What's new

What could have caused this?! (washed out picture) (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Watched How To Train Your Dragon last weekend for the 2nd or 3rd time. About a third of the way into the movie, I noticed that the colors just seemed weak and not a saturated as i remembered from having seen the film previously. I kept thinking when we got to more outdoors scenes, it would punch up (first part of the film is night/dark)...it didn't.

We had guests, so while I was bummed about this, I was the only one who noticed so I let it roll until the end of the film.

When the movie was over, I got after it.

My system:
A Denon 5900 DVD sending direct HDMI signal up to a Marantz projector (I forget the model, but its older...VP12-S2 if I remmember right). Audio goes through an Anthem AVM-20, but that's not important here. Sending 720p. Yeah, kinda old school, but that's as far as this rig goes.

So I went to the back of the DVD player and unpluggued the HDMI cable with the credits rolling. Plugged it back in and BAM! color was rich and punchy. This has happened twice now.

What happened and why? Did the sync from DVD to PJ not lock in as I was flipping inputs at the start of the movie? Something less obvious? Could it happen again? What should I do to troubleshoot/prevent?!

Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
this should not have happened in a the middle of the flick.

there is a setting onthe PJs menus where you can select PC or Video.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
It didn't happen during, it was just like that all the way through. I had fiddled with the inputs before the film started, THought I had the input right, but maybe something didn't sync when I switched it over (DVD was playing at the time). I'll have to go back and fiddle with it to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
this should only happen if the source is switched and or the resolution is changed.

good luck!

Paul Gere

Second Unit
played around last night and I could re-produce only by hitting the wrong button on the projector remote while using the DVI/HDMI input. I think this is likely a "user error" situation. Feeling both stoopid and relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks