tells Bart that she is only misunderstood by the townspeople...she tries to use her "powers" only for good, but sometimes people just suffer accidents by chance, which are always blamed on her anyway...can she help Bart get his money out of the safe now held by her two shotgun wielding idiot brothers?...Is she really a witch? The girl can seemingly conjure a thunder storm at will, for crying out loud! Can Bart escape falling under her courting spell (who would want to?) and also escape with his ten grand? Can a prize Bassett Hound called "Peaches" help Bart with any of this? Ha, ha...My screen caps from the WAC season 4 box set...
View attachment 74393
View attachment 74394
View attachment 74395
View attachment 74396
View attachment 74397
View attachment 74398
View attachment 74399
View attachment 74400
View attachment 74401
View attachment 74402
View attachment 74403
View attachment 74404
View attachment 74405
View attachment 74406
View attachment 74407
View attachment 74408
View attachment 74409
View attachment 74410
View attachment 74411
View attachment 74412

Most fans regard the first 3 seasons as the height of Maverick...I don't disagree, as there was no replacing the great James Garner, after all...but to me, Jack Kelly always held his own while being overshadowed by the meteoric rise of James Garner in WB's big screen marquee pictures...I still like much of what I see in season 4...Roger Moore as the British Maverick cousin Beau, and occasionally a rare supporting appearance by the otherwise bland and inert Robert Colbert (Time Tunnel) as yet another previously undiscovered cousin Brent Maverick... apparently cast as he fit perfectly into James Garner's old Bret Maverick wardrobe! The protracted writer's guild strike of 1960 gave WB an excuse to re-use as many as 14 previously written scripts under the nom-de-plume "W. Hermanos" so all their series could go back into production while the strike was on and Garner's holdout counter-suit was finally resolved...but the script for The Witch of Hound Dog is a winning one...I don't know if the credited script writer Mae Melotte was yet another pseudonym for Coles Trapnell or not...her other credit was for a pretty good fourth season episode of 77 Sunset Strip, The Bel Air Hermit...

What really makes this episode is the truly bewitching Anita Sands (Hernandez) and Jack Kelly's adept comic timing...apparently in later years, Anita Sands became something of an astrologer to the stars and still maintains a website devoted to such things...Wayde Preston, having suffered the same shabby indignities as other WB TV stars, eventually went into commercial aviation as a pilot for TWA and Quantas in Australia...

In a historical context, this episode aired the night before the 1960 presidential election, with JFK squaring off against Richard Nixon the next day...
Maverick is among my favorite vintage shows and I think it holds up very well today. I agree that Jack Kelly was very good, but I would have to say that James Garner was just a a true TV and movie star and any show would suffer with his loss. I'm not familiar with the forth season, but if it's not overly pricey I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Kelly did indeed hold his own, though once Garner was gone it put too much pressure I felt on Kelly to now be #1. When Kelly followed a Garner episode it was more a nice change of pace because Kelly was better suited to some of the more hard-core serious episodes (I think what Kelly has to go through in S2-"Prey Of The Cat" is something Garner could never have done in a million years and it had me holding my breath to the last second). Also, the episodes when Garner and Kelly would appear together are the best in the series overall because they played off each other so perfectly (Kelly's brief cameo at the end of the last episode of the 81-82 "Bret Maverick" series is the high point of that show's run). But once Garner was gone, the balance had shifted and consequently that's why I found I haven't been able to dive into the late S4 episodes (after Moore's departure) or S5 when it was just Kelly alone. I think there is just one reference to Bret after Garner's departure in a S4 episode where Bart is asked to name his next of kin and he mentions Bret, but then in a hilarious in-joke reference to Garner's walking off then says, "I haven't seen him recently though." It might have helped if in one of the later Bart episodes they'd brought back one of the great semi-regulars of S1-2 like Diane Brewster's Samantha Crawford.
Jack, I certainly agree with much of what you say, but I do think there are enough fading virtues still left in Maverick's season 5 that I'm glad to have it too. And when it comes to the original series, I'm a completeist. But I have as yet to pick up the 1981 reincarnation Bret Maverick. A lower priority, as although that show has it's own virtues, it only holds a pale gleam to the original. Another example of the old dictum, "you can never go home again". But anything with James Garner in it is a must for me.
Great stuff, guys! I really enjoyed your photo essay on that 4th season Maverick episode, Randall...and wow - Anita Sands looks highly alluring in those screengrabs! I'm not familiar with this actress...no surprise, as she apparently didn't appear in much before retiring from acting in 1963, her final appearance being in a third season My Three Sons episode. She seems perfectly cast as the kind of sexy mystery woman that could cast a spell over Bart. Looks like the only episode of hers that I currently have in my collection is in Bonanza S2's "The Spitfire." Might have to throw that one in later this week.

Despite Jack P's valid reservations about S4 of Maverick, I'm planning on picking that season set up, not only for the above episode and other Jack Kelly entries, but also for the 15 or so episodes with Roger Moore as Cousin Beau. I think I might just pass on the abbreviated, Kelly-only S5 though.

the-spitfire-episode-17-pictured-anita-sands-as-willow-hoad-michael-picture-id140763168
Thanks Jeff! Anita Sands is a pure delight in The Witch of Hound Dog, for me one of the highlights of season 4. Not only is she beautiful, but she has the most lovely and soft voice. She returns in another season 4 episode, Family Pride. That one is a Roger Moore episode that I also like. Thanks for reminding me about her appearance in Bonanza season 2, I'll pull that one out for a revisiting soon.

I mentioned earlier that I still think Maverick season 5 is worth having. The series was definitely on the fade, with the 13 newly produced Jack Kelly episodes alternating with some of the best James Garner episodes from the first two seasons in a bid to hold the audience. Of those 13 episodes, I think about a third are pretty good. The rest formulaic and forgettable, with a few outright duds that were played too broadly for laughs and out of character for the show at large.

But the big draw for me is Peter Breck returning as Doc Holliday in another 4 episodes. A role he first picked up in a late season 4 episode. Peter Breck was really marvelous as the darkly sarcastic and wickedly smart Doc Holliday. Gerald Mohr had previously excelled also as Doc Holliday in the earlier seasons, with an emphasis on the menace. Peter Breck was an actor that excelled at comedy, and that's something I wish they had allowed him to do more frequently. He's a real scene stealer. He's incredibly good in a season one Mr. Novak, where he was allowed to exhibit much the same persona. I also love his uproarious portrayal of a young Teddy Roosevelt in two WB crossover episodes in Sugarfoot season 4 and Bronco season 3. He's terrific in that kind of thing. There's also the memorable and endearing Bonanza parody episode Three Queens Full with Jim Backus playing the patriarch of the "Wheelright" ranching family, with his three idiot sons Henry, Moose and Small Paul on the "Subrosa" ranch that they swindled from the local indians! Kathleen Crowley and Mike Road are seen in a couple of episodes as the married confidence team Marla and Pearly Gates. Some welcome familiar faces turn up in John Dehner, Jack Cassidy, Ed Nelson, Andrew Duggan, Alan Hale, Robert Wilke, Fred Beir, Chick Chandler, Reginald Owen, along with such beauties as Paula Raymond, Merry Anders, Marie Windsor, Gail Kobe, Allyson Ames, etc.,..God, I love the women in these old shows!
Maverick is among my favorite vintage shows and I think it holds up very well today. I agree that Jack Kelly was very good, but I would have to say that James Garner was just a a true TV and movie star and any show would suffer with his loss. I'm not familiar with the forth season, but if it's not overly pricey I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review.
I agree completely Tim. James Garner had the power and presence of a real old time movie star, and his loss was something the series could never overcome. If I was to state my two favorite male action stars, they would be James Stewart and James Garner. Too bad they never had a chance to work together. In my opinion, James Garner was the essence behind the greatest comedic western ever made with Maverick, and for me the single greatest private eye show ever in the immortal Rockford Files. Between that and his great feature film career, what an incredible legacy!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
LA Law: “I’m Ready for My Closeup, Mr. Markowitz” (2/13/1992): Stuart has to meet with reclusive movie star Lila Vandenberg (Anne Jeffreys) while Ann has an AIDS benefit to attend at the same time, so Ned offers to go in his place. He admits he’s in love with her. The firm is reluctant to take a case against a chemical company filed by Honduran fruit workers (Miguel Sandoval) claiming their pesticide made them sterile, but they take it once Tommy agrees to prosecute it along with Alex DePalma (Anthony DeSando). The company’s CEO (Ken Kercheval, Dallas) claims it is safe. While arguing whether or not to prosecute a case, Margaret admits a horrific secret about her past to Zoey.

LA Law: “Steal it Again, Sam” (2/20/1992): Victor subpoenas Grace in the wrongful death suit against the drunk driver (Titus Welliver) who killed his brother. After the judge refuses to allow blood alcohol concentration as evidence and after Victor rejects a $40,000 settlement, the defense attorney calls him to the stand. The firm handles a case of men’s cologne and who deserves credit for its creation, not to mention the sexual harassment claims by the designer (George DeLoy) against the owner of the company (Gates McFadden). Frank asks Gwen to come work for him while Arnie’s workload is decreased. Sam comes to the office with bruises from bullies, then Douglas assumes he stole the watch intended for his nephew when it disappears.

LA Law: “Diet, Diet, My Darling” (2/27/1992): Margaret files a lawsuit against her father (William Windom, Murder She Wrote). Douglas doesn’t believe the accusations, but eventually, her mother (Doreen Lang) brings a box of mementos that changes things. The firm arbitrates a veteran chef (Bonnie Bartlett, St. Elsewhere) accusing an up-and-coming cookbook author (Jennifer Savidge, also of St. Elsewhere) of stealing her recipes. Leland has lost 5 pounds in 7 days on his new diet, but having to be the taste tester at a cook-off puts that in jeopardy. Jonathan’s father (Robert Guillaume, Soap) and mother (Madge Sinclair, Trapper John, M.D.) come to visit. The elder Mr. Rollins asks him to investigate whether a job he was denied was because of racial discrimination. Mrs. Rollins admits to Zoey she has doubts about her son dating a white woman.

From the “Circle of Life” Department: Robert Guillaume and Madge Sinclair would go on to play Rafiki the baboon and Queen Sarabi the lioness, respectively, in 1994’s Oscar-winning animated blockbuster The Lion King.

This is Patricia Green’s last episode as executive producer.

LA Law: “Great Balls Afire” (3/19/1992): Susan Alder (Mary Gordon Murray), a woman from Stuart’s past, allegedly dies, and the lawyer who comes bearing that bad news also tells him he’s the father of her daughter (Alison Tucker, daughter of Michael Tucker and his first wife). After he and Ann actually meet the girl, they learn the truth. The firm represents a scientist (Linda Emond) being sued for breach of contract for using research data from Dachau concentration camps as the basis for potentially life-saving experiments. The plaintiff (Theodore Bikel, The Defiant Ones) and financier is an elderly Jewish man whose parents died at Auschwitz. Arnie returns to KCYB-TV in Los Angeles only to have an embarrassing emergency at Julie Rayburn’s house that requires hospitalization.

LA Law: “From Here to Paternity” (3/26/1992): Grace defends a college baseball player accused of rape. He passes the polygraph test, but his private comments to her make her not want to let him testify. Alex’s client says the cops planted cocaine on him, then he learns the whole case was a set-up by the DA’s office to get at a corrupt judge (Allan Miller, Soap). After that, Ruby asks for his assistance in catching him take a bribe. Stuart’s daughter Sarah goes to work at the office, and her first day is a disaster. Arnie goes back to work; he and Julie wonder what could have been. When she and Roxanne have lunch to clear the air, she tells a lie that makes things worse.

Music: “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”

Steven Bochco becomes executive producer again with this episode.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
I Want To Keep My Baby (1.16) Johnny receives a phone call from a despondent mother who leaves her newborn at the station as she considers the doctor as her only "friend". Johnny tries to find the mother before child protective services comes for the baby. Johnny becomes attached.

A Commercial Break (1.17) A funeral chain wishes to promote his product on the air and is willing to pay handsomely for the ability. Very catchy jingle written and performed by the staff.

Who Is Gordon Sims (1.18) A Venus Flytrap origin story. Classic episode using the talents of Tim Reid and Gordon Jump.

I Do, I Do... For Now (1.19) Hoyt Axton. Jennifer's former beau hits town and expects to pick up where he left off.

Young Master Carlson (1.20) Carol Bruce. Mr. Carlson's son disappears from Prussian Valley Military Academy. When he turns up at the station with Mama Carlson, he is put to work at the station and promptly gets into trouble.

Fish Story (1.21) Lee Bergere, Jerry Hardin. A mascot contest between WKRP and WPIG. Hilarious bathroom hijinks.

Preacher (1.22) Arthur Malet. Indulgences anyone???

For Love Or Money, Part 1 (2.1) Julie Payne. A "palimony" two parter. Bailey asks Johnny out and Johnny forgets when an old flame shows up. She has an ulterior motive, she wants money since she supported Johnny during his years in California.

For Love Or Money, Part 2 (2.2) Conclusion.

Baseball (2.3) Les wants to play baseball since he had violin lessons as a child. Les agrees to a coed softball game with WPIG for charity.

Bad Risk (2.4) Herb begins selling life insurance to make ends meet. Everybody escapes the pitch except Les. Herb loses his job due to an accident Les caused.

Zorro - The Complete Season 2
The New Order (2.6) Barbara Luna. The peans are told they can no longer sell in the square. How will they make money?

An Eye For An Eye (2.7) Barbara Luna, Ric Roman. Regulations increase and the peasant population wants to fight back and gathers behind a local leader.

Gunsmoke - Seasons 10-12
The Jailer (12.3) Bette Davis, Bruce Dern, Tom Skerritt, Zalman King, Julie Sommars. Etta Stone seeks revenge by kidnapping Kitty so she can experience the feelings of loss when her "man" will be hanged.

M Squad - The Complete Series
The Slow Trap (1.15) Lyle Talbot. A courier is charged with robbing himself.

The Cover Up (1.16) Willard Parker, Dan Tobin, Jeanne Cooper. Ballinger helps the DA out of a potentially embarrassing situation.

Blue Indigo (1.17) Bethel Leslie, Nico Minardos. The room mate of a murder victim may be the only clue to catching a serial killer.

The Long Ride (1.18) Joe Maross, Nancy Hale. Ballinger is transporting a prisoner by train and has the tables turned on him. I liked this one as it takes place on a train.

The Shakedown (1.19) Katharine Bard, Dean Harens, H. M. Wynant. A company will not bow to a protection racket and Ballinger suspects an inside job.

Dolly's Bar (1.20) Janice Rule, Claire Carleton. An old flame of Ballinger's walks into an apartment, murder and blackmail. Ballinger attempts to aid his friend.

Lover's Lane Killing (1.21) Kent Smit, Ruta Lee, John Doucette. A high society murder on a deserted road does not make sense. Ballinger attempts to unravel the various stories to find the truth.

St. Elsewhere - Season 6 - Hulu
Heaven's Skate (6.13) Gang wars and the death of Bobby Caldwell affect the staff.

Curtains (6.14) Genetic testing, Helen's drug abuse continues as well as Luther and Dr Auschlander visiting a performance artist.

Fairytale Theatre (6.15) Victor and Lucy are at different places concerning her pregnancy. Helen feels scrutinized.

Down And Out On Beacon Hill (6.16) Lucy suffers a miscarriage, Dr. Craig learns about homelessness and Helen experiences an intervention.

Seven Days - The Complete Series
Brother, Can You Spare A Bomb? (2.18) Nathan's brother plays Unabomber.

Pope Parker (2.19) Parker plays Sam Beckett by leaping into the Pope.

Witch Way To The Prom? (2.20) The power of three looking for a prom date.

Mr. Donovan's Neighborhood (2.21) Dorien Wilson. Craig's sister is hooked on drugs. A backstep is manipulated so that he can help her.

Playmates And Presidents (2.22) Vaughn Armstrong, Paige Rowland. A presidential candidate has an unruly daughter who could prove an embarassment if he gets the nomination.

The Cure (2.23) Lawrence Monoson. A futuristic Crononaut steps back in time to prevent Parker from saving a woman. Good episode.

Combat - The Complete Series
Far From The Brave (1.5) Joe Mantell. After the death of a friend, Saunders gives the BAR to a replacement over the objections of the regulars.

The Quiet Warrior (1.25) J. D. Cannon. Lt. Hanley is ordered to aid a spy in locating a French scientist, someone Hanley knows. They soon ferret out a traitor in the French Underground.

Cat And Mouse (1.9) Albert Salmi. Saunders is assigned to aid a man who doesn't want or particularly care for him.

Reunion (1.13) Will Kuluva, Chris Robinson. A soldier traveling with Saunders is looking for his father in the French countryside. The question, is he a collaborator?

Have Gun - Will Travel - The Complete Series
The Prisoner (1.14) Buzz Martin, Barry Kelley, Liam Sullivan, George Mitchell. Paladin is involved in an 11 year old case involving a 13 year old defendant. How long do you wait for a kangaroo courts version of justice.

The Mountebank (4.15) Crahan Denton, Denver Pyle. A Custer like hero must confront his reputation as an Indian fighter. Is it deserved?

Sanctuary (4.16) Albert Salmi, James Anderson. Sanctuary, is it freely given to all or just those who are innocent?

Quiet Night In Town, Part 1 (4.17) James Best, Robert Emhardt, Kevin Hagen, Sydney Pollack, Robert Carricart, Phyllis Love. Paladin catches a criminal and he heads to a small town to catch the next train. The townspeople are looking for excitement and use the criminal afor their sport. Paladin is overcome and his charge is killed.

Quiet Night In Town, Part 2 (4.18) Paladin pushes the deputy to aid in meting out justice. A very compelling set of episodes.

Princess And The Gunfighter (4.19) Arline Sax (Arlene Martel). Can't go wrong with this beauty. Paladin must hunt for and return a princess as she has responsibilities. Along the way, Paladin falls for her. A nice relaxing episode after the intense two parter.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Gunsmoke - Seasons 10-12
The Jailer (12.3) Bette Davis, Bruce Dern, Tom Skerritt, Zalman King, Julie Sommars. Etta Stone seeks revenge by kidnapping Kitty so she can experience the feelings of loss when her "man" will be hanged.

Amongst the best season 12 episodes because of the story and the ensemble of guest actors. Recommended!

Combat - The Complete Series
Far From The Brave (1.5) Joe Mantell. After the death of a friend, Saunders gives the BAR to a replacement over the objections of the regulars.

The Quiet Warrior (1.25) J. D. Cannon. Lt. Hanley is ordered to aid a spy in locating a French scientist, someone Hanley knows. They soon ferret out a traitor in the French Underground.

Cat And Mouse (1.9) Albert Salmi. Saunders is assigned to aid a man who doesn't want or particularly care for him.

Reunion (1.13) Will Kuluva, Chris Robinson. A soldier traveling with Saunders is looking for his father in the French countryside. The question, is he a collaborator?

The best of the group remains “Cat and Mouse” all the way!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Star Trek: The Next Generation – 2.3 “Elementary, Dear Data”
Picked the Blu-Ray set up cheap a while back, mainly to see the hour-long reunion with all the main cast members, recorded as a special feature during the show's 25th anniversary. I watched some of this season when it initially aired, but my strong aversion to Diana Muldaur - here playing the tetchy ship’s doctor, Pulaski, who temporarily takes over from the fired Gates McFadden - caused me to skip a good deal of it at the time. I’m looking forward to working my way through this set and seeing some new-to-me episodes, despite this season's so-so reputation. “Elementary, Dear Data” is one of the few that I clearly remember watching before, and I enjoyed seeing this seminal holdeck story for the first time in many years. The central idea, of a computer construct (here the holodeck version of Professor Moriarty, played with sinister, icy relish by Daniel Davis) achieving sentience and gaining knowledge and power over the Enterprise, is a good one…so good, in fact, that the series would bring the Moriarty character back in S6’s “Ship in a Bottle.”

Some fans carp over Brent Spiner’s heavyhanded Sherlock Holmes impression, but it works fine for me. The script makes it clear that Data is enjoying the role play, and is over-eager in his impersonation of the character. The only real niggle about the episode for me is that what begins as the episode’s central thesis - Dr. Pulaski’s claim that an android like Data is incapable of true inductive reasoning ala Holmes – is never really addressed by its conclusion. Of course, regular viewers know that Data is exceedingly capable of solving any mystery that comes his way, as we’ve seen him do so on an almost weekly basis throughout the series' run, often saving his crewmembers’ bacon in the process many times over.

Father Knows Best
2.11 “Spirit of Youth”
2.14 “Stage to Yuma”
While I enjoyed Robert Young’s odd little side jaunt into western territory, “Stage to Yuma,” I can’t imagine what audiences of the time made of it. Expecting to see the usual pleasant family antics, they were instead treated to a rather harsh, stagebound (literally) tale of death, self-sacrifice and last-minute redemption, with Young seemingly enjoying casting himself against type as a morally ambivalent outlaw. Not bad, and as a big western fan, I enjoyed it for its offbeat approach, but have to confess to much preferring the return to regular sitcom shenanigans with the charming “Spirit of Youth,” in which Jim and Margaret Anderson, chafing at their children’s concerns that they are getting old, return to their alma mater for a weekend to attend a college reunion. After a night spent in their crowded former fraternity and sorority houses, they soon realize that middle age is not such a bad thing after all.

437088.jpg

Dan August – 1.9 “Epitaph for a Swinger”
When the philandering resident of a "singles only" apartment complex is killed, August and his team find no shortage of suspects. No great confounding mystery here (I twigged the true killer’s identity within 10 minutes, as any seasoned TV fan likely would), but it remains a slick police procedural anchored by charismatic Burt Reynolds, poker-faced Norman Fell and a good guest cast, including the still lovely Julie Adams, doe-eyed blonde Brooke Bundy (pictured below), Gordon Pinsett, Norman Alden and Robert Hogan.

brooke-bundy-4e9fd2ce-f1c4-44b0-b8d4-4107cef3b72-resize-750.jpeg

Death Valley Days – 14.1 “Temporary Warden”
Host Ronald Reagan stars as James B. Hume, the temporary warden of the title, in this tale inspired by real historical events. When the governor offers him the job of warden of the Nevada state prison, Hume accepts - on the condition that he can round up three recently-escaped, hardbitten convicts himself. How he does so, without firing a single shot, makes for a pretty diverting little story. Reagan, though always a competent actor, was never a guy I’ve really warmed to on screen, but he’s quite good here, suitably tough and physical, with a wry humor. In some ways, this seems tonally more of a ‘50s western than one airing in the mid-‘60s, but that's not a bad thing in my book. It’s a good solid TV western series, a show I’d never seen before, but one which I’m happy I purchased. The episodes look nice, too: bright, colorful and reasonably sharp.

My Three Sons
1.7 “Lady Engineer”
1.8 “Chip’s Harvest”
More good stuff from this Peter Tewksbury-guided first season, though the terrible replacement music by Mark Heyes threatened at times to squelch my enjoyment, especially in “Lady Engineer” (seriously, my 7-year-old son, randomly punching keys on a Casio, would come up with better sounding stuff). Anyway, the sharpness of writing and acting shine through regardless. Steve (the unflappable Fred MacMurray, who seems more present in these early episodes than in later years) becomes attracted to a visiting rocket scientist (Dorothy Green) seemingly impervious to his romantic overtures. A neat ending here, as it reveals that maybe Steve wasn’t entirely barking up the wrong tree, after all.

“Chip’s Harvest” is that rare bird in television, a Thanksgiving episode...and a dang good one, too. At first, most of the family balks at young Chip’s insistence on bringing to Thanksgiving dinner his friend Johnny Squanto (Monty Ash), who they think is a mere shack-dwelling hobo who falsely claims to be an Indian (fair-minded Steve is not so sure). But when the Douglas’ stove breaks down and all restaurants are fully booked, it’s Johnny Squanto to the rescue, as he rigs up a backyard barbecue to roast the turkey. Bub, Mike and Robbie are forced to eat crow along with their turkey when Johnny shows up in full Native American regalia and reveals his noble background and generous spirit. A sweet, moving little story full of realistic family dynamics, and once again, smooth old pro MacMurray is very, very good, and makes it all look easy.

lady-engineer-111060-dorothy-green-fred-macmurray-picture-id93898019

Doctor Who – 12.3 “The Sontaran Experiment”
Been going through my newly-arrived Tom Baker Season One Blu-Ray set, watching assorted extras, including the excellent and revealing one hour-plus interview with the great man himself, recorded for this release in 2018. These first few Phillip Hinchcliffe-produced years of the show are among my very favorites, and this first season for the big, googly-eyed, scarf-wearing Fourth Doctor is a good one, with a couple of bonafide all-time classics in "The Ark in Space" and the epic "Genesis of the Daleks." Baker takes command of the screen from the get-go, and brings a real alienness to the part that no one before or since has ever quite touched. “The Sontaran Experiment” is the only two-parter in Tom Baker’s run, and is not in the same league as the stories that bookend it. What it does have in its favor is having been completely filmed on (very cold-looking) Dartmoor locations, a more action-adventure focus and a fine performance by an ailing Kevin Lindsay, under heavy Sontaran make-up. The late Liz Sladen looks ridiculously cute in her bright yellow raingear, too. Most vintage Who used 16mm for filmed exteriors, but this story was shot on video, and as a consequence has a unique look, nicely cleaned up by the talented BBC restoration team. This story is also famous for being the one where Baker broke his collarbone during filming. There are some really dark aspects to this tale of an alien species carrying out lethal experiments on the human remnants of a future Earth, but this is balanced out by the warm interplay between the Doctor, Sarah and Harry Sullivan (Ian Marter), and the inevitability of the Doctor doing what he usually does: meting out some well-deserved justice in the end, however indirectly.

