What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have been busy being a nurse. My wife is recovering from her surgery and is becoming a bit more mobile each day. Her ankle is having adjustments to make with the changing weather here in Middle Georgia. Due to my caretaker duties and the continued "shelter in place" directives, I have been watching a lot of classic television as well as movies and the few network shows with new episodes.

The Dakota's - Complete Series
Trouble At French Creek (1.4) Michael Constantine, Joan Freeman, Mercedes McCambridge, John Kellog, Stephen Joyce. A female mine owner drives her workers so hard that they finally walk out. Furious, she hires a band of vicious gunfighters to keep the miners under control. Marshal Ragan is called in to set matters straight.

Thunder In Pleasant Valley (1.5) Karl Swenson, Lee Van Cleef, Patricia Huston, Gregory Walcott. A wealthy rancher's daughter is kidnapped by an outlaw gang, and Marshal Ragan tries to stop him from paying the ransom while his deputies search for the kidnappers.

Crisis At High Banjo (1.6) Karen Sharpe, Warren Stevens, Robert J. Wilkie, Logan Ames, Michael Pate, Ed Peck. Several years ago Marshal Ragan's wife was murdered, and he never caught the killer. Now he has--a man named Johnny Fox, who admits to Ragan that he was paid to kill her. Ragan is torn between his desire for vengeance for his wife's murder and his wanting to know who paid to have her killed and why. Excellent episode anchored by Larry Ward's performance and Jack Elam's support.

Requiem At Dancer's Hill (1.7) Dennis Hopper, Dick Foran, Alan Reed, Jr., Anne Whitfield, Herb Vigran. Marshal Ragan and his deputies go after the leader of a posse that captured a wanted man, but instead of turning him over to the authorities, they hanged him on the spot.

Daniel Boone -The Complete Season 2
The Trek (2.6) Aldo Ray. Boone is recruited by a representative of the Governor to capture and return John Benton, a rabble-rousing trouble-seeking ruffian due for an appointment with the hangman's noose. After snaring Benton from the midst of his nefarious companions with a rather unique ploy, Boone drives him on a trek through the wilderness to justice. He finds himself acquiring a grudging respect for the scoundrel along the way.

The Aaron Burr Story (2.7) Lief Erickson, Mike Ragan, Michael St. Clair. Boone is recruited by a representative of the Governor to capture and return John Benton, a rabble-rousing trouble-seeking ruffian due for an appointment with the hangman's noose. After snaring Benton from the midst of his nefarious companions with a rather unique ploy, Boone drives him on a trek through the wilderness to justice. He finds himself acquiring a grudging respect for the scoundrel along the way.

Cry Of Gold (2.8) William O'Connell, Kenneth MacDonald. A man arrives at Boonesborough offering unusually high prices for beaver pelts. Daniel doesn't trust this generous trader and soon discovers the man has an ulterior motive of a sinister nature.

The Peace Tree (2.9) Liam Redmond, Nestor Paiva, Abel Fernandez. Highlander settlers begin building a settlement on land that belongs to the Cherokee, threatening the peace. Daniel tries to mediate but finds the Highlander's leader is unwilling to negotiate with "savages".

The Thanksgiving Story (2.10) John McIntire, Rudolf Acosta, Shug Fisher, Abraham Soafer. With Daniel and Jericho away and Choctaw chief Gabriel and his warriors on the warpath, a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving is in doubt. Then Rebecca's Irish father Timothy Patrick Bryan shows up and, in order not to disappoint his grandson Israel, who believes his yarns, invites the Indians to Thanksgiving dinner.

Gunsmoke - Seasons 8-9
Decided to finish this set off, so here are my remarks on the last 6 episodes of season 9.
Trip West (9.31) Herbert Anderson, Sharon Farrell, H. M. Wynant, Percy Helton. Going to a quack Dr, a man believes he has four months left to live so he depletes his bank account and ends up in Dodge where he finds love. A sweet story.

Scott Free (9.32) Patricia Owens, Julie Sommars, Jay Lanin, Jack Betts, Harry Bartell. Rob Scott considers himself a man who could stay or go when it came to women. He may have met his match though when a woman he desires and her husband take over an abandoned homestead and they come to where he works to look over some stock. Plenty of duplicitous people in this story.

The Warden (9.33) George Kennedy, Chris Connelly, Julie Parrish, Anthony Caruso. A traveling salesman meets up with Bull Foot, an Indian who mainly sells vegetables. When goods are traded for a squaw, he is upset when she runs away and into the arms of Festus, whose mule she steals, only to return home awaiting sale to the next customer.

Homecoming (9.34) Phyllis Coates, Jack Elam, Harold J. Stone, Tom Lowell. Orval returns from seven years in prison for killing his wife's lover, vowing to reclaim his house and business. Edna tries to goad her new husband and Orval's son into a plot to kill Orval; then her head is turned by a traveling salesman. Another conniving woman who has aspirations and uses people, even her son.

The Other Half (9.35) Lee Kinsolving, Paul Fix, Donna Anderson, Patric Knowles. Jess, Jay's twin, is shot and killed by an unknown assailant while working late at the family business. When a stranger to Dodge is suspected, Matt does his best to track him down and bring him to justice.

Journey For Three (9.36) Margaret Blye, Mark Goddard, Michael J. Pollard, William Arvin. Evolution of a serial killer. Two brothers traveling to California are joined by a third man who soon proves to be a wrong 'un, manhandling and killing a young woman they encounter on the prairie and turning on Quint when he shows up to share his rabbits with them.

Really enjoyed these final six episodes to end the season. Looking forward to the next set - Seasons 10-12.

Cannon - Complete Series
Nobody Beats The House (2.13) Tom Skerritt, Corinne Camacho, John Marley, Paul Michael Glaser, Geoffrey Lewis. Cannon is hired to help a man avoid paying his gambling debt with his life.

Hard Rock Roller Coaster (2.14) John Vernon, Fritz Weaver, Charlotte Stewart, Greg Mullavey. Cannon is hired to help a man who wandered into someone's home after being beaten up. He has no memory or any I.D. on him. Two thugs are after him and one of his benefactors may have a secret agenda.

The Dead Samaritan (2.15) Arlene Golanka, David Hedison, Barbara Babcock, Priscilla Morrill. A bystander is charged after he sees a woman being assaulted by a businessman, he intervenes, and the businessman dies of a heart attack. But was it a set-up?

Death Of A Stone Seahorse (2.16) Sondra Locke, David Soul, Tim O'Connor, Malachi Throne. A marine biologist is stabbed on a research island.

Moving Target (2.17) Susan Oliver, Gordon Pinsent, Meg Wylie, Keith Andes, Richard Carlson. To protect an author whose life has been threatened, Cannon puts him in a motor-home to finish his manuscript and investigates who might want the writer dead.

Murder For Murder (2.18) Jason Evers, Noam Pitlik, Dick Van Patten, Mary Frann. Cannon is hired by the sister of a young woman who died at the mansion of two brothers who own a cosmetics company.

Hawaii 5-O - Complete First Season
Face Of The Dragon (1.15) David Opatoshu, Soon Tek Oh, Nancy Kovack, Herb Jeffries, A dying man is discovered on a beach. A mysterious motorcycle rider takes the man's identification and speeds off. The man has bubonic plague. Five-O races to contain a potential plague outbreak and discover what the motorcycle rider is doing. Seems a timely episode.

The Box (1.16) Gerald S. O'Loughlin, R. G. Armstrong, Gavin MacLeod, Al Harrington. In Oahu State Prison, cons led by Big Chicken want to bring Swanson to heel because he doesn't show enough respect for "the system." But Swanson manages to shoot one of his attackers with guns the cons had smuggled into the prison. Swanson gathers up prison guards as hostages to try to get out of the prison. Swanson says if he's not let out, he'll start killing the hostages. McGarrett offers himself up as a hostage to try to head off bloodshed.

One For The Money (1.17) Farley Granger, Jeanette Nolan, Paul Collins. McGarrett receives a cryptic letter and a photo of a woman with an "x" drawn through it. The woman was stabbed repeatedly. Later, another is killed the same way and Five-O gets another letter. The victims both worked at the same company, Hawaiian Amalgamated Industries.

Along Came Joey (1.18) Peter Mark Richman, Jesse White, Frank DeKova. Joey Kalama, son of police detective Phil Kalama, nearly goes down in a boxing match then comes back to win the fight. Later, he is beaten by two thugs and dies. McGarrett & Co. investigate the death while trying to rein in Phil, who is also probing the case. The heat is turned up on Five-O after Joey's manager falls to his death accidentally while Phil was trying to question him.

Have Gun - Will Travel - The Complete Series
An International Affair (3.29) Ziva Rodann, Henry Corden, Oscar Beregi, Jr., Olan Soule. Princess Mapuana pays Paladin to keep safe a gift - a signet ring from her royal family to our president. But someone is killing off those involved.

Lady With A Gun (3.30) Paula Raymond, Jack Weston, Ron Soble. A man is shot at by a woman because he killed her little brother during the Civil War. He has been running from her since then. Paladin offers to contact the police but when that is refused, he offers his card and services.

Never Help The Devil (3.31) Jack Lambert. When Doggie's shooting arm is injured winning a gunfight, the impoverished citizens dig deep to rabidly bet on who will finish off their local menace (and when). Passerby Paladin wants nothing to do with it, but decides even the despicable gunslinger deserves some justice, so he agrees to get him out of town so he can stand trial.

Ambush (3.32) George Macready, Ed Nelson. Several travelers are held by gunpoint at a ferry crossing, including Paladin and his prisoner. What fate awaits them soon appears in the form of a blind father seeking vengeance for his son's killer which he believes to be one of them.

Black Sheep (3.33) Patrick Wayne, Stacy Harris, Suzanne Lloyd. Paladin is hired to bring back from Mexico an heir to a sizable fortune. One catch -- the heir may have to spend several years in jail for crimes he committed. But is it jail Paladin is leading him to or something else?

Full Circle (3.34) Barbara Baxley, Adam Williams, Hal Needham. Paladin receives word from someone out of his past that he needs help. Only issue -- this is not a friend but someone he trusted who ran out leaving him to face a vengeful brother's bullet.

With plenty of streaming available, I have availed myself of Tubi tv's Dark Shadows (original series run). I have immersed myself into the original Barnabas storyline that crosses with the Liz Stoddard/Jason Maguire story. Dennis Patrick was at his sleaziest in this role. I remember rushing home from school to watch this before I began my homework (10 year old fan). So glad I uncovered this since we have to be in at present. Fun memories of such an original soap series.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I haven't made a contribution to this thread in a while because I just haven't found the time or inclination to do a marathon of note. Tonight, with things settled down a bit I decided to a marathon not in honor of a specific actress, but in a bit of personal gallows humor, to a marathon of episodes that use the theme of epidemic and quarantine as a key plot point. It yielded an interesting diversity.

Harbor Patrol-"Smallpox"
-A sailor on a freighter arriving from China is diagnosed with smallpox. Because he thinks he's wanted on a murder charge, he escapes from the ambulance leading us to one of those classic "hunt for the guy before he causes an epidemic" plotlines.

Dr. Kildare, S1-"Immunity"
-This was the second episode of the series. A Polish man who can't speak English is found in alley and suffering from smallpox. Dr. Kildare and a female doctor of Polish ancestry (Gail Kobe) who hates her heritage must find out who he is. I hadn't seen this since Kildare first came out on DVD and I remember now that I wasn't impressed by its uber-theatricality (especially when Kobe has her epiphany moment at the climax). Ted Knight (a Polish-American himself) has a small part in the episode as the victim's son-in-law.

Emergency, S2-"Virus"
-A USO dancer (Cathy Lee Crosby) just back from Asia has come down with a rare virus that can't be isolated or determined. It spreads to a fellow paramedic and ultimately to Dr. Brackett and Fireman Gage. Deidre Hall in one of her several early episodes as Nurse Sally.

Star Trek, S2-"The Immunity Syndrome"
-Seemed appropriate. :) McCoy sure is quick with these diagnoses! (and a whole corridor is lined up in the Sickbay for stimulants within seconds after things strike!)

Wonder Woman, S1-"The Pluto File"
-From the superior World War 2 season which is genuine comic book fun. Robert Reed is an Irish mercenary spy (with bad fake accent) who is unwittingly a carrier of the Plague as he tries to sabotage the Top Secret project of Hayden Rorke.

Barney Miller, S3-"Quarantine"
-Two part episode. The men of the 12th (along with Inspector Luger and a hooker) are quarantined for the night as they wait to find out if they've been exposed to smallpox or chicken pox. This episode is the first for Ron Carey as Officer Levitt.

Battlestar Galactica-"Lost Planet Of The Gods"
-The two-part regular series debut following the three hour pilot movie. One plot point is an alien virus incapacitating most of the pilots in the Fleet fleeing the Cylon Empire. Also notable for Jane Seymour's final appearance as the doomed bride of Captain Apollo (Richard Hatch) and some second-unit work shot at the Egyptian pyramids as the stand-in for the "mother planet" Kobol.

-Galactica never gets enough credit for the fact that it was the first sci-fi series to break-out of the pure self-contained format of earlier shows like Trek. Individual episodes might have been self-contained but there was always a distinct forward momentum and it wasn't forgotten about next week. Jane Seymour meets a tragic end ultimately but unlike what we would have seen in earlier series, she doesn't become forgotten, as there are multiple references in the remainder of the show's run. Galactica is a series you can't watch out of sequence and that anticipated the future.

c3d00442e040b884c328b23028ea1034.jpg

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Murder One Season 1 Chapters 17-23

How are the episodes numbered? If I remember correctly ABC did not broadcast episode 9 so labeled episode 10 as "9" and so on. Then they showed hours 21 and 22 (originally to be retitled 20 and 21) as one broadcast titled "20" so the final hour 23 was broadcast as "21."

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The exception is the S1 episode "The Mystery of Witches Hollow" which is actually a faithful adaptation of Book #41 in the series "Clue Of The Screeching Owl" and is the only episode to prominently feature the character of Chet Morton from the books. The Chet character had just a brief appearance in one more episode and then the actor doing the role, Gary Springer, left the series to take a part in "Jaws 2".

Yeah, I liked the way they portrayed Chet in the Hardy Boys "The Mystery of Witches' Hollow" episode...too bad they didn't bring Gary Springer back...he was pretty close (in spirit, at least) to the book version of Chet. Ditto when they got rid of the characters of George and Ned after S2 in the Nancy Drew episodes.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I, too, like it when Elam shows up in a show. He's quite a character. Your description and that photo makes me want to get out my copy of F-Troop for another viewing. It was a favorite back than and I still like it quite a lot.

While you're at it, check out S2's "The Singing Mountie" with Paul Lynde. One of my favorite F Troop episodes.

1160af27796ccd1e16af3fe63332a482.jpg

Do you have The Dakotas, Howie? Aside from being a really good, tough western series, it has the added bonus of Jack Elam in a main starring role.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

Hawaii 5-O - Complete First Season

The Box (1.16) Gerald S. O'Loughlin, R. G. Armstrong, Gavin MacLeod, Al Harrington. In Oahu State Prison, cons led by Big Chicken want to bring Swanson to heel because he doesn't show enough respect for "the system." But Swanson manages to shoot one of his attackers with guns the cons had smuggled into the prison. Swanson gathers up prison guards as hostages to try to get out of the prison. Swanson says if he's not let out, he'll start killing the hostages. McGarrett offers himself up as a hostage to try to head off bloodshed.

"The Box" (production #220) featured two characters who appeared in other episodes of the first season. Gavin MacLeod's Big Chicken was first seen in "...And They Painted Daisies on His Coffin" (production #204). Gerald S. O'Loughlin also appeared as Swanson* in "Six Kilos" (production #217). Both of the earlier episodes showed how the characters wound up in prison (aka "The Box"). Unfortunately, "Six Kilos" was broadcast six episodes AFTER "The Box" (and no, it wasn't a flashback episode).

* The character was credited as Charlie Swanson in "The Box" and as Carl Swanson in "Six Kilos." But the coincidence of the same last name and the fact that "Six Kilos" was filmed or at least scheduled to be filmed first makes it all suspicious. Perhaps the name was changed in post-production before the episode(s) aired.
Trivia Note: "Six Kilos" was one of the episodes not shown in the original syndication run of 200 episodes.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While you're at it, check out S2's "The Singing Mountie" with Paul Lynde. One of my favorite F Troop episodes.

1160af27796ccd1e16af3fe63332a482.jpg

Do you have The Dakotas, Howie? Aside from being a really good, tough western series, it has the added bonus of Jack Elam in a main starring role.
I enjoy seeing Lynde show up in series, too.

No, I don't have a copy of The Dakotas as it's an overpriced Warner MOD DVD. I don't purchase many of those (movies or TV) because of the inflated prices and that they rarely go on sale at prices I'm willing to pay.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
LA Law: “Something Old, Something Nude” (10/10/1991): With the firm hemorrhaging money because of debt and defections — Abby is the latest, taking a higher-paying position with another firm when her father has a stroke — Douglas tries to get Leland to rent office space to gregarious entertainment lawyer Susan Bloom (Conchata Ferrell, Network). Leland objects vociferously until he hears the financial possibilities. Litigator Billy Castroverti (Tom Verica) joins the firm as an associate. Grace, now separated from Victor after a miscarriage and no longer partners with him and Kuzak, wants to make a deal with Leland for assistance on her latest case: defending accused murderer Elsa Chandler (Betty Buckley, Eight is Enough) on trial for killing an abusive husband. Complicating matters are the fact that she was having an affair with another man (H. Richard Greene) at the time of his death. Frank Kitterege (Michael Cumpsty) tries a case of a pornographer accused of illegal weapons possession; Gwen is a juror, and she interjects by citing precedent when Kitterege argues with Judge Swanson. After the trial, she talks to Leland about the logistics of going to law school at night and working at daytime. Ann (now a redhead) and Stuart learn that good help is hard to find, especially when it comes to child care for Matthew (now played by Landon and Logan Weber); when the nanny they hire (Holley Chant) brings a man (Sanjay) into the house, they fire her and replace her with a man named Ned (Brad Sherwood).

Susan Dey inherits first billing, while David E. Kelley becomes a consultant; Patricia Green and Rick Wallace succeed him as executive producers.

Original 20th Television Fox logo intact. This is the last year of its use. It was already half there since it’s the same music as the CGI 20th Television logo that replaced it.

LA Law: “TV or Not TV” (10/17/1991): Tommy leaves the Elsa Chandler trial when he and Grace disagree on whether the plea should be self-defense or temporary insanity. Her late husband’s ex-lover (Ely Pouget), who also says he beat her, takes the stand. Jonathan handles the case of a woman who died and left her estate to her husband: a Vietnam War soldier who has been MIA since a plane crash in 1970. However, his two sons (Robert Duncan MacNeill, Joseph Brutsman) can’t agree on whether he’s still alive; one wants to declare him legally dead, but the other wants to use the money to find him. Susan wants to introduce Arnie to the world of TV news, but his live debut alongside anchorwoman Julie Rayburn (Lauren Lane, The Nanny) doesn’t quite go as planned.

Original 20th Television Fox logo intact.

LA Law: “Do the Spike Thing” (10/31/1991): While out to dinner, a friend (Charles Levin, Alice) comes out to Douglas and wants him to be his best man at his upcoming wedding to another man. Then as the man leaves in his car, Douglas is on the receiving end of a gay bashing! Leland gets the wrong impression after he learns where this happened. Douglas refuses to press charges. Ann asks the judge (Anna Maria Horsford, Amen, Guiding Light) for a continuance on a trial involving a tree spiker (Marco Barricelli) against a logging company represented by Eugene Etter (Josh Taylor, Valerie, Days of our Lives) being defended by James Pavlik (Scott Bryce, the Facts of Life, As the World Turns), but she denies it. A logger (R. David Smith) who takes the stand lost an arm because of the incident. Tommy handles the case of a woman (Michol Briana White) charged with cocaine possession who is covering up for her boyfriend (Carlton Wilborn). C.J.’s hard-drinking actor father (David Hemmings, Blow-Up) comes to visit and spends a day with Susan, who knows people who can help him get a part. Tommy goes to Zoey’s house to find a surprise. Real-life Los Angeles county DA Marsha Clark, who later prosecuted O.J. Simpson for murder, makes an appearance.

LA Law: “Spleen it to Me, Lucy” (11/7/1991): Susan’s press conference with a pro wrestler (Andrew Bryniarski) branching out into film and TV production turns into a disaster when a reporter asks about his marital problems. The task of keeping her in line when the other partners and secretaries complain about her excesses falls with Roxanne. Zoey argues that a schizophrenic murderer (Steve Buscemi) deserves the death penalty. Billy defends a woman (Holly Near) suing a doctor (Thomas Kopache) for taking out her spleen and selling it for drug research without consent. Gwen admonishes Frank for dealing harshly with Benny. Watch for a young Greg Kinnear as a reporter.

This is the shortest episode yet, running 44 minutes.

LA Law: “Monkey on My Back Lot” (11/14/1991): Arnie and Roxanne clash over personal living habits, leading his therapist (Nicholas Pryor) to question why he never bought a house. Though it may turn out to be a precedent-setter, Grace is hesitant about taking a case involves a woman (Amanda Carlin) convicted of drug abuse and child abuse who had to have contraceptive implants to stay out of jail and now wants them removed. So she has lunch with the woman to talk to her but is shocked by her lack of remorse and responsibility. She asks Ann for advice on how to proceed. Leland mediates a divorce between two Hollywood animal trainers (Susan Barnes, M.C. Gainey); their biggest point of contention is custody of a chimpanzee named Jerry. While making the decision, the chimp stays with Leland. Tommy represents a tenants’ rights organization being sued by another tenant (Earl Billings, What’s Happening!!) over a gun ban that forced him to relinquish a firearm he bought for safety after surviving being caught in a crossfire.

From the “Hey Hey Hey” Department: Series director Tom Moore is not to be confused with former What’s Happening!! writer Tom Moore.

From the "Die Harder" Department: Earl Billings guest-starred on The Jeffersons as an employee of George’s who died on his couch. His character here meets an even more brutal fate off-screen. The fate of Rob, his What’s Happening!! character who owned the diner but was left out of the 1980s syndicated reboot What's Happening Now!!, was never discussed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I stumbled across a rather obscure BBC comedy, Fairly Secret Army a few days ago. It's never seen a physical release but I found all 13 episodes on youtube. It stars Geoffrey Palmer (The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Butterflies, As Time Goes By, and many others) and Dianne Fletcher (The Irish R.M, Coronation Street, House of Cards).

Palmer plays Major Harry Kitchener Wellington Truscott," a down-on-his-luck ex Army officer who in the first episode is stopped from committing suicide by "Nancy" (Diane Fletcher), whom Truscott proclaims a "do gooder." In another attempt he's stopped by an old "friend," "Bemish" (Jeremy Child), who's come into a great sum of money and offers to share it with Truscott. They come up with a scheme for the "Secret Army" and plan to have Truscott "woo" Bemish's sister as she owns the house, which they need as a base, while Bemish has the money. In walks Nancy - the "do gooder" who'd saved Truscott earlier.

The first episode or two are rather depressing and you wonder just how it's a "comedy." But it is (it's a lampoon of the ultra right of the times) and by episode 3 has overcome the rather downer beginning. It's somewhat a spin off of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and written by the Perrin's creator and writer, David Nobbs.

Geoffrey Palmer and Dianne Fletcher:
MV5BZjlkMjAyMzMtYjA0MC00NTQ4LWE5Y2MtYzk5NzhmNWRjNzc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

MV5BNjA4Y2FlOWMtNGM5Mi00ODkxLWE4MGYtOTUxYjNiOWJkNDI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

I'd love to get this one on an official, cleaned up/remastered, DVD set.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This week, I finished viewing the 1st and 2nd FAWLTY TOWERS series (1975 and 1979), with both the original audio and John Cleese commentary tracks. Hopefully, I'll get to the director for each series commentary tracks someday!

Yesterday, I got to watch the 2009 interviews, which were still fairly new when I purchased this DVD set sometime in 2009-10. However, my 1st attempt to play the complete interviews was a bust, as there was all sorts of weird heavily pixelated visuals when I selected the John Cleese Interview, and when selecting Andrew Sachs' Interview, all I got was audio, which briefly caused me to think these interviews were audio only. Later on, I tried blowing on the DVD surface, which appeared to be free of smudges and scratches. Nevertheless, this apparently did the trick, as today I was able to play all three complete interviews without any further issues. Go figure!

All in all, the 2009 FAWLTY TOWERS Complete Series DVD set is of very good quality, and is one set that I don't feel bad about not replacing with the 2019 Blu-ray release.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This afternoon, I decided to revisit THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW 50th Anniversary Edition 3 DVD set, which I barely touched after originally purchasing it several years back. It was a nice discovery that this set features guest spots by both Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis (Albeit, more of a brief cameo appearance for the latter!) in respectively, Season 1's "The Eating Contest" and Season 4's "Weekend Colonel" which was also the very last episode of the series. I watched both of these episodes today!

For those who might not be aware of Fred and Al's best remembered roles....

Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster and Al Lewis as Grandpa from THE MUNSTERS:
c00f7c77b1fb5b7381b6db326a51cb21.jpg

And also in CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU? (A series that I've seen far too little of!):
Car 54; Al and Fred.jpg

P.S. My apologies for the lack of screenshots from the actual series I've profiled in the last few posts!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I stumbled across a rather obscure BBC comedy, Fairly Secret Army a few days ago. It's never seen a physical release but I found all 13 episodes on youtube. It stars Geoffrey Palmer (The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Butterflies, As Time Goes By, and many others) and Dianne Fletcher (The Irish R.M, Coronation Street, House of Cards).

Palmer plays Major Harry Kitchener Wellington Truscott," a down-on-his-luck ex Army officer who in the first episode is stopped from committing suicide by "Nancy" (Dianne Fletcher), whom Truscott proclaims a "do gooder." In another attempt he's stopped by an old "friend," "Bemish" (Jeremy Child), who's come into a great sum of money and offers to share it with Truscott. They come up with a scheme for the "Secret Army" and plan to have Truscott "woo" Bemish's sister as she owns the house, which they need as a base, while Bemish has the money. In walks Nancy - the "do gooder" who'd saved Truscott earlier.

The first episode or two are rather depressing and you wonder just how it's a "comedy." But it is (it's a lampoon of the ultra right of the times) and by episode 3 has overcome the rather downer beginning. It's somewhat a spin off of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and written by the Perrin's creator and writer, David Nobbs.

Interesting stuff, Howie! I have heard of this obscure Britcom (it was discussed briefly on The Sitcom Club podcast), but haven't seen any episodes of the show itself. I do like the prolific Geoffrey Palmer, and apparently Liz Frazer of Carry On... fame is in the regular cast.

According to Wikipedia, John Cleese script edited the first series (season). I can't find any confirmation of this, but the title must be a play on the popular, late '70s drama, Secret Army, about a Belgian resistance movement against the Nazis during WWII.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
P.S. My apologies for the lack of screenshots from the actual series I've profiled in the last few posts!

No need to apologize, Tony...great to see you in this thread! I have that Phil Silvers Show 50th Anniversary Edition set you mention, but have yet to view the episodes with Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis...need to remedy that one of these days. Always get a kick out of those two.

Thanks also for the comments on the 2009 Fawlty Towers DVD set. Seems like you're watching the kind of content guaranteed to keep one's spirits up during this nerve-wracking and scary time. Stay well and keep posting!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Interesting stuff, Howie! I have heard of this obscure Britcom (it was discussed briefly on The Sitcom Club podcast), but haven't seen any episodes of the show itself. I do like the prolific Geoffrey Palmer, and apparently Liz Frazer of Carry On... fame is in the regular cast.

According to Wikipedia, John Cleese script edited the first series (season). I can't find any confirmation of this, but the title must be a play on the popular, late '70s drama, Secret Army, about a Belgian resistance movement against the Nazis during WWII.
Yes, Liz Fraser is there. Here's a shot of Liz with Richard Ridings (Eric the Viking and many others), Michael Robbins (On the Buses and many, many, others), and Diane Fletcher in a still from the show:
MV5BNDE2NDAyNjAtYWRkZC00NmRiLWI3NWItOGVkZWFjZmMxYTBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

I read that about Cleese on Wikipedia but, like you, couldn't verify it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This afternoon, I decided to revisit THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW 50th Anniversary Edition 3 DVD set, which I barely touched after originally purchasing it several years back. It was a nice discovery that this set features guest spots by both Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis (Albeit, more of a brief cameo appearance for the latter!) in respectively, Season 1's "The Eating Contest" and Season 4's "Weekend Colonel" which was also the very last episode of the series. I watched both of these episodes today!

For those who might not be aware of Fred and Al's best remembered roles....

Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster and Al Lewis as Grandpa from THE MUNSTERS:
View attachment 70655

And also in CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU? (A series that I've seen far too little of!): View attachment 70661

I love all 3 of three of those shows. The only one I didn't watch as a kid (original airings) was Car 54, Where Are You? as it came on while we were at church. I saw a smattering of episodes over the decades and finally saw it all when I purchased the DVDs. I watched both The Munsters and The Addams Family their premier years but for the 2nd season they scheduled The Munsters opposite Batman in the on Thursdays in the spring, and The Addams Family opposite Hogan's Heroes the whole season. That made for some rather tough viewing choices. Thanks to TVonDVD I can now watch any of them whenever I want and not miss an episode. :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This week, I finished viewing the 1st and 2nd FAWLTY TOWERS series (1975 and 1979), with both the original audio and John Cleese commentary tracks. Hopefully, I'll get to the director for each series commentary tracks someday!

Yesterday, I got to watch the 2009 interviews, which were still fairly new when I purchased this DVD set sometime in 2009-10. However, my 1st attempt to play the complete interviews was a bust, as there was all sorts of weird heavily pixelated visuals when I selected the John Cleese Interview, and when selecting Andrew Sachs' Interview, all I got was audio, which briefly caused me to think these interviews were audio only. Later on, I tried blowing on the DVD surface, which appeared to be free of smudges and scratches. Nevertheless, this apparently did the trick, as today I was able to play all three complete interviews without any further issues. Go figure!

All in all, the 2009 FAWLTY TOWERS Complete Series DVD set is of very good quality, and is one set that I don't feel bad about not replacing with the 2019 Blu-ray release.

No need to apologize, Tony...great to see you in this thread! I have that Phil Silvers Show 50th Anniversary Edition set you mention, but have yet to view the episodes with Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis...need to remedy that one of these days. Always get a kick out of those two.

Thanks also for the comments on the 2009 Fawlty Towers DVD set. Seems like you're watching the kind of content guaranteed to keep one's spirits up during this nerve-wracking and scary time. Stay well and keep posting!
What Jeff said...

I've purchased Fawlty Towers twice on DVD (the original 2001 release and the 2009 remaster), watch it as much as 3 times a year, and have never made time for the commentaries. I love the show so much I'll start intending to do that and wind up just watching the episodes normally - again. Just reading your comments makes me want to watch it again...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
More Hitchcock intros...my screen caps from the Universal DVDs...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents S2E4, Kill With Kindness (Oct. 21, 1956)...
Hitchcock: "Good evening. Television fans can be so demonstrative and unpredictable. At the time this happened, I was under the impression I was being put on a pedestal. My wife's not going to like this, she's always telling me not to leave my ashes on the floor. (lights his cigarette)..."
Hitch 147.JPG

Hitch 148.JPG

Hitch 149.JPG

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Alfred Hitchcock Presents S2E5, None Are So Blind (Oct. 28, 1956)...
"Good evening. The entertainment industry is always crying for new faces. I've decided to give them one. Not that there's anything wrong with the old one. In fact I think it's rather good. (looking into the mirror, it suddenly cracks!) Well. it could have been worse...what if I had cracked? See here is the one (putting on a wig) I've always wanted to be someone else. (looks again into the cracked mirror) That won't do, I look like a near-sighted throw rug..."
Hitch 151.JPG

Hitch 152.JPG

Hitch 153.JPG

Hitch 154.JPG

Hitch 155.JPG

Hitch 156.JPG

(Returns from commercial)...
"Hmm...I've decided not to be someone else after all. If I won't be myself, who will? However, allow me to indulge my exhibitionist tendencies with this quick-change demonstration. (Looks intently into the camera)

"The Alfred Hitchcock of today!"
Hitch 157.JPG

(quickly turns his back and crouching down, musses with his face and hair, and abruptly turns again to face camera)
Hitch 158.JPG

"The Alfred Hitchcock of thirty years ago!"
Hitch 159.JPG

"The secret of this transformation is simple. I just removed my wallet!"...
Hitch 160.JPG

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
So, I've been spending my stay-in-place time re-watching Route 66 episodes on Prime. I'm finding the more comedic storylines have grown to be my favorite, although Lance of Straw (S1E2)--certainly not a "fun" episode--is well worth it just for the appearance of Janice Rule, who is the most unbelievably gorgeous shrimp boat captain that ever existed. Ann Helm in The Clover Throne (S1E15) runs a close second as the very correctly dubbed 'Sweet Thing' who just oozes lust from every pore.
Stirling Silliphant, who writes most of the shows, must turn himself inside out in creating such esoteric dialog between Tod and Buzz that no 20-something year old would ever be able to express in real life. God knows I never talked like that--my most poetic prattle generally started out with "Will ya look at that chick..."

View attachment 70532 View attachment 70533
images

A shrimp boat captain and a most assuredly Sweet Thing; and Patty McCormack, who was just beginning to fill out nicely...

Sleep on Four Pillows
is a fun one with a very young Patty McCormack who hoodwinks Tod and Buzz into thinking she's in the mafia. What's most interesting in the episode is the concept of computers via 1961-- the size of Buick Roadmasters with about as much storage data as fits on a business card.
They're all great episodes, always made a bit better while sipping a straight up vodka martini.
You need to stick with this series,Russ! The girls of Route 66 are just as gorgeous as the girls of 77 Sunset Strip. With many in common also. One of the great joys of watching our classic TV shows!

I have been busy being a nurse. My wife is recovering from her surgery and is becoming a bit more mobile each day. Her ankle is having adjustments to make with the changing weather here in Middle Georgia. Due to my caretaker duties and the continued "shelter in place" directives, I have been watching a lot of classic television as well as movies and the few network shows with new episodes.
Hope you and family are doing well, Doug! In addition to care-giving, you are certainly making good use of your time with more, impressive, classic TV viewing!

he Dakota's - Complete Series
Glad you are enjoying this great, although short run, Western classic! One of those rare shows that we have only been able to discover via Warner Archive's DVD release.

Daniel Boone -The Complete Season 2
Doug, be careful when you binge-watch Daniel Boone, ha, ha. When I binge watched this series, I found myself singing the theme song uncontrollably! Even forgetting myself and singing it out loud in public places, like my bank, where the young'uns beheld me with pity...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks