What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
That's why comedy, SF, Fantasy, and Westerns make up the bulk of my TVonDVD collection. While there are a few exceptions, I've never cared for police, procedural, courtroom, hospital, or other "serious" drama type programs. I want to escape from the world's problems and those more realistic shows just do not provide that option. I'd watch some with my wife (that's the bulk of her watching) but would usually read a book/magazine while they were on. Now that we have separate TVs and viewing rooms I'm not tied to her tastes and she doesn't have to put up with mine (she doesn't care for 90% of what I watch). :)

I was surprised one day when I walked in and found her watching Charmed and commented "What are you doing watching a show I like?!?" She has this aversion to SF or Fantasy of any type so it totally caught me off guard! :D

I agree on tv as escape and yet I love mystery programs too. However, we find that we're drawn to mystery with comedy. Shows like Psych - Monk - Jonathan Creek are favorites - but also fantasy - recently we were watching Merlin. Late night viewing is vintage variety programs when we can find them - currently Hollywood Palace from youtube.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I agree on tv as escape and yet I love mystery programs too. However, we find that we're drawn to mystery with comedy. Shows like Psych - Monk - Jonathan Creek are favorites - but also fantasy - recently we were watching Merlin. Late night viewing is vintage variety programs when we can find them - currently Hollywood Palace from youtube.
I forgot about Mysteries. I don't typically consider them "heavy drama" type programs. And I fully agree on the "mystery with comedy" type program. Monk is a favorite, as is Murder She Wrote, Rockford Files (although it's more detective than mystery), Poirot/Marple, and others.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
That's why comedy, SF, Fantasy, and Westerns make up the bulk of my TVonDVD collection. While there are a few exceptions, I've never cared for police, procedural, courtroom, hospital, or other "serious" drama type programs. I want to escape from the world's problems and those more realistic shows just do not provide that option. I'd watch some with my wife (that's the bulk of her watching) but would usually read a book/magazine while they were on. Now that we have separate TVs and viewing rooms I'm not tied to her tastes and she doesn't have to put up with mine (she doesn't care for 90% of what I watch). :)

I was surprised one day when I walked in and found her watching Charmed and commented "What are you doing watching a show I like?!?" She has this aversion to SF or Fantasy of any type so it totally caught me off guard! :D

That's a good idea, I should count my different genres as percentages of my collection.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
On cable TV with ads of course! She won't put a disc in the player at all. She still watches it that way.

Shortly after that we saw a 2-pack of S1/S2 at WM in the run-up to Christmas and she said "I'd like to have that one." Me: "Really?" She: "Yes. I like that show." Of course my collecting self jumped on that and got it for her for Christmas. She opened the box, said "Oh..." and a few months later gave it to me to put with my sets: "Here... you keep this with your stuff. I don't want it." (Really!?! After specifically telling me you wanted it and me getting confirmation!?!?!) Since I'd started the series I slowly purchased all the seasons. I just opened them a few months back when my granddaughters (ages 11 & 6) had missed the show on "live" TV one snow day so I opened the S1 set for them. As a rough guess I'd say that was 5-6 years between the purchase and them watching that season.

I never get tired of these funny (albeit infuriating for you) stories of yours, Howie! I feel your pain. I guess most of us guys in this hobby are used to our wives not quite sharing our interests. My wife puts up with my disc buying and old TV show watching with patience and equanimity...but rarely watches with me, unless it's a particular favorite, like a Joan Hickson Miss Marple or Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, for example. She'd likely watch more with me, but, though her English is very good, she needs subtitles and of course most DVD sets don't have Japanese subs. She's an avid Netflix watcher, though, and we'll sometimes watch stuff together that way. Recently she's been going through the Miss Fisher Mysteries (we're both mystery / detective show fans, as you can see.)

So she'll be scrolling through Netflix and say, "Oh, look, it's Star Trek," and I'll point to the shelf next to the sofa and say, "It's right there, on Blu-Ray. You can pop it in anytime and watch." But does she ever do it? No. Never.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have just now taken green flag on The Magician (seen pilot in entirety, OAD 3/17/73 on NBC)

nascargreenflag.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Have just now taken green flag on The Magician (seen pilot in entirety, OAD 3/17/73 on NBC)

View attachment 45447

How's the viewing going? What's your verdict on the pilot movie? The only thing I really remember about what little I've seen of The Magician is that killer theme song.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
How's the viewing going?

Don't know how to answer your question about the pilot, but I will answer this question: I am up to the 3rd regular episode, "Illusion in Terror" (OAD Tues. Oct. 23, 1973 on NBC).

And one other thing: my copy of that Magician release has a panel that detaches from the holder that holds the first disc; this panel has the second and third discs on it (in essence, my copy is of a different design than was previously depicted, at least where the disc packaging is concerned).

Yet another: each episode (at least from what I've seen so far) is divided into 7-minute segments, of which there are seven such (the pilot, however, had ten chapters of 7 min. apiece, and one more of the final three minutes).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Don't know how to answer your question about the pilot, but I will answer this question: I am up to the 3rd regular episode, "Illusion in Terror" (OAD Tues. Oct. 23, 1973 on NBC).

I guess what I meant was, what do you think of the pilot and series so far? Do you like the show? Are the shows interesting? Do the hour-long episodes hold up to the quality of the pilot? Is it a blind buy for you, or are you already a fan? Things like that.

I'm just curious about other members' take on certain series. I've read Doug and Rodney's take on the series in its dedicated thread, but am always glad to hear more views from others. It helps me make up my mind about purchasing a series, yes, but I also just like reading what other people think about what they watch.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I guess what I meant was, what do you think of the pilot and series so far? Do you like the show? Are the shows interesting? Do the hour-long episodes hold up to the quality of the pilot? Is it a blind buy for you, or are you already a fan? Things like that.

Ah! Now as you put it that way, let's just say that, at least IMO, for one thing, this Tony, and the other Tony I enjoyed before (defense attorney Petrocelli), are far outstripping another Tony who has been more known in television history, that being one named Nelson, of I Dream of Jeannie fame in the 60s (the late, great Larry Hagman). I don't know about you, but I don't think I ever could get into Jeannie.

And yes, this was a blind go, because of, like I said, interest in this show per the discussion of same in another thread.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Watched The Andy Griffith Show Season 4 // Citizens Arrest and Opie's ill gotten gain (that one will always remind me of my Dad and when he saw my Report cards because like Opie, me and Math did not get along lol) any Number of Episodes of Dragnet from 1969 //And I Downloaded 3 volumes of Dragnet on Radio from I tunes and have listened to them ..

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ah! Now as you put it that way, let's just say that, at least IMO, for one thing, this Tony, and the other Tony I enjoyed before (defense attorney Petrocelli), are far outstripping another Tony who has been more known in television history, that being one named Nelson, of I Dream of Jeannie fame in the 60s (the late, great Larry Hagman). I don't know about you, but I don't think I ever could get into Jeannie.

And yes, this was a blind go, because of, like I said, interest in this show per the discussion of same in another thread.

Thanks for the response. It's funny, I've not watched I Dream of Jeannie for ages...I remember that Hagman's character was named Nelson, but couldn't have told you his first name if my life depended on it (at least, not without consulting IMDB). I have OK memories of the show from my youth, but mainly remember it as more of a Bewitched clone. My main memory is of Barbara Eden, who in her harem costume is all kinds of yummy.) Silly as it may be, I'd still take it any day of the week over most 70s sitcoms.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I watched episodes of My Favorite Martian on YouTube despite owning seasons 1 and 3 on DVD. It's more convenient to stream, especially when I'm using it as background noise to sleep by. They are distributed by PRO to YouTube, the same distributor on Hulu. Some run about 23 minutes, while others run the full 25 minutes. I don't believe they're "edited," but time sped slightly. The music and the voices seem just a shade bit "fast."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks