What could be the problem w/ this sub???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ivan M, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Ivan M

Ivan M Auditioning

I have an old quest sub (about 3 yrs, been out of HT for a while), that I haven't had the pleasure of enjoying due to neighbours (gotta love living in a townhouse). I'm getting a little excited for a new widescreen in the next few months, so I've been tweaking around my sound system to get it sounding good (It's loud enough for my purposes, Damn neighbours!). The sub is my only hiccup, it doesn't seem to want to work. It seems as though it's not getting any signal, it's hooked up to the subwoofer RCA jack on my old RCA receiver (gotta upgrade that soon to), and when I set it to auto on it doesn't turn on. I don't see the driver moving during movies or music. I'm wondering if the RCA jack on my receiver is NFG, or if it's SUB, I do have a passive sub hooked up to the receiver, but there's still no response when I unplug that. I'm pretty good w/ electronics, and would be ok cracking 'er open to take a look, but I wouldn't know where to start. HELP!!![​IMG]

2. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Make sure that the subwoofer output is turned on in the menu for the receiver and that its level is up and not like -10. One easy way to test the sub is hook it up to the left or right analog output from a CD or DVD player. Make sure you have the volume on the sub turned down before playing the CD or DVD then turn it up to see if it kicks on. If you still have the manual for the receiver check in there and make sure there isnt a setting needed for the subwoofer to work.

Ryan

3. Ivan M

Ivan M Auditioning

Hey,

4. Ivan M

Ivan M Auditioning

Hey,

I tested out the driver today, took out the amp and the speaker and hooked up the passive output to the driver and it worked fine. The input into the amp is switching on in auto mode, so I think the problem is somewhere in the output on the amp board. Not sure if it's a loose wire, or a blown resistor or something....