1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I wonder which company will release it: Network or Studio Canal?
    After watching The New Avengers back then, we went to Great Britain in 1979 where we bought blue British military sweaters.
    The season 1 episodes were fabulous and violent and even gruesome: remember "The Eagle's Nest", "The Midas Touch", "Sleeper".

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Joanna Yumley... er.... Lumley... another crusherific babe. I've watched series just because she's in it.

Drink! Feck! Arse!

I discovered Father Ted when looking for some new Britcoms to add to my collection. It was a blind buy - and an excellent one! I need to rewatch it. O'Hanlon as Father Dougal is a hoot!
    I purchased it on the strength of Ardahl O'Hanlon who I'd recently seen in My Hero - another classic that sadly was never finished in either R1 or R2 (only 2 series released in R1 and 3 in R2).

Purple Wig, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I FINALLY finished editing and archiving the old Opry shows-when I transferred a backup to my external HD, it said I was transferring 1155 files. Some of that would be album art and folders (each show got it's own unique folder and album art), but that's quite a haul!

I started with S5 myself and have been working my way backwards. I finished up disc 5 of S2 this morning. I believe I'm missing a disc, so it looks like I'll be ordering a new set. My middle and oldest son love the show, so I'll probably give them the set with the missing disc.

So here's my thoughts as I watch through it again. The two best seasons, for me anyway, are 3 and 4. S1 has some absolutely wonderful episodes, but they were still trying to get a feel for the series. S2 is just as wonderful, but it doesn't quite rank up there for me. S3 is when Jethro really gets his heart set on being a double naught spy and the long litany of career choices start becoming comedic fodder. It's also in S3 that we really start to see the gargantuan appetite! I just absolutely love this quote so much that I put it on my Facebook page:

I hope we're doing the right thing sending Jethro into the service. It's like giving the United States government another country to feed! ~ Granny

I hope we see a S6 release on DVD soon, although they seem to be going a couple of years between releases. I would venture to say they are working on "future-proofing" the show by doing new HD masters, so I'd guess it's a halfway safe bet that they'll eventually finish up the series. I guess I'd even be happy if they offered them streaming.

I'm debating which series to start back with next. I'll be done with The Beverly Hillbillies by next week, so I'm debating between The Phil Silvers Show and Hogan's Heroes.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    As a kid i had a "huge" bowl I called my "Jethro bowl." It only held ~1/4 of what that bowl he uses would hold - if that much (it would hold 2 16 oz cans of chili with an inch or two "head room")! That bowl full of cereal was breakfast on a typical Saturday morning.

I've already watched my Hogan's Heroes set but still have The Phil Silvers Show in the wings. I might put that one in a slot as I don't have any half-hour shows in progress at the moment and I've had the set too long for it to still be unopened.

I started S3 of The Rockford Files last night and watched the Star Trek premiere episode "The Man Trap" in honor of its 53rd anniversary. I even watched it at the time it originally aired (and with original visuals and audio - it's rare I watch with the updated visuals and *never* use the 5.1 audio mix as it's horrid).

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    You're singing my song, Russ! Where's Mr. Roarke when you need him? ;)

6. Message #2686 of 2983 Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    McHale's Navy
    "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad War" (S3E3)--1964

My dad, a WWII Navy vet, thought this show was the absolute berries. However, on some of the show's goofier Navy tactics, Dad would murmur "I sure don't remember it being like that..." I never bothered reminding him that nothing on 'McHale's Navy' resembled the service in any way. Sort of like the merry prison camp in Hogan's Heroes.

I never got much into the series myself due mainly to its unending Jerry Lewis-like manics. Somebody had to feel embarrassed for these hapless characters, and it was usually the viewer. So why am I doing a commentary on this? I'd like to think I'm a man of equal opportunity sarcasm. Nothing escapes my gimlet eye's viewpoint.

So this episode's particular premise has the crew of the PT 73 assigned to pick up and deliver the base's payroll. Oh gee, what could go wrong here? The entire crew doesn't have the collective sense to know if rain falls up or down, and constitutes the fact that hearty attitudes so often substitute for actual ability. Particularly inept Ensign Parker (Tim Conway) is robbed of the payroll, which gives rise to Capt. Binghamton's (Joe Flynn) desire that he can shitcan the entire bunch. Throw them into the brig...which, in New Caledonia, is probably the storeroom of the local Long John Silver's. Binghamton is hoping to achieve the rank of Rear Admiral, and is about as likely as finding me on a tandem bike with a completely naked Jennifer Love Hewitt's arms wrapped around me.*

upload_2019-9-10_14-18-38. upload_2019-9-10_14-19-17. [​IMG]
    Parker loses some cash in a crowd; There's no end to plotting McHale's demise; Sure was tough during the war...

I guess we should be impressed with Tim Conway's physical humor, but it would have been nice had it been coupled with an intellect a bit deeper than mayonnaise. The crew sets about looking for a comely French lass with a heart-shaped birthmark on her leg--as she's the last one Parker saw before the cash went missing. This gives the boys ample excuse to look up the skirts of every good-looking female in town. As an added bonus, New Caledonia women rarely sport any underwear. Or so I hear.

As with all McHale's predicaments, all ends well for him and not so much for the Captain. Poor ol' Pewterbutt...er...Leadbottom Binghamton.

Notes:
    New Caledonia looks strangely like the studio's Wyatt Earp set.

I'm half convinced that Carl Ballantine (Gruber) actually used to be Huntz Hall from Bowery Boys:

upload_2019-9-10_14-26-52. upload_2019-9-10_14-27-21. upload_2019-9-10_14-34-10.
    Carl Ballantine, Huntz Hall, Jeanne Rainer

The French gal is played by Jeanne Rainer, whose acting credits can pretty much be counted on the thumbs of a parakeet. But she was a looker, by golly.

*Hey--I have some fantasies, so what...?!

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Message #2687 of 2983 Sep 10, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Howie...I remember Joanna Lumley more from her role as Patsy Stone in Absolutely Fabulous. I thought even then that she was pretty close to her sell by date, but still looking tasty enough in her package on the shelf.

upload_2019-9-10_14-42-6.

It's a funny happenstance that the older I get, older women don't look half bad to me.
    What's up with that?

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That was the first time I saw Lumley on screen as well. There are many times in that series where I thought she looks "rode hard and put up wet" (which, IMHO, is what they were going for). It was later when I saw stuff she was in when she was younger that I sat up and took notice.

And... I get that older woman bit... When I was a kid I didn't understand why anyone would be attracted to Barbara Bain (just one example - I saw her in Mission Impossible and then in Space 1999) - I just didn't get the attraction factor. As I got older she started looking better. Who knows? One of those mysteries of life...

9. Message #2689 of 2983 Sep 10, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Took green flag on Riptide on its maiden voyage (OAD Tues. Jan. 3, 1984 on NBC; 2-hr. pilot)...

nascargreenflag.

Titles on this maiden voyage are over the first scenes of the show. First, the Riptide title...

riptidepilottitle.

...then the title credits for all the main players (King, Penny, Bray and Francis), all over the shot of the Tradewind sailing...

riptidepilotkingtitlecredit.
    riptidepilotpennytitlecredit.
    riptidepilotbraytitlecredit.
    riptidepilotfrancistitlecredit.

Next, the 10-second bomb timer that will set up the main storyline of the pilot...
    riptidepilot10secondbombtimer.

Then, the impetus for the rest of the pilot...
    riptidepilottradewindexplosion.

Next, a few creative credits (including one man you may remember from O-R NBC 60s Star Trek)...
    riptidepilotpostcarpentermusic.
    riptidepiloteditedbycredit.
    riptidepilotjeffriesartdirector.

Then, a business card with the original name of the detective agency in the pilot, before it became the Riptide Detective Agency (phone number is not entirely visible, though)...
    riptidepilotpier56card.

Finally, the 1983 Stephen J. Cannell copyright from this pilot...
    riptidepilot1983cannellcopyright.

(All screenshots taken from Riptide pilot, Disc 1 of first season's worth in VEI all-in-one)

Special bonus: NBC promo for this maiden voyage of Riptide, at 9 that Tuesday, after second-season A-Team episode "In Plane Sight"...

Scott511, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I am working through the “I Love Lucy” in colour set. They have just about all the most famous episodes here. What struck me was how I absolutely remember every detail of these as I watched each one, although it is decades since I last saw them. I was also struck by the fact that after a few minutes, you totally don’t notice whether it is in colour or not.

11. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Find a promotional shot from the old DVD edition, released by Studio Canal.

newavengers_dvd1.

12. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    Love Riptide!

I recorded most of the run off of NBC, missed a few here and there due to local station pre-emptions.

I bought the German DVD a couple of years ago, worth it to me as it's uncut and no music changes.

Jeff Flugel, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Glad you've been enjoying it! Of course, this is my first time seeing Riptide, and as such, I am unfamiliar with the music that was in the original NBC run (especially being as it was changed in VEI's releases for that second-season outing "Be True To Your School").

BTW, the back half of the 2-hr. maiden voyage ran against the fifth-and-final-season Hart to Hart outing "Harts on the Run" which was on ABC that night at 10...

hartsontherun.
    (Description captured from inside episode guide of fifth-and-final-season Hart to Hart release from Shout!)

Flashgear and Scott511 like this.
  14. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    The Andy Griffith Show
    "Opie and the Spoiled Kid" (S3E21)--1963

I've got a bunch of stuff that I've DVR'd for future commentaries (Father Knows Best, McMillan & Wife, Hazel, Rifleman, Wagon Train, Have Gun...) to which I'll eventually get around. But when it's time to settle back and watch something akin to a warm bubble bath, I'll always choose Andy Griffith.

Hard to believe, but in the sleepy town of Mayberry lurks a brat. Yes, spoiled kid Arnold Winkler (Ronnie Dapo) who recklessly rides a $70 Intercontinental Flyer bicycle with real chrome trim. He pooh-poohs his friend Opie's list of chores and the mere quarter he earns doing them. None of that for Arnold--he gets his fat allowance chore-free. This plants doubt in Opie's red-haired head, so he approaches Andy with a demand of an allowance raise. Andy tells his son to basically go pound sand. Deputy Fife (Don Knotts) steps in and recommends a good swatting, based on his extensive research from the magazine section of the Sunday paper.

upload_2019-9-11_8-55-52. upload_2019-9-11_8-56-35. upload_2019-9-11_8-56-52.
    Arnold counsels Opie on brattiness: Opie negotiates an allowance raise; Barney executes some high-end law enforcement

Opie returns to his chores, much to Arnold's disgust. "Hey, I lived in Raleigh--I've been around!" he boasts. Arnold recommends fake crying to get one's way with parents. Works for him, should work for Opie. In the meantime, Andy confiscates Arnold's precious bike for illegally riding on the sidewalk. Arnold sasses Andy and Barney and threatens to tell his dad.

Opie tries this snotty approach with Andy to get out of his chores, which works about as well as a square wheel. As promised, Arnold's dad shows up at the courthouse to confront the sheriff. He huffs and puffs but cannot blow the house down--and quickly sees how bratty his son actually is, taking him home presumably to beat the tar out of him. Opie learns a lesson--his dad is the sheriff, so don't mess around with him.

A cute little episode that can remind us older guys how we were dealt with as kids when getting sideways with parents.

Notes:
    Ronnie Dapo appeared as Arnold Winkler three times on The Andy Griffith Show, and as the proverbial neighborhood kid in several series of the era. If you were to bump into Ronnie today, here's what he looks like:

upload_2019-9-11_9-2-36.
    Makes one think there's still a bit of brat in the guy...

15. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    I think the 3 most changed were Be True To Your School, It's a Vial Sort of Business, and Boz Busters for the stateside release.

There could be a change in the 3rd seasons Smiles We Left Behind, there's a Huey Lewis tune in that episode. I can't remember if it's in the VEI release or not.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  16. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    To grant you fellows your wish, he'd probably have to take a break from fighting the devil. (That's an episode that stuck with me).

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  17. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Creepy Coincidences Dept.

So, I was watching the first couple of episodes of the classic, outstanding science-documentary series, Connections (1978, BBC), on DVD the other night. I've seen the series before (and the follow-ups, Connections 2 and Connections 3), but not for many years; not since it was re-run on The Learning Channel, back in the late 1980s/early-1990s (I missed its original U.S. debut on PBS in 1979)...

For the uninitiated, the series, hosted by the engaging James Burke, is about the disparate discoveries and events across history and the globe that led to the technology that makes up our modern world. Sort of a six-degrees-of-separation/butterfly effect explanation of invention... basically, "--if not for this, this and this, back then, we wouldn't have that, now". Though not flashy by today's standards, it still is rather engrossing viewing, both entertaining and informative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the beginning of the first episode, "The Trigger Effect", Burke begins by illustrating how surrounded by, and (inevitably) dependent on, technology that most of us don't (or couldn't be expected to) understand the specifics of, yet take completely for granted. To do this, he takes a catastrophic real-life event that affected millions of people, including everyone in New York City, due to a piece of technology. This is presented as an unfolding mystery, with several NYC residents (a mother giving birth to twins in a hospital, several commuters in a subway car, professional translators at the United Nations, an airline pilot) re-enacting their experiences during this event. As such, this portion of the episode has an aura of dread to it...

[​IMG]

And the very first thing we see is our host, strolling across the plaza of the World Trade Center, at night. He enters, and steps into an elevator.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And goes up to the roof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He talks about the fast pace of life driven by technology in a large city, then goes into the mysterious event, and the eyewitnesses involved, with a countdown to its manifestation. It turns out to be the big Northeast power blackout of 1965. The World Trade Center, of course, had essentially nothing to do with that, just used here as a recognizable urban location used for dramatic effect, however... when he gets to the bit about the airline pilot's part in the blackout, we find out that the plane (one of many attempting to land in NYC that night, this one chosen at random) that he is flying is... Swedish Airlines Flight 911 (!), basically operating blind (since the airstrip lights are out, and no radio communication possible with the tower), and hurtling past the airport and headed straight toward Manhattan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--Fortunately, the flight was ultimately able to communicate by radio with other planes on the ground, and thus land safely. Still, the juxtaposition of the Twin Towers, an airliner off-course toward Manhattan, the number 911, and a sense of impending doom, 23 years before a day that will live in infamy, is a very eerie and unsettling experience when watched today. What are the odds of this happening? We seem to have inadvertently veered into an episode of One Step Beyond!

After that, Burke asks us a chain of survival questions, presuming that we're city dwellers, revolving around what we would do if catastrophe struck and our technological safety net broke down, since remaining in the city is no option (riots, arson, certain starvation)... Where would you go? Would you know where? Would you know how to get there? Enough fuel, food and water for such a trip? Could you make it through thousands or millions of others who have the same idea? How would you know you were far enough away? Would you have all you need? If you did, what about others who want what you have? And so on. He says this while walking through a highway full of abandoned cars, an apocalyptic scene that resembles an episode of The Walking Dead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily, two-thirds of the way through the episode, the apocalyptic gloom lifts (after questioning whether we'd even survive if we had the sense to find an unoccupied farm, and an old-fashioned, horse-drawn plow, with the know-how of how to use it, and a knowledge of appropriate crops and planting), and he takes us back several thousand years to the invention of the plow, why it was specifically invented, and how that and related factors led to hunter-gatherers becoming early farmers in the naturally-fertile Nile river valley of Egypt, which resulted in the rudiments of what would become civilization (the calendar, animal domestication, stone masonry, engineering, written language, government). Fantastic stuff.

Mysto, ChrisALM, Jeff Flugel and 2 others like this.
  18. Message #2698 of 2983 Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Fascinating post, Peter! I haven't seen Connections in many years. In retrospect, those ironic and random "connections" of another kind and subsequent tragic events in history do make for a somber reflection, especially on the anniversary of 9/11...

I'm pretty sure you guys have the same response when you see the World Trade Towers in all their glory while viewing old TV shows and movies...for me, a melancholy ache in my soul for that terrible day 18 years ago...Never, ever forget...God rest their souls...

The towers under construction in the summer of 1971...as seen in McCloud season two, Somebody's out to get Jenny (Nov. 24, 1971)...Dennis Weaver and Julie Sommars walking in lower Manhattan's Battery Park...
    McCloud 2.JPG
    McCloud 3.JPG
    McCloud 4.JPG

On a lighter note...about the epic 1965 East coast blackout...I'd sure like to see the 1968 comedy film, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (Doris Day, Robert Morse, Terry Thomas, Steve Allen, Jim Backus, Pat Paulsen (for president), Ben Blue) be released in a quality Blu-ray...all about the comedic chaos in NYC's big blackout...the one where people actually behaved themselves in a civilized manner...12 years later in another huge blackout, with the radical decay of social norms and expected behavior, there was large scale rioting, looting, arson, murders, assaults and vandalism...it was that 1977 blackout and the hell brought forth by NYC's Trogs and Morlocks that probably influenced James Burke's apocalyptic overview in that Connections episode...thank you for this wonderful post and screen caps Peter!

19. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yes, fascinating post and info on Connections, Peter! I've seen a few episodes of that program years ago (most likely on my local PBS affiliate) and remember enjoying James Burke's quirky, intelligent yet approachable hosting style. Thanks for the reminder that I need to pick this series up on DVD at some point (though I'll be picking up the Region 2 version, as it's about a third of the price of the U.S. set!)

Thanks also to Randall for his post and most welcome McCloud screencaps. While the sight of the Twin Towers in older TV shows and movies can sometimes be jarring, as a sort of specter of the awful events to come, it is still nice to see a few shots of NYC in happier, or at least less jaded, pre-9/11 times. It doesn't hurt to see Julie Sommars in a bright yellow sun dress, either!

Peter M Fitzgerald and Flashgear like this.
  20. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    IMHO the original Connections is one of the best documentaries ever made. Burke took what could be a very dull subject - with lots of content - and made it into a highly entertaining and engaging series. Now series 2 and 3 were OK but I felt in those he was "phoning it in" to cash in on the success of the first one.

I have watched the original at least 5 or six times and I'm sure now that we are talking about it, I will watch it again.