What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The lovely Suzanne Lloyd appeared in quite a few episodes as different characters.
Ron, I recently got a heck of a deal on Shout's complete series DVD of The Saint, and have enjoyed revisiting that series. I agree with you on preferring the older B+W episodes to the later color seasons...but there are great episodes throughout the run, with one of my favorite latter episodes being the one with Suzanne Lloyd playing a prima donna movie queen filming an ancient epic in Rome, very much evoking Elizabeth Taylor while filming Cleopatra...the luscious Lois Maxwell is also in that one!

Where are you watching The Saint from? I haven't checked to see if it is on Amazon Prime, one of the few streaming services I have, along with the recently launched Disney+...but I do almost all of my classic TV viewing via my DVD/Blu collection.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Now for a question. I've never been a fan of the Bond franchise, but watching Sir Roger Moore has me rethinking that. As a fan of The Saint, would I enjoy his interpretation of 007? I know I'm out of the realm of TV, but I'm seriously curious. I know several actors have had the Bond role. Would I be better to start with the movies before he took over the franchise? I don't want to derail our topic at hand, but I'm sure Amazon has them streaming, either free with Prime or a small rental fee.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Ron, I recently got a heck of a deal on Shout's complete series DVD of The Saint, and have enjoyed revisiting that series. I agree with you on preferring the older B+W episodes to the later color seasons...but there are great episodes throughout the run, with one of my favorite latter episodes being the one with Suzanne Lloyd playing a prima donna movie queen filming an ancient epic in Rome, very much evoking Elizabeth Taylor while filming Cleopatra...the luscious Lois Maxwell is also in that one!

Where are you watching The Saint from? I haven't checked to see if it is on Amazon Prime, one of the few streaming services I have, along with the recently launched Disney+...but I do almost all of my classic TV viewing via my DVD/Blu collection.
It's on Prime. I saw several of our forum members talking about it a couple of weeks ago. I had just finished up Yancy Derringer on Prime and was looking for a new show to stream. I think I do want to invest in the DVD set, though. My DSL connection is lousy, and I often get either a lousy picture or an error message saying it can't connect. I think my blu ray player would do a fine job of upscaling the DVD's.

I've noticed Suzanne on several episodes. I did love the movie queen bit with her as Delilah. The pastor of the church I used to attend had a fond habit of saying that Samson took a nap in the wrong lap! When I saw the episode title, I immediately thought of that, but I figured it would be Simon taking a nap in the wrong lap this time!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great commentary and screen caps on Bat Masterson, Randy! Gotta love Hollywood's idea of native Indians' features: Robert Conrad?! Ranks right up there with Ray Walston as a Martian.
Thanks Russ. We do have to swallow hard on occasion with some of the old school casting, don't we? But the more ethnically improbable castings are delightful to me. I recently saw uber-WASP Arthur Hill cast as a Cosa Nostra Godfather on QM's The FBI. That kind of thing was political on that series, as QM actually worried what Frank Sinatra and the Mafia goons who ran the "Italian American Anti-Defamation League" actually thought. A Genovese crime family under-boss actually ran that erstwhile organization up until he was shot in a gangland hit while staging a BS rally in Washington Square park in the summer of 1971, hilarious at the time. Sinatra cancelled the next fundraiser at MSG for that fall, ha, ha...And all this while real Mafia were on set as technical advisers on Coppola's The Godfather. But TV shows like The FBI and Hawaii 5-0 buckled under the PC pressure...

And another memorable howler was William Shatner as a Sumatran merchant seaman come ashore in NYC on a season two Naked City, Without Stick or Sword...the Shat hits the fan for epic miscasting as he plays some guy named "Maung Tun" (!!!)...

And, of course, Shat speaks with all the eloquence of scriptwriter Stirling Silliphant...and a real Asian-American actress, Pilar Seurat, has to play these scenes without laughing out loud...but this is lovable for me, regardless...classic/vintage TV is like a box of chocolates...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Now for a question. I've never been a fan of the Bond franchise, but watching Sir Roger Moore has me rethinking that. As a fan of The Saint, would I enjoy his interpretation of 007? I know I'm out of the realm of TV, but I'm seriously curious. I know several actors have had the Bond role. Would I be better to start with the movies before he took over the franchise? I don't want to derail our topic at hand, but I'm sure Amazon has them streaming, either free with Prime or a small rental fee.
Maybe... I prefer Sir Sean Connery's Bond over all of the others. Things started to lighten up with some really "out there" plots when Roger Moore took over the role. In spite of that I enjoy the Bond films he made, just not as much as the Connery ones (and one of my favorites is the George Lazenby "one off" On Her Majesty's Secret Service, filmed between Connery's last 2 efforts). It's been a long time since I've seen episodes of The Saint (but not for lack of owning a copy of the series). What I recall of Moore in the role is he took some of the same attitude and style to the Bond films in which he appeared. When it comes to Bond, I watch Connery's films the most, then Lazenby, then Moore. I rarely watch any of the others (but own a copy of every film in the franchise).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

I prefer Timothy Dalton's portrayal the best. I think he comes the closest to the way Ian Fleming wrote the character. Unfortunately the two movies he was in were more like the over-the-top Roger Moore films. Some of the early Connery films are the best overall, as they were faithful to the novels they were based on. Daniel Craig has brought some grit back to the role, but by now the films are basically action-adventure and no longer espionage stories so they really have little to do with Ian Fleming's character.

To swing this back to TV shows on dvd, I think Roger Moore was very good as Simon Templar. When he took over the role of 007 he essentially played it the same way, but the smirk and lightheartedness just didn't play as well as it had in The Saint.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This past week I watched S5 of Hart to Hart finding that the cheese factor I'd noticed in S4 was ramped up a bit in S5. That was mostly in the fight and chase sequences but some in the scripts. A few were just downright poorly plotted and/or executed with too many "convenient" escapes and efforts at subterfuge/detection avoidance. It was still a fun season, but a lesser one.

While highly rated on IMDB, the season opener, which presents the meeting, courtship, and engagement of Jonathan and Jennifer was, IMHO, one of the lesser episodes. The whole "courtship" took 2-3 days with a few instances of dialog/events that contradict themselves. Within the scope of the series I guess it worked OK and it *is* somewhat of a romcom at times so there's that.

I followed that by starting S4 of The Rockford Files, an old favorite. I've not seen this season since it first aired and am finding it to hold up rather well. Of course you still wonder how he can seemingly take so many pro-bono cases, constantly wreck/damage his car, and still have the money to get it repaired by "next week," much less pay the other bills. OK... so he's usually hounded by bill collectors, but... I'm about half-way through that season.

I'm currently taking a short break by watching Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, the original screening edit before the suits at 20th demanded a more upbeat ending and less violence, from a recently purchased copy of the "Complete Movie Collection" (has the 5 original films, Burton's "reimagining," and the 3 films from the new series). I may watch Battle... (the worst film of the series - even worse than Burton's film) before resuming Rockford.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This past week I watched S5 of Hart to Hart finding that the cheese factor I'd noticed in S4 was ramped up a bit in S5. That was mostly in the fight and chase sequences but some in the scripts. A few were just downright poorly plotted and/or executed with too many "convenient" escapes and efforts at subterfuge/detection avoidance. It was still a fun season, but a lesser one. While highly rated on IMDB, the season opener which presents the meeting, courtship, and engagement of Jonathan and Jennifer was, IMHO, one of the lesser episodes. The whole "courtship" took 2-3 days with a few instances of dialog/events that contradict themselves. Within the scope of the series I guess it worked OK and it *is* somewhat of a romcom at times so there's that.

I hate to say it, but only two (yes, only two) of those fifth-and-final-season outings were strong enough to hold my interest and exceed expectations: "Pandora Has Wings" (OAD Tues. Oct. 25, 1983 on ABC; fourth episode on first disc), and "Love Game" (OAD Tues. Nov. 8, 1983 on ABC; second episode on second disc; this w/the late Adam West, and aired one week after my father's 44th birthday).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I hate to say it, but only two (yes, only two) of those fifth-and-final-season outings were strong enough to hold my interest and exceed expectations: "Pandora Has Wings" (OAD Tues. Oct. 25, 1983 on ABC; fourth episode on first disc), and "Love Game" (OAD Tues. Nov. 8, 1983 on ABC; second episode on second disc; this w/the late Adam West, and aired one week after my father's 44th birthday).
Yes, I agree about those 2 being among the season's stand-out episodes.

While not really all that good (and full of those incongruities I mentioned earlier) the last episode, "Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch," kept my interest due to the presence of the lovely Melanie Vincz and other guest stars:

Patrick Macnee as the main villain:

Denny Miller was the main henchman
qt7j38zinecw3q8c.jpg

Seen here with James Garner in a Rockford Files episode I watched yesterday:
MV5BZTA0MDA0YzUtYzU2Yy00MjI5LTliZjUtYWVjMjNjMjcwOTQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1362,1000_AL_.jpg

It was enjoyable more for the guest stars than the actual plot - Macnee's character hired look-alikes to play Jonathan and Jennifer while they were on a trip while he took over the house and used them to fool a jeweler into bringing several millions worth of jewels he planned to steal. But, surprise!, the real Jonathan and Jennifer come home early and he thinks they're the actors who've been hired. They then do everything possible to thwart the plan (including intercepting the look-alikes and locking them in the wine cellar).

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And another memorable howler was William Shatner as a Sumatran merchant seaman come ashore in NYC on a season two Naked City, Without Stick or Sword...the Shat hits the fan for epic miscasting as he plays some guy named "Maung Tun" (!!!)...

And, of course, Shat speaks with all the eloquence of scriptwriter Stirling Silliphant...and a real Asian-American actress, Pilar Seurat, has to play these scenes without laughing out loud...but this is lovable for me, regardless...classic/vintage TV is like a box of chocolates...

If the Trek fans were more aware of that particular guest shot of the Shat, they would *really* have a field day with it!

I've noticed in general that in TV's classic era that if the part required an Asian woman there was no shortage of authentic actresses like Seurat, Nobu McCarthy etc. but for an Asian male the rule always seemed to be that if James Shigeta wasn't available, it would *always* be a Westerner or some other ethnicity playing Asian in makeup (the low-point of course being Vito Scotti's Japanese sailor in "Gilligan's Island")

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Started the final season of Mannix. Kind of a radical car change but I like it, looks like a Camaro (car guys can correct me if I’m wrong, haven’t seen a badge closeup).
Moving through Doc Martin rapidly. Very funny British show. Wasn’t sure I’d like it but got the complete series plus the movies for $5.
After the finish of these two, it’s the usual question. Start something new as I have many to choose from. Leaning to getting Hulu so I can finish St Elsewhere, I have the first / only season on DVD. Really enjoyed it.
Or....rewatch a favorite. Would like to watch Rockford again but kind of waiting to see if iTunes gets it in HD. I’d buy the MC Blu-ray set if they had included subtitles or CC but unfortunately they didn’t.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Started the final season of Mannix. Kind of a radical car change but I like it, looks like a Camaro (car guys can correct me if I’m wrong, haven’t seen a badge closeup).

Same way I felt about that fifth and final go on The Streets of San Francisco-- Michael Douglas kept that a well-oiled, well-tuned machine from 1972-76, whereas Richard Hatch was like changing engines on pit road near the end of the race.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm about 1/3 of the way through S6 of The Saint. I really haven't found a weak episode, although a few here and there were a bit less top notch. Roger Moore's cockiness as Simon Templar is funny. I chuckle when the halo appears above his head, especially with the look he gives. No matter what, you know Simon is going to find his way out of the jam. I think I like the b&w episodes a little better. The color episodes are still good, but it just seems it lost some of its edge. I do, however, like the theme song better for the last two seasons. The scenery on the show is absolutely outstanding:

MV5BMjIxNDU5Njc1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDkwNDE1NTE@._V1_UY268_CR87,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed The Saint, Ron! I have a special fondness for the color episodes, as those were the only ones syndicated in my region when I was growing up in the 70s. (Roger Moore apparently owned the rights to the color episodes, which is why they often got preferential treatment). The more I watch of the black-and-white episodes, though, the more I tend to agree with your and Randall's opinion that they are arguably stronger than the color ones...though there are quite a few color episodes that are among the best of the entire series. Overall, it's a very fine run of episodes and Roger Moore carries the role off in grand style. This is one of the cornerstone series that made me fall in love with not only ITC productions but British television programs in general.

Regarding your James Bond movie query...I'm quite fond of Roger Moore's Bond films, they're a lot of fun, but I agree with the general consensus that he makes a better Saint than he does 007. Sean Connery and George Lazenby (in my favorite Bond film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service) get my vote as the best. But I do rate Moore's For Your Eyes Only as one of the best of the series, a nice, stripped down, mostly serious 007 adventure.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Sea Hunt S2E6, The Stunt (Feb. 8, 1959)...
View attachment 69395

Lisa Gaye...rowr! She really fills out a wetsuit (or a swimsuit)...

Lisa%2BGaye%2B3.jpg

Lisa%2BGaye%2B1950s%2Band%2B1960s%2B%25288%2529.jpg

Love Sea Hunt! Have the 64-episode sampler set that TGG Direct put out before they released the individual seasons. Was planning on grabbing the complete series pack but hemmed and hawed over it...and now it appears that it might be OOP. Oops is right! Am monitoring the situation (it's gone temporarily out-of-print on Amazon before, but then became available again) and hopefully will be able to snag a copy...or failing that, at least one or two complete seasons. Not sure if "The Stunt" or "Water Ski Show" are included on my sampler set, Randall...but thanks for the fine screencaps!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
MV5BNDJjNTA1MjEtMjhiNS00YzkzLTkyMGQtM2NhODc4NzZlZWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDIwNTUxMg@@._V1_.jpg

The lovely Suzanne Lloyd appeared in quite a few episodes as different characters.

