What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Shatner and Nimoy taking a look at Dick DeBartolo's Star Trek parody satire, Star Blecch, in the December 1967 issue of Mad Magazine...looks like they were filming at Vasquez Rocks State Park at the time...you know we're really in the end times when a magazine of this caliber basically ceases to publish any new material, presumably only publishing classic reprints on a quarterly basis going forward...I hate the times we are living in...hence, Classic TV is the remedy!
1590251974136.png

A look at the December 1967 Mad Magazine predicting the future!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ty Hardin with his wife, the lovely Andra Martin, on the set of Bronco season one's Borrowed Glory (Feb. 24, 1959)...William Reynolds (later on WB's The Islanders, Gallant Men and The FBI) and Robert Vaughn (Man from UNCLE, of course) also guest starred in this episode...
View attachment 73044

Great photo, Randall, thanks for sharing!

I remember Andra Martin from Yellowstone Kelly, opposite big Clint Walker and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes. A beautiful woman...although perhaps not entirely convincing as a Indian maiden.

MV5BNWJlNjg5NWMtODE0Yi00Y2MzLWI2MWUtOTcyZGViYzNjNzhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI4Nzk0NjY@._V1_.jpg

Ol' Ty Hardin obviously had an eye for the ladies...he was married 8 times!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here's a fantastic video showing what shows were ranked in the top 10 from 1951 to 2019. It's fascinating to see the shifting domination from Westerns to comedy shows, and flash-in-the-pan shows that briefly touched the top, while others stayed there a while. And it's a time lapse per year so you can see the movement of any show in that top 10 in and out.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have finished through 100 episodes on The Untouchables; 19 to go (the last disc of the first half of the fourth and final go [3 episodes on that], and then all of the second half of that last go [16 more])

This is where I am now:

untouchables4-1-4menu.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Incredible Hulk, S2-"Married"
(it's worth noting that the term "Hulk" was never used in the series. Always "the creature" which was in keeping with how much Kenneth Johnson wanted to de-emphasize the comic book origins of the character)

-In my opinion the BIGGEST mistake the show made was never letting Jack McGee (Jack Colvin) figure out that Dr. Banner was alive and was the creature. This meant that for four years the writers had to resort to all kinds of gymnastics to keep the pursuer and pursued from ever seeing each other face-to-face except in contrived circumstances of amnesia, bandaged face etc. It's shocking to think that the moment the series is most remembered for, "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry....you wouldn't like me angry" which is shown every week is the ONLY time in the series the two characters really face each other.

Awesome comments and I agree but with two things I wanna just kinda correct:

The name “Hulk” was indeed spoken by McGee often and a few people used it toward him. Either dismissively or one of the lower status readers would mention it. And Banner used it. “Mystery Man” has him using it a lot (“The Hulk. The Hulk, Jack, look think about it, what if you had the Hulk..."). Ken Johnson has a great memory for a lot of details (or copious notes) but he is wrong sometimes. The name was dropped quite often as the series progressed.

And McGee did face Banner in “Broken Image.” Banner bluffed his way out of it by saying his was Mike Cassidy, the gangster who looked like Banner (Bixby in a dual role). And even though Banner’s face is covered, the two had an amazing conversation in “Equinox.”

Totally agree, McGee should have been allowed to suss out Banner's identity over time. The marriage certificate was a huge sticking point with me. If McGee wasn't in this episode at all, I would have let it slide more easily. But not only was he there, later in the season, in "Mystery Man," the bandaged Banner shouts "Carolyn!" in his sleep next to McGee, who comments. There is no way McGee should have been fooled by the "Mike Cassidy" switch. Later in the series, McGee was shifted from reported to crusader. He begins to just take the hunt for the Hulk as a personal mission.

"Married" is a fine episode, but the "lone hero finds love in a two part episode but she is killed by a painful brain thing in a massive rain storm" is right out of Johnson's own Six Mill two parter "The Bionic Woman." Only Jaime was allowed to return.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No long synopsis or images today... just a recap since it's been a while.

Over the past month, starting May1st, I've watched all 7 seasons of Deep Space 9. It's been several years since my last viewing and I'd skipped S5 with that one. That was partly due to taking several months for the run through and losing track of the seasons (didn't bother to write it down and relied on relocating the cases when finished, failing to notice S5 wasn't with the group when I started - I know...).

This one remains high on my list of favorite Star Trek series with TOS being the top dog (and always will be). I tend to favor DS9 in the 2nd slot although it's a close contention with Voyager vying for that same slot coming in at a very, very, close 3rd.

I wasn't nearly as annoyed as in the past with the way the departure of Terry Farrell (Jadzia Dax) was handled with this viewing. I still feel her character being replaced with the next incarnation of Dax was unnecessary and didn't really add anything to the last season. It didn't really hurt and is more superfluous than anything being mostly a time wasting appearance. The series also has its share of holodeck episodes which had nothing to do with the overall plot - time fillers/wasters, with a few in the last season interspersed between heavy episodes dealing with the war they were fighting. Those really feel out of place. And I didn't like the overly long "flashback" sequence that filled the back half of the last episode. But those issues are minor in the scope of the series which, overall, is quite good.

To lighten things I interspersed episodes of DS9 with S6 of Cheers, the season after Diane left and Sam sold the bar. When this one first aired I wasn't all that thrilled with it but over the years have come to appreciate it as a needed change for the series which, in spite of its status, was starting to become a bit stale. This fresh blood shook things up and made it interesting again while still keeping it the same. I do recall it getting even better in the next few seasons so am ready. Since I finished S6 I'll be starting S7 this month.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Although not officially a "classic" as yet, I've been indulging in re-watching The Mentalist. Simon Baker is just perfect as pseudo-psychic Patrick Jane and the episodes are both humorous and clever--except when they get too bogged down in the Red John issue.

1590758966340.png
1590759124043.png

Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt that Amanada Righetti has a prominent role in the series.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Although not officially a "classic" as yet, I've been indulging in re-watching The Mentalist. Simon Baker is just perfect as pseudo-psychic Patrick Jane and the episodes are both humorous and clever--except when they get too bogged down in the Red John issue.

View attachment 73363 View attachment 73364
Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt that Amanada Righetti has a prominent role in the series.
That's a series I have watched all the way through a couple of times, one of my favorite modern shows. Amanda Righetti deserved more screen time for sure

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm back, guys and gals! My handy dandy computer, a Windows 7 machine, bit the dust. The power switch seems to be the culprit, and I'm currently debating whether or not I want to try and find a new switch. I got a heckuva deal on a refurbed Windows 10 machine on Amazon. I was smart and had all of my files backed up to an external hard drive including music and videos. I hooked it to my blu-ray player while awaiting this computer to come in, and I watched a huge variety of stuff including Happy Days, The Andy Griffith Show, Hee Haw, Enos-just a little bit of everything. I had been keeping stuff on a thumb drive to use on the blu-ray. I found out how convenient that hard drive was, so I promptly hopped on Amazon and ordered another one for use exclusively with the blu-ray player. No more having to figure out what show I need to delete in order to make room for something new!

Oh, I found out that I'm going to be a grandpa in January!!! I'm hoping for a granddaughter, but I'll probably get stuck with a boy since I had 3 boys!!! I'm really excited, and I can't wait to spoil him or her with The Beverly Hillbillies and Hank Williams, Sr.!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Oh, I found out that I'm going to be a grandpa in January!!! I'm hoping for a granddaughter, but I'll probably get stuck with a boy since I had 3 boys!!! I'm really excited, and I can't wait to spoil him or her with The Beverly Hillbillies and Hank Williams, Sr.!

Welcome back, Ron - and congrats!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Congrats, Ron! Grandkids are pretty cool. It's lots of fun when one happens to like one of your old favorite TV shows. :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have taken the checkered flag (or reached the end zone, crossed home plate, however you want to put it) on The Untouchables; started really slow to begin with, then got really good towards the end, so much so that I fast-tracked it (seeing nothing else but that); now it's done.

BTW, I just purchased a book by Kenneth Tucker (from Amazon) that talks about the 1959-63 ABC series, among other things, and includes a complete episode guide; it's called Eliot Ness and the Untouchables: The Historical Reality and the Film and Television Depictions, 2d ed.

checkeredflag.jpg
untouchablestitle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks