what could cause this problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ben hunt, Jul 5, 2002.

1. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

I received a pair of Axiom 60ti's today (whoopee me), My 3802 hasn't been received yet . So of course I get home from work and take a look at them (Factory Outlet but I couldn't find anything that is visible from 6 inches away) and decide to try and hook them up to an old integrated amp I have been running.

It is a Technics SU-V96 (from about 15 years ago) that still runs the same speakers that came with it.

I hooked up the Axioms to this amp...no sound at all. I disconnect the speakers and hooked them up another way (it's not those spring clips that I'm used to so I gotta wing it).

Now I din't have it blaring at all, I had it a 1 lit up led, still no sound so I push it up another 2 leds to 3, finally I hear a bit of sound but not as loud as it was if I had the older speakers still hooked up (which would be at a good listening level).

Then the sound cut off. There was probably 2 seconds MAX of sound then nothing. I tried hooking up the old speakers...still to no avail. (actually I just went down there and it worked).

No burning smell, no static or hiss, no popping.

The Axioms are rated 10/250 watts, 8 ohms...
    The old speakers rated at 300 watts
    The amp rated at 360 watts

I have no idea except that maybe I don't know how to properly attached the speaker wires or my amp was just overheating...never had it happen before.

2. LiorM

LiorM Agent

It sounds like an impedance problem.
    Is the old amp rated 4 ohm or 8 ohm ?
    It also can be a defective speaker.
    Try to hook them one at a time and see what happens.
    Cheers ...

3. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like you have your wires crossed, are you sure you don't have one speaker hooked to both negative terminals and the other to both positive, also check you a/b speaker switch

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Or perhaps a connection jimmy-ed loose in transit...this has happened to me on two separate occasions, both with an Axiom center channel speaker. Nothing against Axiom though...sometimes, they just get knocked around a little during shipping!

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This is not an impedance mismatch problem
    Let's see if I've got this right. You got new speakers, hooked them up to your old receiver (not familiar with it) and got sound for a moment, but it was faint and then just cut out. To make sure the receiver didn't suddenly die, you hooked it back up to your old speakers and didn't get sound at first but then got sound. This correct? If so, this would suggest the problem lies either with the receiver or the wires.
    #1...easiest...examine your wires carefully both visually and by running your fingers across the length. make sure there's no breaks or cracks and you're not dealing with a short. If your wires are terminated somehow (pins, bananas, spades, etc.) there's a possibility that you've a crappy connection. Cold solder joint, corrosion...something amiss. If you can, consider trimming about 1/4" off each end to expose fresh wire and reconnect.

#2 issues at the receiver end...could be some corrosion/oxidation at the point your wires hook up. examine it visually. take appropriate action if need be.

let us know how you're making out