1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Then you must be a whole different Southerner to me-- the stuffing/dressing I've had at Thanksgivings is generally very good, and an integral part of our meals at that November holiday.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Stuffing and dressing are not the same thing. Stuffing is a mostly bread mixture that's cooked inside the bird cavity. Dressing is a side dish, made with mostly cornbread, has cooked chicken (you could use turkey if you're so inclined) as an ingredient, and is cooked in its own dish. It does not contain "weird" things like sausage, oysters, etc.

"Stuffing" (this one's been cooked in its own dish rather than in the bird but has the same taste):
    [​IMG]

"Chicken and Dressing":
    [​IMG]

*Every* "stuffing" I've ever had tastes pretty much like "Stove Top Stuffing" Mix or worse. I made that stuff once. Never again!

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Susan Nunes_329977

Susan Nunes_329977 Stunt Coordinator

Susan Nunes
    I have been alternating between Ben Casey and Naked City. Tonight I watched an episode from the former which starred frequent television guest star Jack Warden playing a doctor who butted heads with Ben, and, coincidentally, I happened to watch an episode of Naked City that also had Jack Warden, only this time he was a killer. And who should play Warden's daughter, who was on her honeymoon, in the episode than Eileen Fulton, famous among soap opera buffs for playing the many, many times married "Lisa" on As the World Turns! Gosh I love these shows. The series really were better back then.

Darby67, Purple Wig, ChrisALM and 6 others like this.
  4. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Watching now... The Roman Holidays (Hanna-Barbera, 1972)

~Ben

Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Message #3205 of 3601 Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Series Commentary
    The Adventures of Spin and Marty
    Season 1

A centerpiece of my life as a 6-year old. This Disney series debuted on the Mickey Mouse Club in 1955 with 11 minute segments of kids hanging out in a Summer camp ranch--and can now be seen on the Disney Plus streaming app. I laughed out loud when the opening credits contained the caveat "May contain outdated cultural depictions". No sh*t, Sherlock. The episodes sometimes teeter on the edge of child abuse, pedophilia and class discrimination. But as a 6-year old, none of that registered as I sat breathlessly on the floor with my knees to my chin, impatiently waiting for all the Mousketeer crap to wind down and get on to the next episode of Spin and Marty.

Apart from leads Tim Considine (Spin) and David Stollery (Marty), the cast consisted mainly of amateur actor kids being supervised and indulged by semi-amused adults led by veterans Harry Carey, Jr., J. Pat O'Malley and Sammee Tong. There was loads of embroidered shirts, bolo ties and stetson hats to further the "Western image" of the dude ranch. Ollie, the grizzled ranch hand, could hardly believe his bad fortune of having to deal with a bunch of snot-nosed greenhorns, muttering "Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!" every five minutes.

The Triple R Ranch hosts some twenty to thirty 14 year-old boys (no goofy girls in Season 1) every summer where the plot revolves around veteran camper Spin and newcomer Marty, a spoiled rich kid who travels to the camp with his personal valet Perkins (O'Malley). The initial season depicts a slow and reluctant friendship developing between the two boys. The "adventures" consist mainly of practical jokes, campfire singing, snipe-hunting, horse-riding and roping calves--learning to slaughter and butcher them into steak sandwiches*. Herding the boys is camp counselor Bill Burnett (Carey) and ranch manager Col. Logan (Roy Barcroft). The camp's Chinese cook George (Fong) whips up traditional ranch chow such as Mandarin Duck and Shrimp in Lobster Sauce.

upload_2019-12-18_9-29-59. upload_2019-12-18_9-30-15. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Marty's first day; Typical ranch couture; Everyone needs a butler in camp; Learning the ropes

Marty, a wimp from the word go, is afraid of horses and is assigned the calmest one of the bunch named Skyrocket. Spin is a future rodeo star and literally knows all the ropes. They start off on the wrong foot with one another and eventually have to duke out their differences in the makeshift camp boxing ring. Little by little, both learn to respect each others' strengths and fulfill the Disney myth that "everything will eventually turn out okay".

As entertainment, the series is a bit past its expiration date, but its nostalgia value is still intact. I doubt that summer camps in the 1950's were so different from the Triple R ranch, although few could throw the resources Disney put into the vaunted image of a boy's ranch. Watching the series, I could almost smell the pinewood walls of the bunkhouse and odors emanating from the horse stalls.

Notes:
    The series was filmed at Disney's massive Golden Oak Ranch, about an hour north of Los Angeles--also the setting for Zorro and any number of Disney movies.

Disney budgeted a little over $500,000 for the entire series, which after production costs the actors probably earned about $56 apiece.

I'm desperately hoping that Disney Plus will eventually add to its lineup the Mickey Mouse Club series The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure.

Due to the series popularity, one could actually send away for a genuine Triple R Ranch t-shirt and pin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    In 1955, you didn't amount to much if you weren't wearing this stuff. Add in a Davy Crockett coonskin cap and you ruled the neighborhood.

*I made that up.

MatthewA, ilovenola2, Darby67 and 6 others like this.
  6. Message #3206 of 3601 Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    My grandmother and mother always put sausage and turkey giblets into their dressing / stuffing. When I tried to introduce that to my own family later in life, one would think I was adding spider droppings and cow snot by their reaction. As a result, we pretty much stick to the simple bread, celery, onions and broth version--much to my personal regret.

upload_2019-12-18_10-7-12.

7. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I was never a big Western fan as a kid but I wished so bad I could spend a summer at a place like the Triple-R. An online friend told me that to him the show was as a road map on how to get along with others. There was probably something in it for everyone and it's the only MMC series to spawn two sequels (not quite as good but still warmly remembered).

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Turkey (or Chicken) giblets are only for making "Giblet Gravy" in my family. Few eat it (It's nothing but stock - chicken or turkey - in which you cook the giblets, add a chopped, hard boiled egg or two, season to taste with salt and pepper, and thicken with cornstarch or flour) and I've not made it in years (mainly because we don't purchase whole roasting chickens any more and we don't eat turkey unless it's been smoked - which is rare unless it's from the deli). If anyone misses it they've not said a word.

9. Message #3209 of 3601 Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm a few years younger and vaguely remember The Mickey Mouse Club - mostly because I didn't much care for it and only watched it to see those short bits - and not that often as I never liked the Mousketeer bits and just didn't have the patience to sit through them. I do recall some of those "Spin & Marty" episodes - those were quite fun!

10. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Hi Guys - Yes I'm still around - just not posting much
    All this turkey giblet talk makes me think of my one of my favorite Bickerson episodes (for those confused - a radio program with Don Ameche and Francis Langford)
    "This is terrible what did you stuff it with? I didn't stuff it - it wasn't hollow"

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That's similar to the first time I baked a turkey. We never had them growing up so I never knew they stuck the giblet sack in (under) the neck flap. So I cook this bird (it was the "Christmas bonus" from work that year - not throwing it out as it can be eaten even though we don't much care for them), put it on the table, and start to carve. Wait... what's this under the bird? It's the giblet sack! I was going to go ahead and turn 'em into giblet gravy but they wouldn't let me.. Hey! They were cooked! What's the problem?!?

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Always good to see you pop in, Marv!

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Never seen any of the Spin and Marty shows, Russ, but really enjoyed your post about it...and am glad to hear that it's present and correct on Disney+. I hope more of Disney's classic TV content makes it there eventually, like Zorro (Disney+ has a movie version right now), Texas John Slaughter, Elfega Baca, The Swamp Fox and others.

MatthewA, Darby67, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  14. Message #3214 of 3601 Dec 19, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

I'm still watching my season 2 set of The Wild Wild West.
    I'm at disc 6 out of 7.
    I finished off two good ones related to the realm of positivist writer Jules Verne:
    “The Night of the Brain” (guest starring Edward Andrews)
    “The Night of the Deadly Bubble” (guest starring Alfred Ryder)

w3_s2.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've *always* loved the open and bumpers for The Wild Wild West. My favorite regular bit is when he kisses the dance hall girl and then gives her a right hook as she attempts to stab him in the back. I was the perfect age for its blend of SF/Spy/Action/Western episodes. It's currently #5 on my favorite 60s shows list (beat out by ST:TOS, Outer Limits, Batman, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and depending on the day could easily swap places with Dobie...) and #9 of my all-time-favorite top 10.

16. Message #3216 of 3601 Dec 19, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Those are two great ones, John! Just so much gold in Season 2!

With you on those opening titles, Howie! The Wild Wild West is easily one of my top shows of all time, and probably only the original Star Trek beats it out as my favorite '60s show, though there is stiff competition throughout that decade of great TV. It's got pretty much everything: secret agent action, intrigue, bizarre plots, dashing heroes, horses, cowboys, Gothic horror, colorful villains, beautiful women, disguises, an assortment of interesting Victorian sci-fi ideas, cool gadgets, humor, great music...what's not to love?

17. Message #3217 of 3601 Dec 19, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

The Wild Wild West was as good as The Avengers (under Brian Clemens).
    Both were extravagant, witty and both had a first-rate season in color (season 2 for West and season 5 for Avengers).
    “The Night of the Deadly Bubble” featured one of my favorite female guest: Dr. Abigail Pringle.
    Ta-ta, Mr. West!

18. Message #3218 of 3601 Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

James West and Dr. Abigail Pringle at the Hotel Aztec's room.
    dead_b1.
    Enter Captain Philo.
    dead_b2. dead_b3.

19. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

I'm still watching my season 2 set of The Wild Wild West.
    I just finished disc 6.
    “The Night of the Surreal McCoy” (the third Dr. Loveless offering and the greatest Dr. Loveless from season 2)
    “The Night of the Colonel’s Ghost” (guest starring Kathie Browne aka the wife of Darren McGavin)

¶​

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Doug Wallen like this.
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Cleared through season 4 on Have Gun Will Travel

Doug Wallen likes this.