What's new

What could I expect from this dual Tempest setup? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
My current room is tiny (10x12) but soon I'll be moving to a basement room. It's 13x21x7' with concrete floors/walls and 3 narrow windows.

I have 1 SVS 20-39CSi and already I'm thirsting for more headroom in my small room. So moving to this larger room will definitely drop my SPL's.

So here's what I could move to with my budget.

2 large sonotube enclosures each with a tempest and as much porting as needed. My front "stage" will hide the subs so they can be 6' high if needed and 20 or 24" diameter (lotsa volume). The amp is my current Samson S700 with 350 watts into each 4 ohm load and I'll probably just put both subs together to couple them. I also have an ART351 eq with adjustable highpass for a bit of subsonic filtering. I may switch to the BFD but dunno yet.

Given that setup, what kind of SPL/extension can I expect? What size tubes would be sufficient, with what size port(s)?

After having heard my friend's dual contrabass servodrive setup (dual subs, each with 2 12's and 2 15PRs), I'm ready for similarly insane bass.

Note: Can't do an IB in this space, all the walls are cinderblock so there's nowhere to go.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Dual Tempests should be almost the equivalent of 4 SVS CSi subs.

The S700 will be way more power than you'll need, so you're definately good in the power department.

The simplest answer, and what I'd do if in your situation is to build a single large enclosure off of an allignment Dan posted a while ago.

24" sonotube roughly 72" tall resulting in a 480L enclosure. Driver and port on each endcap. Ports will be 6" pvc pipe tuning the enclosure to 16hz.

I believe Michael Strassberg (or is it a "u") build this sub. Search him out if you want some first hand experience of what it is capable if.

A 2000ft^7 room is still considered on the small side. And a the sub mentioned above would be very impessive in a room that size.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You could always go for a single tumult instead of dual tempest which would give you even more output. I'm running dual 220L tempests in my HT at the moment and would like to add more drivers or upgrade to a tumult as well. Sitting on a concret pad really dulls the sensation vs when the subs are on a wooden floor.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Ned,
Re the discussions on acoustic coupling here, I'd go with an exclosure that puts the two drivers as close as possible. Maybe an MDF box with the 2 Tempests side by side, or a 30-36" piece of Sonotube, putting both drivers on the same face.

Mounting the drivers next to each other is supposed to be worth an extra 3db, nothing to sneeze at.
HTH

Ned

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't a Tumult require a lot more power than 350 watts to match the output of dual tempests both getting 350? The Samson isn't stable into 2ohms and can't be used bridged at 4. The Tumult is also about 50% more expensive than a pair of Tempests.

I could also lay the sonotube on its side for more volume and to lessen driver sag. I'll never see this sub so the aesthetics are pretty irrelevant :)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i would try dual av15. i have them in a 700l box tuned to 17hz and powered by a sampson s1000. and my room is in the basement too. it is 25x15x7.5feet and this kicks

it will push past 120db@20hz and had it past 126 at50hz while testing.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Also, you might be waiting some time for the tumult or the AV15.

Dual tempests should be plenty!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With 64 ounces of polyfil (forgot to mention that part) in practice the standing wave isn't an issue. But definately no harm in going to 26, 28 or 30 inch tube. Just make sure it will fit through the door.

Micheal, that 3dB thing comes into effect when the drivers are within a 3rd of a wavelength of each other. So with bass frequencies being 6' will still result in the coupling over more or less the entire bandwidth the sub will be used.

I'd rather see the drivers placed opposite each other to cancel their mechanical forces on the enclosure.

The Tumult is very difficult to port though. For his use I think he'll want a bass reflex allignment.

As Anthony and Ned have said, the Tempest is the easiest, quickest and the S700 will have more than enough power for it.

The AV15 really should have a little more than 350 per driver, but it would still work well. The minuses are you'd have to get your hands on some 6" port flares for that driver, and you'll be waiting 10-12 weeks for the drivers. You should have a more capable amp for the Tumult, and passive radiators would add a lot to the cost.

Patrick_L

Second Unit

this is my friend's ht. front two are Tempests with bass blockers behind them. i think those are about 7 ft high.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I don't know Pete, maybe I'm putting to much faith in DanW. But if he recommends the design I don't think the 94hz half wavelength is an issue.

Plus Michael Strassberg has built one it wasn't an issue for him.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, I used right at 20 lbs of fill in my sonotube,(24"dia x 72 " int ht), ~ 1 lb per cu ft.

ps Patrick Urban Terror !!! look for mufhuggr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks