What's new

What did you think of "Proof of Life?" (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyone seen Proof of Life? I’d never heard of it, but we saw it the other night. My wife says it only got so-so reviews when it came out, but we thought it was excellent – quite a bit better than Enemy at the Gates, which we also watched the same night (it was good, too, just kinda slow).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed the part where Crowe cut that guys throat ever so slowly. My wife demanded that we repeat viewing of that scene over and over and over and over...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It was better than I thought it would be. Nothing I'd buy, but a good movie.

David Dennison

Second Unit
It is probably my wife's favorite movie right now. I think she's seen it a dozen times. She bought copies of it for several people for Christmas. I liked it, but it wasn't spectacular. I think it is just a Russell Crowe thing for her. :D

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it, but the best parts IMO were all the combat scenes. Especially the one at the end... they seemed very realistic. And the part where Crowe cuts the guys juggular open was pretty... uhm... neat? ;)
Brian

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it on HBO and all I can say is that is was much better than I expected. i.e. enjoyable to watch on TV, but will never be in my film collection.

My offical rating: Not Bad

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Weird movie. Kind of like Castaway, where Helen Hunt gives up on Tom Hanks and gets remarried and has a kid. In Proof of Life Meg Ryan gives up on her husband being alive and starts macking on Russel Crowe. I don't like that aspect of the movie. :frowning:

The whole tabloid (Meg Ryan's marriage)aspect also contributed to making watching this movie feel awkard.
Jon

bill lopez

Second Unit
I loved it but I could tell the love scene was missing.
When they put out a Spec. Ed. with thise scenes I'll buy it on dvd.:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I found to to be an average film. I mildy enjoyed watching it but have no desire to see it agian. I would of liked it a little more if they had dropped the sappy stuff, It just seemed kind of tacked on in this flick.

A reserved thumbs up from me.

Nick

Second Unit
It was better than expected. I'm surprised it wasn't doing that good at the box office.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked it alot, and better than I thought it would be. It will go in my movie collection someday, but there are other movies ahead of it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i know people in the armed forces that rave at how authentic the combat scenes are. except the one scene where Crowe rolls down the hill and gets into the ready position with the gun right away. small point but otherwise a very accurate movie, combat-wise.

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
Good movie. Does anyone know the name of the song/artist/album that plays at the end of the movie and while the credits are rolling? I think it is Van Morrison, singing about "I'll be your king, you'll be my queen, etc."
I couldn't read print of the credits on my 27" TV and interlaced DVD player. Guess I will have to upgrade. :)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I bought it because I really like Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe, and it looked fairly appealing from the previews. All in all I was a bit let down by it and thought it to be average.

I liked it. Surprised it didn't do better. I agree with Brian, however. The "romantic" angle between Crowe and Ryan seemed forced and unnecessary. I never understood why Hollywood feels male and female leads MUST become involved at some point. The story revolves around him rescuing her husband! I think her romance with Crowe (in the film) took away from the romantic story already in place of her stopping at nothing to get her huband back.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
It was a good movie. A little slow but good. Nothing I would buy but I would like to see it again. On the other hand, I loved Enemy at the Gates. If they would have cut out 20 min of the love scenes it would have been perfect.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Was a boring movie. No tension, no romance, and so little action. Not much of a plot either and way too long.

Every time Meg Ryan appears, I would tell my wife:

"would someone please give her a bra!"

Her flat old lady's breast was really distracting for me. I don't know if her body has always been like a 60yr old lady, but it was really unnecessary for her to parade her body that way. I told my wife that I'm not watching another movie with Meg Ryan until she stops going braless in a tanktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks