What's new

What complete home theater system to get under $1000???? (1 Viewer)

Dennis_N

Agent
I am purchasing a home theater system for a friend who is just starting with home theater (I am not well versed in it either). He currently has a Denon 1802 receiver and I was looking to get him a home theater system as a wedding gift. What would be a good entry level system (complete) for under $1000? I was thinking maybe the Energy Take 5.2or something like that. The room he is in is 18 x 14 so it isn't small but it isn't big either......any suggestions as to products and where to get them would be helpful (I prefer to shop online....I would be taking your word on the sound of the system that you recommend considering I will not be able to listen to these systems unless they have them at circuit city/the wiz/etc.)
Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Dennis

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Denis,

Check out etronics.com they have this,

JBL NSP1 speaker system + JBL PB12 $449

Recievers
ONKYO SR600 $445
DENON 1802 $380
Pioneer 811 $300
H/K AVR225 $377

Any match you make will be lower than $1000, I think all of the above reciever are very good and with the NSP1 you will have a very good system.

Hope this helps
Pablo Abularach

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
if you just need speakers. Get jbl s38s in the front s center and s26 surrounds. I got a pair of s38s and an s center for under 500 after taxes 2 weeks ago

Dennis_N

Agent
Yes, I am just looking for a speaker system for under $1000, he has a Denon 1802 already. I am obviously looking for the highest quality equiptment for the money. I haven't looked around too much except for the Energy system. What about B&W? Do they make anything cheap enough?? I have always heard good things about them. Anything else? I'll take a look at those other systems.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend similar to Jesse. jandr.com currently has the series I S26 for $160 a pair including shipping. There are several S-CenterII on Ebay with the buy it now for $140 (US shipping $20). So two pair of these, the S-CenterII and then add an SVS 25-31PCi($500) for a sub totals $980 plus the SVS's shipping.

Or see what you can get from the 4 links Brian gave, but stay away from their subs. Then add an SVS 25-31PCi($500), Hsu VTF2($450) or Adire Rava ($400) for the sub.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
HI,

I second Brian's recommendation to check out the systems offered from ascend acoustics. BTW, they offer systems that include the HSU VTF-2 subwoofer that is highly recommended on this board.

Good luck!

Heath_R

Stunt Coordinator
I got 2 Pair of Axiom M3's and a VP100 from audioshop.on.ca for a little over 600, take the rest and get a adire rava and you have a very nice system.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
The cheapest B&W system you could get would list at $1,170 for 2 pairs of DM303 ($300), LCR3 ($220), and ASW300 sub ($350).

You could also put together a PSB Alpha system for $1,026 list price with 2 pair Alpha B ($249), Alpha C ($229), and Subzero sub ($299).

These are some I am considering in addition to the ones already mentioned. Depending on the dealer, you may be able to swing some discounts.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you understand the layout of his room and the new Wife Approval Factor considerations. Will he be able to mount the surrounds on the wall? Where is the center speaker going to go? Are the mains going to need stands? Speaker size and placement is a huge issue in my family. It might be with his new wife as well. Especially if it is a joint home they haven't lived in together. I think most women would consider an SVS sub huge and ugly.

If he knows you are getting him this present see what limitations there might be. Price/performance, the JBL setup is good. I recommend the S Series if you are looking to spend a $1000. The Energy Take 5.2 is highly praised, and the Polk RM 7200 has received several great reviews and is very attractive.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dennis,

I just noticed that ascend acoustics is having a summer sale. I think you can get a complete 5.1 system with CBM-170s and the Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer for under $1100 delivered!

this IS a helluva deal..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks