What connects do you use for the connection from amp to pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I believe it is an rca cable, but I want to know what specific brands you guys use. Do you use high quality stuff? Do amps come with connects that are good? Any brands or links would be appreciated.

2. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Allen...

I use custom 4-meter Monster-1000i's for my seven amps. No spk hiss/noise what-so-ever.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I asked the same question a month or so in anticipation of my separate amplifier. Answer: Just about anything...it's an analog audio interconnect and even RG6 will work.
    Since I dont buy big amps every day, I splurged on CatCables BlueTigers and feel good about it. Outlaw cables also are really nice. BetterCables. Rhino. Want economy? See AR Pro here.
    Decide on yr budget and get what you think are well-shielded, solid cables.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My amplifier came with 5 cables for this connection and I use those to go from the pre/pro tp the ICBM. From the ICBM to the amplifier I use AudioQuest turquoise cables. Good quality but not very expensive.

5. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

jpslabs ultraconducters....compares with the better models of kimber and audioquest...however much cheaper.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You'll get a wide range of oppinion's on what you should use but there's generally a wide range of interconnects that will all pass the line level signal from the pre to the amp the only difference is sound quality and price (not necessarily a linear relationship) Anyway since you asked I have gone though using Radio Shack golds to IXOS to my current SilverCats from www.catcables.com Simply put I've found these to offer untouchable detail and have a build quality I'm comfortable with. They obviously aren't for everybody but I really appreicate their locking RCA's having almost ripped off a few RCA's off the back of my gear before.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I use the AR Pro interconnects between my Yamaha HTR-5280 and Parasound HCA-855a. I found them cheapest herewww.ac4l.com. I received them like 2 or 3 days after I placed the order(pretty fast)!
    I did a comparison between Radio Shack Gold, Monster Cable Interlink 400 something, and the AR Pro. I found the AR Pro to provide the most pleasing and revealing sound(they also look nice if that matters to you). The Monster I felt was BY FAR worst sounding! Funny that it's the most expensive. The RS came in a very close second, pretty good at only $5 each. The only thing with the RS cables was that if felt like I was going to rip the connector from my receiver off when disconnecting. These things really, really grip on tight. You might want to take some needle nose pliers and kind of stretch them outwards a tiny bit.

8. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Definitely check out CatCables....

I own several of those and am very pleased with them.

I wouldn't even call it splurging to to buy them... they are very reasonably priced for a quality cable.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I will be using Outlaw .5m PCA cables between my Yamaha RX-V596 receiver/pre-pro and Sherbourn 5/1500A, when it arrives. I also use Outlaw interconnects in the rest of my system.

10. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Allen, Thought I'd share my experience as well.
    I have a Musical Fidelity A3cr Dual-Mono Amp and Preamp and use SilverCats from www.Catcables.com for my connections. I also use them to connect my Cambridge Audio D500-SE CD Player to my Pre-amp and let me tell you the differences I noticed over my previously "High-End" Monster's I was using.
    DETAIL, RESOLUTION, DYNAMICS, they all increased. Build quality is TOP NOTCH...but the real nice thing is the service the owner and "hand builder" of each and every cable, Doug, gives you through the entire process!
    Check them out, you won't be dissapointed.
    E
    *Edited for Ric [​IMG] *

11. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I use MIT Terminator 2 Interconnects from pre/pro to amp.
    The filter tames the brightness inherent in my system a bit and they work fabulously.

12. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Guys,

Interesting info. My question to you is what type of cable material are these made out of. RG6/RG59 or twisted pair? I posted a similar question on HT basics forum and got one recommendation.

Is there much difference in the use of coax vs. twisted pair? I'm trying to decide on which ones to use also between my future pre/pro and amp. I'm also leaning towards AR Pro interconnects.

Thanks, Bob

13. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Bob, the Silvercats use Triple braieded 99.99% solid silver wire covered in...ah shoot here are the specs:

Chrome exterior locking barrel RCA connectors

(electroplated gold contact points), with hand

painted stripes.

Special recipe 4% Silver Solder of the highest quality

Black and red heat shrink with clearcat custom logos

Triple braied 22 awg 99.99% solid silver wire.

Clearcat Exterior to protect the delicate braid,

and to give the cable lasting beauty.

Hope this helps!

E

14. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Bob-N, I never recommend coax for audio applications, unless it's digital audio, then 75 ohm video grade coax is recommended for the audio. But for analog audio, that's rated at 50 ohms, I recommend something with more surface area than coax, and a cable designed to carry the frequencies of audio optimally. Yes, before the "coax is the same" crowd jumps on me, 75 ohm coax is capable of carrying audio, but that doesn't make it the right cable for the job.

Regarding Ric's comment:

It would seem the classification as "very high end", is a subjective matter as I don't believe that's a valid stereophile classification, that's for sure. I for one am very impressed by Music Fidelity gear. A recent ad on the back of a magazine describes it as jewelry for your eyes and ears. That doesn't appear to be far from the truth, as it sure is pretty stuff. It's awesome looking gear, and I bet sounds great as well. Though I have had no personal experience with it. Price is, or should never be the only indicator of true quality, nor should brand name. It's what your ears hear.

Classify as you wish-

Lex

15. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I use StraightWire interconnects on all of my gear (digital Coax, speaker wire, and amp interconnects).

StraightWire "Laser-Link" from pre/pro to amplifier.

Great stuff, sounds good, locking jacks (very nice, I agree with Andrew), and cost is reasonable....$100-$150/pr. for 3 meters.

Jeremy

16. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

17. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I use DH Labs Silversonic BL-1 interconnects. Reasonably priced for such great wire.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In my main stereo system, I use Audioquest Diamondback interconnects between an NAD C 370 integrated amp and NAD C 270 power amp (biamped configuration). I also use the Diamondback interconnect in place of the stock jumpers on the C 370 and with my Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player, SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer (stereo analog outputs), and Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player (stereo analog outputs). These cables noticeably better than Monster cables I had been using previously and are built very well. Check out www.amusicdirect.com for good prices (you have to call).

19. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I've been using Tara Labs and I'm very happy with the sound out of them. Much better than the Straight Wires I used to have. I can't remember the name of the cable I'm running, the ran me about $150/m for two meter pairs.

I'm seriously considering giving Transparent or MIT a try to take advantage of their networks.

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I use Groneberg interconnects purchased from Klaus at Odyssey Audio (where I also bought my Stratos stereo amp). They are terminated with WBT locking connectors and sound great with the amp.
    Here's the site, but the pics for the cables are not up yet...
    http://www.odysseyaudio.com/