What connections inputs/outputs does my reciever need for SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    The topic says it all. I'm really thinking of buying a SACD player fr my system and I'd like to know what connections my reciever needs to do Multi Channel music with the SACD player. Will a normal Opical input do the job? thanks.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

You'll need a 6-channel input (5.1 I suppose) to do multichannel SACD because SACD players only output SACD in analog. The digital connection wouldn't work.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

I think Yohan moght be wrong, I was just looking at a Sony 775 and it had, 1 tos link out and one set of RCA out, no 5.1 outputs look here at the specs-click me!

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

He's not. The Toslink provided will not pass SACD information to the reciever. You must use the 6 channel outs to a 6 channel in. The player will do the decoding and pass that straight to the amp for amplification.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, Jeremy and Yohan are correct. You must use the 5.1-channel outputs for multi-channel SACD, and the 'CE775 has them. For stereo SACD, you can use the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs or the stereo analog outputs, which the 'CE775 also has. The optical digital output (Toslink) only works for CD.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am looking into DVD-A and SACD. Both require 6 analog connections.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, I assume your receiver or pre/pro only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs, hence your post. However, Radio Shack sells an A/V switch box that will work to switch between DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. Actually, you need two of these boxes for this application, but they only sell for $15 each. The part number is 15-1952. I use them and observe no sound degradation. Search this site for '15-1952' to see how these boxes are used.

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

ChrisWatson, only DVD-A supports 5.1 multi-channel sound by default. SACD however, comes in 2 forms - stereo and multi-channel, so does not REQUIRE 6 analog connections per se.

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Of course, if you want only stereo SACD, then you could use 2 analog connections. I would think most folks would want at least the option of using multi-channel capabilities if they go with SACD.

10. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Ok in a new wrinkle to this thread, I got an Apex 3201 and that has HDCD. What's that and is it 5.1 too?

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scooter asked:

12. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    ok I'm still a little confused. If I buy the CE-775 is it going to plug in to my Multi Ch.In on my reciever to Multi Channel SACD and than plug into the normal CD player in on my reciever to do stereo SACD. Than what does the Toslink out do?

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Keith, you can run RCA cables between the stereo analog outputs on the 'CE775 to the CD inputs on your receiver for CDs and stereo SACDs or you can use the front left and right jacks on the 5.1-channel outputs to the 5.1-channel inputs on your receiver for stereo discs. The digital output can be used for CDs instead of the analog outputs. The digital output cannot be used for SACDs.

You could compare the sound quality of CDs using the digital output (i.e., using the receiver's DAC), the stereo analog outputs to the CD inputs on the receiver, and the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs to the 5.1-channel inputs on your receiver. Likewise, you could compare the sound quality of stereo SACDs using the stereo analog outputs and the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs. Note that when you use the stereo analog outputs or the 5.1-channel outputs, you are using the DAC in the 'CE775.

So, you could run six RCA cables from the 5.1-channel outputs for CDs, stereo SACDs, and multi-channel SACDs. Alternatively, you could run two RCA cables from the stereo analog outputs for CDs and stereo SACDs and six RCA cables from the 5.1-channel outputs for multi-channel SACDs. Finally, you could run an optical digital cable for CDs and use the analog outputs for SACDs (using the stereo analog outputs or the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs for stereo SACDs).