What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Not sure if they were in the same caliber, but I'd like to see other short-run NBC mystery movie series like Cool Million, Tenafly, Madigan, McCoy and most especially Hec Ramsey, get released.

Would you believe I just got in the French release of Madigan today from Elephant Films? I'd read about it and Mrs. Columbo (which I also received today from Elephant via Amazon France) on another current thread here on the HTF. Looks like there's some PAL speed-up. Each of the first two Madigan episodes I checked is 69 minutes-plus, about 4-5 minutes shorter than the original U.S. broadcast. Scenes that play over the opening credits are rough, but it clears up some--still roughly the quality of Cannon's U.S. release, I'd say. Ending Universal fanfare seems several pitches higher than normal.

Mrs. Columbo's pilot runs 90-91 minutes, but the first regular episode is only 44. Probably was 48-49 originally in the U.S. Seems odd in the pilot to see Kate Mulgrew drive up in Columbo's Peugeot. "Dog" is featured in the opening credits of the first regular episode. Mrs. Columbo's episodes look a lot cleaner than Madigan's. The pilot begins with the Universal logo that was used at the beginning of telefilms. First episode has the slow version of the five-note Universal fanfare at the end.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Would you believe I just got in the French release of Madigan today from Elephant Films? I'd read about it and Mrs. Columbo (which I also received today from Elephant via Amazon France) on another current thread here on the HTF. Looks like there's some PAL speed-up. Each of the first two Madigan episodes I checked is 69 minutes-plus, about 4-5 minutes shorter than the original U.S. broadcast. Scenes that play over the opening credits are rough, but it clears up some--still roughly the quality of Cannon's U.S. release, I'd say. Ending Universal fanfare seems several pitches higher than normal.

Mrs. Columbo's pilot runs 90-91 minutes, but the first regular episode is only 44. Probably was 48-49 originally in the U.S. Seems odd in the pilot to see Kate Mulgrew drive up in Columbo's Peugeot. "Dog" is featured in the opening credits of the first regular episode. Mrs. Columbo's episodes look a lot cleaner than Madigan's. The pilot begins with the Universal logo that was used at the beginning of telefilms. First episode has the slow version of the five-note Universal fanfare at the end.
Good info on those R2 France releases of Madigan and Mrs. Columbo, thank you for that Dan! I'm a little distressed to hear that Madigan's film/tape sources are of the R1 Cannon variety. Along with the PAL speed-up, which is approximately equivalent to 4% on the run times. Madigan is the one I would be most interested in...Richard Widmark, after all, and it was one of the more expensively mounted mystery movie segments, with a fair bit of NYC filming, and with one episode filmed in London England and environs. I really look forward to getting KL's new Blu of the Don Siegel directed 1968 feature film soon. So, at least the originating feature film will look great, I already have it on DVD. Widmark's Madigan character was a work-a-day cop who lived for his job, maintaining a depressing hovel of a one bedroom apartment and next to no social life. James McEachin's Tenafly was another working man's sleuth, but a well adjusted family man with loving support, and an important milestone for Black actors. Cool Million with James Farantino was another jet setting sleuth for hire in the mold of Banacek, but not nearly as good. Richard Boone's Hec Ramsey was a lot of fun, with it's depiction of a 19th century old west forensic detective on the cusp of the 20th, with Boone reveling in much self deprecating humor about his advancing age and infirmities, but still having a deadly fast gun...a lot more mirth was found in his old deputy/young sheriff relationship with co-star Richard Lenz, and some support from Harry Morgan...I watched all of these Wednesday and Sunday Mystery Movies first run during my High School years.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, agree with Dan McW, fantastic posts above, Randall! I watched this particular Banacek episode several years back and remember enjoying it very much. George Peppard's Banacek is one smug bastard, with a perpetual smirk on his face, but he can walk the walk. It's great to get a guest star of the caliber of Sterling Hayden to appear in the series, and Victoria Principal (in one of her earliest roles) is supreme eye candy.

Big fan of classic murder mysteries myself, Dan. Agreed on Banacek, a show I also first discovered later in life but have enjoyed fully. Some really clever "locked room" type mysteries in this show, and I love the wrap-ups at the end of each episode, in which Banacek tells us how the impossible crime was committed. I'm glad to have both seasons on those TV Guide DVD sets that Randall referenced above.
Glad to hear you have Banacek complete on DVD, Jeff! Along with Hec Ramsey, Columbo and McCloud, Banacek were my favorites among the early '70s Mystery Movie segments. I liked McMillan & Wife on occasion. As a horny and fevered teenager, I also appreciated this alternate opening title Banacek sequence present in some episodes...the leggy stunner in a mini-skirt on George Peppard's arm as he exits his limo with Ralph Manza oggling her unashamedly...
Banacek 43.JPG

Banacek 44.JPG

Banacek 45.JPG

Banacek 46.JPG

Banacek 51.JPG

And then, this sequence cuts immediately to Banacek with yet another stunner on his arm! Damn you Banacek, you're the alpha male the rest of us despise but want to be...
Banacek 53.JPG

Banacek 54.JPG

Banacek 56.JPG

Banacek 55.JPG

Banacek 57.JPG

A few years back, The Simpsons did a delightful homage to Banacek, which must have flown right over a lot of the audience's heads, but that we baby boomers nonetheless savored...

The Persuaders - 1.24 "Someone's Waiting"
The final episode of this fun, frothy globe-trotting confection finds playboy millionaire crime fighters Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) and Danny Wilde (Tony Curtis) investigating an attempt to fix the outcome of an upcoming car race, and - more importantly - an imminent threat on Brett's life, somehow tied to his racing past. Lots of nice, rainy London exteriors, plus a brief appearance by Miss Moneypenny herself, Lois Maxwell...but as always, what makes this show special is not its standard adventure show plots, but the magical chemistry between Moore and Curtis, who constantly banter and bicker like a well-oiled comedy duo of old. And needless to say, this lush series, the most expensive produced up to that time by ITC (apparently 100,000 British pounds per episode in 1971 money), positively sparkles on Blu-Ray. John Barry's main theme is one for the ages:
Amazing coincidence, I've been watching The Persuaders recently as well. The episode The Long Goodbye, In concert with an earlier Danger Man episode, The Mirror's New, that features the same young lovely (Nicola Pagett) in common. I should do a post about that as well...My own British TV collection pales in comparison to your own, Jeff. You inspire many of us here in searching out many bygone and great British shows!

My Three Sons
1.10 "Lonesome George"
1.11 "Spring Will Be a Little Late"
A couple of strong episodes of this long-running '60s sitcom. To escape the clamoring hordes of fans at his hotel, comedian George Gobel is convinced by Bub to stay over at the Douglas house. This culminates in a very funny extended sequence where Gobel and Fred MacMurray wander around the house at night, unaware of each other's presence. "Spring..." is more typical family sitcom fare, but still nicely done, as middle son Robbie (Don Grady, who comes off as an actual believable teen) struggles with confused feelings for his long-time mechanic pal, who has suddenly blossomed from grease monkey to fragrant, feminine beauty (Marta Kristen), and who is, understandably, unwilling to put up with the nickname "Pig" any longer. Kristen would go on to appear two more times later in the series' run, but as different characters.
Thanks to your wonderful reviews, I must revisit these two episodes immediately!

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
As a horny and fevered teenager, I also appreciated this alternate opening title Banacek sequence present in some episodes...the leggy stunner in a mini-skirt on George Peppard's arm as he exits his limo with Ralph Manza oggling her unashamedly...
View attachment 68969
And then, this sequence cuts immediately to Banacek with yet another stunner on his arm! Damn you Banacek, you're the alpha male the rest of us despise but want to be...
View attachment 68972

Yep, love that alternate title sequence of Banacek parading various leggy lovelies back and forth from his palatial bachelor pad.

A few years back, The Simpsons did a delightful homage to Banacek, which must have flown right over a lot of the audience's heads, but that we baby boomers nonetheless savored...
The Simpsons did a Banacek parody? Brilliant! I'll be tracking that down. Apparently comedian Bill Hader plays "Manacek" in the episode "Homer Is Where the Art Isn't," from season 29. IMDB lists this great quote from said episode: Manacek: "Sorry, I can only solve impossible crimes if I'm seducing an amazing woman. It's my process."
Thanks to your wonderful reviews, I must revisit these two episodes immediately!

Appreciate the kind words, Randall! I do hope you grace us with some of your pictorially splendid write-ups on The Persuaders, Danger Man and/or those My Three Sons episodes!

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Amazing coincidence, I've been watching The Persuaders recently as well. The episode The Long Goodbye, In concert with an earlier Danger Man episode, The Mirror's New, that features the same young lovely (Nicola Pagett) in common. I should do a post about that as well...Thanks to your wonderful reviews, I must revisit these two episodes immediately!

Not only Nicola Pagett...that Persuaders episode ("The Long Goodbye") also features Anouska Hempel, Madeline Smith and Valerie Leon!! Yowsa, what a line-up of Brit beauties that is!

Not sure if I've seen this particular episode...will be checking it out forthwith. ;)

tumblr_oz3hg6R3kZ1r4zckoo1_500.jpg

tve10218-19711210-264.jpg

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
LA Law: "Barstow Bound" (3/23/1989): A man (John Bedford Lloyd) confronts Arnie because his wife (Nancy Paul) wants to get a divorce after seeing his video, which has made him something of a celebrity with the opposite sex. Eventually, the man takes matters into his own hands. Arthur Simon (Harry Goz), a colleague of Leland's, asks him to fill a federal judgeship, which will force him to give up his share in the firm if he accepts it; this would make Douglas the senior partner, a prospect the other partners dread. Victor tries to prove that a contractor's (J.J. Johnston) cutting corners caused a concrete floor to collapse and kill a man. While cross-examining the building inspector (Jim Antonio) to try and blame him for the collapse, he claims it happened because they were trying to save money and meet a completion deadline. The witness also implicates congressman Andrew Barnett (Gary Sandy, WKRP in Cincinnati), who happens to be running for Senator, for trying to make sure nobody "makes waves." When he gets wind of it, Arthur tells Leland to tell Victor to go easy on him, but he still takes the stand anyway and likens his line of questioning to a witchhunt.

R1 vs. R2: R1; although both are in mono, only the R1 has the original logo. One thing both have in common, which is inherent to the source material, is that the opening credits invariably have more film grain and video noise than the rest of the episode.

LA Law: "Leave it to Geezer" (3/30/1989): Leland wants to break up with Jennifer because he can't overlook their 35-year age difference. Arnie represents a TV actress named Melanie Hayes (Gwynyth Walsh), suing the producers of her show, Masters of Montecito, for not letting her out to do a movie. Kuzak is upset when Victor gets to handle a multi-million dollar personal injury case instead of him because he is the chief legislator and has prosecuted more trials. Still, Leland insists they have a better chance of winning with Victor. Grace pursues the case of elderly bank robbers (Lou Jacobi, Charles Lane, Harry Caesar, Peter Turgeon) whose defense attorney (Lew Ayres) is of a similarly advanced age; when a video proves his clients' guilt, she questions his competence after he rejects a plea bargain and insists on them taking the stand. Jonathan asks Kuzak for coaching on his first murder trial involving a woman named Wanda Havens (L. Scott Caldwell, Lost) accused of shooting her abusive husband. Eventually, her son Jimmy (T.J. Evans) takes the stand.

R1 vs. R2: R1 since it has stereo sound

LA Law: "The Unbearable Lightness of Boring" (4/6/1989): When Douglas fires a paralegal named Yolanda (Lucy Webb, Charlie Hoover), she makes a stink about it to her former co-workers, and some of the other partners think he went too far. Stuart offers to become the new office manager, but things don't go as planned. Dave tries to put his marriage to Roxanne back together, so he takes her to a direct mail merchandisers' convention where the host (Charlie Callas, Pete's Dragon) introduces him as the Man of the Year; meanwhile, the other merchandisers' wives tell Roxanne how they keep their marriages together. Abby's latest client, Frank Weiland (Kiel Martin, Hill Street Blues), wants her to use her friendship with Grace to help get a good deal on bail for a friend whom he admits is guilty of cocaine possession, and he has more cases for her as well. Jonathan interviews summer interns and the front runner is a woman named Diana Moses (Renée Jones, Days of Our Lives) to whom he takes a liking. Tammy (Dana Andersen, The Karate Kid), the birth mother of Stuart and Ann's baby, wants her back, but their lawyer (Gerald Anthony) offers to arrange a meeting.

Music: "That's Life" as Dave takes the podium

LA Law: "His Suit is Hirsute" (4/27/1989): As Melanie Hayes sits in, Kuzak handles the case of a home heating explosion where the defense attorney (Joseph Maloney, The Tracey Ullman Show) tries to make his case with music. The feds arrest Frank in Abby's office. Victor represents Stuart and Ann in their custody case against Tammy. With work taking the romance out of their relationship, Grace and Kuzak reach an impasse. Jonathan takes Diana to dinner after he learns she and her husband are divorcing.

LA Law: "America the Beautiful" (5/4/1989): Ann intends to appeal the ruling, but Stuart wants to let it go. Grace prosecutes the case of a murdered homeless man. Another homeless man (Robert V. Barron) questions her sincerity at the slain man's funeral, but the trial proves otherwise. Arnie wants to represent Roxanne in her divorce from Dave, but he claims a conflict of interest that makes that impossible. When she gets second thoughts, Arnie reminds her she's still entitled to money from him. Abby asks Kuzak for advice when guilt by association with a criminal client threatens her career. With Benny working as his assistant to take notes, Douglas tries to land a multimillion-dollar client. The client, Leo Hackett (Wayne Tippit), believes him to be an associate until Douglas tells him the truth. After this, he sets Benny up with his mentally disabled daughter Alice (Amanda Plummer). Leland wants Abby to come back when he can't find another associate to replace her after three months of interviews.

R1 vs. R2: Draw

LA Law: "Urine Trouble Now" (5/11/1989): Benny brings Alice to visit the office. Kuzak represents a singing group (Turner Wilson, Jr., Al Frazier, John Harris, Andrew Butler) trying to win back the rights to their name from another identically named group (Theodore Miller, Ricky Wyrick, Xavier Thomas) who bought the exclusive rights to use their name. However, the newer group changed their songs around to sound more modern and thus get more bookings. The judge (George Coe) can only settle it by insisting both groups perform in court without electronic smoke and mirrors. Victor handles the case of the Quintana beer company, which a rival company called Gatling has accused of watering down its products with urine. He believes that there is ethnic bias in the accusation because the beer is from Mexico. Still, the defense lawyer (Tony Plana) had a history with Victor when they both lived in East LA — which does nothing to stop two of Victor's witnesses from calling him a sellout — and the rival company tried to get Chicano customers to boycott. Dave's lawyer, Sheldon Ganz (Bruce Fairbairn) badgers Roxanne by saying she's a golddigger. Diana's ex-husband Darryl (Lenny Hicks) threatens Jonathan, then Diana tries to smooth things out. Abby negotiates her terms for rejoining McKenzie-Brackman-Chaney-Kuzak as an associate.

LA Law: "Consumed Innocent" (5/18/1989): The season 3 finale sees Benny kissing Amanda and arousing her father's concern, Abby rejoining the firm and helping Ann on her case, Victor suffering from the flu, Allison asking him to mediate a dispute over a fatal mishap on a music video shoot, Roxanne finalizing her divorce and collecting a sizeable settlement as she considers her future, Jonathan and Diana trying to keep things professional, Grace prosecuting a controversial talk show host (J.T. Walsh, Good Morning Vietnam) accused of inciting a guest's murder on his TV show, and Ann receiving a pleasant surprise over the phone.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
LA Law: "Leave it to Geezer" (3/30/1989)
LA Law: "The Unbearable Lightness of Boring" (4/6/1989)
LA Law: "Urine Trouble Now" (5/11/1989)
LA Law: "Consumed Innocent" (5/18/1989)

Not to diminish your hard work going through these sets and comparing the differences between regions, Matthew (very useful stuff)...but I sure do get a chuckle out of those punning episode titles!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Not only Nicola Pagett...that Persuaders episode ("The Long Goodbye) also features Anouska Hempel, Madeline Smith and Valerie Leon!! Yowsa, what a line-up of Brit beauties that is!

Not sure if I've seen this particular episode...will be checking it out forthwith. ;)

tumblr_oz3hg6R3kZ1r4zckoo1_500.jpg

tve10218-19711210-264.jpg

“Your royal highness, look at these two gentle creatures.”
“My dear Danny, be quiet, my dear old chap.”

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Champions - 1.25 "Desert Journey"
This ITC series seems to be very popular with many fans, but it's never been one of my favorites. I am slowly coming around to liking the show; it has a great premise and a likeable enough cast, but it does come across as a more cheaply made, juvenile version of the usual slick and stylish ITC "action man" type of series. Yank Stuart Damon and Brits Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt star as three government agents with superpowers (gained after being rescued from a plane crash by a mysterious society living hidden away in the Himalayas) who tackle various cases of espionage, terrorism and the like. Their superpowers are not always clearly defined or consistent, but include telepathy, super strength and hearing, the ability to hold their breath underwater for unusually long periods of time, etc. The show was clearly ahead of its time and, while not taking full advantage of its premise, nonetheless features some fun super-heroic moments scattered amidst the more mundane spy plot elements.

I chose this episode for its impressive pair of guest stars: Jeremy Brett and Roger Delgado. Brett (looking impossibly young here) is the Bey, the spoiled descendant of the ousted royal family of a Middle Eastern kingdom on the brink of civil war. The Champions are tasked with returning the reluctant Bey to his country, but the journey is fraught with peril, as an opposing faction is determined to not let the Bey enter the country alive. While nearly all of the '60s ITC series had their fair share of studio sets subbing for exotic locations, this one is even more set-bound than usual, with lots of faky desert backdrops. Still, leads Stuart Damon and Alexandra Bastedo take center stage and are stunning physical specimens; their good looks and charm overcome the thin characterizations and keep this potboiler bubbling along nicely. The Champions is the rare ITC series with a rather pedestrian main title sequence, but the episode underscore itself (done by a different composer, the great Edwin Astley) is good stuff. Given its high profile in the ITC canon, I expect this to be a shoe-in for a nice, shiny Blu-Ray upgrade eventually, courtesy of Network.

tumblr_or2n40UvYo1tjbxuwo1_1280.jpg

alexandrabastedo.jpg

champions01.jpg

Bonanza - 2.25 "The Duke"
Enjoyed the hell out of this episode, which features an effective performance by Maxwell Reed as an arrogant jerk of a British boxer, the "Duke" of the title, who arrives in Virginia City with his hard-drinking manager (J. Pat O'Malley) and puts everyone's backs up with his nasty ways. When the Duke goes too far, beating up and bullying Ponderosa hand, J.D. (Jason Evers), saloon gal, Marge (Randy Stuart), and even his loyal manager, it's time for man mountain Hoss Cartwright to step into the ring and smack some humility into the creep. The final boxing match is a rousing crowd-pleaser, but even in victory, Hoss maintains his humble and kind heart. The towering, 6' 3 1/2" Reed displays a lot of charisma and solid acting chops; apparently he headlined his own series in the late '50s back in the UK, called Captain David Grief. I'd like to see it.

The Dakotas - 1.20 "A Nice Girl from Goliath"
Can't add much to Randall's terrific photo essay of this episode from the previous page - it's a real humdinger. Curvaceous brunette beauty Audrey Dalton (and her long, luscious neck) prove too much for callow deputy Del (Chad Everett) to handle, and he can't help but be the next sap to fall for the no-good wench. Luckily, seen-it-all reformed gunslinger J.D. (Jack Elam - for me, the star of the show) soon arrives on the scene and reads her like an open book. This series is easily the cream of the WB western crop, at least production quality-wise (Maverick, with its glorious scripting and James Garner persona, edges it out overall); the look of the ramshackle and dingy mining town of Goliath is extremely realistic, and the climactic gunfight is well-staged and exciting. There's a high-gloss sheen to this series which makes it stand out from its WB brethren, and on top of that, it's a very cynical, well-acted series...a real pity that it didn't get a second season.

The Persuaders - 1.24 "Someone's Waiting"
The final episode of this fun, frothy globe-trotting confection finds playboy millionaire crime fighters Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) and Danny Wilde (Tony Curtis) investigating an attempt to fix the outcome of an upcoming car race, and - more importantly - an imminent threat on Brett's life, somehow tied to his racing past. Lots of nice, rainy London exteriors, plus a brief appearance by Miss Moneypenny herself, Lois Maxwell...but as always, what makes this show special is not its standard adventure show plots, but the magical chemistry between Moore and Curtis, who constantly banter and bicker like a well-oiled comedy duo of old. And needless to say, this lush series, the most expensive produced up to that time by ITC (apparently 100,000 British pounds per episode in 1971 money), positively sparkles on Blu-Ray. John Barry's main theme is one for the ages:

My Three Sons
1.10 "Lonesome George"
1.11 "Spring Will Be a Little Late"
A couple of strong episodes of this long-running '60s sitcom. To escape the clamoring hordes of fans at his hotel, comedian George Gobel is convinced by Bub to stay over at the Douglas house. This culminates in a very funny extended sequence where Gobel and Fred MacMurray wander around the house at night, unaware of each other's presence. "Spring..." is more typical family sitcom fare, but still nicely done, as middle son Robbie (Don Grady, who comes off as an actual believable teen) struggles with confused feelings for his long-time mechanic pal, who has suddenly blossomed from grease monkey to fragrant, feminine beauty (Marta Kristen), and who is, understandably, unwilling to put up with the nickname "Pig" any longer. Kristen would go on to appear two more times later in the series' run, but as different characters.

958ef2f6fc8839215318c21474aaffff.jpg

Thunderbirds
- 1.23 "Attack of the Alligators"
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons - 1.31 "Attack on Cloudbase"
Rounded out several days' viewing with a pair of Gerry Anderson ITC Supermarionation classics. Not having grown up with these beloved puppet shows, I don't have the strong sense of nostalgia that many fans hold for them...so watching them is more of an academic exercise for me. I can guarantee, though, that had I watched these as a 8-to-12 year-old kid, I would have gobbled them up like M & Ms. Now I enjoy them for their frankly astonishing craftsmanship and detailed sets, props, vehicles and special effects, all lovingly made by hand, with obvious painstaking care and extraordinary skill. Barry Gray's pulse-pounded musical scores really add to the cumulative effect.

I had no idea The Persuaders had a BR release so, of course, I had to go to Amazon UK to check it out. It appears to be Region B, bummer. I'm still Region A only for BR (yeah... I know... some day...)

I read some of the Amazon UK "reviews" on the BR set and this 2 star one stuck out (bolding mine):
Great TV show I absolutely love it - very disappointed that the format is square. And you’re unable to change it. I have the set in DVD format and that fits modern televisions. The colours however are impeccable. It looks like it was filmed yesterday. Real shame they constrained it to square.
So this, rather clueless, person dings a very good series simply because the BR locks them into OAR, like it should, and they can't stretch it to fit their modern telly (I'm assuming they're stretching rather than zooming based on how it's said). Boohoo...

mark-edk

Second Unit
I enjoyed Tenafly. McCoy with Tony Curtis was another take on The Sting with a con-man operating for good (like Switch before they inexplicably dropped the con-man angle and made it a standard detective show). Cool Million started out great, with expensive location shooting in glamorous European settings. About half-way through the show (when they got a look at the ratings) they dropped the location work (probably to avoid throwing good money after bad). One show about rescuing some guy from somewhere was mainly scene after scene of the escape party trudging through a dark studio-set tunnel. About as far from glamorous European settings as can be imagined. Madigan had a supernatural angle to it, given that he died in the movie. I'd like to get ALL the mystery movies, even the bad ones, though McMillan and Wife is my favorite, with Banacek runner-up (love the Polish proverbs). Another impossible-crime mystery show is in its 9th season on BBC: Death in Paradise. And McMillan and Wife adapted several impossible-crime stories by Edward D Hoch.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not to diminish your hard work going through these sets and comparing the differences between regions, Matthew (very useful stuff)...but I sure do get a chuckle out of those punning episode titles!

Well, I can't take credit for that. The writers let their imaginations fly here because they knew the titles wouldn't actually be shown on-screen. If anything, they remind me of the episode titles from Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I had no idea The Persuaders had a BR release so, of course, I had to go to Amazon UK to check it out. It appears to be Region B, bummer. I'm still Region A only for BR (yeah... I know... some day...)

Yes, it's Region B locked, unfortunately...but it is a great set, loaded with special features, including a very nice 156-page production notes booklet from Andrew Pixley, and fantastic video and audio quality that really lets the series shine. It was an expensive set at the time, but I got lucky and nabbed it during a Network sale for around 20 pounds for the whole shebang.

Highly suggest getting a Region Free Blu-Ray player at some stage, Howie! :) You won't regret it!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After all of the discussion and photo essays concerning The Dakotas, I made a purchase and ordered the series from Amazon, Wow, what a series, Can't believe that I had never heard of this before the upthread discussion. Westerns are probably my favorite genre and I can already tell that I am going to enjoy this one. Jack Elam is one of my favorite western guest stars and I am so pleased to see him in a more honorable role. I am only familiar with Chad Everett from Medical Center, he sure is young in this one. I think the edge to his (Jack Elam's) character is refreshing for a series regular, especially for an early 60's series. Once again I must thank all of you regulars who spoke so highly of this show and prompted the purchase. Larry Ward, Chad Everett, Jack Elam, Michael Greene.
A Man Called Ragan (1.0) Lee Van Cleef, Arch Johnson, Jeanne Cooper, Norm Alden. Excellent pilot that slowly introduces each character and shows their reasons for joining with the Sheriff. I was very pleasantly surprised by the writing and character motivations as dramatized in this episode. Jeanne Cooper was a strong guest as the only female in town. Sure was intrigued by the eyepatch, sorry it was not carried on with the series.

Return to Dryrock (1.1) Richard Hale, Natalie Trundy, Robert Ellenstein, Edward Binns. JD returns home to answer the question of why he left and confronts the ghosts of his choices as well as his preacher father. Great work by Jack Elam in this episode.

Red Sky Over Bismarck (1.2) Constance Ford, Kevin Hagen, Andrew Duggan. An obsessed man tries to force his will on the townspeople by hanging innocent men. There is the death of the preacher's wife that acts as a catalyst for the situation. A mentally slow individual is guilted into lying about what he did in order to accuse a half-breed. Again, strong subject matter and excellent performances by Duggan and Hagen.

Mutiny At Fort Mercy (1.3) George MacReady, Jeanne Cooper (again), Russell Johnson. A military leader has been on the front to long and has gone a bit crazy. The commandant tortures Del and the group does not become whole until the final act. Interesting episode that seems reminiscent of The Caine Mutiny, just without the strawberries.

With a limited number of episodes, I am going to have to go through these slowly. Looking forward to enjoying each and every one of these.

Gunsmoke - Seasons 8-9
No Hands (9.19) Strother Martin, Denver Pyle, Kevin Hagen, Wright King. The Ginnis family, not from any town, live on the prairie and are used to getting their own way. When one son gets hurt, they ride to town to get help. That was just their first brush with the folks of Dodge but proves not to be their last. I love the poetic justice ending.

MayBlossom (9.20) Lauri Peters, Charles H. Gray, Richard X. Slattery, Sarah Selby. Festus's cousin shows up in order to marry hime, per a promise their father's made years ago. Interesting background on the Haggen clan.

The Bassops (9.21) Warren Oates, Robert J. Wilkie. Character drama concerning a family with a pregnant wife who left a wagon train so they can find a doctor. Small amount of water and off track, they encounter two men handcuffed together who were injured and are unconscious. The wife makes her husband rescue the men. Upon waking, the criminal awakes first and assumes Matt's identity and misleads the travellers. Will Matt be able to convince the settler's he is the Marshal before they run out of water. I really enjoyed this one.

The Kite (9.22) Allyson Ames, Lyle Bettger, Michael Higgins. Festus finds a little girl out on the prairie. He learns she saw her mother get killed by a stranger. When he takes her to Dodge, Matt hears she was hiding when this happened but can identify this man who may already be in town.

After all the trips out west I ended the week with the Petries, finishing out Season 2 of The Dick Van Dyke Show - Complete Series Blu-ray.
Racy Tracy Rattigan (2.27) Richard Dawson guests and Rob gets jealous.
Divorce (2.28) Pickles keeps a secret from Buddy.
It's A Shame She Married Me (2.28)
A Suprise Suprise Is A Suprise (2.29) Laura pulls off a big birthday suprise.
Jilting The Jilter (2.30) Sally almost marries for the wrong reason, or does she?
When A Bowling Pin Talks, Listen (2.32) Who really owns a joke and can it be copyrighted?
All About Eaves Dropping (2.33) Walkie talkies between the Petries and Helpers creates hard feelings in this standard sitcom trope.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A few not-on-DVD sitcom episodes I managed to find:

Babes
: "Babes, Lies, and Videotape" (1/31/1991): A short-lived Fox sitcom from the 1990s that aired after The Simpsons — one of many to come and go before Fox started putting other animated series before and after it — the show centered around three plus-sized sisters Charlene (the late Wendie Jo Sperber, also of Bosom Buddies), Darlene (Susan Peretz), and Marlene (Lesley Boone) who were roommates. In this episode, one of the sisters gets a job at a video dating service, and when she lands a man, her other sisters also make dates with him. The casting is first-rate — watch for a surprise cameo by Wolfgang Puck — the jokes land more often than not, but the mechanics of the plot are pretty conventional. While the show got decent ratings up against NBC's A Different World (then the 4th highest-rated show on TV) ABC's Father Dowling Mysteries, and CBS trying The Flash and later Top Cops, Fox canceled it after its first and only season. Maybe it might have done better airing after Married with Children, making it a counterpoint to Al Bundy's noted disdain for obese women.

227: "Brother From a Sister City" (11/12/1988): Some may say being a child star is a fast track to a life of crime and hardship as an adult. That doesn't seem to be the case for Academy Award-winner Regina King, who got her start as Brenda Jenkins on this show. Countess Vaughn, added in season 4, also managed to overcome the "New Kid in Town" stigma by continuing to work on such shows as Moesha and The Parkers. This episode's guest star is another award winner: the late Olympic gold medalist Florence Griffith Joyner. She comes to a community marathon the Jenkins family, Sandra, Rose, Pearl, and Alexandra have organized to raise money for Ghanian runner Willie Amakye so he can compete in the next Olympiad. Meanwhile, Brenda gets discouraged about her own running prospects after losing a race after having won before. I have a soft spot for this show since it represents some of my first memories watching television, although I don't remember sticking with it after The Facts of Life went off the air, only catching it in reruns every now and then since. Joyner is no actress, but she feels at ease on screen and even has a way with a laugh line, particularly when she tells Brenda, "If I had given up every time I came in third, the closest I would have gotten to Korea would be watching M*A*S*H reruns." Marla Gibbs received a "story by" credit for this episode.

Disclaimer: I have completed six half-marathons and two marathons. Not one of them was in the dead of winter as this episode depicts.

227: "The Talk Show" (1/2/1988): Sandra auditions to become a TV weather reporter on cable channel 87. To say it is not exactly a high-budget affair is putting it kindly; Mr. Grant, the station manager (Flip Wilson) also sweeps the studio and anchors the evening news, while Hello, Larry reruns are its main draw. But he has dreams of making it big, and when another candidate for the job (Thom Sharp) with meteorological experience to spare becomes Sandra's competition, her on-air debut is a disaster. But she gets over her embarrassment when Mr. Grant offers her a talk show to capitalize on the unexpected reaction to it. Now it's just a matter of finding some guests … and figuring out the chain of command that decides who is responsible for booking them.

This was the first episode after Embassy Communications effectively ceased to exist as a separate unit, became an in-credit-only company called ELP Communications (though that change has yet to come with this episode) and replaced their logo of a spinning E with a five-pointed star with the Columbia torch lady. The six-note horn jingle by Timothy Thompson was the same music used in the movie Precious: Based on the Novel Push By Sapphire, and they even had to credit him for it in their closing credits! It's no coincidence since Mo'Nique co-starred with Countess Vaughn on The Parkers.

227: "The Great Manhunt" (11/8/1986): Sandra wants to get married and have children after talking to an expectant mother (Bever-Leigh Banfield), her husband (Willard E. Pugh) and her young daughter (Sheekeena Smith), but the idea of long-term commitment proves to be much different than the reality when her dates turn out not to be the marrying kind. Then she considers the idea of artificial insemination, but Mary is concerned with what life will be like for the baby if he or she grows up without a father. They dealt with the subject three years before The Golden Girls did, but the outcome there was different. Episode writers Tracy Gamble and Richard Vaczy later wrote for that show, but not any of those episodes.

Also guest starring: Michael Dorn (a year before playing Worf on Star Trek: The Next Generation) as the doctor.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
227: "The Talk Show" (1/2/1988): Sandra auditions to become a TV weather reporter on cable channel 87. To say it is not exactly a high-budget affair is putting it kindly; Mr. Grant, the station manager (Flip Wilson) also sweeps the studio and anchors the evening news, while Hello, Larry reruns are its main draw. But he has dreams of making it big, and when another candidate for the job (Thom Sharp) with meteorological experience to spare becomes Sandra's competition, her on-air debut is a disaster. But she gets over her embarrassment when Mr. Grant offers her a talk show to capitalize on the unexpected reaction to it. Now it's just a matter of finding some guests … and figuring out the chain of command that decides who is responsible for booking them.

This was the first episode after Embassy Communications effectively ceased to exist as a separate unit, became an in-credit-only company called ELP Communications (though that change has yet to come with this episode) and replaced their logo of a spinning E with a five-pointed star with the Columbia torch lady. The six-note horn jingle by Timothy Thompson was the same music used in the movie Precious: Based on the Novel Push By Sapphire, and they even had to credit him for it in their closing credits! It's no coincidence since Mo'Nique co-starred with Countess Vaughn on The Parkers.
Matthew, I have only a very vague recollection of this series (my own '80s and '90s DVD collection is rather sparse, I'm an old fogie who dwells in much older shows), but I have very much enjoyed your fine reviews, critical appraisal and background info. Well done!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
With the recent passing of Robert Conrad, I decided to revisit some of his earliest work in the 1958-59 TV season when he was on the cusp of TV stardom with the soon to launch Hawaiian Eye.

In the 1958-59 season, he was mostly busy on the great ZIV produced shows, appearing on Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt (2), and Highway Patrol, mostly as villains or inert hunks as you might expect for a young unknown. Then WB decided to cast him in the pilot for Hawaiian Eye, scheduled for the next fall. In the meantime while he was on the Warner lot, they obviously kept him busy with other WB series filming at the time...Colt .45, Lawman and Maverick. I pulled out my season one of Lawman, where Robert Conrad had a rather more substantial role...episode 25, Battle Scar (March 22, 1959)...Robert Conrad plays a young ranch hand in the employ of hothead rancher R.G. Armstrong, who puts the bull whip to him for breaking an old branding iron, much to the horror of the rancher's wife played by Catherine Mcleod...the kid also loses his cool, understandably, and swears to kill him for it...the old rancher is a civil war veteran prone to shell shock, nightmares and flashbacks connected to a battle action for which there is some question as to whether he was a hero or a coward in a battle where all his men died...Marshall Dan Troop (the great John Russell of course) and deputy Johnny McKay (Peter Brown) try to prevent the kid from acting on his threats...the old rancher is clearly losing his grasp on reality with his wife determined to leave him and the badly timed arrival of his old army friend (Walter Coy) who knows the truth about what really happened at the battle of Pell Creek bridge...my screen caps from the Warner Archive DVD set...
Lawman 4.JPG

Lawman 7.JPG

Lawman 2.JPG

Lawman 3.JPG

Lawman 9.JPG

Lawman 10.JPG

Lawman 11.JPG

Lawman 12.JPG

Lawman 14.JPG

Lawman 15.JPG

Lawman 17.JPG

Lawman 21.JPG

Lawman 22.JPG

Lawman 23.JPG

Lawman 24.JPG

Lawman 25.JPG

Lawman 26.JPG

Lawman 28.JPG

Lawman 29.JPG

Usually, the Warner Fanfare appears after the opening title card of most WB shows...with Lawman, it follows the closing credits...
Lawman 30.JPG

Robert Conrad was only 23 when he did this, but his assured and accomplished screen presence is already very evident, the hallmarks of the TV star he would soon become...

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
With the recent passing of Robert Conrad, I decided to revisit some of his earliest work in the 1958-59 TV season when he was on the cusp of TV stardom with the soon to launch Hawaiian Eye.

In the 1958-59 season, he was mostly busy on the great ZIV produced shows, appearing on Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt (2), and Highway Patrol, mostly as villains or inert hunks as you might expect for a young unknown. Then WB decided to cast him in the pilot for Hawaiian Eye, scheduled for the next fall. In the meantime while he was on the Warner lot, they obviously kept him busy with other WB series filming at the time...Colt .45, Lawman and Maverick. I pulled out my season one of Lawman, where Robert Conrad had a rather more substantial role...episode 25, Battle Scar (March 22, 1959)...Robert Conrad plays a young ranch hand in the employ of hothead rancher R.G. Armstrong, who puts the bull whip to him for breaking an old branding iron, much to the horror of the rancher's wife played by Catherine Mcleod...the kid also loses his cool, understandably, and swears to kill him for it...the old rancher is a civil war veteran prone to shell shock, nightmares and flashbacks connected to a battle action for which there is some question as to whether he was a hero or a coward in a battle where all his men died...Marshall Dan Troop (the great John Russell of course) and deputy Johnny McKay (Peter Brown) try to prevent the kid from acting on his threats...the old rancher is clearly losing his grasp on reality with his wife determined to leave him and the badly timed arrival of his old army friend (Walter Coy) who knows the truth about what really happened at the battle of Pell Creek bridge...my screen caps from the Warner Archive DVD set...

Usually, the Warner Fanfare appears after the opening title card of most WB shows...with Lawman, it follows the closing credits...

Robert Conrad was only 23 when he did this, but his assured and accomplished screen presence is already very evident, the hallmarks of the TV star he would soon become...

______
Excellent!​

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Persuaders - 1.13 "The Long Goodbye"
A cracking episode, this, full of great guest stars, and a plot taken more seriously than the norm. Our jet-setting playboy heroes, Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) and Danny Wilde (Tony Curtis), are tromping about the woods of Scotland when they come across a wrecked plane, containing the corpse of a scientist named Wilks, missing for over decade (and presumed to have defected).

The man had apparently perfected a new formula for creating synthetic oil before his plane went down. Now Brett and Danny have the formula and Judge Fulton (Lawrence Naismith) makes sure that information is leaked to the press, in hopes of flushing out whoever it was who sabotaged Wilks' plane. The judge's plans soon bear fruit, as Danny and Brett are kidnapped, threatened, bribed, cajoled and otherwise by various parties interested in the formula.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h18m34s179.png

Several women come forth claiming to be the dead scientist's daughter, Carla. One (Madeline Smith) approaches Brett at his swinging bachelor flat...

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h12m24s168.png

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h19m16s75.png

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h19m45s103.png

...and another (Anouska Hempel) joins Danny at his favorite watering hole.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h12m54s89.png

Neither comely imposter is very happy to see the other when Brett and Danny get together to compare notes.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h13m27s35.png

Eventually, the real Carla Wilks turns up, in the fresh-faced, doe-eyed form of Nicola Pagett.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h14m05s20.png

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h18m15s199.png

Brett and Danny have to keep her safe, while she decides what to do with her father's legacy - a tough moral decision with a vast fortune and huge societal change hanging in the balance...and there's also that little matter of who was responsible for her father's death.

As if this pulchritude-filled episode needed any more glamor, we get two fun scenes with pneumatic stunner Valerie Leon, as a promotion girl for "Space Queen" soap, who helps Brett out at the finale.

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h15m33s135.png

vlcsnap-2020-02-28-11h16m50s112.png

The male guest cast ain't half bad, either: Leo Genn, Peter Sallis, Noel Willman, Glynn Edwards and Brian Jackson. The above screencaps were taken from the Region 1 DVD...Network's Region B Blu-Ray transfers blow these out of the water. Roger Moore also directed this very engaging, lively episode, one of the best of this short-lived but beloved ITC series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks