1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Message #2941 of 3097 Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the well wishes, and interesting question, Peter! I'll tackle it in two (rather rambling, sorry) parts...first, as to classic U.S. shows, it's a mixed bag. When I first moved to Osaka back in 2004, a cable channel called AXN gave me my first exposure to shows like The Persuaders!, The Magician, The Immortal and a handful of others. Nowadays, AXN's content is all recent stuff, mostly CBS crime dramas and the like. Columbo is still popular in Japan and I caught nearly the entire run of original shows (and the few good ones from the later run) on network TV channels. Now, it mostly only shows up on AXN Mystery (as do things like the Joan Hickson Miss Marple, Poirot with David Suchet, the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes and other, more recent British mysteries.) Occasionally, I'll come across an original Mission: Impossible or Bewitched on network TV as well, but as with classic American films, the schedule is hit or miss, and so I depend on DVD and Blu-Ray content (or YouTube and Amazon Prime) 99% of the time. There's no Turner Classic Movies or similar station here, alas - though it must be said that I have been able to see many vintage Hollywood films on NHK, and in HD as well...however, there is a tendency to repeat the same 200 or so movies over and over again.

While I've never seen more than a few minutes of Key Hunter (love that title sequence!), understandably the situation is much, much better for classic Japanese television, and being a fan, you'd likely be in hog heaven, depending on the day and time (and channel), as many of the shows you mention are indeed run off and on. I haven't seen UltraQ shown here (although it likely has been), but '70s and '80s-era Ultraman is shown often enough, usually in the late afternoon kiddie slot. There's a "Samurai" chambara channel here that runs all sorts of '70s and '80s swordplay TV shows, and many of these also run during the day on over-the-air network stations, too (my wife's dad frequently catches these around lunchtime or late afternoon). I've caught the Lone Wolf & Cub and Zatoichi TV shows on cable TV at times, too. Classic anime is all over the place, and I've seen my share of Lupin the Third movies on Sunday nights over the years. Of course, all of these home-grown delights are in Japanese only, not an English subtitle or dub to be found.

Scott511, Darby67, Mysto and 2 others like this.
  2. Message #2942 of 3097 Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Yesterday, I watched again the cult pilot for The Wild Wild West entitled "The Night of the Inferno":
    what a masterpiece!
    I am never tired of watching this experimental installment. It's a one of a kind pilot in which you find
    original and never used again actor, prop, costume, artwork et al.
    The guest cast is perfect: Victor Buono, Nehemiah Persoff, Suzanne Pleshette, James Gregory.

Funny the same year, another cult pilot was shown to the brass but was not taken:
    Dark Intruder, starring Leslie Nielsen.

Find the imdb plot
    The story takes place in 1890 San Francisco, where a series of gruesome murders attracts the attention of Brett Kingsford (Leslie Nielsen), a playboy detective with a secret crime lab, a library of occult tomes, and an invaluable dwarf assistant (Charles Bolender). His friend, Robert (Mark Richman), soon to be married to Evelyn (Judi Meredith), keeps having trance-outs at the oddest times, and looks to be a likely suspect - especially since he knows the victims. However, the killer growls like a beast and kills with a set of murderous bestial claws, two attributes which Robert lacks

3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Riptide, "Smiles We Left Behind" (third-season episode, OAD Tues. Feb. 25, 1986 on NBC; Disc 4 of third and final go); this was another one that I saw out of order of the run, and the reason for this one being seen out of order is because it was an expanded 2-hr. one (95 min. on DVD). I wanted to get this one out of the way (it's the only other expanded one, outside of the Jan. 3, 1984 pilot), so all I would have left is regular-length episodes, and a little while ago, I just did.

Scott511 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. Message #2944 of 3097 Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    OK... this isn't exactly "classic TV"... yet... but I'd bet on it achieving that status in a few years. First some history...

Martin Clunes is an actor I first saw in Jeeves and Wooster (1991), a very fun, although short, series. Then again in the British original Men Behaving Badly (1992) - the series that made me a fan of his work. I later picked up a copy of Demob (1993) based on his presence - another good one. Finally Reggie Perrin (2009) which I've yet to watch. And I hear good things about Doc Martin (2004) so when opportunity presented itself to pick up several series of that one very inexpensively I went for it. I watched S1 over the past two days.

Doc Martin is shaping up to be a quite humorous look at a rural doctor who's very straight forward and somewhat lacking in the "bedside manner" department. He's also quite brilliant, often making accurate diagnosis with only a brief look at a patient or even their file (wish I could find one this good but I doubt they truly exist in real life). He's actually a quite accomplished surgeon who suddenly discovered he could not longer do surgery with an early explanation being the sight and smell of blood can send him to the loo retching. This makes for a very good episode late in series 1. Because of his inability to do surgery he's relegated to life of a rural GP in a quite lovely town (there are many scenes showing off the scenery in this small port village).

The supporting cast includes Ian McNeice (Chef!, the two mini-series based on Frank Herbert's "Dune," and Rome - there's more but that's where I know him from) as the local plumber, and Stephanie Cole (!) (Waiting for God, Coronation Street, Open all Hours, and many more) as his aunt (and boy, does she have a back story!).

There's somewhat of a love interest that he, in his inimitable way, is pretty much torpedoing as it builds and the requisite ditzy secretary who's truly running the office while carrying on her own somewhat odd relationships between patients. Add the typically British village full of unique and somewhat idiosyncratic townsfolk and you have a very fun series.

It's also in the drama and romance genres - something that, for me, can be a bit off turning. Not this time as the drama and romance bits are well tempered with comedy making things much less maudlin than they could have been.

I just ordered the two telefilms that launched, or rather provided the inspiration and start for, the series and am quite curious to see how they differ from the series as his arrival in town is documented in episode 1 so the movies must take place before that period in his life. The trivia at IMDB says the back story is significantly changed for the series.

For fans of British TV I highly recommend this one.

Purple Wig, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Glad you're enjoying Doc Martin, Howie! What you read on IMDB is right - the two telefilms are quite different from the subsequent series. They're filmed in the same stunning location but with a different leading lady (the even more attractive Neve Mcintosh this time) and a very different character for Martin. They're good in their own right, however, so I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

Martin Clunes' two leading ladies in Doc Martin, Neve Mcintosh and Catherine Catz. Lucky dog. (BTW, Catherine Catz headlines a fun, light-hearted detective drama called Murder in Suburbia, the complete series set (of 12 episodes) of which can be had for a song.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #2946 of 3097 Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    The Rifleman
    "Boomerang" (S1E39)--1959

Old man Sam Elder (Dabs Greer in a short-lived role) is a victim of the 1870's economy. He's lost his job on the transmission line at the local North Fork GM plant, and his sideline as a farmer ain't working so well, either. It doesn't help that he spends his days in the saloon sucking down cheap whiskey and gorging on cheese doodles. The bank forecloses on him. Exasperated, and a bit gassy, Sam drops dead in the street outside the bank in front of his 18 year old son, Tim (Lee Kinsolving). Townspeople gather round with a collective "tsk tsk" before moving on to other business more interesting.
    Lucas examines the body and explains to the grieving son, "Well, he's dead, boy." Tim blames the bank manager John Hamilton (Harlan Warde), who's more concerned over the fact that he'll never collect on Sam's mortgage now that he's worm food.

Luke, being the good Samaritan he is, gives Tim a job on the ranch shoveling cow pies, busting up kindling and washing the breakfast dishes--you know, executive work. Tim works hard but has a festering undercurrent that harbors a sinister intent of revenge. Understanding there's little chance of him actually owning the bank and being able to fire the manager in retribution, in a moment of clarity he decides to shoot the guy dead instead. But young Tim has never shot a gun before. Doesn't even know how to cock one. So who best to teach him how to put 15 fast slugs into a person than an unsuspecting Lucas?

upload_2019-10-14_9-44-52. upload_2019-10-14_9-45-24. upload_2019-10-14_9-47-25.
    I told you NEVER call me "Lukey"; Luke teaches Tim how to pick off low flying aircraft; Lucas upset about his bond yields

Tim learns quickly how to shoot and is soon able to blast all the Heinz bean can targets off the fence railing. So now thinks he's good enough to either win the $5 prize at the local turkey shoot, or kill the bank manager. He chooses the latter. Luke gets suspicious of the boy's intentions and speaks sternly to Tim, who pays not a whit of attention to Luke's prattling. Tim faces off against John Hamilton all puffed up with courage, then turns into silly wuss when he sees that Hamilton is even better with a gun than Lucas McCain.

Moral: Sometimes rethinking a situation can show a certain sign of maturity. And a longer life.

Notes:
    Never heard of Lee Kinsolving? He was in a few '50s-60's series before plopping over dead from a respiratory illness at age 36. He was married to model Lillian Crawford before his death. She obviously took his breath away.

upload_2019-10-14_9-58-10.
    Lillian relaxing in her modest back yard

7. Message #2947 of 3097 Oct 14, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Remember Her?
    Classic TV Guest Stars Tidbits

Leslie Parrish got her start literally within TV. She was hired by NBC to be the essential model for the engineers to experiment with tones and hues for the new concept of color television. Sat for hours at a time while they futzed with skin colors. The money she earned for this was mostly spent on steaks--doctor's orders to avoid an anemic tendency. As you can see from the pics, the steaks worked well.

upload_2019-10-14_10-15-8. upload_2019-10-14_10-15-35. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Leslie's big break came in 1959 when she starred as voluptuous Daisy Mae in the film version of Li'l Abner. She would later guest star in My Three Sons, Surfside 6, Wild Wild West, Mannix, Big Valley and many other series. Eventually she married Richard Bach (author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull) who he described as his "ultimate soulmate" but unceremoniously divorced her anyway.
    She became quite a political activist and is still with us at age 84.

8. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I absolutely adore the Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie and the great Stephen Fry. The chemistry between the two were akin to Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis or Burns and Allen. Some of the funniest and sophisticated premises I've ever witnessed on TV.

upload_2019-10-14_10-49-35. [​IMG]

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  9. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

I remembered her in John Frankenheimer’s The Manchurian Candidate and, of course, on The Wild Wild West:
    “The Night The Wizard Shook the Earth” (season 1) (the first episode featuring the arch-nemesis Dr. Loveless)
    “The Night of the Flying Pie Plate” (season 2)

She also guests in on three episodes of Mannix:
    “The Girl in the Frame” (season 1)
    “The Playground” (season 3) (with Wild Wild West actor Robert Conrad)
    “The Other Game in Town” (season 4)

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    She's the reason I liked that 1959 version of Li'l Abner - or at least kept me interested (it's a very stagy movie - something I'm not particularly fond of):
    [​IMG]

And she showed up in other 60s favorite TV shows of mine:

Batman:
    [​IMG]

Star Trek
    (Thank you Bill Theiss!):
    [​IMG]

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (with Jack Lord no less):
    [​IMG]

That great cheese fest SF "B" movie Missile to the Moon (1958):
    [​IMG]

11. Message #2951 of 3097 Oct 14, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I discovered Jeeves and Wooster about 10 years ago and loved it from the first episode. Quite witty with marvelous chemistry between Fry and Laurie. And the period music just adds to the cachet of the show. I truly don't remember if I picked up their series, A Bit of Fry & Laurie on the basis of Jeeves and Wooster or if it was the other way 'round. In any event, I love both series and try to rewatch them every couple of years.

I'd seen both in the Blackadder series (another brilliant one) but don't think that was any influence on picking up either of the two. It's been quite a while on that one but I don't recall them having the interaction they do in A Bit of... and Jeeves...

They work so well together I'm surprised there've not been more pairings.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Message #2952 of 3097 Oct 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yep, those steaks did the trick, all right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She appears in The Lieutenant as well. I think we all can guess what Gary Lockwood is thinking...

[​IMG]

Mysto, BobO'Link, Flashgear and 4 others like this.
  13. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Life has slowed down a little bit, at least for now. Mom's heart cath came out good-no blockage. I got an actual plumber out who is licensed and honest (no jack of all trades guy) to fix the gush underneath the house. I got a quote from him to replace all of my drain lines-something within my price range, thankfully. He said my water lines were in great shape, and to not be in any hurry to replace those; not bad for a 50 year old house! So what have I been watching? Well...

I'm in a Christmas mood already. I caught a tree at Goodwill yesterday for $4.84 that needs a little TLC, but is not bad. I intended to unplug it, but I'm enjoying it! So, Friday night I watched a Christmas movie reunion of Father Knows Best. One of our posters mentioned it a bit back, so I decided to watch it. It was taped on VHS from some cable station I don't recognize, but the quality isn't too awful. If you like the old stuff, you'll love it. They actually go back and show quite a few scenes from the original series, something that surprised me considering it was black and white and the movie was color.

Saturday night was a rewatching of a movie I discovered last year, a Waltons Christmas movie, The Homecoming: A Christmas Story. It's a little bit different in the fact there is no Will Geer, Ralph Waite, or Michael Learned. I find it a bit dry because of that fact. I suppose had the series went with the movie cast that it wouldn't be so jarring.

Yesterday was busy, so I didn't get a whole lot of watching in. I caught a cute little Christmas cartoon, Santa and The Three Bears, which starred Hal Smith as himself and voicing a cartoon character. According to comments on Facebook others are quite familiar with it, but this was a first for me. I'm looking forward to what else I'll discover in the coming weeks!

Scott511, Mysto, BobO'Link and 3 others like this.
  14. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your mom, Ron!

Am not at all ready for the Christmas season yet, myself...right in the midst of Halloween-y viewing time. But I do have some fun stuff lined up for my Xmas watchlist by the time December rolls around.

15. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    And now, for something completely different, it's …

Catwoman - Lee Meriwether Interview

16. Message #2956 of 3097 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Then and now - still lookin' good:

[​IMG]

And still my favorite Catwoman!

With all the different people in the roles I still consider this group to be iconic and the ones to beat:
    [​IMG]

17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Looking for those photos above I stumbled across this superb image of the Time Tunnel set:
    [​IMG]

18. Message #2958 of 3097 Oct 16, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Remember Her?
    Classic TV Guest Stars Tidbits

Lee Meriwether was a regular character on three series:
    The Time Tunnel as Dr. Ann MacGregor
    Mission: Impossible as agent Tracey during season 4
    Barnaby Jones as Betty Jones

She also appears on two other Desilu series (Star Trek and Mannix).

joe3.
    joe1.
    joe2.

19. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    Starting on Oct. 1st I stopped my Simon & Simon binge at the end of season 4, so I could get into the Halloween spirit. First up was watching all 3 seasons of Forever Knight, and I finished that up yesterday. I'm on Kolchak now, and hope I can squeeze in Werewolf, and then both seasons of The Munsters before the 31st.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Message #2960 of 3097 Oct 16, 2019
    Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Lee Meriwether can do no wrong (even when engaged in wrong-doing).

(go to the 4:00 minute mark for the last one)

JohnHopper, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.