What's new

What computer should I buy in 2017? (1 Viewer)

What computer should I buy in 2017?

• Upgrade your outdated iMac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPad Pro (Desktops are so 2015)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I never had any problems synching iphones on our PC's. But I guess it's not needed anymore like the "old days". My daughter had never plugged her iphone 6 into a pc ever.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's less important. But I believe in multiple backups. (For example: if your daughter' iPhone dies, will she lose all her photos? Happened to a friend's teen daughter right before Christmas. )

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For video work, how does a FireWire camcorder compare to an iPhone recording 4K videos?

I don't have an iPhone that can shoot at 4K, so that's kind of a moot point for me. The camcorder is 1080, which is more than enough for my needs. My older camcorder is 480, but it's not about the resolution, it's about the content captured on it. I have so much existing material, whether it's family home movies going back a couple generations or school projects, that I don't need on a daily basis but that I want to preserve my access to. Most of this material lives on tape that can then be played via FireWire from my camera to the computer for editing. I don't want to lose that ability.

In my experience comparing the 1080 camcorder to the 1080 video from my iPhone, the camcorder wins, hands down, everytime. The images are significantly nicer, and the camcorder is more comfortable to use for extended periods (which admittedly doesn't happen much anymore).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you don't mind, why don't you digitize all your tapes? Then they'd be available for easy viewing, could be backed up on and offsite, and I assume could be edited easier with a modern all-digital workflow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you don't mind, why don't you digitize all your tapes? Then they'd be available for easy viewing, could be backed up on and offsite, and I assume could be edited easier with a modern all-digital workflow.

I don't mind at all, it's a reasonable question. There are lots of reasons, some of which probably make more sense than others. Honestly, I'm more comfortable with tape as an archival medium. At my job, for instance, we do a lot of video archiving, and all of the tapes from 40 years ago always play fine. But digital files from 10 years ago don't always; sometimes they don't play after a much quicker period. It's a lot easier for the digital data to be corrupted. I feel confident that if I store my tapes in the proper manner that I'll be able to play them indefinitely; I have no such confidence with digital files on hard drives. The only thing one can do in that situation is to spin up the drives to check them regularly, and make regular backups of those drives. It doesn't necessarily seem efficient or practical to me.

I kinda wish Apple had one or two computers in their lineup that they could designate as "legacy compatible" or something. Include the optical drive and older connectors as options. Maybe those models are a little heavier or a little less thin, but so what? I'm not an old guy, so I'm a little surprised to already be at that "get off my lawn" stage in my computing life, but I'm just not as obsessed with lighter, thinner, faster as the manufacturers are. Whether it's the MBP or the iPhone, or other computer brands, it seems they're all moving away from the features I find useful in favor of ones I don't. And I find I'm less interested in the latest shiny new toy and more interested in what works conveniently and lasts as I get older. I suspect that for better or worse, this is going to keep happening for me and the things I enjoy and use. :(

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
FireWire for my camcorders. I don't do a ton of video stuff anymore, but wouldn't want to get into a situation where that stuff was no longer accessible. I also have about a dozen drives that are FireWire only - don't want to rebuy that many to migrate the data over.

As long as you have a free Thunderbolt port, you can add Firewire 800 via adapter(s) or via a dock. The 12" Retina MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt, but the rest of the machines do.

Getting a computer with a Firewire port isn't a complete solution to keeping existing video accessible. New MiniDV and Digital8 camcorders are, as far as I can tell, extinct. If one of yours breaks, you may find it hard to get repairs or a new replacement. Your ability to read tapes might depend on your luck in finding something used, but working.

Speaking of which, I should probably go and make hard-disk-based backups of mine…

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
David:
I know this sounds like an obvious question, but did you max out the RAM in your MBP? If not, you really should do that. That's the single-best thing you can do to boost your speed.

Also, you say you don't necessarily need all the extra power, etc. of a new Mac, so I have to wonder, why even worry about it? I use my Macs for graphic design work (besides the normal everyday stuff) and my Core2Duo 2009 17" MBP running El Capitan is plenty good enough for my home use. I don't find it sluggish at all. I have maxed out my RAM and this Mac has a fusion drive inside, so if you have the original 42k-ish HDD inside, I'd definitely replace that, too, either with a fusion, an SSD, or a 10k HDD. In past Mac laptops, I always replaced the stock drive with a faster one.

