1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I was an adult working in local TV before I came to appreciate Bonanza. Growing up it came on at a "bad" time - I was either too young (early years), or mostly watched other stuff because we didn't get home from church until half way through. Who wanted to watch the last half of an hour western? Not me - at least if there was a half hour show or variety show opposite (which happened more often than not). At that TV station we ran Bonanza every afternoon. By the time it aired, production had slowed or stopped (I did commercial production and directed newscasts) and we were transitioning production for the 6pm news. I saw lots of episodes those years and really enjoyed them - far more than I'd expected. The outdoors sets always bothered me a bit but I could look past them (after all, they *are* well done for sets).

I've still not watched that S1 set of Father Knows Best. I've mentioned before that, as a kid, I had issues with (i.e. didn't like) the moral talk dad gave one or both kids at the end. I watched it regularly and really enjoyed the "meat" of the show but felt it frequently bordered on maudlin (though I didn't know that term at the time) during that ending talk. I saw it again as a young adult (twenties) and felt the same. I'm curious to see if my opinion changes.

Donna Reed was always a "babe" yet came off as a "regular mom" or the "down home" girl in everything she did. I *really* wish whoever holds the rights to her show would let go and get it unstalled. I want to see it all again - even the "Trish" years.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The trick is to disconnect your TV from cable/satellite/etc. and just watch discs (or streaming if that's your thing). Forget that other stuff exists (or become very selective). When my set was connected to cable I'd turn it on, put it on A&E/History/Discovery/FoodTV/PBS and just let it play saving discs for 9pm or later. Now I put in a disc when I get home and will often watch a classic show while doing other light tasks. As long as I'm not reading stuff I can keep up with the show - but if I do wind up reading a web page or getting distracted I just back up the episode and try again. I've taken 3 hours to watch a half hour episode that way but I don't miss anything unless I want to. :)

3. Montytc

Montytc Second Unit

Tim Montavon
    Highway Patrol is a favorite of mine Russ. Those half hour dramas are great. Catch whoever needs caught, kill anybody who needs killed and move on no time wasted. Also, Broderick Crawford is great in his part.

4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That's a good point! I'd do much the same, except that the internal DVD player on the TV in my father's bedroom is not conducive to numerical search; if I see it on the PS3 attached to the 55" Vizio my brother gave me, I can not only search numerically, but also have the PS3 come back to where I left off when I turned it off.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  5. Message #2605 of 2945 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Jeff, I'm old enough (I'm as old as the dirt on the Ponderosa) to remember watching these first run in the fall of 1963, especially Hoss and the Leprechauns, which was a hugely popular comedic episode that we all loved and remains one of the most fondly remembered episodes in the whole series, which of course was a ratings powerhouse in the '60s. The earlier episode you reviewed, the Twilight Zone flavored ghost story Twilight Town, which was aired just before halloween of 1963, is another one that sticked in my memory. Just as you said, it looks stunning on the CBS DVD...the spectacular desert vistas of Lake Los Angeles and the Antelope Valley, wow! And it's a rather good ghost story.

Thank you Howie for your detailed reviews of Girl From UNCLE, and likely deterring any impulse I might have had to buy the WAC set, despite our widely held appreciation of the lovely and talented Stephanie Powers...I know I have a low pain threshold for ridiculous and excruciating camp, I only have the first two seasons of Man From UNCLE in my collection, and I don't have Batman at all, no offense to fans of those shows...why they would cloister a lady as lovely as Stephanie Powers is beyond me...I prefer her thusly: I took these screen caps from McCloud season two...
    Stephanie 1.JPG
    Stephanie 3.JPG
    Stephanie 2.JPG
    Stephanie 6.JPG
    Stephanie 7.JPG
    Stephanie 12.JPG
    Stephanie 13.JPG

Speaking of Hart to Hart, for those who might not know, Stephanie Powers teamed with Robert Wagner in a season three It Takes a Thief in early 1970...

It's been a mystery to me as to why VEI hasn't (can't?) release a complete series set of McCloud in R1, when they have released other Universal Mystery Movie series like McMillan and Wife and Snoop Sisters...there must be more to the story that is unknown to us pertaining to rights issues I suspect...I have the Universal S1/2 set with the re-edited episodes for S1, and a couple of the Madman R4 sets as well, but not the complete series, which I would dearly love to have in R1 remastered and as first aired.
    Stephanie 16.JPG
    Stephanie 17.JPG

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Well... I own the full series of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as much as anything because I just couldn't wait for "wide release," broke down, and ordered the briefcase complete series directly from Time-Life (did the same with Get Smart and the ridiculously painful-to-open phone booth packaging). Had it not been for that I'd likely have stopped with S2 (I *do* remember not much caring for it in S3, which I watched sporadically, and don't recall watching S4 at all during the original airings).

However - I own both DVD and BR copies of Batman. I absolutely love that series, even the 3rd season (which admittedly isn't quite as good). I also loved it as a kid so that, I'm sure, plays into the current attraction.

The "camp" tone is one of those things that, IMHO, worked, and worked quite well, for Batman but not for any other show that attempted to mimic its style.

Montytc, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Whose bad idea was that, I wonder?

Well, with that one sliver of possible redeeming value in The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. removed, I can safely avoid picking up either of the two volumes. Once again, Howie, you've provided a valuable service.

In 100% agreement with all of the above, Randall (and thanks muchly for the screencaps of the luscious Ms. Powers!)

8. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the comments, Randall! I know Bonanza is rather infamous for its over-reliance on studio sets. I also like to see lots of exterior filming in westerns. That's why I prefer these early Bonanza seasons, which feature a lot more location filming than was the norm in later years of the show. The desert exteriors in "Twilight Town" add an important eerie quality to that fine episode.

9. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Batman is about the only series where I can tolerate the campiness, in large part because of the knowing, dry delivery from Adam West. I must admit, though, that a little of that show goes a long way for me. I can only watch a few episodes at a time, every several months. I only have the first season in my collection, and that's likely enough to satisfy me for the foreseeable future.

Montytc and Flashgear like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Could have been NBC's Broadcast Standards department of the time; they were much the same on O-R 60s NBC Trek.

Flashgear likes this.
  11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    According to Wikipedia:
    I'd have to watch a few again but truly don't recall anything being "avant-garde" or looking "hip and modern." Maybe that's in the 2nd half of the season. The "bare-midriff harem-dancer outfit" was the most revealing thing she wore but was in a single episode and not that much of it. At least not enough to warrant purchase of the set. Maybe the one episode on streaming but... At this time on TV almost every younger woman/girl in many shows wore "hip/modern" clothing. It was part of the times and what execs thought would bring in the youth audience (they were mostly clueless - still are).

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Down to two outings before the quarter-mark on The Untouchables

13. Message #2613 of 2945 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Well, Ben, I take your point...but I think classic Trek is one of the rare shows which seemed to get a lot past the censors, judging by the cocktail napkin-sized miniskirts and often outrageously revealing William Theiss costumes prevalent on the show...including many that broke the "no belly button" rule:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Interesting, why the Broadcast Standards department at NBC oftentimes seemed to be more liberal w/Trek than w/The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., if I'm understanding you correctly.

Purple Wig, Rustifer and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I understand that the audiences for these channels skew older and I'm no spring chicken myself but every single commercial break is 4 of the same 5 commercials about disease.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    Point taken, but I recently saw "C.C. and Company" on the big screen here in Los Angeles, so it was fresh in mind, and perhaps I wanted to believe the still lovely Ann-Margret was waiting for him off camera to finish the testimonial. Or maybe I haven't given up hope on a "Waverly Wonders" reboot.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  17. Message #2617 of 2945 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Until I saw this I was clueless as to why you were referring to "Pantyhose Joe" as "CC Ryder." I've never seen the movie (the group I ran with pretty much ignored anything having to do with Namath) and only know "C.C. Rider" from the1965 Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels medley "Jenny Take a Ride!", where they incorporated "C.C. Rider," a classic 12 bar blues song, with Little Richard's "Jenny Jenny" for a Top 10 single, and the 1966 top 10 release from The Animals.

Purple Wig and Jeff Flugel like this.
  18. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Fun!

The Wild Wild West 5-O

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  19. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    C.C. and Company was co-produced by Ann-Margret's husband, Roger Smith (of 77 Sunset Strip fame). So if Joe Namath was waiting for her off camera, he was likely to get a rude poke in the nose from him.

However, it promotes the opportunity to post a pic of the two:

[​IMG]

20. Message #2620 of 2945 Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    The Lone Ranger
    "Decision For Chris McKeever" (S5E13)

You can't hear the William Tell Overture without thinking Hi-Ho, Silver! And then there he is--a man who's masked (for whatever reason) riding a white horse on incredibly sped-up opening credits. Both man and horse are decked out in Dior-type trappings that in the Old West would most likely incite questions of masculinity. Also, a constant Indian companion could set tongues wagging. Just sayin'.

The Lone Ranger walks out of the Sheriff's office and is playfully lassoed by Tonto. They have such fun together. Lone Ranger has been trolling for information on any outlaws that he can chase after. The Sheriff is currently short on outlaws. Do we ever wonder how LR gets paid? The dry-cleaning bills on his outfit alone must be staggering.
    Since there's no robbers to be chased, the pair ride off to find some on their own.

upload_2019-9-6_9-13-8. upload_2019-9-6_9-13-43. upload_2019-9-6_9-14-2.
    They're on the lookout for bad guys; Captured!; Tonto explains the complexities of quality fringed leather

Well by golly, they just happen to stumble upon a stage coach robbery. It's the notorious McKeever gang, robbing the stage of its gold shipment for the third time that month. You'd think the shipping company would have come up with a different strategy for their gold by now. But that would spoil the story. The chase is on.
    "Footprints fresh, kemo-sabi", muses Tonto. "They not far away." Tonto graduated 7th in his class at the Wan-Ton-Nee Academy. His teacher wrote "Tonto had the ability to do better, but too often got sidetracked by his fringe leather projects."

The McKeever Gang is found in no time, captured, and get hauled off the the jail--5 days' ride away. On the way, LR and Tonto are bored half silly by the thieves' tales of woe and misunderstanding. Oh boo hoo. Being distracted, Tonto falls into quicksand and is sinking like a bowling ball in a fish pond. He's rescued by the Lone Ranger and one soft-hearted member of the gang.
    "Son, it's good to see a man on the wrong path finally turn good," intones Lone Ranger.

Now it's the Gang's turn to be bored.