What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (8 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I watched episodes of My Favorite Martian on YouTube despite owning seasons 1 and 3 on DVD. It's more convenient to stream, especially when I'm using it as background noise to sleep by. They are distributed by PRO to YouTube, the same distributor on Hulu. Some run about 23 minutes, while others run the full 25 minutes. I don't believe they're "edited," but time sped slightly. The music and the voices seem just a shade bit "fast."

Thanks for this info, Ron! I was curious about revisiting this series again (haven't seen it since I was a child) but don't own any of the DVD sets. Will look for this on YouTube later on tonight.

*Edited to add*

Watched the first episode, called, appropriately enough, "My Favorite Martian." The episode was definitely time sped (although not to a degree that bothered me, though it might others), but it also seemed cut, at 22 1/2 minutes. No sooner does Bixby's Tim bring the injured Martin home from his saucer crash, than his cute neighbor Angela brings him the newspaper, which has Tim's story of the U.F.O. plastered across the front page. Yet nowhere in the episode have we seen Tim write, file or call in his story. This seems an obvious cut, so my guess is this is a syndication print. That said, everything else seemed complete, and I very much enjoyed the episode. The set-up was clever and the interplay between Bixby and Walston was charming. Sheldon Leonard directed the pilot, and Simon Oakland had a nice part as the police lieutenant who carts Tim off to jail. The only thing which took me aback somewhat were the distractingly massive eyebrows on Bixby...something I don't remember from his The Incredible Hulk days.

YouTube seems to have most, if not all, of the series available, so I'll likely watch several more in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Thanks for this info, Ron! I was curious about revisiting this series again (haven't seen it since I was a child) but don't own any of the DVD sets. Will look for this on YouTube later on tonight.

*Edited to add*

Watched the first episode, called, appropriately enough, "My Favorite Martian." The episode was definitely time sped (although not to a degree that bothered me, though it might others), but it also seemed cut, at 22 1/2 minutes. No sooner does Bixby's Tim bring the injured Martin home from his saucer crash, than his cute neighbor Angela brings him the newspaper, which has Tim's story of the U.F.O. plastered across the front page. Yet nowhere in the episode have we seen Tim write, file or call in his story. This seems an obvious cut, so my guess is this is a syndication print. That said, everything else seemed complete, and I very much enjoyed the episode. The set-up was clever and the interplay between Bixby and Walston was charming. Sheldon Leonard directed the pilot, and Simon Oakland had a nice part as the police lieutenant who carts Tim off to jail. The only thing which took me aback somewhat were the distractingly massive eyebrows on Bixby...something I don't remember from his The Incredible Hulk days.

YouTube seems to have most, if not all, of the series available, so I'll likely watch several more in the coming weeks.
I will have to dig out my S1 DVD and compare to see if anything was indeed cut. On S3 on YouTube, someone has uploaded "widescreen" versions which are absolutely painful to watch as the top and bottom are cropped.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

*Edited to add*

Hello Jeff,

Speaking of My Favorite Martian, The Outer Limits makes a veiled reference to that series in one episode entitled
“Controlled Experiment” in which a Martian named Phobos One uses a time traveling device mounted in a suitcase
in a dry satiral way a la Uncle Martin, if you catch my meaning.
End of Transmission.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Hello Jeff,

Speaking of My Favorite Martian, The Outer Limits makes a veiled reference to that series in one episode entitled
“Controlled Experiment” in which a Martian named Phobos One uses a time traveling device mounted in a suitcase
in a dry satiral way a la Uncle Martin, if you catch my meaning.
End of Transmission.

That's a good catch, John! I'll look for that when I get my hands on the season 1 BD set of The Outer Limits. (It will be mine...oh, yes, it will be mine.)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, after a two week break to record from DVR and encode seasons 2-9 into mp4 format, I'm finally able to start watching The Drew Carey Show. And to keep it within the parameters of the thread, season 1 is on DVD and where I'm at now.

Funny show. I know it gets better in subsequent seasons, then weirder. I'm looking forward to it since I've only seen bits and pieces over the years. And I'm glad Laff airs the episodes uncut to make the conversion effort worth it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Only have one from this past week as I was trying to catch up on dvr'd stuff with my wife.

Outer Limits Season 1 bluray of The Man Who Was Never Born. Such a wonderful , bittersweet episode. One of my favorites and this version looked amazing. Andro has never looked better.

O.B.I.T is up next if I can just find the time.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Aside from the My Favorite Martian pilot episode mentioned upthread, all I was able to get watched this week was a couple more Six Million Dollar Man episodes.

First up was 1.5 “Little Orphan Airplane,” a light-hearted episode in which Steve Austin parachutes into a war-torn African nation to retrieve some crucial film from a downed airplane and ends up rescuing the pilot (played by Greg Morris of Mission: Impossible fame), who’s being hidden by a couple of Flemish nuns. A fun, if at times silly, episode, notable mainly for some good banter between Lee Majors and Morris, and a lot of neat little bionic tricks, as Steve uses his special abilities to repair the airplane (including lifting a 300-plus pound engine and carrying it around like a lunchbox.) Features a cameo by Dale Robertson in a charming tag scene.

I also watched 1.10 “The Last of the Fourth of Julys,” another Bionic Bond riff. The Baron’s Steve Forrest stars as an international terrorist who has designed a laser and plans to use it for nefarious purposes. Steve is sent on a dangerous mission to infiltrate the baddie’s island lair and stop him. A nice touch in the early going has Steve undergoing some special training prior to the mission, under the gruff tutelage of Tom Reese. Most of the ep is spent watching Steve running around in slow motion, pole-vaulting over electric fences, bending iron bars and rappelling down cliffs. Star Trek fans will enjoy a rather eye-popping appearance by the voluptuous Arlene Martel (T’Pring from the legendary episode “Amok Time”) and a virtually-unrecognizable Kevin Tighe (Emergency) as an evil henchman. Not bad, but a little slack in places, and Steve Forrest isn’t given enough to do. As usual, plot holes and lapses in logic abound, but Lee Majors' relaxed, unflappable performance and offhand way with a witty retort smooths over the rough edges.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I was able to rope my son into watching O.B.I.T. from the 1st Season of The Outer Limits - bluray, thank you Kino. This was the first time my son saw this. He seems to enjoy the questions that this show still raises. I still am in awe of how timely these episodes are. Glad we are able to find some time as he is on a week long break from his job. So wonderful to have time for us to share our love of thoughtful science fiction.

On to Gunsmoke Season 1:
Hack Prine (1.26) - the actual pilot
Cooter (1.27) Strother Martin in an excellent performance as a mentally challenged individual with a sense of purpose that is easily manipulated

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Regarding some MY FAVORITE MARTIAN episodes mentioned above: On my original Rhino release of Season 1, the running time for the pilot is 25:36. The Season 3 that I own was an Australian import from Umbrella Entertainment. It includes the "original unaired pilot" and the running time of that is 28:25.

The neighbor character of Angela that Jeff references above from the pilot was Mrs. Brown's daughter, but was quickly written out of the series. (Remember the Herman's Hermits song "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter?") I always liked Pamela Britton, the actress who played Mrs. Brown. She had a nice role in the MGM film Anchors Aweigh.

I've been wanting to upgrade this series, but I keep forgoing that to get other things.

And speaking of a series having a veiled reference to this show, My Favorite Martian itself references Bewitched (in two different episodes, I believe). In one of them, while Uncle Martin has his hands tied up and can't move his levitating finger, Tim tells him to try twitching his nose like a character does on television. It works and they're able to get free. In the last line of the episode Martin looks at the camera and says "Remind me to send a dozen roses to 'my favorite witch'!"

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Regarding some MY FAVORITE MARTIAN episodes mentioned above: On my original Rhino release of Season 1, the running time for the pilot is 25:36. The Season 3 that I own was an Australian import from Umbrella Entertainment. It includes the "original unaired pilot" and the running time of that is 28:25.

The neighbor character of Angela that Jeff references above from the pilot was Mrs. Brown's daughter, but was quickly written out of the series. (Remember the Herman's Hermits song "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter?") I always liked Pamela Britton, the actress who played Mrs. Brown. She had a nice role in the MGM film Anchors Aweigh.

I've been wanting to upgrade this series, but I keep forgoing that to get other things.

And speaking of a series having a veiled reference to this show, My Favorite Martian itself references Bewitched (in two different episodes, I believe). In one of them, while Uncle Martin has his hands tied up and can't move his levitating finger, Tim tells him to try twitching his nose like a character does on television. It works and they're able to get free. In the last line of the episode Martin looks at the camera and says "Remind me to send a dozen roses to 'my favorite witch'!"

Thanks a lot for all that cool info, Martin! A missing 2-3 minutes (give or take, depending on just how much the You Tube versions were time sped) would account for the clear jump in the version of the pilot I watched. That's great to hear about the meta references to Bewitched...not something you probably would see much of back in those days.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Had a pocket of free time yesterday afternoon and watched an episode of The Prisoner on Blu-Ray. The order of the episodes for this series is ridiculously complicated, between the production order, the transmission order, and the other multiple fan-preferred viewing orders one can find online...but suffice it to say, I watched "Checkmate," which apparently was the 3rd produced, but 11th (out of 17) when first broadcast in the U.S., as best as I can tell from Wikipedia's episode guide...but at any rate, should probably fall somewhere in the first half of the series, as it seems Number 2 (here played by the late, great Peter Wyngarde, calm, collected and fully in control) and his cronies are still testing Number 6 (Patrick McGoohan) with more subtle means, and he is still completely focused on escaping from the Village.

This is just such a terrific - and terrifically odd and original - series. I happen to fall into the camp that thinks the final episode, though audacious, doesn't really work, but so much of this show is very, very special. My favorite episodes of the series tend to be the earlier ones, where the emphasis is on the attempt to crack Number 6 and his tireless, heroic refusal to capitulate even one inch.

"Checkmate" is a very good episode, with a great supporting cast (including Ronald Radd, Patricia Jessel, Rosalie Crutchley and George Colouris.) I personally might have preferred a more attractive actress in the role of the hypnotized, obsessed "Queen," but the character's sex appeal is beside the point. Crutchley's performance is skillful enough that one can't help feeling sorry for her, at how quickly she's brushed aside by both the narrative and Number 6, as the focus shifts to his escape attempt. Once again, McGoohan is a riveting and unpredictable presence who commands the screen like few other performers. I doubt anyone who has seen this program will ever forget it, whether they take to it or not. And the show, with its unique and vibrantly colorful look, really shines on Blu-Ray.

Be seeing you.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I accidentally discovered McHale's Navy on YouTube. It's a series I've never watched, but has been one I knew would be funny and that I had always heard about for years. I absolutely couldn't stop laughing through the 1st episode. Anything with Tim Conway is bound to be a gas, obviously. I found it funny him playing a straight man to comedic effect. When I get some spare time, possibly as early as this weekend, I intend to revisit some more episodes.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Gee Ron, what other great 60s series have you not seen yet!?!? I'm amazed you've never seen McHale's Navy before!

I've not seen McHale's Navy before either, Howie. It never aired in syndication in my area when I was growing up - at least I don't remember it doing so. And, since I have mostly been a drama guy more than a comedy guy, I hadn't jumped on the season sets when they first came out. Even with not being a super comedy fan, I still watched plenty growing up, as long as they were being shown on the local stations. But if they weren't available for me to watch easily, I didn't bother seeking them out.

Now that I've started to enjoy 50s and 60s sitcoms more and more, I've added McHale's Navy to my wish list with the intent to pick it up some day. Therefore, I was glad to get Ron's heads-up about the episodes being on You Tube, so I can check a few out before I pull the trigger on a DVD set of the show.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gee Ron, what other great 60s series have you not seen yet!?!? I'm amazed you've never seen McHale's Navy before!
I can't think of anything else I've missed. I've even sampled My Mother the Car and found it not to my liking. I viewed a few more episodes this evening and even had my mother in here watching. She was talking about how she loved Ernest Borgnine in anything he played in. I like finding stuff she can watch with me. She'll be 68 this year and she isn't in the greatest of health. I don't figure she's going anywhere anytime soon, but I treasure having her in the living room watching with me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can't think of anything else I've missed. I've even sampled My Mother the Car and found it not to my liking. I viewed a few more episodes this evening and even had my mother in here watching. She was talking about how she loved Ernest Borgnine in anything he played in. I like finding stuff she can watch with me. She'll be 68 this year and she isn't in the greatest of health. I don't figure she's going anywhere anytime soon, but I treasure having her in the living room watching with me.
That explains some of it... Based on comments you've made and many of the shows you like I had you figured to be a bit older. Your mom is closer to my age (almost 63). Like your mom, I grew up watching all those 60s shows in first run.

When I recently watched S4 of McHale I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. I distinctly remember it not being as good when I watched during the original airings. I was prepared for it to be rather lack luster but really enjoyed the episodes and got quite a few laughs out of them.

I watched My Mother the Car during the original run and recalled liking it so I purchased the series when it came out on DVD. While I don't think it's as "bad" as its reputation, it's not that good. It kind of reminded me of a rewrite of Mr. Ed, although nowhere near as good/funny, with a car filling in for the horse. I did enjoy Jerry Van Dyke in the show and got a few laughs but it's not one I'll revisit often. Kind of like It's About Time. Good for a nostalgic viewing and the occasional rewatch but not a regular item.

Part of me wants to throw out a laundry list of 60s comedy shows many "younger" people haven't seen.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree, McHale's Navy is a great show with a lot of laughs. I think it belongs with the other truly great "Service" comedy shows, Phil Silvers/Sgt. Bilko, Gomer Pyle and Hogan's Heroes. I watched Phil Silvers in syndication and all the others first run. I loved all of them, then and now.

For '60s Comedy, you can't do better than those above and Jack Benny Program and the Danny Thomas Show, both sadly missing for the most part on DVD. Shout released that great "Lost Episodes" 3 disc 18 episode set of the Jack Benny Program which had '50s and '60s airings. Also among the best of '60s Comedy, Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Andy Griffith Show, Dick Van Dyke Show, Car 54 Where are You, Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, Mothers-in-Law and That Girl are all available in full. Beverly Hillbillies (S1-4), Petticoat Junction (S1-3) are partially out. Green Acres in full. Of course, My Three Sons is out only with the first two seasons and with music substitutions, regrettably. And only the first half of the single season I'm Dickens, He's Fenster was released as a one shot. Disappointing sales means that one won't be finished, regrettably.

Like a lot of collectors here, I have many, many more Western dramas, War, Cop and Lawyer dramas from this era. And not enough Variety shows at all.

And don't get me started on all the many great '50s (and a few '70s) Sitcoms, many MIA on DVD.

I am also hesitant to pick up (even at a bargain price) My Mother the Car and It's About Time, precisely because I remember not enjoying either show as a kid. But I wonder how much of my then contemporary reaction as a 10 year old was influenced by the prominent and persuasive negative reactions of the TV Critics of the day. Even as a 10 year old, I was a news junkie trying to understand the world, following the Space Race's Project Gemini and trying to figure out the Vietnam War with one cousin already there and another soon to follow. I read the daily paper and TV Guide, following my hometown critics and Cleveland Amory. But I remember loving another ridiculed show, Gilligan's Island, a whole lot at about the same time. And Gilligan's Island is a show I haven't added to my DVD collection because I can't sit through it as an adult, except when Don Rickles finds himself on the island. For perspective, I have other wacky '60s Sitcoms like Mister Ed, My Favorite Martian, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Munsters, Addams Family, F Troop and Get Smart in my collection as it is. I (mostly) enjoy all of those today.

So, suspecting that I would enjoy neither of My Mother the Car or It's About Time, unless subjecting myself to a torturous forensic deconstruction driven by some perverse fascination in examining the worst of '60s television, I think I will save myself from this ordeal and not do that. There's just not enough time in the world and too much truly great '60s TV to watch, like season 13 of Gunsmoke next month and season 5 of Beverly Hillbillies reportedly coming soon.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
So, suspecting that I would enjoy neither of My Mother the Car or It's About Time, unless subjecting myself to a torturous forensic deconstruction driven by some perverse fascination in examining the worst of '60s television, I think I will save myself from this ordeal and not do that. There's just not enough time in the world and too much truly great '60s TV to watch, like season 13 of Gunsmoke next month and season 5 of Beverly Hillbillies reportedly coming soon.

Much agreement here, Randall. Taking into consideration the current shows that I enjoy watching from the U.S. and the U.K., plus the occasional interesting series on Netflix and Amazon Prime (and there are several modern shows I enjoy), plus the huge amount of vintage TV series I have in process, or have yet to get to - not to mention all the movies I try to watch! - there just isn't time enough to waste on shows I have little to no interest in. I'll admit a mild curiosity re: It's About Time, but if the general word from members here is negative, then that's enough for me to give it a pass. Life's too short.

It all comes down to personal taste, of course, and there are enough 50s and 60s era sitcoms (plus several British comedies from the 70s and up) to keep me busy for the forseeable future. Most of the classic sitcoms you and Howie mentioned above I have seen at one time or another. I'm 50, so didn't catch any of the above when they were first aired. About the only one I remember watching at a very young age was The Courtship of Eddie's Father (which i haven't seen since). Otherwise, most pre-70s shows I watched in syndication on local TV stations. The then-current 70s sitcoms, like All in the Family, The Jeffersons and Maude, I hated then and still do...not for any political reasons, I just didn't (and don't) like the strident tone or (to me) annoying characters. These days, it's the more outlandish, high-concept and sillier sitcoms of the 60s that I find the most watchable and charming. Though I think I'll draw the line at My Mother, the Car.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And Gilligan's Island is a show I haven't added to my DVD collection because I can't sit through it as an adult, except when Don Rickles finds himself on the island.

Me either-- I had the single-sided version of the all-in-one, and to me, it was the open-ended presentation of the episodes that made me shut the door on it (IOW, each episode being one chapter, with no chapter stops [meaning that you were not allowed to skip the title track without going out of the episode entirely]).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks