What's new

What connections should i use? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I recently got a new 36" JVC FLAT HDTV. Rihgt now I am only using white, red, and yellow connections from receiver to tv.

Obviously coming from the cable in my wall going directly to the tv, how would i get a better picture?

Wouldnt i have to get a dvd with s-video or component conections to get better picture quality?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, you would have to. The best connection to use wtih an HDTV would be component video. It is sort of like those red, white, and yellow connections that you have now, but all the cables are used for video. Make sure that your TV has a component connection, then go look for a DVD player with it.

If anyone wants to expand on what I just said, then go right ahead.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If all you have now is cable, then a DVD player will provide a better image no matter how you connect it.

M.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Obviously coming from the cable in my wall going directly to the tv, how would i get a better picture?
you can't. the cable is your only means of getting a picture to the tv, so you're stuck.

like michael said, a dvd will provide a better picture. if your dvd player is progressive-scan, then you can expect an even better picture - provided you hook it up using the component connections.

if you're absolutely focused on getting the best possible picture, then be sure you route the video cabling directly to the tv, bypassing the receiver.

going through the receiver has other benefits, but it does add the possibility that your signal will be degraded.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Tony, Michael and Ted have already commented about using a DVD player to get a better picture.

I assume that your cable box only has composite (the yellow RCA plug) as a video output. This limits (as has already been pointed out the quality of your picture when you are using your set as a TV.

However, there are some options. It may be that your cable company has a digital service—some do, although most do not. Or even a HD service, although not many do.

If they do, you can upgrade your service from your cable company—they will provide a new cable box with S-Video or component (mandatory for HD) outputs and you can use those connections.

Another option would be to switch to a satellite service—but make sure that you get a satellite receiver with component outputs (an HD box) and you can have better video connections. You can also get 5.1 audio from these receivers.

Finally you can decide to get an HD receiver (this can be in conjunction with your satellite service—or just stand alone) and get local HD and digital telecasts from your local stations over the air. Of course you will need an antenna in this case (although an indoor one may suffice, depending on where you live).

hitendra

Grip
You could even consider a receiver which has an upgrade feature - this basically upgrades a composite signal (the yellow RCA cable) to S-video and/or composite.

So, your yellow cable would be an input to this recevier and the output would be the component video (the 3 cables mentioned in earlier posts).

For example, the Denon 3803 does up-conversion. There are other models as well from companies like Onkyo, Yamaha etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks