What did they do to the Grinch!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Being a big fan of the animated Grinch, I rented the new DVD for the live action version. And all I have to say is: What did they do to the Grinch? The colors are gloomy, the decorations are tacky. They waste minutes and minutes with a backstory that goes nowhere. They don't even get to the plot of the original cartoon (and, of course, book) until [the last] 45 minutes. And even that is too drawn out to have any real impact. Despite some inspired casting choices (Anthony Hopkins made a great narrator and the girl who played Cindy Lou was the only character with any real warmth at all. Even Jim Carrey would have been a great Grinch had he a better script to work with.) The original was a story about the meaning of christmas and family. This version seems to add that as an afterthought.
    Anyone else think similiarly (or think I'm waaaaaaaaaaayyy off base?)
    EDIT: Forgot two words.

2. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

No way Adam, you're right on target! The movie, in my opinion, well...sucked. I wanted to turn the movie off 30 minutes into it! Jim Carey was is normal "crazy" self which in my opinion added little to his character. It's only when he calmed down and talked in a low almost whisper did his genius come through. The colors were indeed gloomy and the decorations stank. In general, I hated this movie and fail to see how it made so much money in the theaters. The only thing I liked was the sound. the DTS sound was excelent passing from speaker to speaker smoothly. That I was very happy about. Everything else just failed miserably. [​IMG]

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I hated The Mask...I mean The Grinch. I walked out of the theater angry after seeing this(and it was free, saw it with theater employees).

I thought Gary Sinise would have been a really great Grinch.A Jim Carrey fest in a green suit. I like Jim Carey but HATED HATED HATED what they did with this movie.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My kids convinced me to buy this sight unseen and ........... I hate it. I think Jim Carey was way over the top and frankly, I am getting a little tired of the clone performances of his. He could have taken the character out of any of his other films and dropped it into this one without much changes.

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Abosulutely! his over the top antics are not what this film needed. To quote from the original, this movie "Stink, Stank, Stunk!!!"[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    when i started watching the dvd i thought there was something wrong with my tv settings because it looked very washed out.
    other then the way it looks i still liked the movie. [​IMG][​IMG]1/2

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I thought The Grinch was pretty good. Sure, I grew up loving the animated HTGSC but I'm glad that Ron Howard didn't simply re-make it, word-for-word, shot-for-shot. Was Jim Carey over the top? Yes - but what did you expect? I don't particularly care for Carey's more "dramatic" films (judging from the trailer, The Majestic looks utterly BORING).
    I didn't pay to see The Grinch at the theater and I didn't buy the DVD, I rented it. I got my $4.00 out of it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

It seems like they are willing to put the wrong actor into the wrong part just for a bigger box office. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Jim Carrey, but his "Grinch" is all wrong. The Grinch isn't some hyper spaz, the Grinch is a pissed off, bitter creature. In fact, to be honest, this film didn't even need to get made. Nothing will top the original cartoon.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I fully expected to hate it, but actually enjoyed it for the most part. I'm kind of glad they muted the colors slightly. It grounded the elaborate production design just enough that it did not become headache inducing a la a Joel Schumacher Batman film.

Regards,

12. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My wife and I could only get through the first 30 minutes of the film when trying to watch this weekend. We could bare to watch no more and stopped the disc. Bad story, bad cinematography, bad acting/casting.

14. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm glad to see not everyone swallowed this garbage pail of a film. It's a total miscalculation on Howard's part, and a thoroughly unpleasant viewing experience.

I was stunned when this received some good reviews and favorable audience reactions. (I saw it three or four days before opening.) I thought The Grinch was a terrible, soulless movie that missed what was important in the original story.

15. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

This is the thread I was looking for!
    Tonight was my first viewing of the DVD. No, I never saw the movie in a theatre, and, no, I never saw the cartoon.
    I did read the book a few decades ago.
    There are many children's movies in my collection. My sense of humor is fully developed. I don't have any bias against Carrey or Howard.
    Grinch is ghastly bad.
    My standards are just going down the tube since I now have two young girls in the house. This weekend I rented The Olsen Twins Go To the Bahamas (Did I get the title wrong? Do I give a shit?) and this Grinch disaster. I'm going to hell for this. I'm walking by perfectly good films, Memento, Open Your Eyes, etc.....to rent this crap.
    Do NOT adjust your set, the Grinch is only vaguely a color movie. Now, there's an idea. I'll just turn the contrast all the way down and watch it in black & white.
    As it went on & on I just got madder, one failed gag after another.
    O.K.....I have hope. The girls have not seen Edward Scissorhands or The Nightmare Before Christmas. Will those be suitable for 6 & 8 year olds?
    Jim

16. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

17. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I got this as a freebie from Columbia House. I watched a half hour of it before I promptly removed it from my machine and put it on eBay. Life is too short to waste two hours on this miserable film.

18. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I didn't see this one in the theaters (thank God) didn't even rent it (thank God) I borrowed it from my Mom who though it was the best Christmas movie ever made(!) I though it was a big steaming pile of donkey crap. Dr. Suess must be getting dizzy in his grave.

19. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I did the all day pay-per-view for the Grinch. After an hour, my wife and I decided that we should watch something else. I really don't know what all they hype was about, the opinion of this movie is my house was that it was ... well to be nice, just bad.

"I know my opinions are not very popular, but then again, I'm not a very popular person" - From a monty python skit

20. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

This was by far one of the worst movies I watched in 2001.