What component cable do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by James R. Muratt, May 7, 2003.

1. James R. Muratt

James R. Muratt Auditioning

I'm about to set up my new 57" Sony HDTV with Comcast Digital Cable with HDTV and also to a progressive scan dvd player. What component cables do you recommend? Also, will I need component cables for both the dvd player and the Comcast cable box? Does the HDTV cable box come with cables? Thanks for the help!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Tweaks/Connections/Accessories.

3. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

If the box comes with cables I'm sure they'll be cheap ones. If you search is forum there's lots of discussions on component cables. Just type "component cables" into the box above and you will be immersed in a wealth of knowledge. I just bought some IXOS 171av cables from accessories4less.com myself and I'm happy with them, though my set-up is very humble.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The smart money is usually spent on custom cables. These cost at the most about the price of Monster Video 2 cables, but you get HD rated, professional grade coax and connectors.

You should plan to run HD video straight to your display unless your receiver has HD-Rated component switching. Just because it has component inputs does not mean they are rated for the HD frequencies.

A lot of people quickly use up all their inputs, then get another source (like an XBox). This thread on Inexpensive HD Video Switching has lots of neat discussions and suggestions.

Hope this helps.

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Recommend a search function as pertains to your question.

Boundary lines are cost/performance, hardware to be inter-connected, wallet size..... and your discerning eye and possible other steps you have taken to address the cleanest signal you can deliver to your monitor, or said display device.

Sounds like fun... good luck. It's a long list of component cables... you just need to define the criteria of search.
    Personally, I like the Zu Megular... ymmv

BOK

7. JoshuaR

JoshuaR Agent

I will second MarkO's suggestion in BlueJeans. I ordered several cables from them and got superb turnaround time.

8. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I will third the BlueJeans Cables. I bought the 7710A Component Cable, and it works great, with a very good price.

9. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    For a set-up like yours, these should do just fine and not hurt your wallet.

COMPONENT CABLE

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

While Component cables will work for your HDTV, keep these max frequencies in mind:

Component: 4 Mhz
    Progressive: 13 Mhz
    1080 HD: 35 Mhz

Look on the package to see if it says something about "HD Bandwidth/frequencies". If not, the cables were not really designed with progressive/HD in mind.

The custom sites usually give/show frequency response data for their coax. The key is to look for Belden/Canare coax and insist on the Canare RCA plugs.

11. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I too vote for Blue Jeans Cables--excellent turnaround. They use both Belden and Canare wire.

Check out Jon Risch's site for his take on cables.

Also try Audio Asylum where Jon posts regularly.

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter