What could've happened

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Mar 5, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I have been programming my new pronto remote so I have been turning my equipment on and off alittle more than usual.

Anyway, I have a Sony STR-DA555ES and I was sitting next to it when I turned it on. When I did, there was a little pop sound and then I smelt that little metal smell. Kind of like when you are soldering something.

Everything seems to be working fine. So I can't figure out what could've fried. Thanks for the help.

Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That can't be good. Better grab a flashlight and take a look through the mesh to see if you can see something that is burnt. I suspect you will find out when trying to listen to a specific source and can't or when something is missing. It may be a capacitor on the incoming power line that went (if so equiped) which would not prevent the receiver from working, but might allow more A/C noise. Better to find out sooner than later.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

If your receiver is still under warranty (Sony is a minimum of two years, possibly five for ES models), don't mess with it and take/ship it to a Sony service center.

If it isn't under warranty, it can't hurt to open the thing up and see if you just blew a fuse. I doubt it, but you never know.

Removing the cover will void the warranty.