1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Ron, I was just as quickly hooked when I started watching the Saint. I had always shyed away from it because I had never liked Roger Moore's smarminess as James Bond. But that same charm works really well as Simon Templar. Plus it's in black and white. And it has that great 1960's ITC feel. Enjoy!

2. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the review, Russ! I've not seen The Roy Rogers Show. It sounds fun. I find it both sad and rather astounding that Roy Rogers has faded so far into pop culture obscurity, considering just how huge he was for so many years. I guess our cynical modern era has little use for modest little action yarns featuring singing cowboys.

I guess I'm not one to talk, though, as pretty much the only Roy Rogers movie I've watched is Son of Paleface, where he takes a back seat to Bob Hope. I do have Kino's remastered Trigger, Jr. and Sunset in the West and plan to watch them soon. But hey - at least I know who Roy Rogers is!

Darby67, Purple Wig, Rustifer and 2 others like this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I watched Roy Rogers whenever his show was on and generally liked it - but my "go to" western was The Lone Ranger. I was never quite sure what to make of Dale Evans and the use of the Jeep always annoyed me - they're *cowboys* so why a Jeep? (Hmmm... that kind of begs for a "Why a duck" type response...) It's like they couldn't quite decide just which type of show they wanted to be - traditional or "modern." In spite of that I *did* own the requisite holster, gun, and cowboy hat. Mom says I'd get on my rocking horse to watch either and the faster they rode the faster I rode.

Mine looked like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Another full week enjoying some "classic" television. I started the week off with some wild trips with Project Backstep:
    Seven Days - Complete Series
    Walk Away (2.6) Sequel concerning a Roswell aliens desire for revenge against Mr. Parker.

Sister Keeper (2.7) A story concerning Olga's oversexed sister and the Russian mob.

The Collector (2.8) To prevent a "dam" disaster, Parker backsteps while drunk and inadvertently aids in a serial killers jailbreak.

Love and Other Disasters (2.9) Robin Leach and LifeStyles Of The Rich and Famous invade an arranged marriage of convenience that does not set well with a racial purist.

The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (2.10) Cat and mouse in a wargames scenario. A hawkish admiral feels like he must start the next war in order to keep things correct.

The Gremlin (2.11) An actual gremlin creates havoc with the team.

Cannon - Complete Series
    Bad Cats and Sudden Death (2.1) Michael Tolan, Marj Dusay, Severn Darden, Larry Linville. Deputy DA is accused of murder and seeks Cannon's help.

Sky Above, Death Below (2.2) Leslie Charleson, Richard Hatch, Ken Lynch, A union leader is killed and his daughter believes it was murder. Cannon is asked to help.

Bitter Legion (2.3) Lloyd Bochner, Scott Hylands, Irene Tsu, Jesse Vint, Mickey Dolenz, Vietnam veterans trained to steal and Cannon goes undercover to save a troubled vet.

That Was No Lady (2.4) Jessica Walter, Robert Webber. A charity manager, two inept safecrackers and stolen bonds intrigue Cannon.

Stakeout (2.5) Patrick O'Neal, Belinda Montgomery, Mike Farrell, Sheree North. Cannon preventsa robbery and has a ruluctant witness/participant with a very rich and entitled father.

The Predators (2.6) Phyllis Thaxter, Robert Pine, David Sheiner, Eddie Firestone, Pamela Franklin. Criminal negligence and sheep mutilation.

Daniel Boone - Season 2
    Empire Of The Lost (2.1) Edward Mulhare. A corrupt British Officer kidnaps Boonesborough to force Daniel to sell the property.

The Tortoise And The Hate (2.2) Robert Logan. Annual footrace competition is in doubt as Daniel is injured. Jericho Jones is pressed into running for all of the settlers.

The Mound Builders (2.3) Henry Silva. Aztecs in Kentucky searching for a lost artifact. Really like Henry Silva, just not this particular episode.

My Name Is Rawls (2.4) Rafer Johnson, Michael Conrad, Lawrence Montaigne. A slave is used to steal pelts and enrich the people he worked for.

The Old Man And The Cave (2.5) Cyril Delevanti, Val Avery. Isaiah rescues an old Indian who has been left to die.

Found two seasons in a local WalMart for $5 each. This was not a series I watched with much regularity, but I was aware because of the theme and opening credit of Dan'l throwing the ax and splitting the tree. Wasn't fully aware of visual effects editing at that age. I have to admit that being from Western Kentucky and having family in Eastern Kentucky, the scenery strains credibility. The Aztec episode is very bad in this regard. The show is enjoyable as a 60's episodic sreies. Just wish they had made a better attempt as simulating the rolling hills and rounded mountains of the Appalachains.

Have Gun - Will Travel - Complete Series
    Day of the Badmen (3.17) William Joyce, Sue Randall, Eleanor Audley. Paladin uses a "ringer" to con a town and an outlaw.

The Pledge (3.18) Robert Gist, Cyril Delevanti. Paladin aids a man rescuing his wife by delivering a Gatling gun.

Jenny (3.19) Trevor Bardette, Ellen Clark, Peter Leeds. Paladin encounters a counterfeit ring.

Return to Fort Benjamin (3.20) Anthony Caruso, Charles Aidman, Robert J. Wilkie. An Indian chief wishes his son to have a proper Indian funeral pyre which is being denied by the military. Interesting role reversals by the guest cast.

Night the Town Died (3.21) Barney Philips, Vic Perrin, Barry Bahill. A town is fearful of a returning prisoner.

The Ledge (3.22) John Hoyt, Richard Shannon. Paladin has to convince 4 men to aid a victim of an avalanche.

The High Chaparral - Season 4
    Fiesta (4.10) Nehemiah Persoff. Buck encounters a "fight club" ring and worls to stop it as he is traveling to a fiests for R&R.

A Matter of Vengeance (4.11) Barry Sullivan, William Lucking, Warren J. Kemmerling. A sequle to his earlier episode. Sullivan is now searching for three men who burned his ranch and killed his grandson. There are minor uses of flashbacks to remind us the past episode.

Pale Warrior (4.12) Frank Webb, Rudy Ramos, X Brands. The Chaparral is infiltrated by a young brave wanting to make his mark for manhood. Wind sees through this and warns Big John.

The Badge (4.13) Morgan Woodward, Alan Oppenheimer, Gary Busey, Jonathan Goldsmith. Flashback episode after the Civil War and before the move to Nevada showing how Buck and Big John reconnected. Dying hair just doesn't make them look young.

Gunsmoke - Season 19
    Women For Sale (19.1, 19.2) James Whitmore, Nicholas Hammond, Shani Wallis, Dawn Lyn, Gregory Sierra, Kathleen Cody. Commancheros, kidnapping, murder, white slave trade. Excellent two-parter where Matt Dillon goes on a one-man rescue. I truly enjoyed this one just as much as I did when it originally aired.

Matt's Love Story (19.13) Michael Learned, Keith Andes, William Schallert, Victor French and guest starring the High Chaparral. A personal favorite. SHow hits all the right notes. Sure was glad they returned to this for one of the reunion movies.

The Boy And The Sinner (19.14) Ron Moody, John Crawford, Vincent van Patten, Ken Lynch. A young boy rehabilitates his drunken neighbor.

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Guest starring The High Chaparral? What does that mean?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    That is where the "Villain" lives. Location shooting in Old Tucson saw the use of the ranch. Since I had just watched some episodes of The High Chaparral, it was very easy to spot the fence line, the ranch house, the water tower as well as the distant mountain. Seems this episode was shot in 1973, several years after the Cannons were canceled. The fence and water tower looked run down.

Just surprised me to see that set used in a Gunsmoke ep.

7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Ah, I see! Didn't see The High Chaparral before, so was unfamiliar with what you were speaking of.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Another rare telefilm (about under water exploration) which I only watched the first minute that I'd like to watch completely: The Aquarians (1970)

starring

Ricardo Montalban
    José Ferrer
    Leslie Nielsen
    Chris Robinson
    Katherine Woodville
    Lawrence Casey
    Tom Simcox
    Curt Lowens

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  9. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Murder she Wrote Season 1.

The Murder of Sherlock Holmes
    Deadly lady
    Birds of a feather
    Hooray for Homicide

Matlock Season 4

The Hunting Party
    The Pro
    The Informer

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Message #3610 of 3944 Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    It's been all British action / adventure, all the time this past week at casa Flugel, staring with three 30-minute episodes from the ITC Retro-Action Blu-Ray sets:

Danger Man
    - 1.1 "View from the Villa"
    Love this series, especially these earlier half-hour episodes, which are lean and mean with absolutely no fat on the bone. The beautiful Barbara Shelley stars as a woman who witnesses some creeps beat her fiancee to death trying to get him to confess where he hid a million in stolen gold. John Drake (the always magnetic Patrick McGoohan) flits around Rome trying to track down the woman and the gold. Watched this one without realizing it was the very first episode of the series. The show certainly hits the ground running, with all the elements in place.

vlcsnap-2020-02-20-08h59m45s48.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - 1.19 "The Sheriff's Boots"
    Just an average episode of this 1950s swashbuckler (one of ITC's first big successes), starring Richard Greene as the fabled folk hero. Robin Hood and his mere handful of Merry Men (basically two guys and a donkey cart, judging from this episode anyway) come to the aid of a local village whose boot-making business has aroused the ire of merchants in Nottingham. Tanning leather for boot manufacturing seems a pretty tame enterprise for Robin and his men, but hey, whatever keeps you in grog, I suppose. The main appeal of this episode is in seeing two young English Roses in full bloom: Joan Sims, later made famous by her appearances in many Carry On films, and Bernadette O'Farrell, who played Maid Marian for the first two seasons.

[​IMG]

The Invisible Man - 1.1 "Secret Experiment"
    When government scientist Peter Brady accidentally renders himself invisible, he turns to a rival scientist (Michael Goodliffe) for help, but is quickly betrayed by the man, who wants the secret formula for himself. The acting by both the person doing the voice of Brady (Tim Turner, unseen and uncredited throughout the series run) and the woman playing his sister (Lisa Daniely) is...um, let's be charitable and say, not good... but what makes this one quite fun is the wealth of clever, practical "invisible man" visual effects. A ten-year-old Deborah Watling (companion Victoria from the Patrick Troughton era of Doctor Who) has a recurring role as Brady's niece, and acts both of her adult co-stars off the screen.

The Sweeney - 1.8 "The Cover Story"
    Somewhat atypical for this gritty, groundbreaking police drama, the crime story takes a back set to romance here. Hard-as-nails copper Jack Regan (John Thaw) falls for a gorgeous reporter (Prunella Gee) who may or may not be involved with a gang of criminals and their nefarious doings. Not a lot of action, but the acting, script and seedy decor are up to par, and Ms. Gee makes for a very attractive suspect.

vlcsnap-2020-02-20-09h11m07s236.
    vlcsnap-2020-02-20-09h07m32s116.

Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)
    1.7 "Murder Ain't What It Used to Be"
    An aging Chicago mobster arrives in London for the first time in 15 years, and hires Randall to protect his estranged daughter (Sue Gerrard) from vengeful colleagues...but the real danger comes from the ghost of the mobster's long ago betrayed and murdered partner, Bugsy (Davids Healy). Bugsy, having been a ghost far longer than Marty Hopkirk, has a lot more powers at his incorporeal disposal and uses them to threaten Marty's widow, Jeannie (Annette Andre, looking particularly nice this episode in her brightly-colored minidresses) to force the detectives to do away with his old nemesis. The way the story works out renders Jeff's role in the plot essentially meaningless, and Healy's cigar-chomping performance becomes grating after a while, but it's enjoyable to see the series playing with its supernatural format more than usual.

[​IMG]

The Professionals
    - 4.15 "It's Only a Beautiful Picture"
    Prunella Gee take two, here married to a country village lord of the manor (Moray Watson), who leads a gang of nasty ex-military types that steals works of art and government secrets, sells them to the highest bidder and sneaks them out of the country via a small air charter business. It doesn't seem like a CI5 sort of case, really, and is not the most action-packed of episodes by this show's lively standards. Plus, there's a rather strange and ruthless plot point, in which CI5 boss Cowley (Gordon Jackson) basically sets up two innocent delivery drivers to be killed in order to nab the bad guys...an action that leaves a bitter taste in the viewer's mouth, especially as it's just glossed over at the celebratory finale. Despite these problems, there are still several pleasures to be had in this episode, not least of which is the customary sharp, tough guy banter between lead operatives Bodie (Lewis Collins) and Doyle (Martin Shaw), the latter having a whale of a good time going undercover as an unkempt, mouthy constable with the local police force. And the funky main theme is wonderful:

The Protectors

1.2 "Brother Hood"
    2.17 "Sugar and Spice"
    I had never seen this Gerry Anderson produced live-action series - which ran from 1971 to 1973, for two series and a total of 52 thirty minute episodes - before last night, when I found a few episodes in decent quality on YouTube. "Brother Hood" is mistakenly listed as the first episode on YT, but is actually the second, and stars Patrick Troughton as a shifty criminal who hires the Protectors team (Robert Vaughn, Nyree Dawn Porter and Tony Anholt) to break his political dissident brother (Vladek Sheybal) out of prison. The shorter run-time makes for a fast-paced story with minimal exposition and lots of colorful scenery and action. "Sugar and Spice," from season two, slows down a bit and lets us spend time with the team, as they hole up in a cottage in the English countryside in order to protect a politician's young daughter from kidnappers. The twist is they have to keep the girl from finding out that her life is in danger. Robert Vaughn sports some hideous wardrobe in this episode that has to be seen to be believed...

Screenshot (35).
    Only in the '70s could you get away with a sport coat like that...

Apparently Vaughn didn't care for the series, the scripts or Gerry Anderson (who, it must be said, was not generally well-liked by most of his actors), but you can't tell from his performance, which is slick and professional as always. There are a lot of mixed opinions about this show, but I really enjoyed both of these episodes. The series may not be top tier ITC, but seems to be fast-paced, stylish and fun...and it doesn't hurt that it was filmed in many exotic European locations.

[​IMG]

11. Message #3611 of 3944 Feb 20, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Excellent and inspiring roundup of your usual choice Brit TV viewing Jeff. As usual, you inspire me to revisit my own British TV collection. Funny about Danger Man/Secret Agent, I differ from yourself in greatly preferring the one hour reboot of this show. Although I have some favorites among the half hour shows too, Position of Trust (w/Donald Pleasence, Lois Maxwell), The Conspirators (Patricia Driscoll, Percy Herbert, with a great helicopter chase sequence), Gallows Tree (ancestral forerunner to the great hour episode, That's Two of us Sorry, one of my all time favorites!), Under the Lake, Dead Man Walks, etc., but I really hate the discordant brass fanfare (at least to me) theme music for the earlier half hour episodes. And that music suffers greatly in comparison to the great Astly music used for the hour episodes. I recently watched another of my all time favorite hour episodes, The Mirror's New, reminding me of everything I ever loved about this show! I'll probably do a post with screen caps from my DVDs, which already look astounding, so I can only imagine what this series looks like on Blu-ray!

I finished up my re-visitation with The Dakotas, A Nice Girl from Goliath (May 13, 1963) W: E.M. Parsons. D: Charles R. Rondeau. Guest cast: Audrey Dalton, Frank DeKova, Elisha Cook Jr.

Audrey Dalton, looking especially delectable as usual, plays Ronnie, an evil-by-nature saloon proprietoress in the worthless and ugly gold mining town of Goliath, who ruthlessly exploits and manipulates the many men who are naturally drawn to her...enriching herself in the process, but also making powerful enemies along the way...most recently, she has been amused by the killing of her latest paramour, for whom she cares not, except for his gold...he was shot by another of her suitors, who is quickly hanged for the crime by the mob who enjoys such things as casual entertainment...Ronnie smirks at their folly, telling deputy Del (Chad Everett), who was prevented by the mob from intervening in the hanging, that "men are such fools!"...

My screen caps from the Warner Archive DVD set...
    Dakotas 73.JPG

Ronnie peels the grasping hands of the dying man off of her bar...no tears shed for this hapless miner who dies trying to protect her...stone cold!
    Dakotas 70.JPG

The 2 dollar whores turn out excitedly with the mob to witness the lynching...if you lived in the worthless hole of Goliath, this was the social event of the season...
    Dakotas 69.JPG
    Dakotas 76.JPG
    Dakotas 77.JPG
    Dakotas 81.JPG Dakotas 74.JPG

Marshall Ragan (Larry Ward) is still convalescing from the wounds he suffered in the previous episode, Sanctuary at Crystal Springs, and relaxes with deputy J.D. Smith (Jack Elam) playing crib in his hotel room...such continuity, rare in this era, was another hallmark of this great but short lived series...
    Dakotas 82.JPG

His tranquility is short lived too, as local galoot Matt Kellog barges in (Frank DeKova, soon to be chief Wild Eagle of the vaunted Hekawi tribe in F-Troop)...Kellog is hell-bent on avenging the lynching of his brother, and is well aware of Ronnie's manipulative role in his hanging...he's taking his horde of hired guns to Goliath to even the score, and maybe to wipe the town off the map in the process...
    Dakotas 83.JPG

Stavros sighting! George Savalas of Kojak (Telly's bro.) tending bar in Ronnie's saloon...where, wouldn't ya bet it, deputy Del is falling for the luscious saloon keeper...Ronnie needs some guns to defend her, and callously manipulating men to their doom is old hat to her...
    Dakotas 89.JPG
    Dakotas 92.JPG
    Dakotas 93.JPG
    Dakotas 97.JPG
    Dakotas 98.JPG

J.D. arrives to sort out this mess, and soon sizes up the evil Ronnie for the deadly siren she is...he's immune to her charms, giving her the stink eye to end them all...
    Dakotas 102.JPG
    Dakotas 104.JPG
    Dakotas 108.JPG
    Dakotas 109.JPG
    Dakotas 112.JPG

J.D. deduces that saloon girl Esther (Diane Sayer), knows the truth behind the lynching...and just how evil the sociopath Ronnie can be...
    Dakotas 113.JPG

Continued next post...

12. Message #3612 of 3944 Feb 20, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    The Dakotas A Nice Girl from Goliath cont'd...

Marshall Ragan arrives to assist deputies J.D. and Del in protecting the lovely but supremely evil Ronnie from the wrath of kingpin rancher Matt Kellog and his horde of hired guns...Ragan determines that an abandoned US Army Fort nearby on the Warner lot offers the best chance of defending the rotten Ronnie from her otherwise much deserved fate...a well staged and spectacular gun battle ensues...
    Dakotas 115.JPG
    Dakotas 116.JPG
    Dakotas 121.JPG
    Dakotas 123.JPG
    Dakotas 124.JPG
    Dakotas 117.JPG
    Dakotas 126.JPG
    Dakotas 125.JPG

No spoilers, but Marshall Ragan and deputy J.D. finally discover the ultimate truth about evil saloon girl Ronnie...they are not surprised...
    Dakotas 127.JPG
    Dakotas 129.JPG
    Dakotas 131.JPG

It's too bad that The Dakotas didn't last longer, as it's probably the best thing that the celebrated and much loved Jack Elam ever got to do...and definitely the best thing that Larry Ward ever did as well...Jack Elam himself enjoyed a successful and long lasting career, but Larry Ward died relatively young at age 60...one of the amazing things I discovered about him was as a screenwriter...although he only had 5 writing credits, one of them is the memorable season 5 Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode The Little Man Who Was There, a wonderful supernatural episode that Hitchcock producer and actor Norman Lloyd really shines in...amazingly, Hollywood veteran Norman Lloyd is still with us at age 105!

Bert Greene, Darby67, Dan McW and 2 others like this.
  13. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    After watching and enjoying very much The Dakotas, I later saw Larry Ward in small parts on The FBI, although his career continued after those roles. By the way--great posts, Randall and Jeff!

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  14. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Cheers, Randall! I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding the Edwin Astley music for the hour-long Danger Man being vastly superior. I also prefer Patrick McGoohan's normal English accent over the mid-Atlantic one he affects in the half-hour version. I am a big fan of the hour-long shows, too...I just really admire the tight pace and lean storytelling of the first batch of 30 minute shows.

Great stuff, Randall! This looks like a bang-up episode, and the fact that it features Audrey Dalton puts it high up the "to be watched soon" queue.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  15. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks, Dan! What have you been watching lately?

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  16. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    I've been plowing through Gunsmoke and am about to finish season 17. I've also been watching Boris Karloff's Thriller from start to finish and have about six episodes left. I bogged down in season 4 of The Twilight Zone and late in season two of the Invaders but will finish those series soon. I'm actually keeping up with 12-15 series, including The Sinner season 3 on USA Network, The Outsider on HBO, and Homeland's final season on Showtime. But, I like the oldies much more!

17. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    In the middle of season one of St. Elsewhere. Man, what a show. I just wish they had released all seasons to DVD. Even though I grew up in that period it’s funny to see people smoking in hospitals.
    Started the British show Doc Martin. Funny and entertaining.
    Finally about to start the last season of Mannix. It’s been enjoyable, not sure if this is one I’ll revisit again.

Flashgear, bmasters9 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  18. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I’m currently riding through disc 4 of Gunsmoke season 17.
    I was really impressed by the three-parter “The Bullet”.​

19. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    “Agreed, Mr. Wordsworth!”

Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    The Love Boat
    "Business of Love" (S1E24)

As a young man, I would watch this show occasionally if it promised to showcase a babe or two that I particularly fancied. Although most of the guest stars were actors well past their sell by date, there were some still current in the public eye. Each episode consisted of highly predictable vignettes of passengers' adventures, all tied together by a crew of dubious seaworthy skills. I've been on cruise ships and noted around a thousand crew members scurrying around to serve the passengers. The Pacific Princess seemed to have a staff of about seven, with all passengers on a first name basis with the Captain.

This cruise begins with the formulaic introduction of the individual passengers as they board. First up is Jill (Caren Kaye), a former prostitute who has given up the horizontal mambo with paying johns. Next up is Roberta (Annette Funicello), a widow who is immediately propositioned by Gopher (Fred Gandy) for a dinner date--a move probably not sanctioned in the ship's policy manual. Following Roberta are the Prices (Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie) toting a bagful of decade-old jokes to unleash on unlucky fellow travelers. Last and certanly leat is Jocelyn (Jessica Walter), Captain Stubing's (Gavin MacLeod) high school sweetheart who used to refer to him a "Stringbean" in his thinner years.

upload_2020-2-21_9-37-13. [​IMG] upload_2020-2-21_9-39-46.
    Caren Kaye; Annette Funicello; The massive crew of the Pacific Princess

I always paid close attention to the poolside scenes, where the requisite dress was bikinis and spike heels. Fantasy eye candy to this young man. But, to make a long commentary shorter by capsulation:

Jill meets rich bachelor Bill (Christopher George) and lust sparks are in the air. Her slut background is going to come in handy in landing this guy.
    Stubing tries to lose weight so as to be more desirable to Jocelyn. Apparently he's visited the desert buffet too many times.
    Widow Roberta meets widow Nate, and she promises to show him her mouseketeer ears if he behaves himself.
    The Prices do their annoying schtick to anyone who'll listen. Most don't.

Tying all this boisterous fun together is bartender Isaac (Ted Lange) who jumps from passenger to passenger taking orders for $35 cocktails. Sure, the food is free--but you have to mortgage your house for a drink. Whatever roadblocks any of these relationships run into, all are neatly resolved by the time the ship pulls into port, or hits an iceberg--whichever comes first.

Notes:
    Jill Whelan, who played Captain Stubing's young daughter, grew up to be Celebrations Ambassador for Princess Cruise Lines.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jill filled out quite nicely...

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.