What constitutes a "Home Theater?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    So, what is the definition of "home theater?" Is it having a 5.1 set up and a big screen TV? What if someone has a wonderful sounding audio system and only a 27" television? Or, what if someone has a 55" television and pro-logic sound only? Does that fit the definititon of home theater?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I would say at least some type of surround sound setup, even if its Pro Logic. Subwoofer is optional.
    I also think the monitor should be at least 32 inches.

3. Sania M

Sania M Agent

gone
    [Edited last by Sania M on November 16, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

There are multiple levels of HT. By some definations, I do not have a HT system because I have a 27" tv. However, the audio side of things does qualify. Personally, I think a HT system would consist of any tv (as long as it works) and something that you can use to listen to it other than the built in speakers. That is the simplist definition of a HT system. Ideally it would consist of a s-video capable tv, dvd player and/or vcr, receiver capable of DD (preferably DD 5.1, DTS, etc.), optical and/or digital coax connection, and 5.1 speakers. To me, a 13" b&w tv connected to an awia mini-system may qualify as a HT system, even if it isn't a good one.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think any TV with a device that you can watch movies with at your leisure (VCR, DVD, laserdisk etc) and amplified sound would qualify as a HT in my books although those minimum requirements would constitute a poor HT but a HT no less.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    IMO a "home theater" consists of a surround sound system (preferably at least 5.1 DD and DTS capable,)a TV, and a video playback device (ie. DVD player or Laserdisc.)
    ------------------
    -Keith-
    My DVD's

7. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I think that the minimum equipment to qualify as a "Home Theater" is a 27" television, a media playback device (VCR, DVD, LD, etc) and a surround system (Pro-Logic is acceptable).
    To say that 5.1 (DD/DTS) is required is a little too limiting. There are still some "real" theaters out there that don't have that.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well when I attached speakers to my big old 26incher (quite painful I can tell ya), and the sound came out loud and stereophonically for me it became a sort of home theater thingy, ok ok adding popcorn and dimming the lights was a good touch, and tripping over the cat on the way to the sofa was a bonus....

9. Sania M

Sania M Agent

gone
    [Edited last by Sania M on November 16, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

11. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

A home theater is a theater in a home. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Johan, didn't your teachers ever tell you not to define a word by using that word? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

13. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I never listened in school. [​IMG]
    My personal definition of a home 'theater' is a dedicated room with a display that maintains the size/distance ratio of a cinema and surround sound.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

14. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I have a $25,000 2 channel A/V system, but since it's not "surround sound," I guess I don't have a "Home Theater." I think I'd better go down to Best Buy and get me one of those $199 HT in a box with 5.1 DD and DTS so that I can qualify.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

15. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

A home theater is simply a display device, a means of amplifying the sound from external speakers, and a desire to see movies the way they were seen in theaters. Some people may have a HT on their computer. I think HT is more of an attitude than an equipment list.
    Would "Person A" with a 50" projection TV, DTS/DD receiver, but who chooses to watch only MARred films have any more of an HT than "Person B" with a 32" tube, a solid stereo with seperates, and only watches OAR. I don't know about you, but I'd rather attend a viewing at "Person B"'s house.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

16. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    A home theater is anything that attempts to reproduce theater settings in the home.
    To do it WELL, requires a large screen (larger the better, assuming equal clarity, if you want to simulate a movie theater sized screen). surround setup - that should reproduce the sound system the movie was recorded in (DTS, DD5.1, whatever) with speakers that should give the same impact as a theater's speakers, etc and a good source that will play a movie without external problems (like tape when you are recording a movie and it's been worn out due to use, or a dvd player that is prone to jitter). If you go along those lines for every component and the more closely it resembles a movie theater, the better. And we all want better!
    Heck, what constitutes a golf club? you can play golf with a stick and a tennis ball if you want, but to do it better, you would need an iron and a putter, or even better would be a full set of clubs, or even better would be a full set of calaway clubs, spiked golf shoes, a caddy, a world class golf course, top of the line balls, etc etc.
    My point is, if all you can afford is a 13" tv, no source, and an antenna to receive local channels that only broadcast movies on a nightly, or weekly basis, with mono sound and no remote control, but it's all you can afford and you are (relatively) happy with it, then THAT is a home theater. If you say it is NOT, then THAT is eliteism. Period. Of course if you can do it BETTER, than that is a BETTER hometheater. and all of us in this hobby are consistently after bigger, better, and truer to source. And THAT's where the fun of this hobby is! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    McPaul.
    [Edited last by Paul McGowan on November 15, 2001 at 12:49 AM]

17. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Good post Paul! The Golf Club thing was funny. You could also play Tennis with a golf ball(that would be interesting)
    I think what constitutes a HT is:
    1.A DVD or LD Player with the ability to play OAR movies.(TV size doesn't matter, and OAR VHS is OK)
    2.At least Pro logic capability.(4 spkrs,and Sub, Phantom mode OK)
    3.The ability to sufficiently darken the room to the point where light will not be a distraction.
    4.A couch or comfy seat positioned at a reasonable distance from the TV.
    And I think that's it, I would consider this HT.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

18. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    A good monitor, that is properly calibrated with either 'Video Essentials' or 'AVIA' 27" or larger, a Sony VVega is preferable so even though it's a 27" it's a GREAT 27".
    A properly calibrated multi channel audio set up of some type either Pro Logic or DD and DTS.
    A dvd player of course, connected to the monitor via either s-video or componant video.
    A full compliment of speakers, all timbre matched to one another, and preferably from the same manufacturer.
    A killer powered subwoofer placed properly in the room.
    If you MUST have a vcr in the mix, an s-vhs model is preferable.
    Decent wiring, none of that cheap stuff. Your system is only as good as the wiring used to connect it.
    An elitist attitude. [​IMG]
    And ABOVE ALL, an undying devotion to OAR, no room for substitution's their!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

20. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

A Mike Knappism:
    If Everything is a Home Theater, Then Nothing is a Home Theater.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's