1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

You can take any old remote you're not using for something else and the Apple TV will learn its commands, including a set of additional playback controls. The ATV will recognize when you change remotes and respond to either.

Jeff Flugel and Jasper70 like this.
  2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I have the first 2 seasons on DVD. I'd completely forgotten I did!

I know she loves Murder She Wrote, and she has a taste for British comedy, so anything BBC would probably suit her taste and mine.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    So I could use a DVD player remote? How do I get it to learn commands?

4. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Have the remote handy. Go into the apple tv menu. I believe the remote menu is under settings -> general (I'm not in front of a tv screen at the moment). Anyhow you'll find it. It will show you all the remotes paired with your tv (e.g. maybe the ATV app on your smartphone) ask you if you want it to learn a remote and you answer yes. You hold down the buttons on your remote and point it at the ATV as the ATV learns them one by one. Then you do additional playback controls which are a nice enhancement. This will work with just about any infrared remote, providing the battery isn't drained. ;) It doesn't have to be a learning remote or a universal remote because it doesn't learn ATV commands, ATV learns the remote's commands.

Jasper70 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Message #2285 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Well, I've only watched the first few episodes, Russ, but found Green Acres pretty sharply-written, especially the pilot, which is terrifically meta and satirical. The show settles down into more typical sitcom fashion by the very next episode, but if you can connect to its weird, over-the-top surreal vibe, it's pretty fun. So far, I think I enjoy The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction more (as I don't find Eddie Albert's character very likeable), but Green Acres is probably the most imaginative of the three.

It likely didn't help that you tuned in to a "hippie" episode, which - to echo Howie - often results in terrible episodes when they appear in most 60s series.

Montytc, BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #2286 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Got some good archive TV viewing done, in between binging episodes of Stranger Things 3 on Netflix.

The Mind of J.G. Reeder - 2.7 "Find the Lady"
    Mild-mannered, weedy Mr. Reeder (played to perfection by Hugh Burden) is actually the scourge of the British criminal underground in this lively and charming ITV series from the early '70s. In this episode, one of only 2 of the 16 that were filmed in color (due to a production strike), Reeder investigates the disappearances of several young upper-class ladies. It's a hoot to see how the nebbishy, prim Reeder puts the wind up the various dastardly criminals he contends with. A comment from one of the baddies here pretty much sums up their view of Reeder's supposedly harmless appearance:

"Harmless? He has the cold eye of a mass murderer!"

[​IMG]

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
    - 1.8 "Foul Play in Funland"
    Been on a bit of a Hanna-Barbera kick lately, what with listening to podcasts like Limited Cel (where a father and son go through each H-B cartoon series in chronological order) and reading various blogs online. This episode of the original Scooby-Doo series goes against the usual grain, featuring no villains, just a malfunctioning robot rampaging around a deserted amusement park.

Jonny Quest
    - 1.15 "Turu the Terrible"
    Don't have the Blu-Ray set (yet), but the old DVD still looks pretty good. Dr. Quest and the gang, down in the jungles of South America somewhere, fend of the attacks of a pterodactyl, the pet of a demented old creep who has enslaved dozens of local tribesmen to dig for ore in his mountain fortress. As usual in JQ, things don't go well for the villain and his dino enforcer at the end of this tale, especially once Race Bannon has a bazooka in hand.

Kung Fu
    2.1 "The Well
    2.2 "The Assassin"
    Got my Region 2 DVD set of this iconic 70s east-meets-western. I ordered the PAL version as the discs were single-sided (unlike the flipper Region 1 sets, which reportedly have many playability issues), but was dismayed to find that the shows are all cropped wide-screen. Despite this caveat, the transfers look very nice and the show doesn't seem to suffer too terribly much in 16:9 format. It's been years since I've seen this series and I've been whetting my appetite for getting it on DVD by watching snippets of various fight scenes on YouTube. I thought the season 2 premiere, "The Well," was a mighty fine piece of work, featuring excellent performances from the guest cast, especially Hal Williams, as the head of a black family hiding a working well in the middle of a drought, who comes to Caine's aid when he accidentally drinks tainted water. Tim McIntire plays a punk deputy who Caine throws around like a rag doll, and Jim Davis plays the straight-arrow sheriff. "The Assassin" is sillier, featuring as it does a ninja (played by a pre-Quincy Robert Ito) hired to level the playing field in a feud between two businessmen (Dana Elcar and William Glover), and the half-Japanese daughter (Beverly Kushida) of one of the men, who falls for Caine.

The writing and production values are quite good in this show, but mostly I'm impressed by the acting, especially David Carradine, who plays Caine with such soulful, wounded dignity, in stark contrast to his real life persona. I know today, many mourn for what could have been, had Bruce Lee been rightfully given the lead to the series he helped create, but Carradine does about as well as possible in the part, and acquits himself well in the action scenes. And of course, it's a joy to see Keye Luke as Master Po, imparting his wisdom to the young Kwai Chang.

Mr. Ed - 2.3 "Ed's Ancestors"
    Caught an episode on YouTube of this, perhaps the highest-concept sitcom of the gimmick heavy 1960s. I was of course aware of Mr. Ed, but had never actually watched a full episode before now. I enjoyed it, mostly for Allan "Rocky" Lane's vocal work (not Chill Wills as previously reported - thanks Bob Gu!) and some outrageous visual gags (like Ed dialing a rotary phone with a pencil in his horsey mouth, playing solitaire, etc.) Larry Keating, as Wilbur's snide neighbor, Roger Addison, is also good value. In this one, Wilbur's (typically bodacious) wife, Carol (Connie Hines), wants Ed to pose for a statue, which leads to Ed getting Wilbur to trace his heritage, expecting he might be descended from royal stock. Goofy fun ensues. Show creator and producer, Arthur Lubin, had a real thing for stories featuring animals, particularly the talking variety: he directed Rhubarb, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, and several Francis the Talking Mule flicks.

[​IMG]
    Connie Hines

I Dream of Jeannie - 3.16 "Genie, Genie, Who's Got the Genie, Part 1"
    Jeannie gets locked in a safe bound for the moon, causing Major Nelson and his astronaut pal, Roger (Bill Dailey), to madly scramble to find a way to free her before lift-off. Edward Andrews and Lou Antonio appear as a couple of crooks hired by Tony to crack the safe and free Jeannie. I liked the visual props for the interior of the safe set where the luscious Ms. Eden spends most of the episode, which include a giant matchbook, a giant lipstick which she converts into a candle (though why lipstick is included in an astronaut survival kit is anybody's guess), containers of NASA food pills, etc.. I was rather nonplussed, however, when I discovered the episode ended in a cliffhanger -- in fact, it's the first of a four-parter! And, needless to say, good old YouTube didn't have the remaining parts. Being as this is IDOJ, I'm sure everything works out fine in the end, anyway...

morasp, Rustifer, Jasper70 and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Hey grasshopper, watch the most iconic fight scene from season 1 featuring some fine music composition.

"Dark Angel"

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  8. Message #2288 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'll never learn... sigh... another one goes on the wish list. The British seem to do these little mystery/crime shows sooo much better than us Yanks.

Scooby Doo... I never could get into this one. It felt like the same thing every week - just a new location. My grandkids love it. so I own a copy. One of these days I'm going to watch some of it without them and try to see why so many people love this series.
    As good as the DVDs look the BRs look better. It's amazing how good they look and sound. You need to make sure you have this one in your cache to take back on your next trip home.
    I loved this one as a teenager. The few episodes I've been able to see it through the years I still enjoyed. Of course I purchased the complete series set. I've watched all of S1 and was quite disappointed that it was repurposed for WS. As you've indicated, it's not too terrible but I recall several shots/scenes that just looked horrible. I went so far as to repurchase the SS R1 release as several Amazon "reviews" said it was FS. It's not. It's still the fake WS of the DS discs just on SS. IIRC the US S2 & S3 are proper FS (aka 4:3) but it's been a while since I've checked. I think I can put my hands on this one fairly easily so will look for it and double check that assertion.
    I *love* Mr. Ed. Alan Lane's "Chill Wills" sounding voice just brings it home. I'm also a huge fan of the Francis movies. Wilbur is a hoot and Ms. Hines... errrr... Carol.... is easy on the eyes (and yet another childhood crush). Sometimes I think I watched some of these shows as much for the "eye candy" as the show itself. :D
    It's like I tell my grandkids: "It's in the script... that's why." ;)

This is another good one to own. I've never cared for series in which they added babies/kids or people got married for no apparent reason than they were out of ideas and originally felt Major Nelson and Jeannie getting hitched in S5 was just another ratings ploy. Surprise! It's one of the few that actually works!

Rustifer, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I'm more in favor of changing the dynamic when after a certain point the formula gets too repetitive. IDOJ and "Get Smart" I think benefited from going the marriage angle because I don't believe for one minute IDOJ was going to somehow last another four-five years repeating the same formula (indeed one reason why "Bewitched" is so awful in its later years is because they never changed the formula at all, and were even remaking old 64 scripts by then).

10. Ron1973

Vudu MIGHT be your friend. As of a few weeks ago they were running S3 free streaming. I haven't checked lately as I pretty much finished off the season and started dabbling in my S1 DVD set.

11. Message #2291 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The time line of KUNG FU creator Ed Spielman in pitching the show to Warner's doesn't support the claim that Bruce Lee had the idea first.
    http://www.martialjournal.com/the-truth-about-the-creation-of-the-kung-fu-tv-series/

Bruce Lee's idea, THE WARRIOR actually was made recently into a series and is on Amazon.

Wow..Connie Hines!
    300hI.
    7d6f886978cd2d5e364b7bac99283492.
    d426e358bb7be886cdd0d592874f2b3d.
    Chill Wills was the voice of Francis the Talking Mule.
    b2477414a346981655c1c7c2f6c690c2--will-movie-the-script.

The Republic Picture star, Allan 'Rocky' Lane was the voice of Mr. Ed.
    amazon.

I have been watching COMBAT! I started with color Season 5 and am now finishing up Season 3.
    4028076b4176bfe64cc569ad7691cad8.
    rick jason-vic morrow-PS-Combat.
    2903414654_c16a02d769.
    Here is an ad that is promoting a new 1960-61 NBC western series called THE AVENGER starring Vic Morrow. It never made it to series.
    new%20show%20avenger.

I was aware that Vic Morrow starred in two pilots for THE AVENGER, both titled 'The Avenger'. One appeared on THE OUTLAWS and the other on BONANZA. Apparently it was scheduled at some point and cancelled. Could there be lost never aired episodes?

morasp, Montytc, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  12. Ron1973

You made me think of this great song by The Statler Brothers:

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Bob Gu like this.
  13. Message #2293 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    That's it, Bob...I'm just going to have to have you, with your eagle eye, vet all my posts first. Thanks for the corrections (and thanks to Howie, too)!

Never heard of, nor seen, that Vic Morrow "The Avenger" pilot. Will have to check out the one that aired on Bonanza at some point.

Bob Gu and Flashgear like this.
  14. Message #2294 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the detailed responses, Howie!
    This is another cheap as chips Network special, and I doubt you'll regret the purchase. It's a very funny show, too, playing a bit like a P.G. Wodehouse take on a crime thriller.

Yes, it's hard to explain why certain nostalgic cartoon favorites work for someone as an adult. I just like the Scooby-Doo characters, and the format, though repeated ad nauseum as well as copied many times over the years, is one that I respond to.

Oh, trust me, this one is on top of my next order list. Like Doug mentioned a few pages back, this is my all-time favorite TV cartoon series and I'm congenitally unable to not pick it up...I'll pass the DVD set on to a friend of mine back home.

Yes, it seems there is no winning when it comes to Kung Fu on DVD. The Region 1 Complete Series set is reportedly plagued with problems (disc freezing, skipping, etc.). The Region 2 sets are single-sided and seem to be free from authoring errors, judging from online feedback, but are all in widescreen. Some studio just needs to release this show on Blu-Ray in its proper format.

Yeah, will also be getting this one in Complete Series form. It's just so cheap! $20 on Amazon...that's less than the first 2 individual seasons! I've enjoyed revisiting the show on YouTube recently, enough to be willing to grab it in its entirety. It'll take me years and years to finish it off, of course, but that's okay.

morasp and Flashgear like this.
  15. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Close to finishing up Gunsmoke - Season 7.
    The Summons (7.29) John Crawford, Bethel Leslie. Matt angers a psychopath and is wickedly tricked almost to his death.

The Dreamers (7.30) J. Pat O'Malley, Liam Redmond. Starts out serio-comic and turns tragic. Kitty has a suitor that will not take "NO" for an answer. He then set in motion a terrible chain of events that could change the face of Dodge forever.

Cale (7.31) Carl Reindel, Robert Karnes. Mistaken identity and a stubborn suspect make for an interesting tale of revenge to clear a name.

Chester's Indian (7.32) Karl Swenson, Jena Engstrom, Eddie Little Sky. Chester is in the wrong place at the wrong time and keeps letting his heart make decisions over common sense.

Jonny Quest - Complete Series Bluray
    Skull And Double Crossbones (1.11) Doug Young, Henry Corden. Dr. Quest is exploring exotic fish while Jonny, Hadji and Bandit discover sunken treasure.

The Dreadful Doll (1.12) Henry Corden, Sandy Wormser. Dr. Quest is still exploring fish. Jonny and Hadji are excited to see and report on a submarine lurking in the depths. On the surface, voodoo has reared its head by falling on the daughter of a plantation owner. Dr. Quest believes the "voodoo" to be medical and not mystical. He develops a "cure" while Race uncovers an illegal mining operation.

A Small Matter of Pygmies (1.13) Doug Young. Pygmies who worship aircraft. Seems odd that they would attempt to kill people who emerged from within said aircraft. Still and all, an episode I remember fondly from my youth. Just how manny times can Race push that boulder off the mountain top, same with Jonny, Hadji and the rocks or for that matter the inexhaustible supply of arrows the pygmies have? Logic, who needs logic: this is Jonny Quest I'm talking about ;) .

Then I rounded out my week by watching the first two episodes of From The Earth To The Moon - Bluray (received my copy from Best Buy on Friday the 12th). 21 years old, that qualifies as classic??? Right???
    Can We Do This?
    Apollo One

Finally finished Season 2 of Stranger Things.

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

New spotlight, Joan O'Brien. Started out as a singer on the Bob Crosby variety show and then started doing TV in 1958 but had her biggest fame in the big-screen version of "Operation Petticoat" as the well-endowed, klutzy Lieutenant Crandall. Also was in "The Alamo" and another John Wayne movie, "The Comancheros." She retired from the business in 1965.

[​IMG]

I ended up watching both "Operation Petticoat" and "The Comancheros" and all of these guest shots.

M Squad, S2-"The Take Over"

Riverboat, S1-"The Fight Back"

Perry Mason, S3-"The Case Of The Singing Skirt"

Wagon Train, S4-"The Candy O'Hara Story" (she had one previous "Wagon Train" appearance but I saw that episode during my Wende Wagner marathon).

Cheyenne, S5-"Incident At Dawson Flats"

The Tall Man, S2-"The Impatient Brides" (a sitcom like plot about four mail-order brides that would NEVER pass muster today!)

The Dick Van Dyke Show, S2-"The Foul Weather Girl" (The only episode in this marathon where I got to hear her singing talent)

The Lieutenant-"Man With An Edge"

The Virginian, S3-"Dark Challenge"

The Man From UNCLE, S1-"The Green Opal Affair"

Perry Mason, S8-"The Case Of The Lover's Gamble"

17. Message #2297 of 2517 Jul 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Love Joan O'Brien, she's good (and looks fantastic) in Operation Petticoat, an old fave. I haven't seen much of her TV work, however, other than an episode of The Westerner (S1, episode 6, "The Courting of Libby"), where both Brian Keith and John Dehner comically vie for her affections.

[​IMG]

morasp, Jack P and Flashgear like this.
  18. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    God, all you guys are watching so much great old TV! (and movies)...I have my own stack lined up, but you guys have me flying off in 6 different directions to watch, re-watch or order some of the favorites recently mentioned here by all of you!

Wonderful post Bob!, I'm a big, big, fan of the great Vic Morrow and Combat! (IMHO, season 3 is astounding in quality, and my personal favorite season) although at times Morrow's "method" acting style can become a little too self conscious...I'm sure that the back story of why The Avenger never sold into a series would make for very interesting reading (too similar in visage to Paladin of HGWT?)...that first season Bonanza episode is a memorable one, and Vic really carries it home with his enigmatic, restrained, but grief driven and haunted performance...I'll have to pull out my old source for that Outlaws episode (also featuring Martin Landau), which aired about a year later, although in that one, Vic's character is given a different name (in Outlaws he is "Tommy Dodge", versus the original "Lassiter" in Bonanza, although both episodes are called The Avenger and certainly bare the same hallmarks as to the backstory of the character himself)...
    I agree Bob, considering that NBC was already putting out promo materials as you showed for an Avenger series intended for fall 1961, you would think that at least a few episodes were already in the can, as the Outlaws episode had already aired on April 13 1961, presumably to encouraging ratings, if not continued support by NBC, home to both Outlaws and Bonanza of course...things would shortly look up for Vic Morrow, with the filming of Combat!'s pilot just before Christmas 1961 at MGM and Zuma beach for Selmur productions, with ABC buying the series in 1962.

I have the original 1959 feature film, Operation Petticoat in the original Olive Blu-ray, which has since been re-released by Olive in a supposedly upgraded "signature edition"...which I can't imagine looks any better than my older Blu, which to me already looks great. A favorite Cary Grant film in his wonderful body of work! And I find myself really enjoying the fine career work of Tony Curtis more and more, with his superb work in Sweet Smell of Success being his career ultimate in my opinion...just by chance, I also enjoyed The Perfect Furlough and 40 Pounds of Trouble recently...and I enjoy his TV work also, such as his semi-regular role on Vega$...anyway, for awhile I held out hope that the 1977-79 TV series version of Operation Petticoat would eventually see the light of day on a licensed DVD...you guys rightfully talking about other babes like Connie Hines, Barbara Eden and Joan O'Brien and the mention of the famous 1959 box office hit has me thinking about this late '70s series, which featured such choice cheesecake as Melinda Naud, Dorrie Thompson and a very young Jamie Lee Curtis (Tony's daughter of course), along with John Astin in the submarine commander role...it was filmed at Universal, but may have more complicated rights now as to it's pedigree...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Gu, Jeff Flugel and Jack P like this.
  19. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I watched "Operation Petticoat" regularly when it was on and then bailed out when it had that mind-boggling overhaul for its very brief second season that jettisoned 95% of the cast. The idea that this would attract new viewers without giving regard to the fact it was driving away all the old viewers is just mind-boggling to me. Since obscure 70s titles have made it to DVD I keep thinking there is some hope for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if didn't. I do have a mid-1980s recording of the two hour pilot remake of the 1959 movie (which aired at 3 AM on WCBS and was retitled "Life In The Pink") and about a dozen episodes that aired on TV Land I think in the 2000s.

Melinda Naud was certainly a worthy successor to Joan O'Brien in the Lieutenant Crandall role.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Quality cheesecake, indeed! I know I must have watched this show when it first aired in the late '70s, as I was already a fan of the 1959 Cary Grant/Tony Curtis original by then...but for the life of me, I can't remember a single thing about it. For example, Jack's mention of its second season overhaul draws a complete blank - but what an asinine thing to do to a show!

[​IMG]

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.