What's new

What did I just buy? (1 Viewer)

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
In a sudden impulse buy, I picked up a Sony STR-GA9ESG receiver on ebay. Now I'm realizing that it might not have DD decoding capability. Not a huge deal, as I can pick up an outboard decoder, but it does add a few $ to what seemed like a great deal ($150) for a presumably high power and quality receiver.

Anyone know much about this model?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I did a quick search and only found this. I hope you don't use a learning remote. My guess is its not DD or DTS but hopefully it has inputs so you can add a decoder. If not, I would just try and resell it.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, this might have been a rash purchase. I use a One-for-All learning remote, so maybe I can send it in for re-programming. I'm pretty sure it's at least DD-ready, as the GA8ES definitely was.

We'll see - I'm sure I can use it somewhere.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you are trying to start your first HT, or if this was for a secondary location, but for the price you paid for it can certainly get you a new one with a little more money. Maybe you can talk to the seller and have him/her cancel the sale and he can repost it on ebay. I feel you shouldn't waste you time and money on this one.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I already have a HT setup, but I've always been underwhelmed with the performance of my Onkyo 575 receiver. The decoding side of it is fine, but it just doesn't seem that powerful, and the video switching is pretty lightweight, (lacking s-video). I have plenty of other uses for the Sony, especially since my kid killed the old Tecnics that we had on his DVD/Video game setup. I don't think it liked the 4ohm hatchback speaker box it was pushing!

Plus it gives me the excuse to sniff around for a decoder if I need one. Aren't the "9" series of ES receivers supposed to be excellent in the amp section? For receivers anyway.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I found the manual on Sony's site, it is just a pro logic unit. It has 5.1 inputs so you can add a DVD player with a built in decoder. There are many DVD players available with built in decoders for fairly cheap compared to what they used to cost.

"with 8 ohm load , both channels driven , from
20-20,000 hz, rated 120 watts per channel min rms power
with no more than .05% total harmonic distortion from 250
milliwatts to rated output."

"power output
Stereo mode 8ohms 20-20khz 120w +120w

Surround mode 8ohms at 1khz THD .8%

Front 120w/ch
center 120w/ch
rear 50w/ch

Dynamic Power
165w+165W 8ohms
250+250w 4ohms"

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
"power output
Stereo mode 8ohms 20-20khz 120w +120w

Surround mode 8ohms at 1khz THD .8%

Front 120w/ch
center 120w/ch
rear 50w/ch
Right there I wouldn't use this for HT - like a lot of pro-logic receivers it underpowers the rear channels (which was fine in pro-logic times) but you'd get short-changed with 5.1 material.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I'd definitely skip on this one since you can get a newer or new decent receiver with DD/DTS built in for a bit more money. Or use it for straight stereo in a 2nd or 3rd system.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If you want to keep it and the Onkyo has surround pre-outs, use the Sony perhaps to power the surrounds including creating a psuedo 6.1 set up.

Jared Neumann

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you I would just go aout and but a new receiver with DD they are rather inexpensive and would pretty much blow what you have away

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks