1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Gunsmoke - Season 7

The Do-Badder
    (7.15) Abraham Soafer, Strother Martin, Warren Oates, Adam Williams, H. M. Wynant, Mercedes Shirley. A miner believes since he now desires to do good, he wants all who he meets to act the same way. He believes being self sufficient is how all people should be, not lazy. He experiments with several citizens with disastrous results for them and for himself.

Lacey (7.16) Sherry Jackson, Jeremy Slate, Dorothy Green, Sarah Selby. A father's overprotective nature exposes some hideous truths hidden in the Parcher family. Always enjoyable seeing Sherry Jackson in anything.

Cody's Code (7.17) Anthony Caruso, Gloria Talbott, Wayne Rogers, Robert Knapp. Friendship and being nice don't payoff for Cody. His life is turned upside down by two ment visiting Dodge.

The High Chapparal - Season 3

To Stand For Something More (3.6) Don Diamond, Gino Conforti. Blue is given the chance to prove his leadership by being in charge of the Chapparal while Big John and Mano deliver cattle to the Army. In this process, John's prized stallion is stolen and Blue feels the only way to prove his ability is to track the stallion and apprehend the theives by himself.

Trail To Nevermore (3.7) Milton Selzer, Bo Svenson, Rayford Barnes. A "haunted" type of story. John, Victoria and Mano are attacked and left for dead. They eventually arrive in a deserted town and are treated well by the "Sheriff" (a broken down old miner who believes anything he is told). He is working for the attackers until they plan to kill the Cannons. Seems like the same set used for episodes of Wild Wild West. I only heard the voice of Milton Selzer as he was virtually unrecognizable in this episode.

Apache Trust (3.8) Chief Dan George, Ron Feinberg, Evans Thornton, Mark Jenkins. Gun runners posing as Apaches entangle Blue, Buck and John. Blue is a volunteer hostage so that John and Buck can prove the gun runners are not the Apaches. Mano was following his own lead and is now captured by the gun runners.

Lady Fair (3.9) Joanna Moore, Dub Taylor. Buck finds his soul mate and falls in love. Since this is 1969, we know he will never march down the aisle. She decides to leave his as she is not "helpless" enough for the manly Buck Cannon. (She is to bossy and take charge and she and Buck would be fighting over who wears the pants :D.)

The Lost Ones (3.10) Richard Lapp, Christopher Dark. Victoria aids in the recuperation of a wounded brave. He believes she has great magic, steals her picture and convinces his tribe that she is a great healer. She is kidnapped and held accountable for another brave, should he dies, she would also.

2. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
  3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
  4. JohnHopper

John Hopper

A word to the wise: when a vintage soundtrack comes out, grab it real fast because that stuff is hot and very limited.
    Once it is announced, I ordered it on the spot as a safety measure. I've seen so many collectors, devastated by the OOP effect.
    Picture yourself in a showdown or a shoot-out! Draw or die!

gunsmoke12_01.

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Wise advice. While I do very much enjoy soundtracks, DVDs and Blu-Rays take collecting precedence. That said, this one stings, as The Wild Wild West is one of my all-time Top 10 shows.

Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  6. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I do have the Slim Whitman yodeling version on 8 track that I can sell you for $2.98.

It is sad but soundtrack albums have a very small but loyal audience and they do tend to go OOP rapidly.

ADDED: You are right about WWW. A great one of a kind show.

7. Message #2047 of 2212 Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    2/3 of the way through Season 3 on The A-Team

Copyright year on the closing credits has changed to 1985 as of the third-season episode "Skins" (OAD Tuesday, Jan. 29, 1985 on NBC).

ateam1985copyright1.

Also, Stephen J. Cannell's logo has once again changed, this time to the version that would be used for the rest of the run of The A-Team on NBC:

That logo change occurred on the third-season episode "Cup A' Joe" (OAD Tuesday, Jan. 8, 1985 on NBC).

Rustifer, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  8. JohnHopper

John Hopper

La La Land Records plan to release some vintage hot stuff in 2019 and I will let the forum inform about it.
    Prepare your gun belt and get ready for it …

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Taylor * D

Taylor * D Auditioning

Just entered the last third of Dallas - Season 8, and almost midway through Gilligan's Island - Season 2.

This is my third time watching Dallas, and it just gets better each time. This season really belongs to Victoria Principal IMO. She's been playing with all the emotions and I'm here for it. I bought the complete remastered series of Gilligan's Island some time ago on iTunes. It's my first time rewatching it since the early 90's when my brother and I would park ourselves in front of the tv for an hour before having to go off to school. Truly amazed I remember a lot of the episodes, and glad I got to watch my favourite episode restored "Castaway Pictures Presents."

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I finished watching It Ain't Half Hot Mum yesterday. Surprisingly it has closure with the war with Japan ending and everyone getting demobed. And the episodes dealing with that process were humorous and well done.

In series 6 I noticed "Rangi Ram" (played by Michael Bates) was missing but not until I'd seen a few episodes. Honestly I really didn't miss his character and felt the series improved without him butting in everywhere. After the series ended I looked up why he'd left and found out that he died after series 5 was shot. He was never written out of the series officially and just disappeared all of a sudden (as I'd noticed). They never explained what happened to him. A portion of what he did was shifted to other actors who'd primarily been background before his death. It worked very well with them as they were frequently present but not as intrusive.

Overall, it was an interesting, and sometimes humorous, series but not one I see myself revisiting with any frequency. The performing troupe theme and recurring gags/phrases got rather old towards the end and it was starting to feel repetitious. I liked Dad's Army much better.

Rustifer, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  11. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Welcome to the thread, Taylor! While not a fan of Dallas myself, I know that there are several fellow lovers of that show in here. Totally agree with you about Gilligan's Island...I haven't watched that show in over 30 years and can still remember some of the episodes and their plots! Guess I must've watched some of them over and over again when growing up...

Flashgear likes this.
  12. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I'm impressed with your dedication, Howie...you blew through the existing 56 episodes of It Ain't Half Hot Mum in short order (and possibly the poorer quality other two as well). Can't ever watch that much of one thing straight through, myself, so kudos to you. Glad you persevered and ended up getting some enjoyment out of the show, even if it's not one you're likely to revisit. I think one of the main problems with the show is that none of the characters (with the exception of Windsor Davies' Sgt. Major Williams) really pop in the way that so many do on Dad's Army.

13. Message #2053 of 2212 Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I essentially watched a series per day with a couple on Saturday/Sunday. With only 6-8 episodes per series it's fairly easy to do as I usually watch 4-5 hours of TV per night - both movies and TV series (just which depends on my mood). And I did watch those 2 episodes from the Aussie tape source. I was a bit irritated when I discovered them in the "Special Features" area. Just put 'em in sequence with the rest and slap up a disclaimer before it starts. At least that way you can easily watch them in sequence. And they weren't all that bad in spite of the warning that made them sound like bad Kinescope copies.

"Gloria" was memorable but really got old with his constant whining. "Sgt. Major Williams" just grated on me every time he spoke and is a lot of why I'll not revisit the series often. The parts I tended to laugh at most involved the Colonel and Captain with their hoity-toity attitudes/comments - sort of "upper class twit" type remarks.

Had I purchased series 1 to sample the show first I'd likely have not continued. It's another of those situations where purchasing the entire series in one go was actually more cost effective than sampling one and picking up the others if I liked it enough (~$6/S1 used vs. ~$20/Full series new).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  14. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    Finally finished up some newer stuff and got to watch a few vintage episodes.

Hawaii 5-0 - Season2
    Episode 3: Forty Feet High and It Kills
    Wo Fat is back and kidnaps a climate Scientist (Will Geer) to cause big trouble for Steve and the boys. The good guys win, but Wo Fat lives to fight another day.

Episode 4: Just Lucky I Guess
    John Randolph plays a business man from the mainland trying to have big fun with a hooker while on a business trip. As you would expect, things go very bad and he ends up witnessing a murder. He does everything he can to keep his nose out of it, but in the end does the right thing and testifies against the mob. Elaine Joyce also guest stars.

The Green Hornet - Season 1
    Episode 6: Eat, Drink and Be Dead
    Episode 12: Deadline For Death
    Episode 13: The Secret of the Sally Bell

I DVR'd these from the Heroes and Icons channel. This is one of the few remaining shows that I would love to own on disc, but there are no signs of that ever happening. The show gets lumped in with Batman, and they do share a narrator, but the Green Hornet has a little different vibe to me. While the Green Hornet is certainly not a serious show it has a little darker edge than Batman. I have a few episodes that I recorded to DVD from the Good Life channel many years ago, but I didn't have any of these so they have been fun to watch.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Rustifer like this.
  15. JohnHopper

John Hopper

Richard Shores - The Sino-One Theme (1969)

Flashgear, Montytc and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Message #2056 of 2212 Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I caught an episode of "The Virginian" not too long ago. I wish I had kept notes on it as it was such a good one. Alas, I can't even remember the name of it. Something about the Virginian going after a bank robber who killed his friend in a robbery only to reluctantly take up with the man's quite comely wife and fulfilling a father's role to her young son. Maybe someone in here knows this particular episode.

I was reminded how much I loved the series' theme music--a soaring number written by Percy Faith. I've been whistling it for years--my wife would ask me what it was--and I couldn't remember until I saw this episode.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  17. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yes, the theme song to The Virginian is a great one.

Not super familiar with the show, certainly not enough to identify the episode in question that you watched, Russ. I bet Randall would know, though...

Montytc, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  18. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Some kind of pressure, ha, ha...Russ will have to tell us if your bet pays off, Jeff...but I appreciate your vote of confidence!...I have the first 7 seasons of The Virginian on the splendid Timeless sets, will get season 8 at some point...with 270+ 90 minute episodes in the series run, and the need for scriptwriters to revisit some of the same story scenarios over and again those many years, but with perhaps different series leads each time, for instance a Virginian story, a Trampas story, a Ryker story or a Randy story in each instance...but if Russ says it's a James Drury episode as the "Virginian" (James Drury is the title character, a man of past mystery as in the original Whister book and earlier movies), there are more than one such episode that comes to mind...but knowing Russ and his TV interests (Ha, ha), one episode immediately came to mind for me...season four (1965-66), Beyond The Border, with no one less than one of Russ's most favorite TV dreamgirls as the "comely wife"...Joan Staley (also from season 6 of 77 Sunset Strip, of course!) as the outlaw girl love interest for the Virginian, Michael Forest ('Apollo' from the original Star Trek) as the no good side of beef outlaw thug who neglects her (must have been insane)...Thomas Gomez as the prototypical old and wise Mexican, and Joe Mantell are also in this one...but as I say, there are definitely other candidates in this well tread story category in the long run of The Virginian...If you're interested in me doing so, I could take some screen shots of Joan Staley from that episode in my DVDs...let Jeff and I know if Jeff's bet has paid off, Russ!

Rustifer and Jeff Flugel like this.
  19. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Way to go, Randall...I think you might be on to something there! Russ' brief plot synopsis does sound like one that was likely repeated several times over not only in The Virginian, but on any number of other western series at the time. Let's see if your summary above jogs Russ' memory...

And yes, please, re: pics of Joan Staley...No excuse needed for that sort of humanitarian work!

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  20. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks, Randall--I looked up "Beyond the Border" on IMDb but unfortunately that's not the episode to which I referred. So now it's going to drive me crazy. I will, however, need to check out that one with Joan Staley for sure.

Oh boy! thanks for posting the theme song, Jeff! I accidentally fired it up this morning while my wife was still asleep and was rewarded with a very nasty look from her. Still...a great theme song!!

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.