Both those upgrade should make a world of difference, and you won't have to give up your screen size.

Like you, I like my 17" screen and am reluctant to downgrade back down to a 15" screen (especially a widescreen one). I need the extra real estate for my design stuff (yes, I also have a desktop at home--a Mac Pro--but I can't very well use that in the living room in front of the TV with the wife).

I have no burning desire to move to Sierra (I only just recently migrated from Snow Leopard, and not because I wanted to, but because I had to for software reasons). If I ever have to move beyond El Capitan, I might take a look at a used 2011 i7 17" MPB (the last model they made in that size). If you still want the 17" screen and feel compelled to go to Sierra, you might want to seriously consider going that route instead of a new 15" one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My 24" iMac is maxed out at 8GB RAM. I want to replace it because it's slow. Even my wife has commented on how slowly it responds. Switching apps can make it beachball for seconds.

Open-heart surgery to replace the hard drive with an SSD would probably improve it a lot. But I'm not excited to spend $150 and a weekend of my free time on a seven year old computer.

And I'd still be stuck at macOS El Capitan, and without usb3.

If the assumed iMac refresh comes in really expensive or just a bad fit for me, I'll take a second look at upgrading old hardware or other options.

Or if there's an iPad upgrade that's must-have, I could be swayed to upgrade the old iMac to afford the new iPad.

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Sorry this is such a PITA for you to get resolved. Sucks that Apple doesn't offer up multiple budget friendly choices with all the features you (many people) want/need like the Windows world does. I feel for ya being stuck in this tiny box.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I think I got you and Josh confused, with all the talk of 17" screens, I mistakenly thought you were looking at portables.

It's a shame the iMac doesn't have any expansion possibilities (the 17" MPBs at least had an expansion slot where someone could potentially add on a USB3 card). A big gripe of mine is how Apple pared down the product line (too much in my opinion) to where your only "monitor-less" desktop options are a Mac Pro (which is too much computer--and too pricey--for most) and a Mini (which, like the iMac, isn't very expandable). It's not like the glory days of the beige machines, where you could choose between a desktop or a tower configuration based on your needs/budget.

Maybe a good compromise between the newest model and upgrading old hardware would be just to buy one generation (or two) down from the newest? Often, you can get certified refurbished Macs direct from Apple that are just a model cycle or two from current at a lower price point. Would still likely be new enough to give you the speed and features you want, but not be extortionately expensive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The current iMac is 465 days since update. If it gets a price drop after an appreciable update, it would be a good option.

The Mac mini I just don't like, without a major price cut or big spec boost.

Mac Pro is just a cruel joke.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And as January draws to a close, and as I wait (and wait and wait) for Excel to launch, I hope Apple releases new computers soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And as January draws to a close, and as I wait (and wait and wait) for Excel to launch, I hope Apple releases new computers soon.

I wouldn't expect them until Q4. WWDC is in June and even then they may not announce new Macs until October/November.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't expect them until Q4. WWDC is in June and even then they may not announce new Macs until October/November.
Boy, you could be right. I hadn't considered the issue of WWDC. I can't figure why Apple would wait another year before refreshing the 1.5 year old iMac and 2.5 y.o. Mac mini.

But it could be. The last time Apple said they had great things coming, IIRC, nothing happened until the end of the calendar year. It could be the same this year.

Well, that would give me more time to save for the purchase. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave, I am 99.9% positive on this.

And, in fact, WWDC will probably just be focused on the next OS X and iOS.

Around September, it will be iPhone, Apple Watch (and maybe) the three new iPads.

It won't be until October, my guess, that the new iMac will be unveiled.

If Sam Posten agrees with me on this, I will feel a hell of a lot better about my speculation.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope, I expect Kaby Lake iMacs in March. WWDC at the latest. Apple know's that the pro-sumers that have been their early adopters are getting atnsy, I expect something, anything in first half.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks