1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Man, Robert Conrad looks so young in that Lawman episode! Great bunch of screencaps again there, Randall. Next to Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain, there aren't too many actors who can pull off stern and intimidating quite like John Russell.

2. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Great post and screen caps from The Persuaders The Long Goodbye, Jeff! I'm in love with Nicola Pagett, who as I mentioned earlier, was in one of my top ten Danger Man episodes, The Mirror's New. For me, she's unforgettable in that superb 1965 episode with Patrick McGoohan, representing something akin to delightful, though mercenary, magic in a single extended scene! I'm working on doing a more elaborate post on this Danger Man episode soon, but here are just a few screen caps I took from my A+E DVD complete series set...
    Danger Man 32.JPG
    Danger Man 33.JPG
    Danger Man 35.JPG
    Danger Man 37.JPG
    Danger Man 41.JPG
    Danger Man 42.JPG
    Danger Man 50.JPG
    Danger Man 44.JPG

Thanks, Jeff. John Russell is great in Lawman, isn't he? He certainly sports a withering and intense glare. In WW2, he saw combat with the first Marine Division, the "old breed", in the hellish Guadalcanal campaign...
    Lawman 12.JPG
    Interesting that you mentioned Chuck Connors, I think these guys have the very same athletic build and towering stature, impressive and intimidating when need be. About young Robert Conrad...I'm going to dig up more of his very early appearances in Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Maverick and Bat Masterson as soon as I can. Though he was only 23 in that Lawman episode, he certainly displays a commanding and assured bearing already, certainly the attributes that Warner saw in him with his casting on Hawaiian Eye, which was certainly filming already when he did Maverick, Colt .45 and Lawman.

4. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Excellent screencaps showcasing the unique beauty of Nicola Pagett, Randall! I haven't seen that particular Danger Man episode...an oversight I need to correct in the immediate future.

[​IMG]

As much as I admire both John Russell and Chuck Connors, I felt a photo of Ms. Pagett would be more appreciated by the cognoscenti (i.e. lascivious hetero dudes) that frequent this thread. ;)

5. Message #3665 of 3947 Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I think you would find this episode a rewarding experience, Jeff. IMHO, Nicola Pagett isn't the only great thing about it. But wow, does she make an impression! In the exceptional cold war authenticity that this series exudes, this episode is loaded with a lot of wry humor, witty and brilliant in my book. It would be torturous to compile a top 10 list for this great series, but I know I'd have to put The Mirror's New among them...as I would the next episode in the series run, the equally brilliant Colony Three !

Danger Man S1E21 The Mirror's New (June 5, 1965) W: Phillip Broadley D: Michael Truman. M-9 (in actuality, the real life MI-6) agent John Drake (Patrick McGoohan) travels to Paris at the behest of the British ambassador, Sir Jeremy (David Hutcheson), to investigate the disappearance of diplomat Edmund Bierce (Donald Houston), who's duties include a weekly shuttle to Bonn West Germany (the capital in those days) with classified documents to the Chancellor's office to consult with his "opposite number"...clearly a reference to the BND, the West German secret service in the government of real life Chancellor Willy Brandt...Drake, as is his wont to do, immediately ruffles feathers by suggesting that "perhaps he has defected?", whereupon an offended Sir Jeremy retorts that Bierce is a good Cambridge boy, a "captain in the rifles with a DSO and Bar" (decorated for valor multiple times). Sir Jeremy is completely oblivious to the irony of invoking Cambridge, the alma mater of notorious upper crust traitors like Philby, Maclean, Burgess, Blunt and Cairncross in real life...Drake is unimpressed, and as we are given so little background on his character's past, I'm led to believe that Drake's cynicism is drawn from his own working class resentment of the decadent and all too comfortable British upper crust...no one is aware of the truth, that the married Bierce lives a womanizing parallel life, maintaining a secret love nest in Montmartre, garishly decorated as though by Hugh Hefner himself, and that he is also a murderer, having dispatched a money lender who has financed his secret escapades...but the money lender was also a Soviet agent who's minions are now searching for him...Bierce's problems are compounded by having brained himself in a clumsy accident while hiding evidence, being knocked unconscious and incommunicado for 36 hours, and missing his appointment in Bonn...my screen caps from the A+E complete series set...
    Danger Man 1.JPG
    Danger Man 6.JPG
    Danger Man 7.JPG
    Danger Man 3.JPG
    Danger Man 4.JPG

"If you knew me better, you would have been more cautious"...Bierce's gunfire is muffled by his record player...timed to the swelling crescendo of Ravel's Bolero...his music to kill by...Bo Derek in the much later movie 10, only made love to this classic romantic anthem...
    Danger Man 5.JPG

John Drake, the cold-as-ice spy...a world weary cynicism worn as his armor...
    Danger Man 8.JPG

Drake first interviews Bierce's wife (Mary Yeomans)...she's an ice queen, resentful of Drake's intrusion...he boldly shuffles through her books ("I don't see any Karl Marx") and her music, Ravel, Debussy, Chopin ("you have romantic tastes")...she's outraged, saying "I despise familiarity" and gives Drake a slap across his face!
    Danger Man 9.JPG

The British embassy...
    Danger Man 10.JPG

Bierce shocks everyone, turning up at the embassy as though nothing is wrong...he's shocked to discover he was missing for 36 hours, missing an entire day and his appointment in Bonn...that's what a concussion will do for you while you spend a few fevered hours hiding a body...he's relieved that his classified documents are safe for his rescheduled visit to Bonn, although Drake will surreptitiously remove 2 pages in his carefully crafted bid to discover what Bierce's secret really is...Drake and another M-9 agent follow him to Bonn...
    Danger Man 11.JPG
    Danger Man 12.JPG
    Danger Man 13.JPG

In what might be the first ever depiction of night vision technology on television, Drake maintains after dark surveillance on Bierce...a first generation system still requiring illumination of the target by infra-red lamp...such systems weren't new, as the Germans developed this tech in WW2, but the general public was only beginning to become aware of night vision tech because of it's widespread usage in the Vietnam war...I myself used a somewhat more advanced IT "Starlight" rifle mounted scope in the '70s during my time in the Canadian army...mind blowing to me at what I could see, even in moonless and very dark conditions courtesy of a shielded radioactive Cesium isotope exciting light photons on silver coated optics...newer and much better tech is available for back-up cameras on newer vehicles today...
    Danger Man 14.JPG
    Danger Man 15.JPG

We see a lot more of the amused Drake in this episode...he smirks in delight at seeing Bierce preen his hair into a Beatles mop-top for his much younger girlfriend...
    Danger Man 16.JPG
    Danger Man 18.JPG

Soon after Bierce leaves the next morning, Drake charms his way into the young lady's (Wanda Ventham's) apartment...masquerading as a door to door encyclopedia salesman (!)...she isn't buying any encyclopedias, but is very charmed by the handsome stranger...
    Danger Man 20.JPG
    Danger Man 22.JPG

Drake finds this hilarious photo of Bierce in her apartment...although the young lady only knows him as "Nigel Wallace"...
    Danger Man 21.JPG

She thinks that Drake is far too well dressed to be an encyclopedia salesman...he tells her: "I find it difficult to deny myself"...she smiles coyly and replies: "We have that in common"...ultimately, she jokingly tells Drake: "you're a monster", ha, ha...
    Danger Man 23.JPG

Continued next post...

6. Message #3666 of 3947 Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Danger Man The Mirror's New continued...

Having returned to the British embassy in Paris, Bierce (Donald Houston) is horrified to learn that 2 pages of his top secret documents have been reported as missing in Bonn...of course, he is unaware that Drake removed them in a deliberate attempt to induce panic in the button downed Bierce...forcing him to expose his secret life...another British hottie, Alison Seebohm, plays Bierce's embassy secretary...
    Danger Man 27.JPG
    Danger Man 28.JPG

Having trailed Bierce to his secret love nest in Montmartre, Drake waits for him to leave, whereupon he searches his pad for incriminating evidence...so far, Drake is unaware of Bierce's homicidal ways in keeping his many secrets...
    Danger Man 29.JPG

Two mystery men watch Drake enter Bierce's apartment...
    Danger Man 30.JPG

Drake finds much evidence of Bierce's philandering in his garishly decorated love nest with the kind of decor that Hugh Hefner would approve of...but no evidence of a killing, as yet...Drake is interrupted in his search by the arrival of yet another Bierce girlfriend, played by a wonderfully eccentric, playful and stunningly lovely Nicola Pagett...Drake at first convinces her that he is Bierce's friend allowed to stay at the apartment...
    Danger Man 32.JPG
    Danger Man 33.JPG

She playfully flirts with Drake as she again looks around her boyfriend Bierce's apartment...but then she casually remarks "oh, the mirror's new"...Drake is clearly intrigued by her, and delighted to say the least...the girl has her own mercenary agenda...but, hot damn!
    Danger Man 36.JPG
    Danger Man 37.JPG
    Danger Man 41.JPG
    Danger Man 44.JPG

She tells Drake: "you have the most wonderful eyes...they look right through me. There's something very cruel in them, something very beautiful"...insightful, isn't she? Drake can be very cruel in the service of her majesty's secret service, when need be...but merciful too...
    Danger Man 46.JPG
    Danger Man 47.JPG

Drake bids the mysterious young lovely adieu...she has inadvertently helped Drake to uncover the homicide that she herself is unaware of... once Bierce returns and discovers that Drake has him down cold with the evidence, it sets the stage for their showdown...
    Danger Man 51.JPG
    Danger Man 53.JPG

Once again, the soaring music of Ravel's Bolero is heard...with the anticipation of the swelling crescendo to muffle the sound of a gunshot...
    Danger Man 57.JPG
    Danger Man 56.JPG
    Danger Man 54.JPG
    Danger Man 58.JPG

The epic ITC cold war TV series at the height of it's powers...with too many great episodes to count...my word, the following episode is the equally great Colony Three !

7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Last week it was Westerns, this week is detective/mystery viewing.

The Rockford Files - Complete Series - Bluray
    Coulter City Wildcat (3.6) John Anderson, Dennis Burkley, Noble Willingham, Jerry Hardin. Rocky is forced to sign oil lease rights he owns away, leading Jim to investigate who and why someone wanted Rocky's seemingly worthless leases so badly. A fun, get-rich, episode.

So Help Me God (3.7) William Daniels, Sandy Ward, Stuart Margolin, Jason Wingreen. Jim is called as a witness for the Grand Jury, refuses to testify as he knows nothing and is then thrown in jail for contempt.

Rattler's Class of '63 (3.8) Avery Schreiber, James Luisi, James Wainwright. Angel is working a con involving the sale of a landfill, and unknown to him or Jim, it happens to be the location of a dead body from an unsolved case from twelve years before. The people who put it there don't want it found. I am finding that a little "Angel" goes a long way :D.

Return To The 38th Parallel (3.9) Ned Beatty, Veronica Hamel, Paul Stevens. Jim gets used by an old Army buddy in an insurance recovery case. Seems like a version of a prior episode involving Jim's former Parole officer/detective.

Piece Work (3.10) Simon Scott, Ben Frank, Frank Maxwell, Jack Bannon, James Luisi. While investigating an insurance claim Jim accidentally stumbles into a gun smuggling operation.

The Trouble With Warren (3.11) Ron Rifkin, James Luisi, Paul Jenkins, Joe Maross. Beth's nerdy cousin Warren drags Jim into his mounting troubles.

A very good set of episodes, even with Angel.

Cannon - Complete Series
    A Long Way Down (2.7) Sandy Kenyon, James A. Watson, Jr., Rosemary Murphy, Dana Elcar, Ned Romero, Andy Romano. A doctor at an inner-city hospital is suspected in a drug theft, and Cannon is hired by the hospital administrator to get to the truth. 70's version of a topical subject. Can someone ever excape their home?

The Rip Off (2.8) George Maharis, Stefanie Powers, Barney Phillips, Robert Mandan, Max Gail, Lee De Broux. A professional thief breaks into Frank's apartment and steals all of his furniture, including his file cabinet.

Child Of Fear (2.9) Clu Gulager, Julie Adams, H. M. Wynant, Warren Kemmerling. Cannon is hired by the wife of a missing ranch owner when his privately hired security service somehow hasn't been able to find him for six days.

The Shadow Man (2.10) Lois Nettleton, Bert Freed, Simon Scott, Jared Martin, Kevin Dobson. Cannon is hired by the wife of a hotel developer after he falls off a cliff and, while she goes for help, disappears. Cannon has a very antagonistic attitude towards his client.

Hear No Evil (2.11) William Daniels, Linden Chiles, Alex Rocco, Lynnette Mettey, Wesley Lau, Felice Orlandi. A paroled electronics expert is threatened by three businessmen, and his wife, an ex-cop, calls Cannon. I really enjoyed this one.

The Endangered Species (2.12) CArl Betz, Katherine Justice, Billy Green Bush, Andrew Duggan, Neva Patterson. Cannon's friend, a yacht builder, is framed for killing his son on a hunting trip. A very intriguing mystery and an overplayed performance by Carl Betz.

I found an old series that used to be a Saturday night staple in our home growing up. TubiTV.com has episodes of Danger Man available and I have reacquainted myself with John Drake.
    View From The Villa (1.1)
    Time To Kill (1.2)
    The Blue Veil (1.4)
    The Lovers (1.5)
    The Girl In Pink Pajamas (1.6)
    Position Of Trust (1.7) Donald Pleasance
    The Lonely Chair (1.8) Sam Wanamaker, Patrick Troughton
    The Sanctuary (1.9)
    An Affair Of State (1.10)

A pretty good week of viewing. It was nice to slow down and try to figure things out.

Montytc, Rustifer, Mysto and 3 others like this.
  8. Message #3668 of 3947 Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Boy, do I ever agree with you on this, Doug!

Wow, if watching 12 hour-long and 9 half hour episodes is slowing down, I must be doing something wrong. ;) A good week of viewing indeed!

9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    This guy did a pretty good job of that, too...

[​IMG]

10. Message #3670 of 3947 Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    Hazel
    "Love 'Em and Leave 'Em" (S4E18)

Let's start this episode with a fairly unbelievable scenario--ten-year old Harold (Bobby Buntrock) has just traded his genuine official NFL pigskin to a classmate in order to procure cute Zelda's (Vicki Cos) phone number so as to ask her to the school dance. Harold as a stud muffin is about as reassuring as a disgraced televangelist. But there it is anyway.

Hazel discovers that Harold's football is gone and like the nosy butinsky she is--smells a rat. She quickly learns of Harold's date with Zelda and is nearly prostrate with grief. Her little man--lost to the wiles of feminine pulchritude! Dad George (Don DeFore) is nearly bursting with relief that his pittypat son even knows what a girl is. There were enough indications to assume otherwise.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hazel occasionally needs some support after 6 martinis; Harold is known to date some real dogs; Hazel displays proper maid's couture

But wait! Over a deep discussion of flowers, Zelda decides on a whole new life path for Harold--ballet dancing! Why, nothing puffs up a man's Id like wearing lavender tights and silk slippers. Thank god Harold grows a pair and drops Zelda like a truckload of cement. He quickly returns to the natural boyhood pastimes of sports, while George chases va-voom wife Dorothy (Whitney Blake) around the kitchen island in his boxer shorts and sock garters. Hazel, after years of experimenting, eventually perfects rightside up pineapple cake. All is well in the Baxter world.

Notes:
    Vicki Cos (born in 1955) shows up in six or seven series as a guest between 1963 to 1970. After that, she disappears from the industry all together. She eventually gives birth to Dusty Gaynes, an actress with even less of a career than her mother.

upload_2020-3-2_10-20-39.

11. Message #3671 of 3947 Mar 2, 2020
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Interesting tidbit about Nicola Pagett from a 1997 newspaper article. Nicola suffered from an erotomanic obsession with the Prime Minister's press secretary, Alistair Campbell--whom she saw only on television. She wrote numerous letters to him, signed only as "Moi" and sent money as well.
    Batty? You bet.

upload_2020-3-2_10-44-12.

Nicola is still around, but no further information as to her strange obsession.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  12. Montytc

Montytc Second Unit

Tim Montavon
    That feels severely creepy.

Ron1973 likes this.
  13. Message #3673 of 3947 Mar 2, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Laredo - 1.12 "The Land Grabbers"
    More Audrey Dalton here in this episode (albeit playing a very different kind of character than in The Dakotas), a typically rambunctious entry in this raucous series, which finds the Rangers with their hands full, trying to keep order during a land rush. Ms. Dalton is the widowed daughter of a former British officer (Alan Napier) who Chad (Peter Brown) understandably takes a shine to. Nice to see Phillip Carey's Captain Parmalee take a more active role in proceedings, and Fred Clark does his usual exasperated, persnickety man in authority bit. Always enjoy Neville Brand, with his deep, raspy voice and disheveled demeanor. It's a kick to see him be such a lovable character after so many years playing bad guy parts.

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-09h19m31s106.

Mr. Novak - 1.30 "The Senior Prom"
    More focus on the day-to-day workings of high school in this season-ending episode. Flighty young student Gail Andrews (a nineteen-year-old Marta Kristen) is the chairman of the Senior Prom committee, and Novak is worried that she is not taking her role seriously. Much to Novak and everyone else's surprise, Gail rises to the challenge and emerges as an effective and mature leader, though not without sacrificing some popularity and ending up dateless to the prom she organized. A good episode, with opportunities for most of the regular main cast to shine. Novak even gets a few slow dances with the delectable Ms. Scott.

The Saint - 5.14 "Escape Route"
    A top-notch episode here, as Simon Templar seemingly returns to his infamous thieving ways, is caught in the act by his longtime nemesis, Inspector Teal, and gets sent to prison. Of course, it's all part of a ruse to find out who is helping high-profile prisoners escape. Simon becomes pals with a genial bank robber (Donald Sutherland) with an inside track to the mysterious group who breaks criminals out for a fat fee, headed by the smooth but ruthless Col. Roberts (John Gregson) and his cronies (Jean Marsh and Jeremy Burnham). The Saint is assisted by the daughter of one of the gang's murdered clients (a young and very pretty Wanda Ventham). A suspenseful and highly enjoyable story.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h26m39s121.
    vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h24m38s254.
    vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h22m07s234.

Longstreet - 1.2 "A World of Perfect Complicity"
    Stirling Silliphant (with his penchant for pretentious titles) wrote this episode, in which Longstreet and his assistant, Nikki (Marlyn Mason), go undercover as husband and wife to solve a string of robberies and murders in a swanky apartment complex. As soon as you see Geoffrey Lewis show up, you just know he's up to no good. Veteran actress Ann Doran has a small role as a sweet older resident whose husband was killed in a botched robbery attempt. Climaxes with a neat scene where Longstreet shows one of the baddies just what a good shot he is, despite being blind. The emphasis on Longstreet's target practice here makes me wonder if this episode was filmed before the previously-aired entry, "The Way of the Intercepting Fist," which focused on his self-defense training with Li Tsung (Bruce Lee).

The Zoo Gang - 1.4 "The Lion Hunt"
    When a South American rebel leader is arrested at the Nice airport, it's up to the middle-aged masterminds of the Zoo Gang (Brian Keith, John Mills, Barry Morse and Lilli Palmer) to not only free him, but catch the corrupt officials who plan to double cross him for a million francs profit. The appearance of ITC stalwarts Roger Delgado, Ferdy Mayne and Leo Genn, plus lots of beautifully filmed Cote d'Azur locations, make for a diverting hour of escapist hokum. I've become a big fan of this short-lived but delightful series, and only have one more episode left to watch off the Blu-Ray set...will be saving it for a rainy day.

Danger Man - 2.9 "No Marks for Servility"
    Randall's wonderful write-up on "The Mirror's New" enticed me into viewing the one hour-long Danger Man episode I own in HD, on Network's Retro-Action sampler...and boy, was it a goodie! Drake goes undercover as a butler in Rome, to nab a nasty financier (Howard Marion-Crawford) who has been engaging in extortion, kidnapping and murder. The man in question is an utter creep who abuses his lovely, kind young wife (Suzan Farmer) and takes an instant dislike to Drake, who must use all of his iron-willed self-control to play his part and not strangle the scumbag where he stands. Patrick McGoohan is on absolutely splendid form, simmering with barely concealed contempt and rage. Also with Mervyn Johns and a (so young she's unrecognizable) Francesca Annis, who some may remember as Tuppence Beresford in the Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime series from the '80s.

[​IMG]
    Suzan Farmer

The Persuaders - 1.5 "Powerswitch"
    I was watching a lengthy interview with Annette Andre on YouTube and her recollections of working with Tony Curtis and Roger Moore led me to give this episode a spin. Brett and Danny are engaging in a spot of competitive waterskiing on the French Riviera when they discover a beautiful young woman floating dead in the water. The local police inspector feigns disinterest (at the urging of Judge Fulton), so an annoyed Brett and Danny, with the aid of the drowned girl's dancer roommate (Andre), decide to get involved and find out if the girl was murdered, and why. Gorgeous locations, girls, action, intrigue, and plenty of clowning around by the two leads make for a highly enjoyable romp.

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-09h34m40s230.

vlcsnap-2020-03-03-09h25m47s19.
    vlcsnap-2020-03-03-09h27m17s157.

14. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Can't argue with you there, Russ. Imagine what a trio of baddies he, John Russell and Chuck Connors would make if they all starred together in a western...wouldn't want to be in the boots of whoever had to go up against them!

Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  15. Message #3675 of 3947 Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    227: “The Roommate” (2/6/1988): Sandra’s rent is due tomorrow, so she agrees to take in Mary and Lester’s shy niece Donna (Kim Fields) from Ohio, who is enrolling at Howard University in the fall. But when Donna comes out of her shell after receiving a few fashion tips, Sandra finds she has more than just a roommate, but competition for the affections of men. But Mary is concerned that the "new, improved" Donna may have taken things a bit too far.

227: "Far From The Tree" (2/7/1987): Sandra's mother (Della Reese), the widow of a minister, pays a visit. Even though they have never gotten along, Sandra begrudgingly tries to tone herself down to accommodate her.

The Carol Burnett Show sketch: The Family plays Sorry!: Ed, Eunice, and Mama have a game night after dinner.

ALSO NOT ON DVD: Amen: "Man on a Ledge" (1/16/1988): Thelma's friend Jackie tells her she needs to be more open with Rev. Gregory about her feelings for him. So while he's away in Boston, she calls him up to leave a message and tell him she loves him. This means Deacon Frye is in charge of the church until he gets back. The Hetebrink sisters want a raise of $10 each, but he insists they can only afford $10 between the two of them. Meanwhile, Rolly's wife Leola (Rosetta LeNoire, Gimme A Break!, Family Matters) thinks Rolly should get the raise. After the meeting adjourns, Thelma goes to the church to ask Deacon Frye to break into Rev. Gregory's apartment to get the tape back. Luckily, the Rev. already gave him a spare key for emergencies. Apparently, this counts as one. And things get even more complicated when the Rev. returns home. This is a good example of how technology influences storytelling and what an unusual place 1980s technology holds in our cultural history: it is more advanced than what came before it, but even greater advances have been made since then leaving it in the dust. The subsequent prevalence of the Internet and cell phones with internalized voicemail would make this episode play out very differently if this were a present-day series. Episode co-writer Arthur Julian's other series include the aforementioned Gimme A Break!, and they did a similar episode, but with another writer.

LA Law: "The Unsterile Cuckoo" (11/2/1989): Season 4 begins with Benny coming to Arnie for advice about his relationship with Alice when she is hospitalized for what Benny calls "an operation so she can't have a baby," which Arnie wrongly assumes is an abortion. Eventually, her father comes to the office to reveal the truth: he wants her sterilized involuntarily. Douglas is looking for a woman to fill a space on the firm's baseball team, but Ann can't do it because it is scheduled the same time as her Lamaze class, and Roxanne's diet makes him doubt she can do it; she ends up on the team anyway along with Abby. Meanwhile, Douglas and Leland have a $5,000 side bet on the outcome of the game with Sam (George Murdock), the senior partner of the rival firm, Sheer Taft, whose team they will face. A debate rages over the ethics of the firm's handling of a furrier (John Lehne) in their suit against animal rights activists whose attacks on customers have cost them over a million dollars in sales. Victor handles the case and wants out when he sees what the process actually entails. Kuzak gets a motorcycle, but as far as Grace is concerned, he will be no easy rider in court any more than when they were together.

With this episode, David E. Kelley assumes the role of executive producer while Steven Bochco remains an executive consultant.

From the "Sound and Furry" Department: Julie Payne (Mrs. Ellen Barrett, who testifies for the defense in the fur case) was the voice of Lanolin Sheep on Garfield and Friends. When Cartoon Network later launched The Garfield Show without the US Acres characters, she came back to voice Liz Wilson. On this show, her character's objections to fur extend to wool. LA Law's sound editor, Sam Horta, also performed the same duty for Garfield and Friends in addition to doing the same for numerous animated shorts and TV shows in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s while his live-action work also includes Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere.

LA Law: "Captain Hurt" (11/9/1989): Corrine Hammond (Jennifer Hetrick), Arnie's latest divorce client, wants to avoid a battle for the sake of their daughter Chloe (Ashleigh Sterling, Getting By), but that backfires when her soon-to-be-ex-husband (John Morrissey) ends up in jail. Douglas tries to replace the donuts in the office with fruit. Stuart delivers an unpromising financial report for the firm: income is down, malpractice insurance is up, and they owe a large balloon payment to renovate the office. Kuzak handles the case of a black professor named Earl Williams (Carl Lumbly, Alias) accused of murdering a young white female student. As the prosecuting attorney, Margaret Flanagan (Veronica Cartwright, Flight of the Navigator), screens jurors, he says it's a case of mistaken identity created in haste by popular demand. But there's a twist to this case that threatens his relationship with his wife (Vonetta McGee) independently of his innocence or guilt of murder. Victor teaches Benny about safe sex, but when the subject of condoms comes up, he feels embarrassed. He tries to help him get over the shame by taking him shopping for one. Grace's latest case involves a dominatrix (Lisa Wolpe) and an obsessed client (Randy Oglesby, Star Trek: Enterprise) committing crimes of passion.

From the "All in the Family" Department: Veronica Cartwright's sister Angela was on another popular 20th Century Fox TV series, the original Lost in Space.

NOTE: Ashleigh Sterling has the exact same date of birth as myself; as of this writing, we are both the age Arnie was when the show began.

LA Law: "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" (11/16/1989): Leland teaches a college course Diana is taking. At the morning meeting, Douglas announces he has fired Dorothy while she is at home recovering from the Epstein-Barr virus. Despite Kuzak's reservations, Mrs. WIlliams takes the stand to defend her husband, testifying that he was with her during the time of the murder since that's when they were watching NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. An elderly woman Mrs. Weedon (Mary Jackson) wants Jonathan to take her injury case against a supermarket who admitted fault when she slipped on spilled juice, fell, and sprained her wrist, especially when the insurance company won't return her calls. However, the potential settlement is less than the cost of overhead would be, and the store's proposed settlement is a pittance compared to how much damage she suffered. Meanwhile, Douglas has an idea about how to get the store to reach an agreeable deal. Arnie apologizes to Corrine for what happened with her divorce, so he offers Chloe a copy of a book that he loved as a child, One Morning in Maine, by Robert McCloskey, and to take both of them to a carnival.

From the "If At First You Don't Succeed" Department: Mary Jackson went on to co-star in the original attempt to make a TV series out of the 1989 movie Parenthood, an NBC sitcom starring Ed Begley, Jr. that ran from 1990 to 1991.

LA Law: "The Mouse That Soared" (11/23/1989): Hamilton Schulyer (David Rappaport) is back in a lawsuit filed by a restaurant over a group holding dwarf-tossing competitions there … except he's representing the dwarf-tossers while objecting to the idea that small people only exist to be felt sorry for. Victor represents the plaintiff and resents the defense using his size to make the focus of the case on himself. As Kuzak tries to challenge the results of the Earl Williams case. he gets information from a witness (Daniel Hutchison) who might be able to turn things around in the defense's favor, but he is an accused drug dealer who wants legal representation in return. Stuart gets a trial, so Arnie lets Roxanne take advantage of her services. Ann talks to a friend whose 17-year-old daughter Amy got an abortion and had to go through picketers to get to it. Since she still has emotional anguish and mental trauma because of it, she wants to sue them. Ann agrees to take the case, but Douglas is worried that the firm might lose other clients because of it. Leland, whom we see in a plaid shirt for the first time, tries to set his mind at ease.

From the "It's About Time" Department: By now, episodes run 47 minutes rather than 48 minutes. This is not post-hoc alteration, but a result of relaxed standards on commercial time in prime time network TV. It's gotten much worse since then; a present-day network drama is 42 minutes! Cable and streaming have more leeway to determine episode lengths independently of advertisers' demands.

Self-Fulfilling Prophesy Alert: Hamilton Schuyler asks the owner of the restaurant "are you going to go after Ringling Bros. next?" They filed for bankruptcy in 2017.

[​IMG]

LA Law: "One Rat, One Ranger" (11/30/1989): When Douglas orders a large crate of fruit, there a single live rat in it, so they must hire an exterminator. Grace prosecutes Ed Haley (Sherman Howard), a man accused by his ex-wife Charlotte (Kathy Bates, soon to become an Oscar-winner because of Misery) of molesting his daughter Lisa (Veronica Lauren) during their visitation. When Grace suggests the girl take the stand, her mother objects, but she does anyway. The man had already failed a polygraph test, but his lawyer (Robert Harper, Frank's Place) argues that such evidence is inadmissible. The descriptions of what he is accused of doing were fairly graphic for network TV in 1989. Stuart defends a matchmaking company called Togetherness Dating Service being sued by a client (Gina Hecht, Mork & Mindy) over lots and lots of bad matches. The firm's lawyers are shocked when they all receive salary cuts due to a shrinking client base, which means shrinking revenues. When they reject the idea of a merger, Douglas and Leland bring in a rainmaker named Rosalind Shays (Diana Muldaur, McCloud) as a new partner.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    I don't have much to comment on re: Hazel, Russ, as I haven't seen the show...but I just wanted to let you know that I always enjoy your humorous reviews, both here and in the 77 Sunset Strip thread.

Flashgear likes this.
  17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks, Jeff! I enjoy writing them.
    And hey...congrats on passing 5,000 "likes". Lots of people--including me-- enjoy reading your posts.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  18. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Oh hey...didn't even notice that I'd passed that particular milestone. Cheers, Russ!

BobO'Link, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  19. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You need to get some Hazel in your life, Jeff. FWIW, with the first 4 seasons, one is pretty much like any other. In S5 the show moved to CBS and both Whitney Blake and Don DeFore were dropped in an effort to appeal to a younger audience. Their departure was explained as they went to Baghdad for George's work. Harold did not go with his parents so he wouldn't miss any school. He and Hazel moved in with George's younger brother, his wife (Lynn Borden - a fair substitute for Blake), and daughter. The big draw for S5 would be the addition of a young Ann Jillian as George's brother's receptionist. But she's only in 12 episodes.

Lynn Borden:
    [​IMG]

Ann Jillian on Hazel:
    upload_2020-3-3_11-2-29.

Jeff Flugel and Rustifer like this.