Doomwatch – 1.11 “The Battery People”
Typically gripping, albeit talky, fare, as Doomwatch head boffin Dr. Quist (John Paul, looking like Jon Pertwee’s stockier brother), seeing the rapid spike in divorce cases and (Shock! Horror!) the increase of gin consumption in a former Welsh mining town, sends in John Ridge (the suave Simon Oates) to investigate whether the chemical processes being used in the new factory farm there are indeed turning the local menfolk impotent. Ridge poses as a freelance journalist and starts poking around, although he uncharacteristically turns down the offer of some tea and a little extra from the disgruntled, sexually-frustrated ex-wife of one of the factory workers. The head of the company, a former general in military intelligence who once worked with a chemical warfare unit, is cagey…and for good reason. While the fashions, hairstyles and sexual politics might have dated, the central ideas of this show - and their sober, intelligent exploration - still seem fresh and relevant today.

Cannon – 1.1 “The Salinas Jackpot”
Been listening to the great score to this episode for over a week (courtesy of LaLa Land’s 2-CD set Quinn Martin Vol. 1: Cop and Detective Series), so thought I might as well watch the actual story it accompanies. Cannon’s first episode, airing almost six months after the pilot movie, hits the ground running right out the gate. And I mean that literally…William Conrad is quite active here, running through hill and dale to escape a couple of vicious scumbags (John Perak and Tom Skerritt, in scary good ol' boy mode), who dressed up as rodeo clowns and gunned down four people in a payroll robbery. When Cannon starts to close in on the pair, they ambush him on a country road, wreck his car, shoot him in the leg and set out to hunt him down. Wounded (and winded), Cannon seeks help from a flighty widow rancher (Sharon Acker) who wants to stay out of the whole affair. Luckily, her son (Vincent Van Patten) is made of sterner stuff. But in the end, it’s grizzled Frank Cannon who single-handedly goes all Straw Dogs on the baddies in the exciting climax. Great episode, great music, and it's a kick to see Conrad render Skerritt unconscious with a full-on anaconda squeeze.

cannon-from-left-william-conrad-sharon-acker-vincent-van-patten-in-HD3MY5.jpg

Hawaiian Eye – 1.1 “Mahini Holiday”
Enjoyed this, the first complete episode I've seen of the show - and, apparently, the first episode of the series overall, with an official hand-off at the beginning from 77 Sunset Strip’s Stu Bailey (Efrem Zimbalist, Jr). At first , I thought pencil-moustachioed lead Anthony Eisley was a bit of a stiff, but he started to grow on me by the end...though he doubtless regretted taking his shirt off next to super-ripped Bob Conrad in the poolside epilogue.

Ol' Jack Warner really pushed the boat out for this first episode: we get an extended scene on a real beach, with real stunt people splashing around in real surf...of course, it was undoubtedly a California beach...but hey, points for location shooting. The plot (about a famous painter who is suspected of trying to bump off his wife) is predictable, but there's enough of a faux-Hawaiian tiki vibe to make it all go down smooth. The story slows down about two-thirds of the way through to give Connie Stevens a chance to warble "Let's Fall in Love" and look absolutely adorable. The stunning Pilar Seurat has a bit part as well. Would definitely like to watch more of these (and the other WB detective shows). Pity there are no DVD sets full of crisp, uncut transfers in the marketplace.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Picked the Blu-Ray set up cheap a while back, mainly to see the hour-long reunion with all the main cast members, recorded as a special feature during the show's 25th anniversary. I watched some of this season when it initially aired, but my strong aversion to Diana Muldaur - here playing the tetchy ship’s doctor, Pulaski, who temporarily takes over from the fired Gates McFadden - caused me to skip a good deal of it at the time. I’m looking forward to working my way through this set and seeing some new-to-me episodes, despite this season's so-so reputation. “Elementary, Dear Data” is one of the few that I clearly remember watching before, and I enjoyed seeing this seminal holdeck story for the first time in many years. The central idea, of a computer construct (here the holodeck version of Professor Moriarty, played with sinister, icy relish by Daniel Davis) achieving sentience and gaining knowledge and power over the Enterprise, is a good one…so good, in fact, that the series would bring the Moriarty character back in S6’s “Ship in a Bottle.”

Some fans carp over Brent Spiner’s heavyhanded Sherlock Holmes impression, but it works fine for me. The script makes it clear that Data is enjoying the role play, and is over-eager in his impersonation of the character. The only real niggle about the episode for me is that what begins as the episode’s central thesis - Dr. Pulaski’s claim that an android like Data is incapable of true inductive reasoning ala Holmes – is never really addressed by its conclusion. Of course, regular viewers know that Data is exceedingly capable of solving any mystery that comes his way, as we’ve seen him do so on an almost weekly basis throughout the series' run, often saving his crewmembers’ bacon in the process many times over.

Father Knows Best
2.11 “Spirit of Youth”
2.14 “Stage to Yuma”
While I enjoyed Robert Young’s odd little side jaunt into western territory, “Stage to Yuma,” I can’t imagine what audiences of the time made of it. Expecting to see the usual pleasant family antics, they were instead treated to a rather harsh, stagebound (literally) tale of death, self-sacrifice and last-minute redemption, with Young seemingly enjoying casting himself against type as a morally ambivalent outlaw. Not bad, and as a big western fan, I enjoyed it for its offbeat approach, but have to confess to much preferring the return to regular sitcom shenanigans with the charming “Spirit of Youth,” in which Jim and Margaret Anderson, chafing at their children’s concerns that they are getting old, return to their alma mater for a weekend to attend a college reunion. After a night spent in their crowded former fraternity and sorority houses, they soon realize that middle age is not such a bad thing after all.

437088.jpg

Dan August – 1.9 “Epitaph for a Swinger”
When the philandering resident of a "singles only" apartment complex is killed, August and his team find no shortage of suspects. No great confounding mystery here (I twigged the true killer’s identity within 10 minutes, as any seasoned TV fan likely would), but it remains a slick police procedural anchored by charismatic Burt Reynolds, poker-faced Norman Fell and a good guest cast, including the still lovely Julie Adams, doe-eyed blonde Brooke Bundy (pictured below), Gordon Pinsett, Norman Alden and Robert Hogan.

brooke-bundy-4e9fd2ce-f1c4-44b0-b8d4-4107cef3b72-resize-750.jpeg

Host Ronald Reagan stars as James B. Hume, the temporary warden of the title, in this tale inspired by real historical events. When the governor offers him the job of warden of the Nevada state prison, Hume accepts - on the condition that he can round up three recently-escaped, hardbitten convicts himself. How he does so, without firing a single shot, makes for a pretty diverting little story. Reagan, though always a competent actor, was never a guy I’ve really warmed to on screen, but he’s quite good here, suitably tough and physical, with a wry humor. In some ways, this seems tonally more of a ‘50s western than one airing in the mid-‘60s, but that's not a bad thing in my book. It’s a good solid TV western series, a show I’d never seen before, but one which I’m happy I purchased. The episodes look nice, too: bright, colorful and reasonably sharp.

My Three Sons
1.7 “Lady Engineer”
1.8 “Chip’s Harvest”
More good stuff from this Peter Tewksbury-guided first season, though the terrible replacement music by Mark Heyes threatened at times to squelch my enjoyment, especially in “Lady Engineer” (seriously, my 7-year-old son, randomly punching keys on a Casio, would come up with better sounding stuff). Anyway, the sharpness of writing and acting shine through regardless. Steve (the unflappable Fred MacMurray, who seems more present in these early episodes than in later years) becomes attracted to a visiting rocket scientist (Dorothy Green) seemingly impervious to his romantic overtures. A neat ending here, as it reveals that maybe Steve wasn’t entirely barking up the wrong tree, after all.

“Chip’s Harvest” is that rare bird in television, a Thanksgiving episode...and a dang good one, too. At first, most of the family balks at young Chip’s insistence on bringing to Thanksgiving dinner his friend Johnny Squanto (Monty Ash), who they think is a mere shack-dwelling hobo who falsely claims to be an Indian (fair-minded Steve is not so sure). But when the Douglas’ stove breaks down and all restaurants are fully booked, it’s Johnny Squanto to the rescue, as he rigs up a backyard barbecue to roast the turkey. Bub, Mike and Robbie are forced to eat crow along with their turkey when Johnny shows up in full Native American regalia and reveals his noble background and generous spirit. A sweet, moving little story full of realistic family dynamics, and once again, smooth old pro MacMurray is very, very good, and makes it all look easy.

lady-engineer-111060-dorothy-green-fred-macmurray-picture-id93898019

Been going through my newly-arrived Tom Baker Season One Blu-Ray set, watching assorted extras, including the excellent and revealing one hour-plus interview with the great man himself, recorded for this release in 2018. These first few Phillip Hinchcliffe-produced years of the show are among my very favorites, and this first season for the big, googly-eyed, scarf-wearing Fourth Doctor is a good one, with several bonafide all-time classics, like "The Ark in Space" and the epic "Genesis of the Daleks." Baker takes command of the screen from the get-go, and brings a real alienness to the part that no one before or since has ever quite touched. “The Sontaran Experiment” is the only two-parter in Tom Baker’s run, and is not in the same league as the stories that bookend it. What it does have in its favor is having been completely filmed on (very cold-looking) Dartmoor locations, a more action-adventure focus and a fine performance by an ailing Kevin Lindsay, under heavy Sontaran make-up. The late Liz Sladen looks ridiculously cute in her bright yellow raingear, too. Most vintage Who used 16mm for filmed exteriors, but this story was shot on video, and as a consequence has a unique look, nicely cleaned up by the talented BBC restoration team. This story is also famous for being the one where Baker broke his collarbone during filming. There are some really dark aspects to this tale of an alien species carrying out lethal experiments on the human remnants of a future Earth, but this is balanced out by the warm interplay between the Doctor, Sarah and Harry Sullivan (Ian Marter), and the inevitability of the Doctor doing what he usually does: meting out some well-deserved justice in the end... however indirectly.

Doomwatch – 1.11 “The Battery People”
Typically gripping, albeit talky, fare, as Doomwatch head boffin Dr. Quist (John Paul, looking like Jon Pertwee’s stockier brother), seeing the rapid spike in divorce cases and (Shock! Horror!) the increase of gin consumption in a former Welsh mining town, sends in John Ridge (the suave Simon Oates) to investigate whether the chemical processes being used in the new factory farm there are indeed turning the local menfolk impotent. Ridge poses as a freelance journalist and starts poking around, although he uncharacteristically turns down the offer of some tea and a little extra from the disgruntled, sexually-frustrated ex-wife of one of the factory workers. The head of the company, a former general in military intelligence who once worked with a chemical warfare unit, is cagey…and for good reason. While the fashions, hairstyles and sexual politics might have dated, the central ideas of this show - and their sober, intelligent exploration - still seem fresh and relevant today.

Cannon – 1.1 “The Salinas Jackpot”
Been listening to the great score to this episode for over a week (courtesy of LaLa Land’s 2-CD set Quinn Martin Vol. 1: Cop and Detective Series), so thought I might as well watch the actual story it accompanies. Cannon’s first episode, airing almost six months after the pilot movie, hits the ground running right out the gate. And I mean that literally…William Conrad is quite active here, running through hill and dale to escape a couple of vicious scumbags (John Perak and Tom Skerritt, in scary good ol' boy mode), who dressed up as rodeo clowns and gunned down four people in a payroll robbery. When Cannon starts to close in on the pair, they ambush him on a country road, wreck his car, shoot him in the leg and start to hunt him down. Wounded (and winded), Cannon seeks help from a flighty widow rancher (Sharon Acker) who wants to stay out of the whole affair. Luckily, her son (Vincent Van Patten) is made of sterner stuff. But in the end, it’s grizzled Frank Cannon who single-handedly goes all Straw Dogs on the baddies in the exciting climax. Great episode, great music, and it's a kick to see Conrad render Skerritt unconscious with a full-on anaconda squeeze.

cannon-from-left-william-conrad-sharon-acker-vincent-van-patten-in-HD3MY5.jpg

Hawaiian Eye – 1.1 “Mahini Holiday”
Really enjoyed this, the first complete episode I've seen of the show - and, apparently, the first episode of the series overall, with an official hand-off at the beginning from 77 Sunset Strip’s Stu Bailey (Efrem Zimbalist, Jr). At first , I thought pencil-moustachioed lead Anthony Eisley was a bit of a stiff, but he started to grow on me by the end...though he doubtless regretted taking his shirt off next to super-ripped Bob Conrad in the poolside epilogue.

Ol' Jack Warner really pushed the boat out for this first episode: we get an extended scene on a real beach, with real stunt people splashing around in real surf...of course, it was undoubtedly a California beach...but hey, points for location shooting. The plot (about a famous painter who is suspected of trying to bump off his wife) is predictable, but there's enough of a faux-Hawaiian tiki vibe to make it all go down smooth. The story slows down about two-thirds of the way through to give Connie Stevens a chance to warble "Let's Fall in Love" and look absolutely adorable. The stunning Pilar Seurat has a bit part as well. Would definitely like to watch more of these (and the other WB detective shows). Pity there are no DVD sets full of crisp, uncut transfers in the marketplace.
Great shows. I recently watched that episode of Father Knows Best and couldn't stop laughing when the college students kept shouting to make sure Jim could hear them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked Muldaur enough for that to be the primary reason to stop watching TNG. I'd also had enough of Wesley Crusher being on deck all the time (He's a kid for crying out loud! I don't care how smart he is he has no business on the bridge of a military exploration wessel doing *anything* but observing until he's had *proper* training) and/or saving the day. I'm also not a fan of holodeck episodes. That one is a rare exception as the actions jeopardize the ship - but Data as Holmes? Nope... didn't buy it, still don't like it. It's that type of stuff that turns me off holodeck episodes in general.

Like you, I purchased the BR (UK version) set for a very good price (less than I'd paid for *used* DVD copies no less!). I generally enjoy the series when they're not focusing on the holodeck, "Q", or the Borg and Wesley became far less annoying once he'd left and returned.

Father Knows Best
2.11 “Spirit of Youth”
2.14 “Stage to Yuma”
I enjoyed the "Spirit of Youth" episode. Although I've never understood why people think reliving that experience is a good thing. I hated the crowded frat houses back then (one of the reasons I never pledged a "social" fraternity - plus, being a GDI, I could then party at any of them) and would never, ever, consider returning to experience it again.

I've not made it to "Stage to Yuma" but don't think I'll enjoy it in spite of being a western fan. That's because I absolutely dislike when a "comedy" series gets all dramatic/maudlin (but then, FKB often did this at some point in many episodes - one reason it's never been a favorite, although I *did* watch it whenever it came on back then).

I've still not watched any of the seasons of this one and I have copies of all the releases. I've also never been that fond of Reagan as an actor. As you said, he's competent, but that's about it. I remember him running for and being elected Governor of California. I don't know if he was the first actor in that position but it was a big deal back then. Because of his acting career I've never been able to take him seriously, even as President. I'm that way with all actors. Who's to say they're being sincere or not as they built a career of being something they are not. Yep... stereotyping all the way...
My Three Sons
1.7 “Lady Engineer”
1.8 “Chip’s Harvest”

Those music replacements are much of the reason I've not watched my S2 sets yet. If I'd never heard the original scores it might not bother me - but I have.

Been going through my newly-arrived Tom Baker Season One Blu-Ray set, watching assorted extras, including the excellent and revealing one hour-plus interview with the great man himself, recorded for this release in 2018. These first few Phillip Hinchcliffe-produced years of the show are among my very favorites, and this first season for the big, googly-eyed, scarf-wearing Fourth Doctor is a good one, with a couple of bonafide all-time classics in "The Ark in Space" and the epic "Genesis of the Daleks." Baker takes command of the screen from the get-go, and brings a real alienness to the part that no one before or since has ever quite touched. “The Sontaran Experiment” is the only two-parter in Tom Baker’s run, and is not in the same league as the stories that bookend it. What it does have in its favor is having been completely filmed on (very cold-looking) Dartmoor locations, a more action-adventure focus and a fine performance by an ailing Kevin Lindsay, under heavy Sontaran make-up. The late Liz Sladen looks ridiculously cute in her bright yellow raingear, too. Most vintage Who used 16mm for filmed exteriors, but this story was shot on video, and as a consequence has a unique look, nicely cleaned up by the talented BBC restoration team. This story is also famous for being the one where Baker broke his collarbone during filming. There are some really dark aspects to this tale of an alien species carrying out lethal experiments on the human remnants of a future Earth, but this is balanced out by the warm interplay between the Doctor, Sarah and Harry Sullivan (Ian Marter), and the inevitability of the Doctor doing what he usually does: meting out some well-deserved justice in the end, however indirectly.
You're *really* making me want to break open my spankin' new "Tom Baker Season One" BR set and start watching it. I'm trying to hold off because I participate in monthly themed viewings of material on another site (DVDTalk for those interested). The annual SciFi/Fantasy challenge starts July 1st (actually dusk on June 30th) and I'm trying to save it - although I really don't "need" it to fill time as I have far more qualifying material in the unopened/unwatched pile than I can get through in a month. I'm about to talk myself into it though - in spite of the "Historical" challenge in which I'm currently participating (I've watched tons of war movies and documentaries due to working from home 2-3 days per week). I'm ready for a change... and those Dr. Who sets I've picked up the past few months are calling hard...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I've recently adopted a monthly viewing schedule that my wife and I loosely follow. Sort of like a personalized network it helps to insure that we get to watch all of these great shows on DVD. For example H5O Classic is the first Monday of each month and the new H50 is the third Monday. It adds a little fun to the process and my wife has even started asking me what's on tonight. Here are a few recent episodes that stood out and made me glad that I started this hobby.

Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. Season 2 Episode 10 Gomer the Star Witness Air Date NOV 19, 1965
With all of the great comedies from the sixties it's easy to forgot how good this show was. I have to admit a strong nostalgic connection to this show but it's hard to imagine anyone not enjoying Gomer's infectious enthusiasm and penchant for doing the right thing which stand in stark contrast to the Jaded cynical outlook so often portrayed in today's shows. When SGT. Carter tries to wine and dine Gomer, the only witness to a car accident involving Carter, Gomer has to tell the SGT. that the courtroom is the one place that truth takes priority over friendship. That same scene also had one of the funniest moments of the episode when Gomer shows off his dancing style that rivals his cousin Goober's. The picture and sound were great and the episode length was over 25 minutes.
Trivia: When Gomer checks out of the diner we learn that back then a BLT sandwich cost $0.69.
Plot: While sitting in a restaurant, Gomer witnesses an automobile accident between Sergeant Carter and another driver. When in court Gomer takes the oath seriously to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Star Trek Voyager Season 2 Episode 11 Maneuvers Air Date NOV 20, 1995
I enjoy all of the shows in the Star Trek franchise and watch an episode from one of them every Friday with the monthly schedule. As much as I hate to admit it, picture and sound quality make a difference in the viewing experience so it was nice to see that some recent equipment upgrades including a new Audio/Video Receiver improved the picture and sound of this great show. Seska returns in an alliance with the Kazon and uses her insights to help them steal transporter technology from the Voyager. Chakotay really takes it on the chin in this episode, first when Capt. Janeway reprimands him for ignoring the chain of command and in the final scene when Seska leaves a final message to him which is played for the whole Voyager crew.

Emergency Season 4 Episode 6 Surprise Air Date OCT 19 1974
One of many great dramas from the seventies I never missed an episode of Emergency growing up. We usually watch this show at the end of each month. I was able to get this set at a bargain price but having watched the restored episodes on MeTV and Netflix if they ever released it on Blu ray It would be hard to resist.
Plot: The firemen assist a woman thrown from her motorcycle onto a cactus patch. John & Roy (along with the Rampart doctors) plan a surprise birthday party for Dixie; when she breaks her ankle while shopping the party plans and the ER begin to fall apart. Dixie then tells an incompetent nurse, she has to work the entire shift, for the rest of week; when she's been ordered to get some foot therapy. Rescues include two men trapped on the side of a building with a 1/2 ton sign hanging near them, a man trapped in his new sauna after passing out, and the doctors find he's suffering from Addison's Disease, and an old woman whose apartment building explodes during a gas leak--with John inside, he then suffers a broken foot. While recovering, Dr. Brackett brought along his first surprise for John, the recouperated Dixie, who brought John a cake, while Dr. Early gave John a tape recorder, in honor of his (and Roy's) teacher's birthday.

Hazel Season 3 Episode 1 Potluck a la Mode Air Date SEP 19, 1963
Much like Gomer Pyle there were so many good shows in the sixties it's easy to forget just how good Hazel was. For my money there's nothing on today that even comes close. Hazel's boundless enthusiasm and ability to win over anyone make this show a treat to watch. Her ability to win people over is put to the test here as the important potential client Mr. B has invited over shows up on the wrong night and meets Hazel when the Baxter's are dining out exactly the situation Mr. B has been trying to avoid. The meeting starts out poorly but it's great fun watching Hazel slowly work her charm on the stuffy house guests.

JAG Season 2 Episode 12 The Guardian Air Date MAR 28, 1997
Love this show and watch it every third Saturday of the month. With remakes of shows like H50, MacGyver, S.W.A.T., Magnum P.I., and The Equalizer coming this fall on CBS I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of JAG. They had a teaser on NCIS LA when Harm and Mac reprised their characters in the final two episodes of season ten so maybe there's a chance. This episode was reminiscent of Rambo with the wayward Navy SEAL played perfectly by Bruce Weitz (Mick from Hill St. Blues). This episode has more courtroom scenes than usual and the final scene when the SEAL finally talks to his estranged son who doesn't know that he's his father is priceless and very moving.

Avonlea Season 2 Episode 9 All That Glitters Air Date JUN 17, 1991
I watch this show on the first Sunday of each month. In a continuation of the previous episode Gus Pike has moved into the lighthouse with Ezekial Crane played by Michael York. When Sarah finds a Gold Doubloon everyone in Avonlea gets gold fever including the preacher and it even comes between the King family. Hetty King is furiously digging up her backyard late in the night and the next day looks like she hasn't bathed or combed her hair in a week. An old acquaintance of captain Crane's shows up and they battle until the end to see who will find the gold which turns into a pretty clever plot twist at the end. My favorite scene is when Hetty King (Jackie Burroughs), Janet King (Lally Cadeau), and Rachel Lynde (Patricia Hamilton) are sitting in the store enjoying tea and discussing whatever pops in their heads. It takes good acting to make a scene like that work and they almost make you feel like you're right there with them. A word of caution, if you're thinking about picking this set up there is a bootleg copy out there that is so bad it's unwatchable. You're better off registering at Sullivan entertainment and waiting for a sale.

1593030790251.png

1593030370112.png

1593029031921.png

1593017639943.png

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great shows. I recently watched that episode of Father Knows Best and couldn't stop laughing when the college students kept shouting to make sure Jim could hear them.

Thanks, Steve! Good choice of shows yourself. I admire your efforts to follow a set schedule of different programs on DVD. Like Howie mentioned in the "Comfort Food TV" thread, I like the concept of devising and following a schedule like that, and have even gone so far are to plan such a thing, but it ends up being more trouble than than it's worth for me. Plus, my viewing moods change on a daily basis, too much so for me to be comfortable sticking to any sort of set schedule. But good on you for doing it!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
You're *really* making me want to break open my spankin' new "Tom Baker Season One" BR set and start watching it. I'm trying to hold off because I participate in monthly themed viewings of material on another site (DVDTalk for those interested). The annual SciFi/Fantasy challenge starts July 1st (actually dusk on June 30th) and I'm trying to save it - although I really don't "need" it to fill time as I have far more qualifying material in the unopened/unwatched pile than I can get through in a month. I'm about to talk myself into it though - in spite of the "Historical" challenge in which I'm currently participating (I've watched tons of war movies and documentaries due to working from home 2-3 days per week). I'm ready for a change... and those Dr. Who sets I've picked up the past few months are calling hard...

Thanks for the comments, Howie! Yep, I definitely recommend digging into those Doctor Who Blu-Ray sets soon...they are packed with extra goodies, not to mention the episodes themselves looking as good as they possibly can, given the source materials and budget limitations of the time. Unlike many, I don't rate the new version of the show very highly...it's slick, but very samey. The classic series is slower-paced, and with a drastically smaller budget, but the tone, the stories and the scripts are - for the first five Doctors, anyway - far superior, IMO. I'll be curious what you make of the original version of the show...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Thanks, Steve! Good choice of shows yourself. I admire your efforts to follow a set schedule of different programs on DVD. Like Howie mentioned in the "Comfort Food TV" thread, I like the concept of devising and following a schedule like that, and have even gone so far are to plan such a thing, but it ends up being more trouble than than it's worth for me. Plus, my viewing moods change on a daily basis, too much so for me to be comfortable sticking to any sort of set schedule. But good on you for doing it!
We keep it pretty fluid but I found if I didn't have some sort of structure a lot of my DVDs were going unwatched. Last night was going to be Bonanza but we had the latest Stargirl on Tivo and some new Hallmark movies on our Sling DVR and it was nice outside so we didn't get to it. Tonight is Mission Impossible which I'm pretty sure will get watched. This morning I get to make sure a disc from The West Wing that got scratched in delivery will play.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Avonlea Season 2 Episode 9 All That Glitters Air Date JUN 17, 1991
I watch this show on the first Sunday of each month. In a continuation of the previous episode Gus Pike has moved into the lighthouse with Ezekial Crane played by Michael York. When Sarah finds a Gold Doubloon everyone in Avonlea gets gold fever including the preacher and it even comes between the King family. Hetty King is furiously digging up her backyard late in the night and the next day looks like she hasn't bathed or combed her hair in a week. An old acquaintance of captain Crane's shows up and they battle until the end to see who will find the gold which turns into a pretty clever plot twist at the end. My favorite scene is when Hetty King (Jackie Burroughs), Janet King (Lally Cadeau), and Rachel Lynde (Patricia Hamilton) are sitting in the store enjoying tea and discussing whatever pops in their heads. It takes good acting to make a scene like that work and they almost make you feel like you're right there with them. A word of caution, if you're thinking about picking this set up there is a bootleg copy out there that is so bad it's unwatchable. You're better off registering at Sullivan entertainment and waiting for a sale.

You thought the bootleg was unwatchable? The original DVD sets were nothing to write home about either. Everything wrong with DVD presentations of other shot-on-film-edited-on-tape, only worse because they stripped the credits from every episode except that in which Ned Beatty guest-starred. At least they have since been remastered albeit only on DVD at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks