What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Got some good archive TV viewing done, in between binging episodes of Stranger Things 3 on Netflix.
Another chunk of good TV shows, Jeff! Thanks for reminding us of Connie Hines--every bit Whitney Blake-like in being misplaced as an incredibly hot wife married to a dufus husband. Wilbur spent a little too much time in the stable when he had Connie flitting around the house.

upload_2019-7-15_8-29-13.jpeg

"Wilbur? Are you still out in the stable--I'm ready for bed..."

I have my own stack lined up, but you guys have me flying off in 6 different directions to watch, re-watch or order some of the favorites recently mentioned here by all of you!
No better way to be in a quandary with what to do with your time, Randall! So much better than deciding between mowing the lawn or cleaning the gutters.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Quality cheesecake, indeed! I know I must have watched this show when it first aired in the late '70s, as I was already a fan of the 1959 Cary Grant/Tony Curtis original by then...but for the life of me, I can't remember a single thing about it. For example, Jack's mention of its second season overhaul draws a complete blank - but what an asinine thing to do to a show!

The second season came and went so fast (cancelled after just four episodes) that it's no wonder few people remember it, but what happened was that because the ratings were only considered so-so, ABC got the not-so bright idea to completely overhaul the show in which John Astin and almost everyone else were out and a whole new cast put in with the few exceptions being Melinda Naud, Jim Varney (as Seaman "Doom and Gloom" Broome, as far a contrast from his later Ernest character as you can get!), and the Yeoman Hunkle character. Randolph Mantooth, out of work with "Emergency!" cancelled got the Richard Gilliland role as the con-artist supply officer and Astin got replaced by Robert Hogan with Jo Ann Pflug now the head nurse (and these were different characters, not different actors in the old ones).

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I watched "Operation Petticoat" regularly when it was on and then bailed out when it had that mind-boggling overhaul for its very brief second season that jettisoned 95% of the cast. The idea that this would attract new viewers without giving regard to the fact it was driving away all the old viewers is just mind-boggling to me. Since obscure 70s titles have made it to DVD I keep thinking there is some hope for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if didn't. I do have a mid-1980s recording of the two hour pilot remake of the 1959 movie (which aired at 3 AM on WCBS and was retitled "Life In The Pink") and about a dozen episodes that aired on TV Land I think in the 2000s.

Melinda Naud was certainly a worthy successor to Joan O'Brien in the Lieutenant Crandall role.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Then I rounded out my week by watching the first two episodes of From The Earth To The Moon - Bluray (received my copy from Best Buy on Friday the 12th). 21 years old, that qualifies as classic??? Right???
Can We Do This?
Apollo One
Can't get much more classic than the source material. I'd call the series classic - and did when I first saw it on HBO in April/May 1998...

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
A couple of weeks ago I was able to finally catch one episode of the disastrous last season (not counting the season of reruns) of Hee Haw, renamed to The Hee Haw Show. You have a show already struggling because of the departure of Buck Owens a few years before, plus the exit of a huge swath of other main characters through death or whatever, so, hey, let's just alienate what viewers we have left by revamping the show to appeal to a young audience that wouldn't be caught dead watching the show. Instead of having a cornfield, there's a shopping mall. Somehow George "Goober" Lindsey managed to survive the cutting of the old cast members, but instead of having a country garage like Mayberry, he now has an upscale gas station sort of thing. What veteran cast members were left, with the exception of Roy Clark, seemed to be relegated to bit roles. The honky tonk was replaced with an upscale looking night club. Anything that smacked of the original show as gone. No donkey, no cornfield, no "pfft you were gone," no gossip girls. It's pretty evident why that was scrapped quickly and Hee Haw Silver took its place with classic reruns.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Patridge Family
"Helllp" (S2E20)

Shirley (Shirley Jones) and Laurie (Susan Dey) decide to "take off on a lark" without the rest of the family. I was kinda hoping for a sort of Thelma & Louise spree, ripping off convenience stores and taking out a couple of male predators, but no...they go camping instead. Open sky. Sleeping bags. Bears. C'mon, get happy.
Danny (Danny Bonaduce), Rueben (Dave Madden) and an impossibly skinny Keith (David Caradine) have inordinate fears that the girls are about to enter Blair Woods, so they follow mom and sis in a Malibu SS. Not much chance of losing that bus in traffic.

The gals find a suitable camping spot in the wild and settle in by knitting their tent stays in place and making yummies for dinner. The guys, secretly hovering nearby, are woefully ill-prepared for a woods excursion. Ruben is dressed in a coat and tie, so sensible for trekking through briar patches and Danny lugs around a suitcase as if looking for his gate at Dulles International. They have no provisions, other than Keith's guitar--so essential for any camping trip. As you can guess, the 'rescuers' are the ones in need of rescuing. Oh, those zany 70's, where women prove themselves smarter than guys. Whoda thunk?

images
images
images

David proving his hair is better than Susan's; crossing the border was so easy back then; they're all actually playing those instruments, right?

Okay, so this series never was on track to win Emmys or Golden Globes. And we know none of them were actually musicians. But wasn't it fun to think a family could pull this off? I mean, the Cowsills did. I hereby admit I only occasionally watched this show because I knew Shirley Jones was far sexier than her image would allow, and button-nosed Susan Dey was just too cute for words. Unfortunately, the series was on Friday nights opposite All In The Family. Remember when Friday nights were considered a scheduling gem? In 1970, I was a junior in college, and guarantee I was not watching TV on Friday night, unless one was strapped to a coed in the bar booth next to me.

Notes:
In one scene, the boys are desperately trying to open a can of baked beans stolen from the girls' supplies. The beans' brand was B&W--which I guess are still around although I haven't seen it here in Indy in many a year. Best baked beans on the planet. Had a big chunk of salt pork right in each can.

In case you thought I was kidding about the hotness of Ms. Jones, I rest my case:

images
images
images

If she's the proverbial 'girl-next-door', I want to move there.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm right there with ya on Ms. Jones (and that pageboy haircut was awfully cute on her). (Me and Mrs. Jones..... we got a thing.... goin' on...). My buddies watched for Dey... I knew better (although she's no slouch). I was a sophomore in HS that year and usually watched the show with my girlfriend (she was an older woman - a senior!). FWIW - my hair was better than Dey's back then... and longer.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Andy Griffith Show
"Arrest of the Fun Girls" (S5E28)

Andy and Barney are discussing date night with girlfriends Helen (Aneta Corsaut) and Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn). Creamed chicken at Morelli's or weinerschnitzel in Mt. Pilot? It's a major perplexity--a vital decision that must be put off for later contemplation.

Suddenly, the "fun girls", reoccurring characters Daphne (Jean Carson) and Skippy (Joyce Jameson), are screaming down Main Street at...wait for it...45 miles an hour! In sleepy Mayberry, where ox carts are considered too speedy, this is a travesty. Skippy possesses a braying laugh and impressive chest while Daphne has a voice similar to that of a strep-throated bullfrog. The girls practically plead to be arrested, causing undue stress to Andy and Barney for fear of exposure of past escapades with the fun girls to their girlfriends. Needless to say, Daphne and Skippy are the antithesis to Helen and Thelma Lou. Andy sends them on their way. Or so he thinks.

upload_2019-7-17_9-18-6.jpeg
upload_2019-7-17_9-20-52.jpeg
upload_2019-7-17_9-21-17.jpeg

Never shoulda stopped this car; Otis about to foul things up; explaining the inexplicable

Unfortunately, the fun girls show up at the courthouse fixin' to party hearty just as Andy and Barney are about to meet Helen and Thelma Lou. The guys feverishly formulate a complicated yet doomed plan to disguise the situation in hopes of slipping discreetly out of an embarrassing confrontation. It all goes pear-shaped when drunk Otis (Hal Smith) stumbles in and locks himself and the fun girls in the jail.

One cannot overstate the comedic talents of this cast. Nobody does a Nervous Nellie better than Don Knotts, whose voice attains a falsetto screech when cornered in difficult events. Andy Griffith is a pro at presenting quasi heroic efforts to uncomplicate rubik cube-type dilemmas. Throw in the fun girls, and you've got more laughs than showing up naked at the senior prom.
Andy sums it all up: "Been quite a night. So far we've lost four girls and one drunk..."

Notes:
Here's something to snicker about. Straight-laced Aneta Corsaut had a steamy affair with married Andy Griffith during the filming of the series.

images

Yeah, she wasn't always so goody-goody...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Man... you absolutely *nailed* the descriptions of Daphne (Jean Carson) and Skippy (Joyce Jameson). I never could understand why they thought anyone like Andy or Barney would be interested in them or why Helen and Thelma Lou would even consider them as competition.

And another hottie... Aneta Corsaut. Did Andy have a sign for certain characters that said "Only HOT girls need apply"? ;)

upload_2019-7-17_9-29-47.png

But Andy always seemed to have a real looker on his shows:

Joanna Moore was in several episodes and looked to be a new love interest for a bit (Say... just what are you doin' there Andy... this is a *family* show!):
MV5BMTQyMjAzODA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTYwODg3MjE@._V1_.jpg

Hmmm did she give him that shiner?
pegandyblackeye.jpg

Julie Adams had a shot for a few episodes:
andynursemarysimpson.JPG

Flirted with Jean Hagen:
andybarneywomanspeeder.jpg

Gail Davis had the misfortune to out shoot Andy in skeet:
MV5BMTgwOTI0MDM0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjAxODg3MjE@._V1_.jpg

Barbara Eden did his nails:
andymanicurist.JPG

Jan Shutan shows up as his "cousin" (suuuure she is... right Helen?):

andygloria.jpg

And there were many more... just in TAGS.

In Matlock there was:

Linda Purl
MV5BMTQxMDQyMzIyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ1MDg2OA@@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Brynn Thayer:
MV5BOTVjZjA0OTktOGEzYy00ZWYyLThmZmItZGM4OWMyZWIyYjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzNDQ0MTY@._V1_.jpg

Nancy Stafford:
latest

And Lee Meriwether costarred in the short lived The New Andy Griffith Show (1971):
250px-Andy_Griffith_Lee_Meriwether_1971.JPG

Wow!

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
It's been a while since my last post and I won't list every show but here are three drama and three comedy epsiodes that were especially good. The Andy Griffith Show was my favorite comedy and The Man From Uncle was my favorite drama but as always they all were very enjoyable.

The Andy Griffith Show S5:ep24 Guest in the House
There was nothing fancy about this episode no clever plot twist, no Barney, and not really any clever one liners. It was just pure small town charm. From Andy's chat with Floyd on the bench, Goobers unique style of dance, and Aunt Bee explaining the situation to Andy in the kitchen the entire episode was great fun. It's hard to believe that a 25 minute TV episode can be so entertaining but that's what makes this hobby so fun. The episode made such an impression on me that I took advantage of the Amazon Walmart price war and bought a second copy of the complete series to keep as a backup. I grew up listening to Paul Harvey's the rest of the story on the radio and have included his episode on Andy Griffith at the end of this post.
Plot from IMDB 7.4
Helen gets jealous when a very attractive friend of the family visits the Taylor household for a few days.
Andy Taylor: I'll get Goober. I'll get Goober. He's not busy, he never is.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine S1:ep14 Progress
When this show and Voyager were both on I liked Voyager better. I noticed that a lot members here like this show better and this episode started to show me why. Brian Keith guest stars in this episode and he really shines. His description of how he created his homestead is captivating and his chemistry with Kira really makes this episode memorable. I recently ordered the complete Hardcastle and McCormick series when Amazon marked it down and his character in this episode reminds me of his role as Hardcastle in that show. He does a really good job as the grumpy old man.
Quotes
[Mullibok tells Kira how he had traveled as a stowaway on board a Cardassian vessel]
Mullibok: When we got here to Jerrado, I overpowered the crew and I stole whatever I needed to start building a life here.
Major Kira: Y... you overpowered the crew? Yourself?
Mullibok: There was only six of them. That was fortunate for me, because I was somewhat weakened by the captivity and starvation.
Plot from IMDB 7.0
Kira must convince an old Bajoran farmer to leave a moon becoming uninhabitable due to mining operations. Jake and Nog try to trade off Cardassian yamok sauce.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. S1:ep5 The Deadly Games Affair
This show does an outstanding job of immersing you in the world of international espionage. The action is fast paced but not too dark with lots of twists and turns. The dialog between Solo and Kuryakin in this episode was especially notable:

Illya Kuryakin
: [about Angelique after she leaves] She seems happy. Who is dead?
Napoleon Solo
: Now don't be unkind, Illya, Any woman who gives a man a flower can't be all bad.
Illya Kuryakin
: [Illya notices a spider crawling out of the flower Angelique gave Solo and kills it] An exceedingly dangerous specimen. One of Angelique's relatives, perhaps?
Stamp Expert
: You mean that beautiful woman just tried to kill you?
Napoleon Solo
: You know Shakespeare my friend? "What a goodly outside falsehood hath," Well there went the goodliest outside in the whole falsehood game.

Reading a little bit about the production history makes me wish that Sam Rolfe would have stayed with the show after season one. So far every episode has been a real treat.
Plot from IMDB 7.4
U.N.C.L.E. and Thrush race to find a Nazi scientist, who worked for Adolf Hitler, after an SS officer assigned to guard the scientist turns up dead. The scientist, who now teaches under the name Professor Amadeus, has Hitler in suspended animation. He needs a person with the same blood type of Hitler's; the Nazi leader will need a completely new blood supply to come out of suspended animation.

Father Knows Best S2:ep7 Kathy Makes Magic
This is my favorite comedy/family show and judging by how few used sets I've seen for sale people that own it must agree. The combination of a strong moralistic theme, great acting, and great stories is hard to beat. When modern life seems like it can't get any crazier it's such a treat to be able to sit down and watch an episode of this show and be transported back to a simpler time. I've decided Jane Wyatt is my favorite TV mom. To me her sophisticated elegance is the perfect example of how a lady should act. In real life she was married to the same man Edgar Bethune Ward from 1935 until his death in 2000 something you don't see too often in Hollywood. Some episodes are heartwarming and some are more comical. This episode was especially comical with different plotlines coming together at the end and it really had me laughing.
Plot from IMDB 7.5
Kathy trades her skates for a friend's magic set, and then believes she can make anything disappear or change appearance as long as she waves the magic want. When she does magic while Bud tries smoking a cigar, she thinks she made Bud sick.

Dennis The Menace S1:ep5 Innocents in Space
My mom used to have all the printed Denis the Menace comic strips and I grew up reading them. The show stays true to the original cartoons with Dennis innocently wreaking havoc without really intending too. Besides being a very well written show the little things that remind me of growing up in the sixties like the style of furniture or the chase lounge chair in Mr. Wilson's yard make it a real pleasure to watch. Without giving away the story, the ending of this episode really got me when Mr. Wilson shows that he really is a good person at heart.
Quotes

Capt. Blast
: [seeing Mr. Wilson walk into the room] Well, Dennis, is this your grandfather?
Plot from IMDB 7.5
Mr. Wilson gets a telescope and is convinced he spotted a missing satellite in space. What he actually spotted was a ping-pong ball that glows in the dark from Dennis' pop gun that Dennis was shooting in the air to win a contest from a kids TV show called Captain Blast.

Walker Texas Ranger S2:ep 12 and 13 Something in the Shadows Parts 1 and 2
IMDB only rates this show 5.5 but when Amazon put it on sale for $50 for prime day it sold out long before the offer expired so people must like it. It's one of my favorite shows partly due to the strong moralistic theme that it's known for. We start to see that theme in these episodes when Walker is shown using martial arts to teach discipline and responsibility to troubled kids. The two different plot lines are very good and the one on the college campus kept me guessing until the end.
Plot from IMDB
Part 1 7.4

Walker and Trivette are on the trail of a drug ring, while a new dean at the local college campus seems to have the inside track to Alex, impeding the investigation of several rapes in the past several months at the same time.
Part 2 7.6
Walker believes that the dean of the college where Alex teaches is hiding something surrounding the rapes on campus, and he also stumbles across information that leads him to believe that one of his karate students has a connection of some sort with a drug ring he's been chasing for some time. But it's personal, not only because the kid's mom's boyfriend set him up and left his partner for dead, but the guy also beats on the kid and the kid's mother.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just to not leave any turn unstoned... the least known babe on TAGS is none other than Francis Bavier:

796cc7e70c006820.jpg

upload_2019-7-17_10-14-3.png

However... I'm not 100% convinced that's really her. There's another "pinup" one that claims to be her but isn't.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
The Patridge Family
"Helllp" (S2E20)
images
images
images

If she's the proverbial 'girl-next-door', I want to move there.

Episode Commentary
The Andy Griffith Show
"Arrest of the Fun Girls" (S5E28)

Andy and Barney are discussing date night with girlfriends Helen (Aneta Corsaut) and Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn). Creamed chicken at Morelli's or weinerschnitzel in Mt. Pilot? It's a major perplexity--a vital decision that must be put off for later contemplation.

You've been a busy boy there, Russ! Good stuff, as usual. I was never a fan of The Partridge Family, though of course I watched it often enough, being a TV-loving kid. I do remember thinking Susan Dey was pretty cute. I can appreciate her mom more now. ;)

27783918353_c810348ff4_b.jpg

The Andy Griffith Show, it probably goes without saying, is one of my favorite American comedies (not my favorite genre, I grant you...) It all comes down to the characters, just crazy enough to generate laughs, but still recognizably human, with Griffith as the calm, if frequently put-upon, center.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Man... you absolutely *nailed* the descriptions of Daphne (Jean Carson) and Skippy (Joyce Jameson). I never could understand why they thought anyone like Andy or Barney would be interested in them or why Helen and Thelma Lou would even consider them as competition.

And another hottie... Aneta Corsaut. Did Andy have a sign for certain characters that said "Only HOT girls need apply"? ;)

View attachment 60733

But Andy always seemed to have a real looker on his shows:

Joanna Moore was in several episodes and looked to be a new love interest for a bit (Say... just what are you doin' there Andy... this is a *family* show!):
MV5BMTQyMjAzODA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTYwODg3MjE@._V1_.jpg

Hmmm did she give him that shiner?
pegandyblackeye.jpg

Julie Adams had a shot for a few episodes:
andynursemarysimpson.JPG

Flirted with Jean Hagen:
andybarneywomanspeeder.jpg

Gail Davis had the misfortune to out shoot Andy in skeet:
MV5BMTgwOTI0MDM0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjAxODg3MjE@._V1_.jpg

Barbara Eden did his nails:
andymanicurist.JPG

Jan Shutan shows up as his "cousin" (suuuure she is... right Helen?):

andygloria.jpg

And there were many more... just in TAGS.

In Matlock there was:

Linda Purl
MV5BMTQxMDQyMzIyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ1MDg2OA@@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Brynn Thayer:
MV5BOTVjZjA0OTktOGEzYy00ZWYyLThmZmItZGM4OWMyZWIyYjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzNDQ0MTY@._V1_.jpg

Nancy Stafford:
latest

And Lee Meriwether costarred in the short lived The New Andy Griffith Show (1971):
https://live.staticflickr.com/8683/27783918353_c810348ff4_b.jpgreferr

Wow!

Fantastic run-down of Andy Griffith Show babes, Howie...but I think you left out Elinor Donahue, who I personally preferred over Ms. Corsaut. Wished she had stayed with the show a little bit longer...

tumblr_ppxwqzRUxL1u6ezad_540.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Fantastic run-down of Andy Griffith Show babes, Howie...but I think you left out Elinor Donahue, who I personally preferred over Ms. Corsaut. Wished she had stayed with the show a little bit longer...

tumblr_ppxwqzRUxL1u6ezad_540.jpg
Yes, I did. Intentionally. Solely due to their penchant for downplaying her attractiveness and apparently going out of their way to make her look "plain" in the series.

They partially did that with Ms. Corsaut but not to the extent as done with Ms. Donahue.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It's been a while since my last post and I won't list every show but here are three drama and three comedy epsiodes that were especially good. The Andy Griffith Show was my favorite comedy and The Man From Uncle was my favorite drama but as always they all were very enjoyable.

The Andy Griffith Show S5:ep24 Guest in the House
There was nothing fancy about this episode no clever plot twist, no Barney, and not really any clever one liners. It was just pure small town charm. From Andy's chat with Floyd on the bench, Goobers unique style of dance, and Aunt Bee explaining the situation to Andy in the kitchen the entire episode was great fun. It's hard to believe that a 25 minute TV episode can be so entertaining but that's what makes this hobby so fun. The episode made such an impression on me that I took advantage of the Amazon Walmart price war and bought a second copy of the complete series to keep as a backup. I grew up listening to Paul Harvey's the rest of the story on the radio and have included his episode on Andy Griffith at the end of this post.
Plot from IMDB 7.4
Helen gets jealous when a very attractive friend of the family visits the Taylor household for a few days.
Andy Taylor: I'll get Goober. I'll get Goober. He's not busy, he never is.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine S1:ep14 Progress
When this show and Voyager were both on I liked Voyager better. I noticed that a lot members here like this show better and this episode started to show me why. Brian Keith guest stars in this episode and he really shines. His description of how he created his homestead is captivating and his chemistry with Kira really makes this episode memorable. I recently ordered the complete Hardcastle and McCormick series when Amazon marked it down and his character in this episode reminds me of his role as Hardcastle in that show. He does a really good job as the grumpy old man.
Quotes
[Mullibok tells Kira how he had traveled as a stowaway on board a Cardassian vessel]
Mullibok: When we got here to Jerrado, I overpowered the crew and I stole whatever I needed to start building a life here.
Major Kira: Y... you overpowered the crew? Yourself?
Mullibok: There was only six of them. That was fortunate for me, because I was somewhat weakened by the captivity and starvation.
Plot from IMDB 7.0
Kira must convince an old Bajoran farmer to leave a moon becoming uninhabitable due to mining operations. Jake and Nog try to trade off Cardassian yamok sauce.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. S1:ep5 The Deadly Games Affair
This show does an outstanding job of immersing you in the world of international espionage. The action is fast paced but not too dark with lots of twists and turns. The dialog between Solo and Kuryakin in this episode was especially notable:

Illya Kuryakin
: [about Angelique after she leaves] She seems happy. Who is dead?
Napoleon Solo
: Now don't be unkind, Illya, Any woman who gives a man a flower can't be all bad.
Illya Kuryakin
: [Illya notices a spider crawling out of the flower Angelique gave Solo and kills it] An exceedingly dangerous specimen. One of Angelique's relatives, perhaps?
Stamp Expert
: You mean that beautiful woman just tried to kill you?
Napoleon Solo
: You know Shakespeare my friend? "What a goodly outside falsehood hath," Well there went the goodliest outside in the whole falsehood game.

Reading a little bit about the production history makes me wish that Sam Rolfe would have stayed with the show after season one. So far every episode has been a real treat.
Plot from IMDB 7.4
U.N.C.L.E. and Thrush race to find a Nazi scientist, who worked for Adolf Hitler, after an SS officer assigned to guard the scientist turns up dead. The scientist, who now teaches under the name Professor Amadeus, has Hitler in suspended animation. He needs a person with the same blood type of Hitler's; the Nazi leader will need a completely new blood supply to come out of suspended animation.

Father Knows Best S2:ep7 Kathy Makes Magic
This is my favorite comedy/family show and judging by how few used sets I've seen for sale people that own it must agree. The combination of a strong moralistic theme, great acting, and great stories is hard to beat. When modern life seems like it can't get any crazier it's such a treat to be able to sit down and watch an episode of this show and be transported back to a simpler time. I've decided Jane Wyatt is my favorite TV mom. To me her sophisticated elegance is the perfect example of how a lady should act. In real life she was married to the same man Edgar Bethune Ward from 1935 until his death in 2000 something you don't see too often in Hollywood. Some episodes are heartwarming and some are more comical. This episode was especially comical with different plotlines coming together at the end and it really had me laughing.
Plot from IMDB 7.5
Kathy trades her skates for a friend's magic set, and then believes she can make anything disappear or change appearance as long as she waves the magic want. When she does magic while Bud tries smoking a cigar, she thinks she made Bud sick.

Dennis The Menace S1:ep5 Innocents in Space
My mom used to have all the printed Denis the Menace comic strips and I grew up reading them. The show stays true to the original cartoons with Dennis innocently wreaking havoc without really intending too. Besides being a very well written show the little things that remind me of growing up in the sixties like the style of furniture or the chase lounge chair in Mr. Wilson's yard make it a real pleasure to watch. Without giving away the story, the ending of this episode really got me when Mr. Wilson shows that he really is a good person at heart.
Quotes

Capt. Blast
: [seeing Mr. Wilson walk into the room] Well, Dennis, is this your grandfather?
Plot from IMDB 7.5
Mr. Wilson gets a telescope and is convinced he spotted a missing satellite in space. What he actually spotted was a ping-pong ball that glows in the dark from Dennis' pop gun that Dennis was shooting in the air to win a contest from a kids TV show called Captain Blast.

Walker Texas Ranger S2:ep 12 and 13 Something in the Shadows Parts 1 and 2
IMDB only rates this show 5.5 but when Amazon put it on sale for $50 for prime day it sold out long before the offer expired so people must like it. It's one of my favorite shows partly due to the strong moralistic theme that it's known for. We start to see that theme in these episodes when Walker is shown using martial arts to teach discipline and responsibility to troubled kids. The two different plot lines are very good and the one on the college campus kept me guessing until the end.
Plot from IMDB
Part 1 7.4

Walker and Trivette are on the trail of a drug ring, while a new dean at the local college campus seems to have the inside track to Alex, impeding the investigation of several rapes in the past several months at the same time.
Part 2 7.6
Walker believes that the dean of the college where Alex teaches is hiding something surrounding the rapes on campus, and he also stumbles across information that leads him to believe that one of his karate students has a connection of some sort with a drug ring he's been chasing for some time. But it's personal, not only because the kid's mom's boyfriend set him up and left his partner for dead, but the guy also beats on the kid and the kid's mother.

Welcome back, Steve, good to see you posting again! That's a good line-up of classic shows! I haven't seen that particular episode of The Andy Griffith show yet, will have to correct that oversight pronto. It appears to be the Jan Shutan episode Howie mentions above. My personal favorite TAGS episodes are "Man in a Hurry" and "The Pickle Story," but I haven't really found a bad one yet.

I'm one of the ones you mentioned who (VASTLY) prefers Deep Space Nine over Voyager. I don't remember this episode...I'm thinking I've never seen it. Thanks for reminding me of it, will try and seek it out soon. I like Brian Keith, and it sounds like a good role for him.

I'm in the process of slowly expanding my '50 and '60s sitcom collection...
Planning to pick up the first 2 seasons of Father Knows Best later this summer. I know the first season has many syndicated cut episodes, but from the sounds of it, maybe half or a little less are uncut. I picked up The Donna Reed Show S2 a little while ago and plan to get S1 now that the price has dropped.

The following is my small(ish) U.S. comedy selection on DVD (I have quite a few more British sitcoms in addition to these):

BATMAN, S1 (I know some don't consider this a comedy, but I do)
THE MUPPET SHOW, S1- 3
THE MUNSTERS, S1 & 2
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, S1 - 5
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, 50th Anniversary Collection
F-TROOP, S1 & 2
BEST OF JACK BENNY
One of the many RED SKELTON samplers
GROUCHO MARX, YOU BET YOUR LIFE (the 2 "Best of" sets)
THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, S 1- 4
SGT. BILKO: THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW (50th Anniversary Edition)
I LOVE LUCY, S1
THE BEST OF THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW
THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, S2 & 5
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, S1 - 3
GREEN ACRES, S1 - 3
THE ADDAMS FAMILY, Vol. 1
HOGAN’S HEROES, S1
BEWITCHED, S1 & 2
McHALE’S NAVY – 20 TIMELESS EPISODES
MERRY SITCOM!
MY THREE SONS, S1
PETTICOAT JUNCTION S1-3
GIDGET
GOMER PYLE USMC S1
THE DONNA REED SHOW S2

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yes, I did. Intentionally. Solely due to their penchant for downplaying her attractiveness and apparently going out of their way to make her look "plain" in the series.

They partially did that with Ms. Corsaut but not to the extent as done with Ms. Donahue.
I think I mentioned in a post several pages back that I actually knew Elinor Donahue. In the mid-70's, I was working in the ad biz in Chicago and my roommate at the time was an account exec for McCormick spices. He had hired Elinor to be a spokesperson for the brand, and they became an "item" while filming in LA. On occasion, she would come out to Chicago to visit him at our apartment.
I can testify most definitely that she was nothing like her image from Father Knows Best or The Andy Griffith Show.
I will say she was a very fun lady and leave it at that.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's a nice lineup of classic 50s/60s comedy there Jeff.

Here are a few more I recommend:

I Dream of Jeannie
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Get Smart
Car 54 Where Are You?
Hazel
Mister Ed
The Patty Duke Show
The Real McCoys
Gilligan's Island

The first season of any of those will give you a very good idea of how the rest goes. They were all fairly consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks