What component wires to get & where to get them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Dec 19, 2002
    Does it make a difference in which wires you use for component? Where should i buy these? Can i go to radio shack? Thx.
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    First, you need to understand that ordinary component video tops out at 4 Mhz. But progressive video to a HDTV goes as high as 13 Mhz and 1080p video goes up to 35 Mhz.
    I usually recommend the Acoustic Research brand (Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot) or Radio Shack for 'modest' systems.
    When your system becomes 'sensitive', the cable could be a factor and then you should go to one of the custom cable sites like www.bettercables.com and get some professional-grade coax and connectors.
    By 'sensitive' I mean your system has one or more of the following criteria:
    - Display size greater than about 40 inches
    - Long run greater than .. 12 ft
    - Display is a HDTV that up-converts the signals
    - You are pushing progressive/HD video.
    So while you CAN use Radio Shack cables and they will work, members have reported visible differences when switching to BetterCables for large displays.
    And keep a few things in mind:
    - The high-end Monster component cables, CV300, sells for about $220.
    - Better Cables start at about $90 for compariable/superior quality.
    - Set an upper limit on the cost of the cables to be 10% of the TV cost. (Yes, this means for a $2500 HDTV the high-end Monster cables are not out-of-line.)
    Hope this helps.
  3. Bill_Jackson

Bill_Jackson Auditioning

Oct 28, 2002
    When I upgraded to a 53" Panasonic HDTV, I bought all of my cables through
    I bought the following Acoustic Research Pro series cables: 6' component video, 6' digital coax, 6' digital optical,and 25' subwoofer.
    When tested back to back against the "Monster Cable 3" component video cables, there was no diffference in video quality, only price! ($33 vs. $70).
    Panasonic HDTV 53WX42
    Philips Progressive Scan DVD 793CH
    Onkyo R500 Surround Receiver
    Onkyo SKS Surround Speakers
    Onkyo SKW-110 Subwoofer 150w