What's new

What decade is this? (1 Viewer)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
O.K., we got the 20s, 30s, 40s and so on.
What's the "proper" way to refer to this decade? Or for that matter the next?
Hey man, it's the tens and we still don't have Star Wars on DVD :) .

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It will probably end up being called "the two thousands", much like "the nineteen hundreds" or "the eighteen hundreds" While both are used to refer to their entire century, they are also used to refer to its first decade, by analogy with "the nineteen tens" or "eighteen fifties".

Regards,

Joe

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was supposed to be 'the double oughts". I think I heard that they called the 1900-09's that.

Glenn

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I like "The Zeros", but I think he's right. It will be the "Two Thousands"/2000s, just like it used to be the "Nineteen Hundreds"/1900s. Of course, when we get a little gray (grayer?) around the temples, we can talk about chatting on a forum ('what's that grandpa?', the kids will say from their jetpacks) way back in "let's see. I suppose that would have to have been in 'ought two'." :)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I suppose a related question is when will we start referring to the year as 'twenty-something' rather than 'two thousand and something'? How many people call the current year 'twenty-oh-two'?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
We'll start referring to the year as "twenty-something" in the year twenty-ten.

Personally, I like the term "twenty-aughts," though I don't think it will catch on.

(Edited to correct my stoopid spleling.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks