What's new

What constitutes a "Home Theater?" (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
So, what is the definition of "home theater?" Is it having a 5.1 set up and a big screen TV? What if someone has a wonderful sounding audio system and only a 27" television? Or, what if someone has a 55" television and pro-logic sound only? Does that fit the definititon of home theater?
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I would say at least some type of surround sound setup, even if its Pro Logic. Subwoofer is optional.
I also think the monitor should be at least 32 inches.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
There are multiple levels of HT. By some definations, I do not have a HT system because I have a 27" tv. However, the audio side of things does qualify. Personally, I think a HT system would consist of any tv (as long as it works) and something that you can use to listen to it other than the built in speakers. That is the simplist definition of a HT system. Ideally it would consist of a s-video capable tv, dvd player and/or vcr, receiver capable of DD (preferably DD 5.1, DTS, etc.), optical and/or digital coax connection, and 5.1 speakers. To me, a 13" b&w tv connected to an awia mini-system may qualify as a HT system, even if it isn't a good one.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think any TV with a device that you can watch movies with at your leisure (VCR, DVD, laserdisk etc) and amplified sound would qualify as a HT in my books although those minimum requirements would constitute a poor HT but a HT no less.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
IMO a "home theater" consists of a surround sound system (preferably at least 5.1 DD and DTS capable,)a TV, and a video playback device (ie. DVD player or Laserdisc.)
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I think that the minimum equipment to qualify as a "Home Theater" is a 27" television, a media playback device (VCR, DVD, LD, etc) and a surround system (Pro-Logic is acceptable).
To say that 5.1 (DD/DTS) is required is a little too limiting. There are still some "real" theaters out there that don't have that.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well when I attached speakers to my big old 26incher (quite painful I can tell ya), and the sound came out loud and stereophonically for me it became a sort of home theater thingy, ok ok adding popcorn and dimming the lights was a good touch, and tripping over the cat on the way to the sofa was a bonus....

JohanK

Second Unit
A home theater is a theater in a home. :)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

JohanK

Second Unit
I never listened in school. :)
My personal definition of a home 'theater' is a dedicated room with a display that maintains the size/distance ratio of a cinema and surround sound.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have a $25,000 2 channel A/V system, but since it's not "surround sound," I guess I don't have a "Home Theater." I think I'd better go down to Best Buy and get me one of those $199 HT in a box with 5.1 DD and DTS so that I can qualify.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

William Ward

Supporting Actor
A home theater is simply a display device, a means of amplifying the sound from external speakers, and a desire to see movies the way they were seen in theaters. Some people may have a HT on their computer. I think HT is more of an attitude than an equipment list.
Would "Person A" with a 50" projection TV, DTS/DD receiver, but who chooses to watch only MARred films have any more of an HT than "Person B" with a 32" tube, a solid stereo with seperates, and only watches OAR. I don't know about you, but I'd rather attend a viewing at "Person B"'s house.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
A home theater is anything that attempts to reproduce theater settings in the home.
To do it WELL, requires a large screen (larger the better, assuming equal clarity, if you want to simulate a movie theater sized screen). surround setup - that should reproduce the sound system the movie was recorded in (DTS, DD5.1, whatever) with speakers that should give the same impact as a theater's speakers, etc and a good source that will play a movie without external problems (like tape when you are recording a movie and it's been worn out due to use, or a dvd player that is prone to jitter). If you go along those lines for every component and the more closely it resembles a movie theater, the better. And we all want better!
Heck, what constitutes a golf club? you can play golf with a stick and a tennis ball if you want, but to do it better, you would need an iron and a putter, or even better would be a full set of clubs, or even better would be a full set of calaway clubs, spiked golf shoes, a caddy, a world class golf course, top of the line balls, etc etc.
My point is, if all you can afford is a 13" tv, no source, and an antenna to receive local channels that only broadcast movies on a nightly, or weekly basis, with mono sound and no remote control, but it's all you can afford and you are (relatively) happy with it, then THAT is a home theater. If you say it is NOT, then THAT is eliteism. Period. Of course if you can do it BETTER, than that is a BETTER hometheater. and all of us in this hobby are consistently after bigger, better, and truer to source. And THAT's where the fun of this hobby is! :)
------------------
McPaul.
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on November 15, 2001 at 12:49 AM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Good post Paul! The Golf Club thing was funny. You could also play Tennis with a golf ball(that would be interesting)
I think what constitutes a HT is:
1.A DVD or LD Player with the ability to play OAR movies.(TV size doesn't matter, and OAR VHS is OK)
2.At least Pro logic capability.(4 spkrs,and Sub, Phantom mode OK)
3.The ability to sufficiently darken the room to the point where light will not be a distraction.
4.A couch or comfy seat positioned at a reasonable distance from the TV.
And I think that's it, I would consider this HT.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A good monitor, that is properly calibrated with either 'Video Essentials' or 'AVIA' 27" or larger, a Sony VVega is preferable so even though it's a 27" it's a GREAT 27".
A properly calibrated multi channel audio set up of some type either Pro Logic or DD and DTS.
A dvd player of course, connected to the monitor via either s-video or componant video.
A full compliment of speakers, all timbre matched to one another, and preferably from the same manufacturer.
A killer powered subwoofer placed properly in the room.
If you MUST have a vcr in the mix, an s-vhs model is preferable.
Decent wiring, none of that cheap stuff. Your system is only as good as the wiring used to connect it.
An elitist attitude.
wink.gif

And ABOVE ALL, an undying devotion to OAR, no room for substitution's their!
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

RicP

Screenwriter
A Mike Knappism:
If Everything is a Home Theater, Then Nothing is a Home Theater.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks