What contact lenses are available these days?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest Aguayo, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of going back to contact lenses after a 10 year hiatus.

I am out of the loop: how have they improved in the past decade? ie, what kind should I consider buying to avoid these problems I had last time I wore them:

- Didn't like the hassle of daily cleaning (I am thinking of disposables. Is the cost of disposables about the same as "regular" lenses plus the cleaning supplies anyway? How often do you have to take disposables out? What's the daily ritual like?)

- My biggest complaint was how uncomfortable they would get by the end of the day. Do lenses these days not get as "tired" as easily? Do they "breath" better? I am looking for lenses that feel like I am not wearing lenses.

- I have astigmatism, which I think limited my lense options previously, but I believe there are more options today?

Any advice or specific brand info from veteran wearers would be greatly appreciated. Any websites I should check out too?

Thanks!!!

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I don't know what contacts were like 10 years ago (I've been wearing them for 5 years), but I don't have any complaints with mine today.

I have astigmatism (yes, contacts work very well for that these days) and wear Focus Monthly lenses. I get six pairs for $118 (contacts.com) and wear each pair for about 1-2 months. I never clean them (other than a rinse) and they rarely cause me any discomfort, even after wearing them for 16 hours or more.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've been wearing contacts for a bit more than 5 years. I have astigmatism as well. I used to wear hard contacts, but recently (I think) they came out with soft contacts for people with astigmatism. I think they're better than hard contacts; I used to play tennis, and when it was sunny outside, I wore sunglasses. However, they didn't cover up my entire eye, so some sun got exposed to my eye, and it dried up my contacts, making them painful to wear. I haven't had any problems like that with my soft contacts, but granted, I haven't played tennis much since I switched, or did any other stuff that required me to be out in the sunlight like that with the sunlight getting into my eyes where the sunglasses didn't cover it.

Anyways, I'm supposed to change them every 1-2 months like Steve, but my mom says that she's worn them for six months to as long as a year. My eye doctor said that she could get eye damage that way, but my mom is fine so far. I've been wearing my current pair for a bit more than 3 months. After wearing them for a long time (16 hours or so), they do start to wear out, get blurry, but it's not too bad and I don't feel any pain. When I'm done for the day, I put them in the case with solution (no cleaning), and when I put them on, I rinse them with water and solution and presto! That's that.

4. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for this info, guys!

5. John Harrison

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I think I'll replace my current pair tomorrow...[​IMG]
    Thanks for the heads up, John. My eye doctor never said why he didn't recommend wearing the same pair for more than 1-2 months, he just said that me and my mom shouldn't be doing that. But then again, I didn't ask him to elaborate...[​IMG]

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have a slight astigmatism and wear Softlens 66 Toric lenses by Bausch & Lomb. They get replaced every two weeks, but I remove them nightly to soak them in a disinfecting solution. Several manufacturers produce toric lenses. I'd advise you to find a solid eyecare professional that will let you try samples of different brands. I know I tried five different brands of torics before I settled on the Softlens 66. Each brand had a different level of comfort and I was grateful to be able to find the best fit.