Not to mention Sue Lloyd, who appeared in two episodes of The Saint, along with co-starring with Steve Forrest in The Baron around the same time.

7962956960_0f3205ce39_b.jpg

You're spot on, Ron - The Saint did feature wonderful scenery. ;)

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Young Robert Conrad's finishing school at the ZIV studio shows concluded with his showcase appearance on Highway Patrol season 4 episode 23, Revenge (Mar. 9, 1959), whereupon Warner Brothers would be the ultimate beneficiary, scooping him up for the next 4 years with Hawaiian Eye...23 year old Robert Conrad plays a relentless vigilante hellbent on revenging the accidental death of his father...his own family can't dissuade him from pursuing this deranged mission, so it will be up to Dan Mathews revolver to stop him instead...a young Dianne Cannon is also in this episode...my screen caps from the TGG Direct DVD set...
Conrad 60.JPG

Conrad 59.JPG

Conrad 87.JPG

Conrad 63.JPG

Conrad 64.JPG

Another ZIV bad guy driving a family station wagon...once again, a new Ford Country Squire...the more upscale ZIV bad guys drove DeSoto Adventurers, Fireflights and Firedomes, very expensive luxury cars in 1958...the rotten Commies also chose the deluxe rides...
Conrad 66.JPG

Conrad 67.JPG

Good ol' Dan Mathews of Highway Patrol...he kept the peace in California back when it was still a law abiding state...the streets safe for decent folks and the death house full up...ol' sparky as the electric chair was called in those days...do I sound like grandpa Simpson?, ha, ha...
Conrad 68.JPG

Conrad 69.JPG

Conrad 70.JPG

The good guys drive a brand new Dodge Coronet...and sometimes a Chrysler Imperial or Buick Special...two and a half tons of two fisted, all American Detroit steel...and what looked to be 500 pounds of chrome, and 50 pounds of Turtle wax...ha, ha...
Conrad 73.JPG

William Boyett back on duty as Broderick Crawford's right hand man...as you may recall, he turned up on one of Robert Conrad's Sea Hunt episodes too...helping out Lloyd Bridges, while sporting a mustache that simply would not do in the Highway Patrol!...The Hollywood Patrol, maybe!
Conrad 74.JPG

Conrad 75.JPG

Conrad 76.JPG

Angry young Robert Conrad waiting in ambush...problem is, Dan Mathews shows up just as his target does also...
Conrad 77.JPG

He breaks cover and foolishly engages deadeye shot Dan Mathews in a running gunfight...should have thought that through, buddy! God help you, as ol' Dan Mathews is really pissed at having his golfing weekend ruined!
Conrad 80.JPG

Conrad 81.JPG

Conrad 82.JPG

Conrad 83.JPG

Conrad 86.JPG

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Lisa Gaye...rowr! She really fills out a wetsuit (or a swimsuit)...
Had I known of your obsessive prurient interest in Lisa Gaye, I would have taken more screen caps of her from those episodes, Jeff! Ha, ha...I should have known, and she does fill out that Scuba wetsuit nicely doesn't she?

Love Sea Hunt! Have the 64-episode sampler set that TGG Direct put out before they released the individual seasons. Was planning on grabbing the complete series pack but hemmed and hawed over it...and now it appears that it might be OOP. Oops is right! Am monitoring the situation (it's gone temporarily out-of-print on Amazon before, but then became available again) and hopefully will be able to snag a copy...or failing that, at least one or two complete seasons. Not sure if "The Stunt" or "Water Ski Show" are included on my sampler set, Randall...but thanks for the fine screencaps!
I hope you can find some good deals on the old TGG season sets of Sea Hunt, Highway Patrol etc...when they first came out, they were so inexpensive that I felt a little guilty in getting them for so cheap...God bless TGG Direct for releasing them, along with Bat Masterson and Ripcord...I was in ZIV heaven, along with those great ZIV shows previously released by Timeless (West Point, Harbor Command, Tombstone Territory, McKenzie's Raiders)...and Shout added Science Fiction Theatre also...I wish we had gotten more ZIV shows on DVD, as so many great series remain in the MGM TV vaults...like the others, Sea Hunt is a tremendous '50s artifact...while diving deep to dredge up these early Robert Conrad appearances, I found myself fascinated by season two's Operation Greenback, a Crystal Springs Florida filmed episode where Mike Nelson is forced to help some bank robbers break into a flooded bank vault, tunneling from the inter-coastal waterway...of course, there's an underwater fight where the money floats around in the tumult of the flooded bank vault, spectacular visually! I'll probably go back and take some screen shots of that one too. And that episode follows another Leonard Nimoy episode, The Alcatraz Story...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks